Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Depraved

A salacious, lecherous, leering scent - dirty and dark, slapped with a wet sweetness. Earthy black patchouli swelling with apricot.

I got pure dirt from Depraved, no apricot at all. Looking at other reviews it makes me wonder if the imp I tried wasn't a little off. Surely there should be *some* fruit!

Wet in imp - Urrrgh, I’m just not a patchouli person. This was a lab frimp, so I thought I’d give it a try... but I can’t. I get a very faint apricot from the imp, but it’s overwhelmingly a dirt/patchouli mixture. Trade!

In the bottle: Shockingly, like apricot and patchouli. A nice sweet scent and a dark earth scent.

Wet: *blinks* Er... this smells exactly like cedar woodchips. D:

Dry: The apricot's come back a little, so... it's now apricot woodchips. Sigh.

Verdict: It was so promising in the bottle. But I don't particularly feel like smelling like a pet store. If you like woodchips, though, this is apparently totally the scent for you. Hey, at least it's made my perfume box smell nice. If I ever get a scent locket, this is definitely one for it.

2/5

Apricot! It's a fruity perfume that actually works on me! Love love LOVE the apricot in this. The patchouli is rather strong though, so this is a scent that I'll probably wear occasionally, but not all the time. Definitely give it a try.

Urgh. Not so good on me, sadly. I like the patchouli, but apparently apricot and my skin chemistry are not meant to be. Sickly sweet, but close to being a keeper. Guess that means I'll look for more patchouli BPAL :P

Not sickeningly sweet. I love the patchouli and strangely it loves me. I can't stand the apricot though. I never liked apricot in smell or in taste so this one is not for me. But this scent really does evoke the phrase "Depraved Indifference" :P

Imp: OMG...it is that dirt smell that both fascinates and repels me.

Wet: Apricot and dirt...mostly dirt.

Dry: It morphs into a nice strong patchouli. Almost a single note.

Not for me.

Ew. Apricots. Really? I'm feeling adventurous, so I'll try it anyways.

Wet. Ew. Apricots. Really?

But as it dries down the earthiness of the patchouli comes out and balances the sweetness of the apricots. It actually smells rather nice. It really does smell dirty and dark and sweet.

It fades rather quickly though (which might be due to my super dry skin atm). I won't be buying a bottle, but surprisingly, I'm keeping the imp. :P

swap test

dirty, dark, sexy apricot!!! never thouht I would say that for any kind of fruit. :P

but this is really nice fruity/earthy scent, finaly I can say I can wear fruit. :D

as it dries down, it becomes more and more patchouli, and that's fine with me because I love patchouli. :D

lasts for hours, and it only gets better.

Edited by milica

I thought there was cedar in this, my bad. I guess it's the Black Patchouli that I'm not liking, smells a little too dirty for me, though I do like other blends with patchouli in them. Not generally a fruit lover either, so this is not for me.

Bottle: Patchouli. Heavy, dense patchouli and a hint of something a bit sweet and dusty.

Wet: The patchouli does go a bit dusty and I can smell an identifiable apricot sweetness underneath it.

Dry: The apricot comes through full force and becomes the dominant note. It's a sweet, juicy apricot. I'm actually really impressed because apricot is usually not a winning note on my skin. This is a really simple scent but it is definitely more than the sum of it's part. The patchouli grounds the apricot and gives it a lot of gravitas. It's fruity and sweet without being too youthful or frivolous. The apricot adds some playfulness to the resinous patchouli.

Throw: Good.

Overall: A nice patchouli go to scent. It's casual enough for every day and the patchouli isn't so intrusive that it will stun and horrify the patchouli haters among us. Despite the awesome name ("I like your perfume, what's it called?" "It's called Depraved." "...Oh.") it seems more like a cosy jeans and sweater type of scent. Not dressy or upscale to my nose, but fun, unusual and comfortable.

Patchouli and apricot is right. Once it dries down, the patchouli becomes much more prominent though I can still detect the apricot lurking in the background if I try hard enough. I like it, but I don't think I'll wear it very often.

In the imp - An oddly green patchouli

Wet on me - A dry, dusty patchouli is still the main nore, but the sweet freshness of the apricot begins to come through

Dry on me - The apricot comes through and takes over a lot more. Unfortunately, somehow the patchouli in the background makes me think that there is something going mouldy

Overall - Mouldy apricots? :huh?: Not for me I'm afraid

In the vial: Earthy sweet, if that makes any sense. Like fresh dirt that's just been dug up but is more on the dry side.

On the skin: Yargh! I have no idea how to describe my reaction to this one. It smells dirty. In a not good way. I don't get any apricot, just ugly dirt smell. Invoking weird memories of a friend of my father's farm. No, must go wash this off.

Imp: Sweet berries and wood shavings. Huh?

Wet: Sweet berries and freshly cut wood.

Drydown: I just read the notes. Patchouli and apricots. Strange how, when wet, the scent smelled of berries and wood to my nose. As the scent dries, I'm smelling yellow peaches. Okay, now it's becoming more like apricots. The patchouli is dry, dusty and woody. It's a nice mix with the fruity note. I think that a little aging will blend the notes a bit more.

Overall: This doesn't last very long on me and the throw is fairly light. I'll need to slather this one.

I ordered this because patchouli + fruit are typically a great combination on my skin. This is like Dionysia's ditzy blonde sister with a black streak in her hair and leather panties who does business in a western saloon with a shotglass of apricot brandy always in hand. It's not as complex or voluptuous or sultry as D, but it's ... kinky. I like it on principle, but it's a little more dusty-dirty than I want to smell like in general.

Not a scent I would've ordered on my own - I tend to like things a little more complex, despite my unabashed love of patchouli. I got this as a frimp with my Bats' Day purchase, and tried it this morning.

All the rich earthiness of good patch, overlaid with juicy ripe apricots.

At first, it was a battle to the death between the two, and I wasn't sure what would win, but it actually has settled down into a lovely, slightly fruity earthiness. I don't feel depraved, I feel like a harvest goddess...quite lovely.

I received Depraved as a frimp. The apricot was undetectable on me, as the patchouli amped and became the scarily pungent scent of unwashed hippies. I had to wash it off.

Ok, I hate patchouli. I really do. It ruins blends for me, because it makes my sinuses hurt. I got this as a frimp from a lovely forumite, otherwise, I probably never would have tried it.

In the Imp: I was flinching in fear at this point. Surprisingly, it's not bothering me too much. It's kind of a nice dirt smell. Huh.

Wet: The same.

Dry: I never get apricot, but the dirt sharpens and turns more traditionally patch, so I had to wash it off. If only it would have stayed the same; I love the smell of dirt. Oh well, it was a fun experiment if nothing else!

Out of 10: First stages, 6. Dry stage, 3.

The first time I tried this, it was a solid battle between a surprisingly feisty apricot and a deep dark dirty patchouli. Too simple for me.

The second time : pencil sharpenings. I checked with someone else in case my nose was broken, but no. Then they politely asked that I not get them to smell any more bpal unless it was actually NICE. oops.

When I was young, I had a totally awesome guinea pig. Why was he so awesome? We could toss him (not literally) outside in our backyard and he would run from where ever you put him to hide under this little shrub in the garden. And I have a huge backyard, but he would do it every time. Have you ever seen a guinea pig run? It's adorable!

Now, Piglet (guinea pig's name), had a cage which we lined with cedar chips. So, when he had enough outdoors time, he would go back in the cage. The odor of his cage, fresh from the garden guinea pig and a pile of cedar chips is a really strong scent memory for me. It was tough when he went to Guinea Pig Heaven to walk by the corner where his cage was and not smell that burst of dirt and cedar.

What's with all that above, you ask?

Well, Depraved smells like Piglet's cage. Dirt and Cedar chips. Sadly, this doesn't do much for me except make my wistful for my deceased guinea pig, which, I assume, is not what the Ars Amatoria series had in mind (unless the reason you're depraved is because you get turned on by dead pet rodents....you pervert).

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this one yet!

Patchouli and fruit are one of my favorite things ever. This is love. LOVE LOVE LOVE.

That is all.

This was one my first blends I purchased when trying out the patchouli note. And fortunately other ones swayed my mind, but this one would have made me sworn it off forever. I have since learned that I cannot wear apricot, and it turns straight into a wet muddy dirts cedar mush on me. Mix that in with the black patchouli, it was the bottom of a soily river bed.

No such luck here.

A strange and likeable concoction. Oddly enough one of the few fruity scents I like. The dirt note melding with the apricot appears in the wet, lingering long enough to give it a raw earthiness. Gritty black patchouli clouds the ripeness, then dries out with a hit of cedar chips. Fab....

First on, really strong! The apricot and patchouli (which is smoky on me right now) are separate, competing notes - no blending going on at all.

Near drydown: It's settled down - the apricot and patchouli are blending - I still get smoke, but I think I would enjoy some other note than apricot with it.

Far drydown: Now you're talking! Smoke and dirt with a hint of sweetness - what a yummy surprise ending.