Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Depraved

A salacious, lecherous, leering scent - dirty and dark, slapped with a wet sweetness. Earthy black patchouli swelling with apricot.

This is such a simple scent, but it works so incredibly well! While the peach and patchouli in Imp were a bit too sickly sweet for me, I find that the apricot note is a perfect balance with the dark dirtiness of the black patchouli. There is definitely this rich, ripe golden delicious fruit/harvesty feeling and I am loving it! It lasts and lasts on my skin, too :P

Too bad I just placed an order last night or I would have tacked a bottle of this onto it. This is a winner in my book, for sure. If you like the patchouli/fruit combo in blends like Ravenous or Imp, you must try this!

Origin: Frimp from the Lab

Initial Thoughts: I have never had a BPAL patchouli behave on me, and the only apricot blend I've tried didn't work on me (Mad Hatter or March Hare or one of the Tea Party blends).

In the Bottle: Wow, a very twisted fruit. It fits the name very well.

Wet: For once I can pick out the distinct notes. It's patchouli and apricot side by side.

Drydown: It moves to an earthy green patchouli, very dank and musty.

Verdict: Pass.

Ok, so this is the one I ended up ordering after sampling from my first six imps. I thought the apricot might be too strong at first and then it took a u-turn and stayed in the back. There is something about this one that keeps the world at bay and still let's me in. I just ordered another set of imps to try. Some of the flower notes in the first batch last too long and are too powerful for me. I am looking for more of a masculine scent, something earthy, and smokey maybe without sweetness. My next order shoud prove interesting

kope

DepravedSS.jpg

OK, I admit it...I'm a total sucker for patchouli. :P And luckily, since I love the way it smells so much, it smells good on me. And my husband loves to smell it on me. So trust me when I say this is a GOOD BLEND.

In the imp: I can totally smell the apricot, which isn't easy with many patchouli blends -- the big P tends to rule over most comers.

Wet on skin: The apricot lends the earthy patchouli a sweetness, which isn't necessary for me to love it, but is totally loveable anyway. Honestly, this is so wonderful to smell it makes me roll my eyes and swoon in ecstasy. :)

Dry: The apricot retreats a bit in the dry down, but it's still there, keeping the strength of the patchouli nicely in check. Sometimes patchouli will dry to a bit of a powdery scent on me, depending on what else in the oil. This dry down stays true to both notes, and is still wonderful several hours later. The throw is not overpowering, as in "LOOK OUT! THE PATCHOULI IS LOOSE!!! ;)

Verdict: This goes immediately on my Must-Get-A-Bottle list, and I will treasure the one imp I have until I can get the bottle. :D

Is it a keeper? Until it is pried from my cold, dead, fingers. :D

Edited by stellans

When I first tried many months ago I thought that it smelled too much like cough syrup while it was wet for me to like it, although I did like it after it was dry. I let the imp age for a while, and now I like it a lot better. The patchouli is much stronger and deeper, and although the apricot is strong at first, it fades out. It turns into a lovely sweet patchouli. Deep and rich. I like this one.

I wanted to like Depraved. I got it as a frimp, and it seemed so promising when it was wet. It was earthy, woodsy, resinous, with a sweetish mellow undertone that might have been the apricot, but you couldn't prove it by me.

It was very nice as it dried down. Then it turned to all black patchouli on me. Patchouli and I don't usually get along, though it surprises me in some BPAL scents by actually playing nice with my chemistry. Well, this wasn't one of them. It has an unpleasant note with some real staying power, which quickly kicked all the other players out of the running. I guess this one is going to get passed along to someone who has a better relationship with with patchouli.

Depraved is lovely. I've found that I love the combination of patchouli and fruit. Imp was my favorite, and now Depraved is a close second.

In the imp: strong earthy patchouli

On Skin: the same earthy patchouli and a very sweet apricot. It's both sweet and earthy at the same time.

On Drydown: Still very much the same. The earthiness of the patchouli actually makes me think of dirt. It's sort of like dirt, patchouli and apricot at the same time.

After about thirty minutes, the patchouli recedes a bit but it's still a very earthy apricot.

Verdict: This is a very well done scent, sweet and earthy at the same time. I'm not typically drawn to either earthy (dirt smells) or patchouli in general but this is very nice considering my current bias. It also helps me narrow down which kinds of patchouli I don't like. Black is definitely one of them. I would highly recommend this to anyone who likes patchouli.

Like the number of listed notes, this was a sort of one-two scent for me. In the imp, dusty fruit. On me, sweet dust. I think patchouli doesn't like me, and I'm starting to return the favor. Off to swaps with it!

In the bottle:

ripe apricots still on the tree, surrounded by turned up dirt

Wet:

now the apricots have fallen into the dirt -when I sniff I'm mostly smelling turned up earth with the apricot buried within it. From a greater distanced, I'm getting big whiffs of very ripe apricot just on the verge of starting to ferment. Also getting whiffs of something green and wet.

Dry (15 min):

A very wet, humid garden that has been left to rot - fruit so ripe it's falling off the tree and bursting, dirt black and rich and wet with creepy things crawling over it and dark green plants rotting into the soil.

This reminds me of the Deep South, and from there I am starting to think of Lestat's time in New Orleans. If this is youth that knows too much, then it's Claudia's scent - night and dirt and rot clinging to a beautiful child's form.

Later (45 min):

Apricots are now the primary note - ripe and possibly being stewed in spices. It's starting to be more foody than something out in the garden. The dirt is still there but fainter and...cleaner, somehow. Less rot, more fresh upturned soil. I'm really liking this and I am not sure why. It doesn't strike me as either a good room scent, nor a body fragrance and yet I'm burying my nose in my arm and taking big, intoxicating breaths.

Wind Down (2 hours):

mmm.... Its softened down to a gentle spiced apricot. I don't think it has much longer, but it's aging well - no souring or going to powder. I think I love this.

Verdict:

Wow, I normally avoid patchouli on general principle, but I may have to rethink that. The named "Depraved" is dead-on here. I keep thinking I shouldn't like this, but I do. The earthy, fruity combination manages to evoke kinky thoughts and the vague sense that I ought to feel guilty about something...but I don't. :P

I will be wearing this again, but only when I'm in a mood to be bad. I can't wait!

This scent on my skin was very earthy, the apricot was very very faint. I imagine if an apricot sat in the mud for awhile, this is the odor it would produce. It reminds me a little of college and smoking "special" tobacco in flavored papers. While I am enjoying the odd tones of it, I cannot imagine wearing it as a perfume.

this scent is such a surprise for me. i usually shun the fruity scents because they go bizarro on my skin and i can only take patchouli in small doses. maybe it's the simplicity of this one, but it just works beautifully. upon first applying, it's bursting with yumminess that reminds me of apricot preserves -- yet not too intensely sweet -- and then drying down, it does become more "grounded." i like the other reviewer's observation of it being like an apricot that has fallen to the ground. what an unusual concept for an oil, but it certainly is delicious to experience. i think depraved would make a great bathtime scent.

In the vial (initial impression):

I initially only smell the patchouli, reminding me of scorched earth and dusty incense, with a little bit of extra spice in it. I can't actually make out the apricot.

Initially on (wet):

Heavy patchouli and something sweet yet rancid in the background. I really hope this clears up, because right now it smells quite vile. :P Maybe my skin doesn't approve?

Wearing it (dry):

10-20 mins after application, I can finally make out the apricot! However, my skin seems to mutate this into a really rancid and horrible smell thus far, which saddens me.

20-30 mins after application, it has softened a bit, but it's still rancid on me. :D

An hour later, it's a tad better, more harmonic - but still a tad rancid. Shame. :D

Finally:

Not for me, so this goes in my swap pile!

In the imp: Very sweet fruity patchouli

Wet: Sweet and somewhat sharp patchouli with a tinge of fruit.

Drydown: Dirty patchouli. I've got over my hate of patchouli since I discovered Bpal and found it works for me, but I still do not like dirty patchouli! However it also usually softens on my skin quite quickly so I'll wait and see. Hmm.. the apricot is quickly ripening also, very wet and very sweet. I haven't tried an apricot blend before and I'm not sure I like this.

Dry: Urgh. Dirty patchouli with the intense sweetness of the apricot underneath. The combination does not work for me, instead it's making me feel a bit sick. Possibly because it's reminding me of this awful peach flavoured cough syrup I had once. It actually smells very similiar on me, even though this is apricot not peach. It's got a whole lot of throw too.

A little later: The patchouli has settled down a little, but it's still dirty. The apricot though is still too much for me and the combination still smells like that cough syrup. I've got to wash this off, the throw alone is way too much and I only put a little on one wrist!

In the imp: Sweet, juicy apricot.

Wet: And who knew patchouli could be juicy?

Drydown: Okay, I don't normally go for fruity-sweet scents, but I think we have a winner. I would swear there was cedar in here as well as patchouli, but either way, it's a very layered scent on me: the fruit floats on top, with a woodsy note next, and the earthy patchouli deepest. The apricot that failed on me in my first test of Grand Guignol is joyous here; after its first fine careless rapture, it becomes subtler and closer to the skin, more like a juicy preserved apricot, if that makes any sense. I may have to try road-testing this on some warm night before deciding whether to add this to the 5ml category of my wishlist, but it definitely catches my attention.

In imp - Dirty and old smelling

Wet - Dirty and old smelling, but also with a doughy smell, too (not playdough, just like biscuit dough)

Drydown - The apricot is coming out as well as that dirty smell and the blend is divine. I love it. Maybe a big bottle: I'll have to wear it a few times before I make a final decision.

At least 4/5 stars!

Aha.

Before BPAL, I'd always hated patchouli. Plenty of patchouli blends are now my favourites, however.

But this is the "dirty hippy" variety of patchouli that I've never liked. Now I know it's black patchouli that I must avoid.

The apricot is there, but the dirty-hippy smell is just not my kinda thing. :P

Shame, I was hoping I'd love this. But I'm off to wash it off.

Depraved

Bottle--Patchouli. Lots of Patchouli. Ah, the dirt smell of patchouli. Oooh, I can smell the sweetness of the apricot a bit too. That's nice.

Wet--Sweet dirt. This actually mixes well, at least at the beginning. We'll see how it hold. It fits the description well, but I don't know how depraved it makes me feel. Heh. We'll see.

Drydown--The apricot and the patchouli battled it out for awhile. Seriously. I'd sniff and get apricot with a patchouli base, and then fifteen, twenty minutes later I would get the reverse. The patchouli won out at the end, but I may give the apricot another chance to prove itself, because when that note was at the forefront the whole thing was so lovely.

Dusty. Still dusty. Now, I really like that dry dusty scent, myself! So this is a good thing. Much as I like it, though, I prefer the dusty notes blended with other things. It just gets kinda dirty smelling. Not so good after all. I just realized - this is the smell that, on other people, used to make me nauseous.

Oh my.

Oooooooooh my.

Hmmmm. Depraved. Right.

*shakes self*

In the Vial: Sweetened patchouli. I already have great hopes for this one since I adore patchouli and it's most definitely loud and proud here.

On the skin: Wet - Patchouli explosion! This is heady and heavenly. I'm seduced already. And yet I've sampled many scents with patchouli in over the past couple of weeks. I need more.

Dry - And THERE is my "more". The apricot's risen to straddle the patchouli and it matches MAGNIFICENTLY! I'd never have thought it. These two scents are so incredibly good together.

After 1 hour: It's fading already. Bah. And yet, I have a feeling that some things are going to be FAR more important than how long it lasts on my skin. The incredible, superb scent for one.

After 3 hours: It's all but gone, sadly. And yet, not sadly, since it just means I'll need to reapply more often or wear it in a scent locket. Problem? WHAT problem?

This and Umbra are my "manleh" scents of choice.

Scores:

Scent: Wet - 3/5, Dry 4.5/5

Durability: 1.5-2/5

Bottle? Ooooh, I think I must. Several.

When I first smelled this in the bottle, it reminded me of the coco/chocolate used for cooking that isn't really that sweet at all.

I don't think I like the smell of black patchouli. When this scent dried down on me I got the smell of OLD crayons. Weird.

Depraved

In vial, nutty. Initial wet stage, nutty fruit. Almost instantly the apricot amps up, fresh and sweet. As it dries, the patchouli steps in. It's sharp and commanding. It's more dry now, and suddenly I'm catching whiffs of barn. I'm totally serious; I smell the wood stalls, with fresh hay on the floor and warm, clean, animal. At times, when I move my hand, I catch a throw of apricot. This is strange. It's going between the black patchouli with apricot, and other times barn. Not unpleasant, and unique to be certain.

[1 - Hate] .. [2 - Dislike] .. [3 - Like] .. [4 - Really Like] .. [5 - Love]

3 : Apricot is warm, sweet, and lovely; but I'm starting to think it's not really my fruit scent of choice.

Ooo, diiiirty.

Seriously. The black patchouli is indeed salicious, putting it's grubby paws all over delicately honeyed apricot. The two are very distinct at first, but after an hour or so, they meld into a really fascinating scent - wood shavings, a bit of leaf mould, and a faint waft of fruit nectar.

A really good fruit scent for those who don't want to smell like a Jolly Rancher amp fruit....

In the imp:

Yummy and spicy.

Wet:

I don't think this had a very nice initial reaction with my skin. For a nanosecond I smelled spices and fruit, and then it was all OMG BATHROOM CLEANER (sorry). This subsided pretty quickly, leaving... pencil shavings. Weird because patchouli usually works on me. I am letting it dry down fully to see what happens.

Dry:

Well, it's dried down, and I'm getting pencil shavings. Meh! Off to the swap pile!

bottle: sweet patchouli. i don't think i would have ever guessed it was apricot.

wet: pretty much the same, sweet & spicy patchouli.

dry: again, pretty much the same. the sweetness has faded somewhat but is still present.

this is a remarkable scent, exactly what a patchouli scent should be. it was the first bpal scent i ever smelled and the first 5ml bottle i bought. when i first wore it my husband hated it but nowadays he has just appropriated my new bottle from my most recent order. he said it really grew on him.