Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
hkhm

Aperotos Eros

Unloving love: benzoin, Indian musk, massoia bark, myrrh, ambrette seed, galbanum, bergamot, and fir.

Wet: warm, spicy. Boozey. Interesting! I'm getting the Myrrh and benzoin, but also other notes I am not familiar with. Really different. I'm enjoying it.

Dry: Very incensey. Reminds me of something. Hard to describe though. Really interesting, but I don't think it's for me.

This oil is a viscous ambery-yellow when first applied but soon fades into the skin. When I sniff it, It smells like... someone... bottled the Psychic Eye book shop?? Of course I've always loved how that place smelled, I've been in a couple of times. I think it's all the incense and stuff that is sold there mingling together. But I'm having a hard time picking out notes here cuz my brains like "there are no notes, it's the psychic store" lol. I find myself not having much to say about this perfume because it's so well-blended I can't find the notes individually. It's piney, but not in a fresh tree branch way, like in a tree-resin kind of way. It's actually very resinous and incensey. There are lots of notes I've never smelled before (benzoin, Indian musk, massoia bark, ambrette seed, galbanum) and I can't definitively pick out the ones I can usually recognize like bergamot. I get a hint of the myrrh and the fir, and perhaps a bit of the musk rounding out the background. I quite like this, it's perfectly resinous and incensey. The throw is great, and wear length is pretty good. This is definitely on the list of awesome resin/incense blends!

Wet: It smells like Smarties and lemon juice and maybe some sort of baking spice. Kind of a powdery sweetness with just a hint of tart underneath.

Dry: I smell like wet wipes.

If this smelled the way it smells wet for the whole time I was wearing it, I would love it. Unfortunately, it only smells good for about two minutes before it turns all chemically on me.

Fir is one of my death notes, but I'm surprised and pleased to say that although extremely present, it hasn't set off a migraine yet, and it doesn't seem too overwhelming in the overall feel of the fragrance. In the imp, it's very resinous, incensy, and spicy. Wet, it retains the same scent, but there's a woodsy undertone with a prominent fir. As it begins the dry, the myrrh and ambrette soften it, while the massoia bark (I imagine?) gives it a somewhat stiff feel. The bergamot gives it a slight citrus high note, but it's buried under the resins. It goes back and forth between soft-and-incensy and woody-and-stiff, until I think it settles into the happy medium, a spicy, woody fragrance through drydown. It's lovely but not for me. To the imp swap box!

Oh this did not work on my skin at all, I think ambrette seed is my death note to end all death notes. I smell like I got sick in front of a tree. I needed to scrub to get it off. Not for me, sorry!

Last night I tried Alecto and thought I smelled pine instead of vetiver, and tonight I'm testing a scent with fir and I thought it was vetiver. :laugh:

Anyway, starts out as a dark green blast and then becomes woodier, and at that point I like it, but then I start amping the musk way too much and it becomes overpowering. Alas.

AE is deep and dark and orangy when wet -- I smelled a lot of bergamot, which is a favorite note of mine. But on drydown something cologne-y takes over. I'm guessing this is the benzoin because I had a similar experience with Nun and the Courtly Lady, and bergamot and benzoin are the shared notes. It becomes quite lovely when thoroughly dry but very faint on me, despite my having reapplied it. And since I don't like the drydown phase, I'll probably swap this one.

I wasn't really expecting to like this one, but I really do. I get the musk, fir, and bergamot most. The biggest surprise for me is that the myrrh isn't completely changing to soap in this one. I'm so pleased! Myrrh has ruined so many otherwise lovely scents that I thought for sure this would be added to that list. The bergamot gets a bit stronger when it dries, and the overall scent is a touch sweeter. I'm counting this one as a win in my books.

In the imp, it smells like a really authentic head shop - the kind thats on a a side street and sells herbs in glass jars and the owner is barefoot. is that the Indian Musk? the Myrrh? i don't know but i love/hate it. on my skin, it lightens up a bit, and has a tang that balances the headiness, which i am guessing is the bergamot and pine. i really like it. i am so going to wear this when i am in my hippie mood in the summer with bare feet and tye-dye dresses.

Edited by cassiejaynebunk

I just love this one. It's hard for me to separate the notes clearly, none of them are bullying the others. It's deep, dark, musky, resinous, and incredibly sexy to me in a severe, domineering way. This lights up the same part of my brain that my beloved leathers do. We'll see how long my imp lasts me, this may have to be a bottle someday.

In the imp: My first thought was 'This smells dark... almost callous! Like watching someone from afar and longing for them to acknowledge you.' The actual scents took another moment or two to register, with a generalized sensation of woods and muskiness. Harder to pick out specific notes though.

Worn: On the skin, the darkness goes soft and deep, it's not callous or cruel anymore, although it's still shadowed. I don't know the notes in this one as well as I'd like to be able to name them, but I can pick out the musk, a spice that my spreadsheet called 'bright-sharp' in feeling, and some sort of very sweet wood or resin. Overall, though, I'd consider this more of a blended scent, with the notes giving an overall impression, rather than being distinct.

Long dry down: This continues to mellow, and becomes a deep, shadowy, sweet woody incense. It's not something I'd wear daily, but contrary to how I felt sniffing it in the imp, with it on, I feel like I'm the person someone is longing for and I know I'm not interested! It's an interesting switch, and for me, something of a comforting feeling, as well, sometimes it's nice to feel beautiful and untouchable and distant. Definitely worth holding onto the imp for when I need to bring that emotion up, or when it's cold and I just want something deep and sweet. Definitely feels like a winter-wear scent to me, somehow, rather heavy and dark for summer or spring.

Wet: Resinous woods. The fir and Indian musk are standing out the most.

Dry: More woods than resins now. Woodsy scents aren't really my thing, so this is a pass for me. However, I think a lot of people would probably enjoy this. It's like.. sexy resinous woods.

My notes for this said only "Try again," so I am.  I think Indian musk must be similar to red musk, or at least that's how it's behaving on my skin.  In other words, this is all about the musk for the first hour or so.  After that, I begin to get resins and some dark woods, but it's still dominated by the musk.  I can't make out bergamot or ambrette.  My overall impression is of red musky woody resins, dark and unisex without a lot of sweetness. 

I got a frimp of this in my recent order, and it sounded interesting so I gave it a whirl.

I got a lot of what I think is pine in the imp, which was off-putting but onwards.

On, it starts off very resinous, with a hint of that same pine smell. Not something I'm very fond of. But as it grows on the skin it sweetens, and I think I can pick out musk as well.

This is one of those perfumes that falls under "I like it, but I don't think it's me". I oh so like it. A deep resinous undertone, a slightly musky sweetness dominating, and a hint of sharpness, probably the fir, stopping it from being too cloying. It's lovely. It's just not me.

I don't have the most sophisticated nose I think when it comes to picking out specific scent notes.

However, I was very surprised when opening the imp and sniffing it, I was smelling something like pine, fir or cypress. This is actually a note in the blend I was happy to see!

After about 5 minutes the very fir note gets less heavy and the scent gets a little sweeter, which I guess is the musk and the myrrh together. 

This is definitely my type of scent, but I need a little bit more time to know how the scent develops. What I smell now is beautiful and again, my type of scent, but because of that also not very adventurous (I know, I know, always something to complain about, eh!).

A generous frimp from a BPALer :smilenod:  

Wet: I'm getting fresh orange and geranium (?) although maybe that's actually the bergamot.

Dry: my brain is saying "witch shop." 🧙‍♀️There's a pagan shop near me, and this smells like it. There's definitely myrrh, but it's something else too... I'm just now reading other reviews and they say things like "head shop" "Psychic Eye bookshop"...we're all getting the same vibe, but it's so hard to describe! :hippie:

I don't know how, but this went very, very wrong. I love fir and musk, and woodsy scents in general.

Guys, it smells like band-aids and dank BO, and never gets better. 🤢

Wet: pencil shavings

Dry: Spicy wood.  Heavy with a faint edge of something antisceptic (think Pine Sol or eucalyptus) before it dries down in to a softer version of itself with a whiff of gentle incense.

I love all these notes, save for massoia bark which I have no experience with. Should be nice!

On skin: interesting, nice galbanum note at first.

5 minutes into dry down: this.....smells exactly like balsamic vinegar. What the everlasting fuck? 

A skin chemistry fail for the ages that had to be scrubbed off with Dawn. I gotta find that Tree of Disappointment people keep talking about....

Received as an imp years ago. The oil is black almost. Thick, syrupy. Deep, deep smell. Musky, resinous, mysterious, with a bit of bright relief drizzled on there from the bergamot. I am left with an incense smell. Would definitely buy a bottle.

This is a bit all over the place for me.

It's fir and resin and musk and incense.

Very sweet and woodsy with a dark twist to it.

It's a soapy incense after a while. Very strong.

All in all, definitely not my kind of scent.

Wet: A soft brightness. Tart and delicate, a little musky, a little sweet, not quite floral but somehow leaning in that direction.

Drydown: The juicy tang of bergamot partnered by dark, dusky myrrh. It grows bolder and more masculine as it dries.

Dry: Woodsy, cool fir and sour myrrh swirled up in a storm of resins. Woodsy, sexy, dirty, and clean. I would love to snuggle up to the person that wears this 😍

8 out of 10 bones