Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
janelle_hell

Snake Oil

By far, our most popular scent! Magnetic, mysterious, and exceedingly sexual in nature. A blend of exotic Indonesian oils sugared with vanilla.

I think this came as a frimp in an order in 2011ish.

In bottle: smells like patchouli and vanilla, a bit smokey.  

On skin: the vanilla is really showing up.  

After a few hours: really strong vanilla

I will probably offer this up for a swap, as vanilla is a scent I really dislike in scented products.  

After 3 years of BPAL hoarding, I FINALLY got a frimp of Snake Oil. Honey-y/musky vanilla - a little green - over sticky melted sugar. Foodier than I expected. Not blown away, and I've definitely smelled a lot of similar scents.

These are my thoughts on it when it's less than a week old, so I'm definitely going to buy a bottle and stash it away to age, to see if it's really as glorious as people say.

Aged (apx 7 years?). 

In the imp: Patchouli, sugar, vanilla, other spicy notes I can't identify. 

On my skin:

Wet, it's vanilla and patchouli. Dry, I get a lot of lovely patchouli with some spice -- and some sugar overlaying all of it. The sugar is enough to take the edge off of the patchouli, but it's not really a terribly sweet blend on me. For a time, the vanilla basically disappears, though it does reemerge -- as a backing note -- after about thirty minutes of wear time. 

Aaaaand that's about where it stops on me. 

I don't know that it's a particularly "sexy" scent on me, though I know Snake Oil does have that reputation. Even aged, the patchouli note is just a little... dirty? (but in the "dirt" sense of the word)... on me. The spice and vanilla notes let it veer somewhat near, but not into, foody territory. Of all the BPAL blends I've tried, Snake Oil "feels" closest to Vixen, not necessarily in notes (though there is similarity) but in overall... aura? 

It's a very nice, grounded scent that I never find unworkable. 

I got an imp of this when I first got into BPAL (2015) and got a lot of rave reviews. But I guess it never really "grabbed me" and my scent journeys took me elsewhere in the BPAL landscape. I got a frimp of Snake Oil a while back and dragged it out today. So, reviewing a frimp aged at least 2 but likely 3 years...I do like this, it's nice, but I don't know that it's something that I'll need a bottle of. When I initially put it on, I got a sort of plasticky vibe (the Play-Doh that people refer to?) and after about an hour it was a nice subtle vanilla. I'll enjoy the imp for those times that i want something low key, but I do have my other favourites.

😭I'm so upset!  I saw all the recommendations for snake oil on here, and how it's nearly a universally delightful scent on everyone, but it did not blend well on me. I got an imp, and when I put it on I was immediately overtaken by the smell of what I can only describe as "sour movie theater butter popcorn."  I was so alarmed by this that I immediately went and scrubbed my arms and hands clean, and re-applied the oil- still sour butter!  Even when it dried down and the vanilla finally came out, the sour butter scent lingered. I'm glad I heeded advice on here that, no matter how lauded a scent is, you should always try a sample vial if you can't try it in person.  i was very tempted to get a whole bottle, but I'm glad I did not. I guess my body chemistry is not mixing well with this one, sadly.

Happy that it works well for everyone else, more for you guys!

So I decided to bite the bullet and purchase an imp of Snake oil. This did nooot work for me :(

I'm also glad to see that I'm not the only one with the sour note! Like starryeyes just before me. 

Wet: warm sugar, almost cashew like. 
On: sour butter. Whyyy. Savoury foody but still sour.
Dry down: warm florals, still sugar, less sour butter... A bit cashewy. Sort of caramel but not. Slight plastic smell coming through (urgh, I get that with chocolate scents). Musky. 
Not for me. I wore it for so long in the hopes it would work but nope. :(

Rich, smooth, beautiful vanilla incense. After I got an imp, I wound up buying a full bottle. Then the body oil. Then the hair gloss. It makes you want more and more and more of it. All the forms of this scent are glorious and I can't recommend it enough. It's in my top 10 list (and so many else's) for good reason.

I think this scent is my "holy grail". I just don't think that there is a better scent than this for me. As a lover of vanilla and incense, I think it was just meant to be. I love it soooo. ❤️

I am so glad this one works on me. I blind bought an aged full bottle last year. Love at first sniff! I have since bought a couple more bottles and the bath oil. Still need that hair gloss in my life though!

I can't really say enough good things about it. Snake Oil is MAGIC :wub3:

Edit:

Every time I put this on, I wonder why I ever even want to buy/wear other scents. Thank you, Beth, for sharing this with the world!

Edited by Kmichh