Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
edenssixthday

Detestable Putrescence

Melty vanilla ice cream!

Sometimes vanilla can react really badly with my chemistry, so ordering two bottles blindly was definitely a risk. Thankfully this is a vanilla I can get behind. :yum: This is melty vanilla ice cream. Wonderful strong thorw, which is unsual for me, as foody blends don't seem to last. Perfect scent for the winter. Warm, comforting and extremely intoxicating. Edited by Schmoozy

My bottle came today and it wasn't as sweet as I was expecting. I'd call it a high end gourmet vanilla ice cream .... buttery but less sugar.

This one was one of those, here, then gone, here, then gone again scents.

It started out very vanilla, then as i'm sniffing at will call, dang it, it faded. Then like, 30 minutes later, wait, it's back! Then.........gone. Then, BACK. I thought it had finally faded when suddenly i'm smelling straight up vanilla ice cream. It doesn't have the throw or staying power to really warrant me getting any of it though.

Delicious French vanilla with a slight creme brulee feel to it...this is wanting to go plasticky on me every few minutes, but not staying that way, so I think it's going to work out fine. It's STRONG, too. Yum.

As others have mentioned, this is very very Midway-esque to me.. DP has a more buttery vanilla about it, and as ifinena said it seems "thicker", but really they are so much alike!

Putting aside the Midway doppelgänger phenomenon, this is an absolute must-have for any fans of soft creamy vanilla. When I first put it on, I thought I detected something brown in there, like crème brûlée (which I just saw Iceblink also mentioned) but the vanilla was definitely the predominant note. It goes a little plastic-ish around the edges at about the 10-minute mark, but thankfully that phase passed quickly. After 45 minutes on my skin, it's dried down to more of what I was expecting - melted vanilla icecream. This, to me, is just right - it's not too sweet, not too buttery, perfect-o.

There's nothing putrid about this at all, it's delicious!

ETA: when I was wearing this today, two people said they could smell popcorn :o

Edited by sunshinedaisybliss

I am starting to get a sinking feeling that my skin just hates vanilla. This is leaving me slightly panicky as vanilla is one of my FAVORITE smells in the world. At any rate, Detestable Putrescence went the way of Dana O'Shee with me. It smelled lovely in the bottle. It smelled just like sniffing a bottle of vanilla extract.

And then I put it on. Ugh. For a few blessed seconds, all was right with the world. Then the smell went abruptly sour. It smelled plasticky and artificial--and not as much as in DO'S but yes, the diaper was there as well.

I am a wreck. :( But at least I know that there are a lot of others who will love this to bits, so I bet it won't stay on my swap list for long.

Detestable Putrescence alternates between mouthwatering vanilla bean ice cream (exactly like it) with lashings of butterscotch to waxy vanilla candle. And I think it's leaning toward candle as it dries. It actually smells like Yankee Candle's Sugar Cookie scent now.

I don't think anyone could ever find this offensive, but it's a bit bland after the lovely wet stage. If I had a scent locket and more than a half decant of this, I would probably try to fix this so that it stays more true to its first stages, but oh well. Glad I tried it.

I don't find anything really bad about this scent, but it's nothing really amazing on me, either. It's a sort of generic vanilla candle scent on me and it fades fairly quickly.

I really loved this scent in the bottle. It smelled like delicious yellow cake mix. On my skin it went kind of sweet creamy ice cream...but I wanted it to stay cakey. :( It's still lovely though, and I'm curious how it will age.

I LOVE vanilla, so I was very excited to try DP. I had hoped it would be like Love's Philosophy, and it was...in the bottle. Once I put it on my skin, however, it had a burnt sugar-cinnamony scent that was rather strong. It was also a little plasticky. It ended up smelling a lot more like burned caramel on cinnamon toast than the creamy vanilla I was hoping for, and was ultimately very spicy. :cry2: The search for another vanilla love continues!

i totally forgot to try this at the DSWC, but it sounded like it was a no-fail scent, so i ordered a bottle.

and it smells like a mix of a waxy, vanilla scented candle and coconut suntan oil.

(i hate coconut, and anything that's the least bit coconutty is a total turnoff for me)

there was a second there when i first opened the bottle that it smelled alllmost like Yankee Candles Buttercream scent. but only for a second, and then it was waxy vanilla candle.

and Coppertone.

and now i have to go scrub this off or else i won't be able to sleep :sick:

bottle: vanilla and... something. it's creamy but not ice cream creamy. though it's been so long since i had ice cream perhaps that is what it smells like...

wet: vanilla and an almost coconut scnet int he backdrop. there is a faint bit of plactic tot eh vanilaa/sugar part but it's only if i press my nose up against my wrist to huff it.

dry: the plastic scent has remained unfortunately. so it's vanilaa and coconut at a distance, but plastic when sniffed up close. darn.

You think it will never happen to you, but then one day...

I thought the burned plastic smell was something that happened to other people. It's something you read about on the news, and shake your head, and say, "What a shame," and then forget about and go on with your day.

Oh boy was I wrong. This smells like someone melted a plastic jug that happened to contain a cheap vanilla candle. Why, oh why? :cry:

Oh well...probably better off, it means I'm getting close to enough scents to start swapping away the ones I don't like, rather than leaving them in the back of my box.

This vanilla makes seem Love Philosophy sour and harsh, if this can convey how sweet it is. It`s creamy, super white and fluffy and yes, it`s ice cream with a gigantic throw!! What`s not to love!

Forbidden to no foodies!

In the bottle it really smells to me just like melted french vanilla ice cream. On me however, it smells like ice cream that had something really bad happen to it. I can't place it, not quite plastic but somewhat like burnt sugar. I'm gonna let this one age a bit and then try it again.

Didn't change much from bottle to dry for me, it really is melty vanilla ice cream. I just threw back on the same hoody I threw on yesterday after trying it, and it's still there, heh.

Sometimes I think there is chocolate, but probably it's my mind playing tricks because I've smelled more melted chocolate ice cream than melted vanilla ice cream, or something.

I don't know how I can smell that it is "melting," but I can.

I don't think I'd have ever have blind ordered a bottle of this one, so I'm so lucky I got to try it at the meet n' sniff, because I think I want some now.

As a side note, I enjoy reading up on the stories that inspired BPALs I like, if I don't remember them too well. Valdemar's name sure is close to another, more modern literary figure who is kind of dead-but-not-really. Coincidence????? It brings me great joy to think that I smell like melted Voldemort. :)

When I first applied this it didn't smell good at all. It smelled fake and I could smell butter, caramel and something burned, it was really odd. I definitely didn't smell any melted vanilla ice cream. After an hour or so it still didn't smell like melted vanilla ice cream but it started to smell really good. Smooth and creamy vanilla and caramel. Note to self: do not slather this one!!

In the vial: Vanilla and umm...plastic? :ack:

Wet: Woaahhh vanilla plastic! This reminds me of those scented dolls from the 80s.

Dry: Uhh uhhh plastic plastic plastic with a little bit of vanilla. Gotta wash this one off.

Overall: Not good.

in the imp, this smelled delicious... yummy, sweet, buttery vanilla goodness!

on me, it smells like a dollar store vanilla candle. No sweetness, just all plasticky, flat and boring. :(

I had a candle that was scented just like this when I was 12.

In the imp: french vanilla candle. Now let me note that I LOVED that candle.

Wet: Kind of losing the waxy note that I was getting before, but maintaining that atmospheric vanilla... like vanilla poutporie (sorry I can't spell that one).

Dry: Fades to a less intense pleasant vanilla. Not really my thing.

Overall I will probably keep the imp and see how it layers with other things, but I am not going to be wearing this all by its lonesome.

I HAD to try this, even for the name. Vanilla scents always call to me, some turn plasticy, and some are great. This one on me, is of the non-plastic variety. However, it is sickenly sweet. Really, only a dab will do with this one. I'll know better for next time. This one will layer well with blends that need a bit of sweetness, I'll be Snake Oil would be nice here. Glad I have the imp, but won't need a bottle.

I love this. I will agree with the reviews that say it smells like a buttercream/candle/suntan lotion/coconut kind of scent, but then that's coming from someone who loves those scents. I'll add that when I first put it on, I'm reminded of "O". There's that same kind of smoothness. I love the creamy vanilla sweetness and just like the description says, it's melty vanilla ice cream. Specifically the kind that isn't the least bit cold anymore and all frothed up at the bottom of a bowl. The sugars are much more concentrated and the vanilla-infused cream is rich and foamy. As time goes by, it just gets better on me. I'm going to try layering it with lots of other oils cuz I think I'm bound to hit upon something really incredible. Keeper.

I am with Molls and Monster - this quickly turned to vanilla plastic on my skin. I had to wash it off.

Funny enough I was eating some vanilla ice cream right before I tested this and had some of the melty goodness left to smell and compare. In the bottle the scent is very comparable to the real thing. Wet it gets a bit of a coppery metallic bite to it. As it dries that note increases and the vanilla turns very bitter. It is very odd and something I'll have to test again.

I got my bottle of Detestable Putrescence in the mail yesterday and I was eager to try it out.

In the bottle- smells like French vanilla ice cream, and it's living up to the scent description

Wet on the skin- At first I panicked. It was turning a weird buttery, almost plastic like smell on my skin. I adore vanilla scents, and I really wanted this to work.

Drydown (after 15-20 minutes)- It's an odd cross between a vanilla candle and Jelly Belly Buttered Popcorn. It's leaning more towards the vanilla candle area.

Verdict- It's all right. I don't really want to smell like a candle shop or a jelly bean. I figure I'll keep it in my box and let it age a little and see if that makes it stay more melty vanilla ice cream.