Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Depraved

A salacious, lecherous, leering scent - dirty and dark, slapped with a wet sweetness. Earthy black patchouli swelling with apricot.

Fresh From The Imp: Dirty patchouli.

Wet On My Flesh: Exactly what it says: Earth and patchouli, with just a touch of apricot underneath.

Drying Down: Dirt, dirt, and more dirt. It smells like I've been running my arm through a fresh-tilled garden. Run by hippies.

Hour To Integrate: This earthy black patchouli makes my nose tickle. It's sort of like black pepper, in a way. I've lost all the apricot.

End Of Day/Final Report: Definitely not something I'd wear. I keep catching a whiff and wondering how I got dirt on m'self.

Edited by Mistress Tera

In the bottle: Apricot? Patchouli??? Hell no. All I get is pure bitter apple.

On: A lot more bitter with a sharp note reminicent of pepper. Reminds me of the stuff that's sprayed in the summer to get rid of mosquitoes.

Verdict: I had to scrub this off about an hour later. It made me horribly dizzy. I really wanted to like this one when I read the description, but we just didn't get along. *Swap pile*

I dont normally like patchouli, but this is quite nice. It does not smell like anything sexy or kinky on me, just an earthy fruit with spices.

I wont buy a bottle but wil use the imp.

First Impression: Fresh earth right after a sudden spring shower.

Dries down to: Still earth.

Additional Comments: All I get is patchouli and a lot of it. I don't even get a hint of the apricot. This is too one-dimensional for me; especially, since 'earth' isn't a favourite note of mine.

Lasted: Overnight.

Rating: 1.5 out of 5

I generally like patchouli, so I was really hoping that it was overwhelm the apricot (which I hate) for me. Sadly, apricot quickly became dominant, overwhelming the clean dirt scent of the patchouli.

I can see how this embodies the name, but I just can't get past the apricot.

The fruitiness dies on me after 10 minutes...

or maybe it doesn't die, it just blends.

Either way, this ends up verry earthy with subtle woodsy tones and yes you can definately smell that patchouli, but it's not as in your facec as the patchouli you may be thinking.

Nice and spicy.

Well, before I saw the description of this, I thought it was some sort of wood and sweet berry mix. After I read it, however, I had one of those headdesk moments of DUH. Cause Depraved does smell like patchouli and apricot. There is a woody note that comes through though. Hmm. I like it a general sort of way, but I wouldn't wear it everyday. Buy it if patchouli works for you, because you'll love it. But I have a hard time with it... rarely do I find an oil where patchouli doesn't turn to mold on me.

Final thoughts: Slightly sweetened forest dirt.

this is the only bpal fragrance that i have actively hated. something about it just does NOT work for me, and it just plain stinks. the first thing that popped into my head when i put it on was eric cartman saying "ugh! it smells like ass out hyah!" :P

the patchouli is very strong, and smells like straight up soil. like when you've been digging in your garden. which might be ok, tempered with another sent, but the cloying apricot mixed with the dirt patchouli smell doesn't sit well with me. maybe it's just my chemistry, but as soon as it dried, it smelled like dirty, sweaty body (and not in a sexy way. in a 'please take a bath' way) and poison chemicals. NOT a favorite of mine.

Ooooh. In the bottle, this is sweet and gritty, a fruity and dirty smell almost exactly like I would have imagined. I really, really like it. I like patchouli, but I'm not always fond of what it does on my skin. We'll see what black patchouli does.

Well, that's . . . interesting. I'm not sure this is kind, but on me it smells like a very clean rat. You know, that fresh wood-shaving smell, combined with the smell of . . . well . . . rat. An animal smell, with just a faint tang of pee. My, that's embarrassing.

I, uhh, really like the smell, though. So your guess is as good as mine. Take this review for comedy value only, and with a heavy dose of salt.

I think that the combination of the black patchouli's sharply animal musk combined with the sweet apricot is what gives it the odd pine-shaving smell. In another blend, I imagine I would like the patchouli very well. It doesn't smell excessively sweaty or ammoniac on me, anyway, which is a relief. I really like it, but on my idiosyncratic skin, it's probably not what the maker had in mind.

I love patchouli, but the strong wood scent in Depraved really isn't making me happy. It's as if I'd stashed a nicely aged vial of patchouli in a cedarwood box -- that's what this smells like on me. I'm not getting any apricot whatsoever, just sharp, sharp cedar and patchouli. It's not foul, but I don't really want to smell like a hippie hamster either.

Wet dirt and freshly cut firewood.... but in a good way.

I like this scent, I can't stop sniffing my wrist! It's very earthy. I expected to hate this due to the patchouli, but maybe it's another note and not patchouli that I hated in other oils.

As it dries down I get a hint of sweet which must be the apricot. It hangs out in the background.. I'm still smelling fresh cut wood & dirt. Mmmm it's comforting.

Depraved is a very strange scent. The juxtaposition of the deep, dark patchouli against the light, crisp scent of apricot is a strange one, at best. The two notes don’t blend together as much as they swirl around each other, never mixing together. Each one is very distinguishable as a distinct note. I love apricot and think it’s just gorgeous in Katharina, March Hare, Thaleia, and especially in Yerevan. But I don’t like the patchouli/apricot combo in Depraved. It has a distinctly “unnatural” scent. It’s very strong with good throw when I first apply it, but after the dry-down, it’s fairly subtle and after an hour, the scent is very faint on my skin, and my an hour and a half, I can barely smell it at all.

Dark woody patchouli, all the way, with a subtle edge of apricot underneath. I got what I paid for. Now whether it would be a fave is another question entirely - it would usually take me a few days to find out whether I want a blend again and again. I rather like the woody quality of it (maybe I am a wood-gal rather than a spice gal as I thought) but I somehow suspect it would be happier as a room scent (let's have the room smell Depraved!) than on me.

Thanks, Angharad.

In the imp, it was wonderfully apricotish smelling.

On me it turned medicinal smelling. :P

Definitely not for wearing, but I'm hanging on to it in hopes that it'll smell great as a room scenter.

I was really looking forward to this as a variation on Anne Bonny. My reaction, "Ugh, omg I'm wearing dirt." I got zero apricot from this. Maybe you need the right body chemistry to make this one work. :s

Edited by Teggy

i think i have decided that i do not like the lab's apricot.

i also don't care much for apricots in general... something about them just strikes me as foul.

the patchouli in this is lovely, albeit a bit cedary than i prefer (yes. hippie hamsters)

after about an hour, this has turned into Dinner at the Hippie Hamsters' House on Fruit Night.

A heavy, woody, dark scent. I think the patchouli is poison on me because that's all I smell and on me patchouli smells like bad body odor. Sadly adding this one to my swap list

Whenever I try a new BPAL imp (I have a small pile as gifts), I put it on before ever reading any reviews or even the ingredients. So if my review is repetitive, I guess just blame it on getting the same impressions as others.

In the Imp Bottle: Sickly sweet, like spoiled candy and crayon wax. There's a touch of wood, and something sort of mossy/mildewy. It's a weird scent...

Wet on My Skin: Thankfully, more wood in it now. But the crayon smell is there too. Underneath it is some sort of loamy moss sort of scent.

After 30 Minutes: I smell like a day-care center. Or a pedophiliac. Or just a box of old Crayola. I like new crayon smell, I don't like dusty old crayon smell.

After 2 Hours: Yup. I reek of old, dirty crayon. This one gets firmly classed in the EW! category of scents. The moment I can start pawning it off to others, I think I will.

Yup, dried apricots remind me of crayons, and the patchouli adds the dirt. Before patchouli ages, it smells like wood and moss to me, but when it sours, boy does it ever sour. Dirt, and not in the fresh, loamy earth way.

You know, I don't really like the smell of patchouli, associated as it is with cheap incense and pseudo-hippies and all those great connotations. I couldn't remember why I ordered this as I opened it.

In the bottle: But it's not a heavy, awful patchouli. It's green-smelling almost, and what they're calling apricot does come through, lightening and sweetening it (but not enough to make it sharp like whatever the sweet note was in Jack.) I had my fellow sniff it and he said, 'Dandelion.' It was complicated. My favorite so far.

On me: Can definitely smell the apricot, or peach, whatever's lightening this. It combines well with the patchouli, making a unique smell out of what may be the most played-out one in the world. It dries down to, of all things, vague patchouli and freshly cut cedar, then back to plain (still light) patchouli with a cedar hint. Great, fresh, simple and sexy.

Earthy and woodsy scent. Wet woods and musty dirt. Very very faint hint of sweetness in the background (I'm guessing the apricot) but it never really pops out into a full note.... just this hint of sweetness.

Caveat: This review has been skewed by scent association and some bad memories. The scent itself is lovely, and my reaction to it is based entirely on negative life experiences.

In the imp: Something sharp, that sort of makes me think of my step father. Hmm interesting. It's the apricot. I hate apricots. Mainly because of their connection in my life with my stepfather, who was in fact a depraved and sick man, so I guess the scent is aptly named. I would love to swap this out, untested, but alas, the cap broke off so I am stuck with it.

In the oil burner: It's better this way, spicier and more diffuse, less evocative. All in all this is a base and spicy scent, it causes the same sensation as cooking ground red pepper does, gives your throat a rough abraded and tickly feel and fills the room with a sharp almost peppery scent.

Final Analysis: Had the cap not broken I would have swapped this, but because it has I will use it to freshen up Anubis' studio, which still smells like cigarette smoke from his last drummer. The scent itself is nice, and wonderfully blended, but the memories it brings up make this a difficult scent to have around for me.

Depraved-

In Bottle: Patchouli and apricot! Very much so.

Wet: Ooh, such an earthy combination! Yes, it's still apricot and patchouli, and I like it. So earthy and yummy! And it doesn't smell like the patchouli that I'm used to encountering, which is sweeter and lighter. This is not so sweet (but the apricot balances that very nicely) and it's a deeper, darker kind of patchouli than I'm familar with.

Dry: This stays just the same! It's like Whip and Obatala in that--not that it smells like that but that it seems to be a combination of two scents that stays the same from bottle to the end of the dry-down. Nice duration too. I really love it. "Earthy" is the word I must keep using, not in the same way as The Premature Burial is truly like earth, but just like a deep musky of-the-earth smell.

Overall: I love.

I had to try this again since I have turned into a raging patchouli fiend. My skin seems to eat patchouli whenever it's blended with anything else, so the apricot is dominating this one. For apricot, though, I think I prefer the boozey goodness of Grand Guignol

In the imp: Yarr, it's patchouli and apricot.

Wet: I can smell the apricot, but this is 90% patchouli. Very dirty patchouli.

Drydown and wear: It does not take long for apricot to come out and mix very well with the patchouli. The result is a nice and spicy blend that is very appealing. I think my skin just like apricot and peach. This one gets more and more interesting as it dries down, and seems to have pretty darn good staying power.