Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
xoe

Black Cat

A very tricky kitty, indeed. Used most often as a key to bringing back the joy one needs to have in life in order for living to feel worthwhile. Brings back a sense of delight in simple pleasures, and creates a surge of childlike curiosity and a youthful sense of fun. This blend can also be used to reverse troublesome lesser crossings, create a playful air of catlike sexuality, and, because cats will be cats, it can also be used to throw minor, irritating or bothersome hexes, causing small amounts of chaos and disruption to your foes.

Not sure if ANYONE has mentioned this, but black cat smells like CATNIP! Catnip, mint and the slightest hint of rose. When I was wiffing the imp I knew it was familiar... and then bam.. CATNIP! I ran to grab the catnip for my cats to do a sniff test, and the catnip scent was there.

Maybe I'm crazy.. but the very herbal scent I smell is very close to catnip. :P Atleast... to me.

Not sure if ANYONE has mentioned this, but black cat smells like CATNIP! Catnip, mint and the slightest hint of rose. When I was wiffing the imp I knew it was familiar... and then bam.. CATNIP! I ran to grab the catnip for my cats to do a sniff test, and the catnip scent was there.

Maybe I'm crazy.. but the very herbal scent I smell is very close to catnip. :P Atleast... to me.

Absolutely! I'm wearing it today, and I'm getting total catnip. Also, I'm even wondering if some of the mint-impressions people are getting might be catnip-related, too.

I actually had a cat (a black cat, too!) rubbing on me today because of this oil. Hilarious!

I definitely like it though - it's a really nice, complex scent and it does help my mood. I've already ordered a bottle.

Whoa. This scent rocks my world.

My first impression was mint - not spearmint, or peppermint, but catmint. I concur with the other reviewers who've mentioned that.

Then I got hints of chamomile (probably the catmint/catnip thing again), eucalyptus, dirt, sugared vanilla, and a touch of lemon. The overall impression is one of being outside on a green, sunny Spring morning when everything is still and covered in dew. My nose is all acquiver at the sheer delight that is this scent; the throw is great; it smells just as wonderful up close as it does wafting around me.

I want everything in my house to smell like this. I want to roll around in it. Scent my laundry with it. Scent my boyfriend with it! :P

Here's the thing: I don't usually like any of the notes people've listed for this! I hate rose; I dislike mint; lemon doesn't work on me. Heck, I don't even like some of the note impressions I listed (chamomile? Ew!). So why do I love this scent so much? :D

There is definitely going to be a big bottle of this in my future. Best frimp ever.

Edited by suileach

In the bottle -

The smell of night flowers and a distant honeydew patch. Muy yum.

First impression -

Dense, strongly beckoning, a blooming night rose garden and old, patterned furniture. Nice, but very strong on my skin, to my head.

All Told -

A fine, dense perfume. I'd say feminine, but to each their own; rosey, but ornate & balanced with herbs like fine old woodwork. I'll not wear it, but wouldn't be displeased to sense it from a distance, in passing.

i have to say that i went into this one being...apprehensive. although i've been doing spell craft for about 20 years, old-time traditional spell oil blends give me the willies. but anything for the sake of BPAL :P

in the imp: a dark, medicinal dort of rose combines with something that smells like cough syrup. meh.

wet on skin: the medicinal aspects vanish-thankfully- and what's left is something dark, like cypress, but with a more floral edge- perhaps magnolia.

dry down: the rose comes back with a vengeance. but there's a more sinister undercurrent. i'm thinking it's the cypress but the notes are so well blended, it's impossible to distinguish, which gives it mystery, which i like.

over all: not my favorite rose, but i'd keep it around for the magickal benefits at least.

::shrug::

My olfactory impression of this one concurs with suileach's, though I'm not sure I love it quite as much as she does! :P I do love it though. It goes on as a slightly minty herbal scent - this is totally different from peppermint, which I've tried in blends like Tokyo Stomp and Lick It Again and which gets a little bitter on me. This one becomes powdery and a little rosy when it dries. Soft, green, rosy-posy, and playful. Totally different from what I expected; very wearable and lovable!

In the bottle: This smells weird... this smells... oh my god, it smells like cat. Do I really want to try this?

Wet: Grassy and herbal. The kitty smell is diminished somewhat. It's throwing a lot of sweet lemon, from a distance.

Dry: This scent doesn't have a ton of throw on me. The cat musk is starting to play a little nicer with everybody else, mellowing out into a light grassy scent with a kind of dusty rose buoying it up. Very nice! :P

This scent smells, as the name reads: Cat. It smells just like a cat.

I always wanted a cat :P The scent itself is on the 'like' side and its a soft, almost minty but floral scent while having the capacity to last the whole day for me. My boyfriend really likes the scent so much that he wants to buy a bottle x.x

Black cat is a happy scent for me and I enjoy my bottle.

In the Imp: Minty furniture polish. It smells like someone dumped mint into a bottle of Pledge. Weird.

Wet: Not so polishy... still mint and maybe lemon now?

Dry: Thankfully this dried soft and spicy floral. I don't detect mint or citrus anymore. I like it but it is not very strong. (although my Voodoo (best cat in the universe) was a very laid back Zen boy, so maybe the fragrance is appropriate after all)

hrm, i liked this one at first and as a voodoo blend it really does act like a cat.

however about the 2nd time i wore this, it started to smell like old lday band-aids.

this one ia going to have to disappear.

As soon as I opened the imp, I understood what people were noting about the "lemon pledge" essence. On my skin, I soon sensed the mintyness, followed by rose. At this point, I tried it out on the 2 resident black-and-white cats, and they both got upset and backed up away from my wrist, acting very offended- this from 2 kitties who lovingling sniff and rub against the new BPAL boxes when they come in the mail! About 45 minutes after applying, the lemony-ness was mostly gone, but a linimenty-ness lingered under the rose and mint.

Really doesn't smell very "cat" to me. As for it's magically properties, I'm still in the shitty, shitty mood I was in when I decided to try it out.

Happy to get this as a frimp, not something I think I need in the future.

Minty... rosey... but definitely more rose than mint. And there's a hint of spiciness underneath. I like this, but not enough to hang onto it. One of my friends is very much into rose, and this will smell lovely on her.

Oooh, though later it starts to morph into the bandaid kind of smell. Uck. No. No no.

Too bad. I love the concept!

I put this on today!

In the Bottle

Like people have said, "cat smell." Upon a closer sniff, there's something almost aniseed in it, with a hint of grassiness and possibly lemon verbena.

On Me

Liquorice, jasmine and rose. The rose lingers around for awhile, too-- I put this on at the start of the day and I can still smell it. Excellent throw, and a complex, interesting, and utterly appealing scent.

As for the magical aspect...? I'm probably not a great guineapig at the moment because I'm kind of depressed and all over the place of late. (Then again, it's going to take more than a perfume oil to fix that, so I'm not saying it doesn't work.)

as a perfume, Black Cat is a strong blend of mint (or perhaps eucalyptus) and lemon. it’s quite medicinal, and has a “Mr. Clean” aspect to it whenever the lemon amps too strongly at first. i prefer it when the lemon dies down a few minutes later and the mint is in the foreground, because then it’s invigorating and refreshing. i also smell rose petals, but they’re faint and a little soapy. to me, it’s not really a “sexy” scent, but because it’s so cool and astringent, i can see how inhaling this would stimulate your senses and provide a burst of energy.

I've been wanting to try this one for a while and yesterday I was frimped with it from the lab!! :P

In the imp I'm getting a minty herbal smell, but it doesn't remind me of catnip (which I grow and dry, then grind in my mortar/pestle and make muslin balls for my friends with kittehs.)

I put some on my skin before lunch but I must have washed my hands because I can no longer smell it.

Put some on again. It's not *cool* like mint. It's lovely and warm. A bit grassy like alfalfa hay. Sweet. Now it is starting to smell more like catnip as it dries. I'm not getting any of the rose, jasmine, or lemon like other people. It's all warm grassy herbal.

It's very nice - going to use it a few more times and see if I need a bottle.

*edit* Got another frimp of this from the lab in my last order. Used it in my scent locket today. I'm getting tons and tons of ROSE this time!!! That is the dominating scent. And guess what else? Catnip. How odd!! I'm going to have to compare this imp to my other -- or maybe it's the difference of having it in a scent locket as opposed to my skin chemistry changing it.

Either way, it's still lovely.

Edited by TwilightEyes

Imp: Cool creamy mint (def. cat nip) touched with rose and lmen verbena or lemongrass. Really fresh and clean.

Wet: Getting some rose there, maybe chamomile? The mint clams down and starts to recede into the background. I thrust my wrist in front of my cat's face and she went a little mad sniffing around my wrist trying to find the cat nip.

Dry: Roses dominate with a touch of lemon herb over a cool minty base. Very clean and pretty, reminds me of cool summer mornings and camping.

Throw: A little below average.

Overall: I wasn't in a bad mood to begin with, but I am digging this scent anyway. It's fresh and pretty and seems like the perfect scent for sticky summer days and the warm season. I'm wavering on getting a bottle, since I'm not a fan of the karma incured by buying a possible hexing agent :P

This is eye-wateringly piercing. Any second now, my nose will explode and start running, this is so sharp. I can see why this is a Magick oil, it's incredibly potent and focused. Phew! Not for every day wear, good lord! This eventually (and suddenly) breaks down to Listerine and sandalwood, then is solely sandalwood. I think this burned my sinuses, I was sensitive for a few days to scents.

I wasn't too sure what to expect from this, but I wasn't expecting it to be a strong, sweet floral! I like it, but it was so different to what I'd expected (unfortunately, playful and sleek aren't scent descriptors, and I'm not quite sure what I expected as the equivalent - possibly something with a slightly furry spicy note to it, a subtle strength, a morphy, mecurial, tricksy element that was hard to pin down... Flowers hadn't crossed my mind) that I haven't found myself reaching for it...

Yet another freebie from the Lab! I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVED this one. LOVE.

Wet, I get mint, then rose, and then a light tea scent-- white tea? Then a sprinkling of earthy herbs.

The drydown is a powdery rose with that same herbal smell, and the minty tea recedes into the background. I never would have paired these notes together in my head, but wow. The rose just smells so lush, yet subtle. This is great. This might be a full bottle scent for the future! Again, something I never would have bought, but I love it.

My nose is not as educated as some, but I'll give this a shot anyway:

In the bottle: Sort of herbal, definently sharp. I wasn't at all sure I even wanted to try it.

Luckily, the Boy picked this one out for me to wear today, so I had to be fair and give it a shot.

On me: A bit minty, and a little incensy. Sharp, but really, really pleasant.

Also, I don't know if this is just the placebo effect (probably), but I do feel better...more joyful...when I wear this. It's like having my own personal bubble of happy surrounding me. This one might be a 5ml, if I can ever save up enough money. :P

In the imp, a soft slightly herbal rose.

Once applied it seems like a powdery musk comes into play along with the rose and a dried crushed herb of some sort.

After not to long it fades to a pale soft rose.

It is a cheerful scent and I do find that I reach for it on days I need a little luck because someone is likely to give me trouble. Maybe it is my attitude, maybe it is the oil but it does seem to work

This is pretty florally in the imp, but I decided to try it anyways. Quite fresh at first, then dries to a very soapy rose floral to me. Kind of reminds me of those round rose soaps. Definitely not for me.

I love the idea and description of this oil..unfortunately the smell does note bode quite so well with me :P

When it's wet I get a very light mint that's smothered in roses and baby powder.

Mint always goes bye bye on me so..after about literally 20 seconds..I'm just left with Roses covered in baby powder and I'm gonna say..possibly violet.

When it's dry it's the same, I smell like an old lady's powder puff! Roses, Violet (Slightly) & powder!

I definately will not be getting a bottle of this!!

Edited by ouch!

Bought an imp of this because who can resist a product which promises to throw hexes at your enemies? :D

In the vial: Minty...cat litter. (Sorry!) I have quite a few kitties and we've set up an area for them all downstairs in the basement where they can frolic and whatnot...and when the litter boxes have just been freshened, it smells just like this perfume.

Wet on skin: Actually...not bad. I thought it would really smell awful, but on my skin it smells just like a clean blade of mint leaf softened by something sweet (but not too sweet) perhaps a floral note of some sort?

Drydown: Much better than it smelled in the vial. Smells clean, minty, and herbal. Evokes a feeling of playfulness. The only comparison to this scent which comes to mind is the classic Herbal Essence shampoo before they added all those fruits and flowers...the kind that was green and had a picture of a wood nymph on the bottle.

Conclusion: Not bad but too herbal for my liking. I feel like a walking plant. I'll probably save the imp and use it for days when I know I'm going to encounter people I'm not particularly fond of to see if the hex aspect works. :P

EDIT: Wore this to work the other day and people thought it smelled like marijuana lol. It seemed to mellow down later in the day and it turned into a nice herbal. Also, the hexes thrown at your enemy? Totally real. Seriously. :D

Edited by WickedQueen918

I really loved the description of this one and was expecting to love it, but I just don't. :P

It smells like there's a floral in there, but since joining here I've discovered there's a lot of flowers out there that I don't recognize by name! Many of the imps I've ordered have turned soapy floral to me.

It does turn quite nice on the drydown, and I find that in this case, it's usually worth it to stash the imp somewhere and pull it back out in a month or two. The other notes come out more when it's let to age a tad.