Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
edenssixthday

Detestable Putrescence

Melty vanilla ice cream!

Wow. This is most definitely a melty vanilla ice cream! It's perfect. Vanilla lovers do not hesitate to try this...it is so yummy!

This smells like a simpler version of Love's Philosophy to me. It's very sweet and rich, very buttery. I like it a lot, and I think it'll be great in sticky summer weather.

Vanilla, butter, cream, and sugar.

Nyom nom nom num num num num :thud:

Winner! If this ever gets discontinued I'm sure people are going to freak the f*** out. It is very realistic and totally delectable. Love!!! :wub2:

I'm up for trying anything vanilla. This definitely reminds me of vanilla ice cream, although there is an artificial undertone lingering in the background. On me, it's very rich. Actually better on me than in the vial, but still a bit two-dimensional. I'm glad that I was able to try this but would never buy a bottle. The decant will be awesome for layering experimentation, though. I find the description to be spot on, so if melty vanilla ice cream is your thing, try it out.

Just got this today as part of a swap and I love it! I was worried at first because in the bottle I could smell the plastic/artifical undertone that other reviewers have mentioned but the moment it hit my skin that disappeared and I'm left with a soft sweet vanilla - a very comforting scent and long lasting too, I put this on about 8hrs ago and although it's fading down now it's still holding on.

let me premise by saying that foody is not my thing, but somehow i got ahold of some of this. it smells like creamy buttered popcorn to me. kind of going rancid. there's a weird almost buttery-cheesy scent that i am not liking, so off to swaps with this one.

This... isn't doing it so much for me. I tested it alone yesterday and with Smut 2012 today, and it's just not doing what I expected it to do.

I expected a bit of cold, and rich vanilla cream. What I got was a 'cold' scent that is not playing well with my nose (I suspect mint as a factor) and very heavy on the cream, not so much with the vanilla. And it's not sugared at all. This is not a sweet vanilla.

I disappointed myself, really, as I was hoping for what would basically amount to a vanilla SN that would give some depth to some other blends I have, but really, it just turns to weird doll-plastic scented with a child's vanilla perfume gone slightly sour.

Sad. Off to sales.

This did not work on me at all...This was a VERY buttery vanilla, which the longer it sat on my skin, turned into a plastic-y burnt smell! Into the swaps it goes! :(

This is really.. burned plastic! Yuck! I so want to like this, but.. it is just very chemical and I can hardly stick my nose anywhere close to my wrist. :(

I tried this at C2E2 today. I thought I might get the plastic note others have mentioned, but it was not so. Hooray! It's very sweet in the bottle and on my skin it also starts out very sweet, but within a few minutes it settles and deepens just a bit. It has almost a ... spice note? As if I am smelling vanilla bean flecks floating in melted vanilla ice cream, which give it an earthier quality and temper any out of control sweetness.

Pretty big throw on me too, as I could smell it pretty strongly for quite a while after that.

The Mr. really liked it, and after the initial sweetness wore off, I really liked it too, even though I would not say I am (often) a foodie. If I'm going to wear a foodie scent, it can't be sickly sweet, and on me, this wasn't. I thought it would be because I tend to amp sweet. Contemplating a bottle.

I bought a bottle at C2E2, and have worn it a few times, I like it, it has a vanilla smell with a light butterscotch. I dont smell the plastic or chemical scents that other people have stated, even after all day. This bottle is a keeper for me.

ITB: Vanilla ice cream with caramel drizzled on top.

Wet: It's an odd vanilla ice cream now, like something artificial and chemically added to it.

Dry: It smells like vanilla, honey (which is a no-no one me), and beeswax for some reason.

You know I think coffee and basically any strong food consumption has a part to play in the playdoh factory factor. I retested this morning before I drank any coffee and its exactly as described by the lab and quite brilliant. The wet phase made me think "well, does vanilla ice cream really smell that good after all? I mean this is dead on but I never thought about how it actually smells..not that great!" Then a couple minutes later its all floaty soft sweet creamy vanilla. This worked out!

I noticed this scent changed slightly after I drank a bit of coffee. Its quite reactive to skin chemistry/what you consume. I've never seen a scent do this so obviously!

When I was at the BPAL booth at Dragon Con 2 years ago, someone asked Beth if she had a vanilla single note. My ears perked up, and Beth made some witty retort about how she had the vanilla of all vanillas, and I was introduced to Detestable Putrescence. (I was also sucked into a BPAL time warp where I lost 4 hours, nearly blinded by the glory of our beloveds, but that's another story...).

I wouldn't guess it was melted vanilla ice cream. It reads to my nose like a Godiva liqueur: sweet, thick, vanilla, boozy, cream. It also kind of smells like raw sugar cookie dough, with a TON of vanilla extract...like, the Devil's vanilla extract: the bottle's shoved full of sticky, black vanilla pods and filled up with the richest, most magical extract EVER. It's not human. It has a tangy note that could be cherry/almond, booze, or milk, but I don't recognize it from other blends. It's strangely not straight up foody, though, as it dries on the skin. It's fleshy, sexy, and absolutely wearable for me. It's a dark, dark vanilla for SURE.

Yeah. It's awesome. I have a bottle. Aaaand people want to eat me.

So, I get the slight plasticy undertone other have mentioned... but I kinda sorta like it? It's definitely vanilla, really, really sweet, but sexy as well... I also agree with the raw cookie dough interpretation, but in addition, I think it smells a lot like super sweet condensed milk drizzled on top of vanilla ice cream... For people from Lousiana, this reminds me of the way condensed milk on top of a snowball tastes. :yum:

Edited by MiasmaResonance

In bottle: Buttery, warm vanilla - a little fake smelling.

Wet on skin: Still super buttery, but it's starting to smell less like fake vanilla and more like buttercream frosting.

Dry, after about an hour: Definitely more mellow and creamy. Still a little butter, but mostly just cream and vanilla.

Final thoughts: I will probably layer this scent with others to sweeten them up, or maybe use a little bit of it in my unscented hair products to get them a light fragrance. It's pretty, but not something I'll wear a lot of on its own.

I've been realizing I like vanilla in a lot of my perfumes, so I blind ordered a bottle of this.

Unfortunately, it started out with a big kick of nauseating butter (I am not a fan of butter notes in perfume). Thankfully the butter dissipated fairly quickly, but what was left behind was an overly sweet, creamy vanilla that my stomach and nose were not fans of. In the drydown, the cream note became more and more pronounced - and also plasticky. I wonder if something in here is also in Snow White, because by the end the synthetic plastic smell strongly reminded me of how Snow White fails on my skin.

About my nose and my scent preferences: I'm a massive foody. My favorite scents are vanillas and sugars and creams, earthy spices and baked goods. Right now, I mostly am in love with Captain Lilith (rum cake and hot toddies), Eat Me (which is like a foody staple), and Gingerbread Snakes (generally for laying because I amp cinnamon like woah but it's really nice under other scents). Scents that I don't like and don't work for me include anything with vetiver, civet, or the "strong" musks, kitchen spices like sage and by extension, frankincense, leather and some tobacco.

In the bottle: Very cloying vanilla, almost unpleasantly so. It reminds me of vanilla extract...except more bitter at the end.

Wet on wrists: Still bitter, but not too bad. A little strong in the vanilla department because there's nothing in here to temper it.

Drying down: I finally understand what "plastic" means when people have mentioned vanillas from the lab going plastic. Ten minutes later and it's actually turning sour, like melted vanilla ice cream on a sidewalk starting to turn... It's got a very sour milk smell on me.

Verdict: Washing it off after 15 minutes.

Burnt plastic. :-( And I had such high hopes.

Update: After settling for several days this suddenly became a wearable melty vanilla. It still veers towardsplastic on occasion but I can usually wear it. Works well as a layering scent.

Edited by Bulletslc

This is definitely a vanilla that veers toward plastic. It's an odd, old, bitter, vanilla smell. After several hours and it's dried down and been on the skin for a while I do finally get a sort of vanilla ice cream scent. But it's like freezer burned vanilla ice cream that you smell from a carton that's been in the fridge for a long time.

This is a simple review.

In the bottle: light vanilla ice cream (sweet vanilla)

Wet: perfect vanilla ice cream but so light I can barely smell it, added a bit more...still not much scent though. I can smell the vanilla ice cream but I have to have my nose practically on my skin.

Drydown: No throw and super short wear time. Not sure what happen here. But I wish this was stronger! It could be a HG scent for me if it was because vanilla ice cream scents are amazing and I love them, but this one is a sad melted vanilla ice cream cone on the ground. Maybe my bottle was off? :(

Maybe I should track down a fresh imp some day...maybe the result would be better.

In the bottle: Before I've even unscrewed the cap I smell vanilla and coconut. Is it coming from the bottle? The tape around it provided by the swapper smells like it. Vanilla, coconut & mint. In the bottle it smells like vanilla, slightly like ice cream, and slightly like baked goods. I really hope this will be manageable for my vanilla-sensitive nose.

On: vanilla lipbalm. Artificial and slightly buttery. Then a coconut jumps in, unfortunately also that reads artificial to me and something smells "plastic" which I've never encountered with coconut before. It dries on my skin and gets quieter. From a distance I smell coconut and up close it's slight vanilla-y tan-lotion.

Okay so, time passes and the sun tan-lotion fades. And what is left is a subtle, sweet and faint vanilla that I really enjoy! I'm happily surprised by this. I don't mind the lotion stage at all, to be honest. And this is not bad!

In the bottle, I not only get melty vanilla ice cream, but also the delicious waffle cone it's in.

Wet, there's almost a boozey note to it - like the ice cream is drizzled in rum caramel. Nom nom nom.

After about 10 mins, I get a really weird almond extract note, nose to skin. The waft is more of a buttery vanilla. It wants to go plasticy, real bad. But in the end it doesn't.

Overall, I don't really know how I feel about this. The waft is fairly nice, but nose to skin there's a weird note in there. I will likely give this a try layering, as that was sort of what I wanted it for anyway. Hmmm. Undecided!

I love this one, just straight up vanilla ice cream. not too cloying, not too sweet, just a really simple and delicious vanilla with a hint of warmth.

I honestly wear this one to bed a lot OR mix it with Stekkiarstaur when i just want to feel totally overhwhelmed by vanilla-y goodness.

Edited by bridgetvoid

You think it will never happen to you, but then one day...

I thought the burned plastic smell was something that happened to other people. It's something you read about on the news, and shake your head, and say, "What a shame," and then forget about and go on with your day.

Oh boy was I wrong. This smells like someone melted a plastic jug that happened to contain a cheap vanilla candle. Why, oh why?

hah! this is perfectly apt for me.

Vanilla with some vile plastic scent in the bottle — maybe whatever's in my chemistry is so aggressive it doesn't even wait for the skin test. Seriously, I recoiled from the bottle, wondering if it had spoiled somehow. Goes on as vanilla ice cream for about three seconds, and then some horrific cheap plastic note smothers everything. I had to scrub it off before it even finished drying.

I've done fine with most other BPAL vanillas, so I wonder what went wrong here. This is similar to whatever is in French Vanilla.

Edited by Soupy Twist