Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
xoe

Black Cat

A very tricky kitty, indeed. Used most often as a key to bringing back the joy one needs to have in life in order for living to feel worthwhile. Brings back a sense of delight in simple pleasures, and creates a surge of childlike curiosity and a youthful sense of fun. This blend can also be used to reverse troublesome lesser crossings, create a playful air of catlike sexuality, and, because cats will be cats, it can also be used to throw minor, irritating or bothersome hexes, causing small amounts of chaos and disruption to your foes.

I didn't know anything about this scent when I ordered it. I just picked it because I really like cats. Carpe kitty!

In the imp: Mint!
Wet: Sweet, slightly musty mint.
Dry: Generic floral scent (which is what rose does on me) and a bit of mint. Boo.

Starts out very minty, with some vaguely herbal in the background. Drys down to be a soft herbal rose, slightly powdery. I ordered this to lift my spirits and in hopes of taking my mind off stressful things going on in my life. It's refreshing and uplifting when first applied, I wish that I wasn't left with just dusty rose in the end.

I don't know what I was expecting from this scent, but what I'm getting wasn't it. In the vial, this smells elegant. A very wet, green rose, and something either minty or violet-y or both. On my skin, I get more of the same. There is definitely violet in this because violet goes sort of fake play-dough plastic on my skin when it dries down, and I'm definitely getting a waft of that. It would be a very pretty smell on me if not for the violet.

Edited by calivianya

Wet this was pure licorice smelling to me. I'm glad others mentioned that because I thought maybe I was crazy. I definitely dont get the rose at all though.

On the dry down and several hours later it's definitely herbaly smelling. I can kind of see the Turkish Delight reference as well, kind of sweet smelling. The rose is not very apparent at all, thank goodness because I dont usually love rose scents. This is kind of nice though.

I didnt notice anything enegetically. I'll have to wear it again tomorrow on its own and see what I experience.

If I had to use one word to describe this scent it would undoubtedly be 'Jaunty'.

First Sniff: Much softer than I was expecting. Vanilla, musk and small white flowers. Very floral

Second Sniff: The same. I'm seeing lots of small, white, star-shaped flowers.

Wet: Lemon is the foremost scent. Marshmallow and lemon at first and under them is something fizzy, something green. The scent is high and light.

Dry (30 mins): Sherbet flowers form the main body of the scent, with the lemon twinge dancing on top of them. At the base there is a distinct foody smell - sour cream and an herb. Cumin, or perhaps dill seeds.

Dry (1.5 hours): The same, although a little mellower.

Dry (4 hours): A faded sherbet-musk. The other nuances have disappeared.

Throw: Mild.

Colour Association: Clean white and cat's eye yellow.

Well, I can definitely see where that 'cat' association comes from, but this cat is certainly not black! It's a white cat with bright amber eyes, jaunty, energetic and just a tad haughty. This is certainly an interesting and even a pleasant scent. I could see how it might accomplish the tasks in it's description, but as a perfume it is unfortunately just not me.

I'm going to go give my real black cat a hug now.

I don't have the bottle with me, and will update this post accordingly when I am able to retrieve it from home. I just wanted to write this comment to say, I've been wearing this scent since my freshman year of high school, and I am a college junior. I love it. There is something multilayered, elusive, and beautiful about it, but it loses none of its strength amidst the complexity. It has brought me strength on difficult days.

I will edit this later to include a more concrete description of the experience! I just couldn't resist writing this positive review now: it is long overdue.

Edited by ashley(?)

In bottle: Mint dominant with some rose and a bit of resin. No way am I skin testing it, I’m queasy just from the sample sniff.

First Sniff: Lemon with an undercurrent of warm vanilla.

Wet: A bit of soft leather with very faint vanilla. It smells warm and comforting so far.

Dry: I’m getting soft baby powder as it dries. I think there’s also some rose in this which is part of what’s making it so soft and lovely. There’s just enough leather in this though to make it a different sort of rose than my favorite go-to for roses, The Rose.

My Reaction: I don’t know what I was expecting from this, something dark and Halloweeny perhaps, but this was definitely not it! This was soft kitty and warmth that I had hoped to get from the reviews on Coyote. It’s comforting and reminds me of home and family. Not exactly my kitty’s scent, but with the name it’s enough to make me think of her while sniffing it which makes me happy. While I’m not sure if I like the soft baby powdery-ness this becomes, I did like how warm and friendly it smelled.

Rating 1-5: 3

Got an imp of this from a forumite! After reading all the other reviews I'm really curious about how this'll turn out on my skin, haha.

In the imp: Mint! But not a strong mint, it's more like mint leaves growing all over the yard in summertime. Very lovely.

Wet: Mint, but it's... dark? It's also a bit astringent. Cool and shadowy is how I'd put it.

Dry-down: There's a green quality coming out now. I believe I'm catching a light, powdery rose. The mint is still there and while it's still cool it's not as astringent. And there's something else in here that I can't quite place- it feels like musk but I'm not sure because it's so subtle.

Dry: Green stems, mint, soft floral, a hint of dark musk. It's brighter now and makes me think of what a black cat would smell like after rolling around in the garden on a chilly spring morning and getting mint and flowers in its fur.

Further on: It's gotten warmer. Also, my skin hasn't completely devoured this like it's wont to do with other blends.

I actually really like this. I like the mental image I'm getting with the dry stage- it's really lifting my spirits! The more I smell my wrists the more I like this. I hope subsequent tests yield the same results; this is definitely a blend for those long days at the office. I might have to get a bottle if this blend keeps being good to me. :wub2:

Edited by tharsei-thanate

Wet: rose with a strong kick of mint behind it. I swear I didn't drop any in my tea but this is so strong it seems like I'm drinking it.

Initial drydown: Overwhelming rose of the dried red rose petal variety, like falling into a huge vat of rose petals. I thought it was giving me a headache but actually I think it's taken the headache I already had and just beaten it into submission. :eek: If I sniff close up it's a dusty, herbal sort of scent, but the rosey throw is so overpowering it was quite hard to make myself do that.

Later: after a couple of hours the scent is much less intrusive, a herby, dusty rose that's actually quite pleasant. I'm wearing it at work so other effects might not be apparent, though I'm more relaxed than usual.

Edited by ReallyZeb

Blind test of a frimp from my Anniversary Phoenix order.

In Vitro Sweet and slightly sharp; perhaps mint.

Wet Floral but not cloying. I guessed at rose or jasmine. After a few minutes this was definitely floral of a type I think of as a "Mom" blend, i.e., old-fashioned and sophisticated.

Drying Much the same, still with a hint of sharpness or "brightness". The scent faded and mellowed, and at this stage reminded me of Delight ("Frangipani with rose, tuberose, and jasmine.") That night before looking at the label I dabbed on a bit and this time smelled what I described as "citrusy floral".

It was pleasant surprise to read the reviews for Black Cat and see that my guesses at the components were in agreement with so many others. I'll certainly keep this imp.

In the imp: Smells like slightly minty herbals mixed with a touch of powdery floral.

Wet on skin: Oh, I smell mint and a woodsy, dusty element. I can't tell if it's frankincense or mahogany, or sandalwood ... but something tree like.

Dry: I'm getting a very dusty fragrance of wood notes and dried rose petals.

I miss the minty backing this blend had in it's initial application. Alas, this blend goes super dry and powdery on my skin. Every time I sniff my wrist, I wrinkle up my nose - it's so dusty on me I want to sneeze.

Wet, there's a strong mint note in this for me. But a mint note that's somehow very sweet, instead of being cool and refreshing. Like cheap mint candy. Unfortunately, I don't get a dry stage at all. This pretty much completely disappears on me after 30-45 minutes. I think it's more my fault, though. I tried on Harlot's House yesterday, and that one disappeared quickly too. And so did Belle Epoque, the day before. I think it might just be because my chemistry is going wonky due to girl-part issues. So I'm gonna have to retry all of these in a week or so.

I really hope it gets better when I do, because this sounds so good on other people. If the mint eventually calms down and I get more of a rosy, spicy scent, like some other people do, I think I'd really love this.

I think I'm gonna refrain from scoring for now and wait until I have a normal chemistry.

In the imp: Kind of a sharp first whiff, I think I got something floral, like jasmine.

Wet on skin: On my skin, I get something more a combination of rose and sandalwood, with just a touch of myrrh. This is beautiful.

Dried down: Still a gorgeous sandalwood-rose.

Throw: Not much of one on me. I keep sniffing my arm for this.

Verdict: ***** This is definitely going to be a bottle buy for me. For both the scent and its possible effects.

I didn't realize this was a voodoo blend until I came here to post this so I can't speak to the utility for that purpose. As a scent, it was all wrong on me :cry2: Herbally rose that just amped into crazy roses everywhere. I desperately wanted to like it because I'm a crazy cat lady and I adore black cats, but no. Just no.

I really wanted to like this perfume, but it just turned out to be a minty floral mess on me.

Wet: MINT SO MUCH MINT.

Dry: Floral mint.

On my skin, the mint just comes through, and it stayed on my skin for quite a long time. I will not buy this again.

Wet: Rose and cool, minty herbs. Playful and smooth

Drydown: A soft, tissue-like floral. Fuzzy, powdery rose with a slightly spicy partner, like carnation or geranium. The mint, or possibly lemon balm, comes and goes. There's a waxiness that I think might be coming from chamomile or hyssop. There might be some sage or rosemary too. Overall it smells fresh, soft, and surprisingly slinky.

Dry: Creamier and clearer once dry. More energized. It’s pale, soft, creamy, crisp, and herbal, with a dusting of romantic florals at its core. Youthful, but not foolish. It feels like quiet happiness and open possibilities.

Unnamed florals and herbs are usually a risk for me, as several of them turn to soap or sharp powder on my skin. But, luckily, everything behaves in this blend! *happy dance*

7.5 out of 10 bones

Edited by BoneBone24
(updated to include more recent impressions)

First sniff (lab fresh imp) minty floral

Wet: minted rose, floral and citrus like herbal, my guess on notes is sage, a mint-could be catnip, I've never smelled essential oil of catnip, rose and sage

Drying: Rose amping but it remains sweet and floral. This would be a freshly bloomed pink rose. No soapy notes or powder. This is a rare rose indeed that stays true on my skin. It does smell like the Victorian rose in Lucy's kiss. Herbal sage note disappears unless that is adding the citrus like lemon note supporting the rose.

Drydown: There must be myrrh here. My skin amps it. Its almost cloying in its sweetness.

Final squee: a tricky kitty indeed. This is a rose blend that behaves and for that reason alone I may order a bottle. I was having a horrible day and this helped bring some levity to a difficult situation. It is worth having an imp on hand for the mood lifting property but I happen to enjoy how it smells. I have amassed several imps and will keep myself well supplied with this oil.

Edited by sprout

Holy rose! This blend is all rose to my nose, and I know better than to wear it for too long or sneezes will happen, but from what i smell I get a spicy herbal rose scent. This is another blend I would recommend to someone who loves the rose scents.

This wasn't what I expected for a scent named black cat. It has subtle rose in it, maybe dried rose actually. It's pleasant, but I have far superior roses from BPAL.

I recently bought this unsniffed because like so many others I was intrigued by the name...plus I could use a little joy in my life. Right off the bat I get rose with a brightness to it that I assume is something from the mint family. There is an herbal undertone I can't quite place but it's very light and only in the wet stage. Pretty soon everything but the rose fades and it lets its presence be known...loudly. On me the rose has a slightly creamy smell and soon reminds me of Nivea cream;like almost exactly. I quite like that smell so I am beyond happy with this kitty. As far as the 'benefits' I do find myself more cheerful when I wear it. I'm really glad I took a chance on this one.

frimp from the Lab! I have always had and loved black cats, so excited to try it!

Wet: Interesting. Hard to pick out notes. Very herbal. There's a weird bitterness that I usually only get from lily or orange blossom. It has the wet cardboard smell that I often get with lily. I'm getting something citrusy as well, but it may actually be rose, sometimes it goes "sour" and citrusy on my skin. This is getting nicer as it settles down. I think I detect some fruit? It's reminding me of Delirium, actually - rose, lemon, apple.

Dry: Roses! For sure. Something in this goes powdery on my after a while and takes over. This is just OK on me, I have lots of rose blends that work much better. Glad to have tried it, but a little disappointed that something called Black Cat didn't really work for me.

Really light rose, maybe some sandalwood? There is something bright about it as well, but it doesn't smell like lemon, or any other citrus. It's pleasant but I have roses I like better.

I had a mint for a second and it took a turn to become a herbal rose. Like a rose bush planted in the middle of an herb garden. It's a touch spicy, but only a touch. It's mostly just a mild, dry rose. It kind of becomes more of a traditional perfume as it dries and sits on the skin. It doesn't change much and lasts a pretty long time, but it's not my thing.

What an unexpected blend! I don't know what exactly I was expecting with a blend called Black Cat, but I don't think it was roses. Yet, roses is what I get. Endless, dried roses. It's pretty, but I'm not huge on rose perfumes, so I think I'll pass this imp on.

Where I'd wear this: Tea with Narcissa Malfoy