Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Lucy's Kiss

Lucy's Kiss

Created to represent the essence of Bram Stoker’s tragic heroine, Lucy Westenra. Seductive, wanton and deadly, but underscored with a soft, wistful innocense. The gentle scent of rose and a blend of Victorian spices.

freebie from the lab

in vial: dark rose

wet: plastic rose

dry: dirty, sweaty rose

verdict: something in this is turning into a b.o.-like odor on my skin...bleah...off to swaps

Gimp from the lab.

Bottle: Ewww too much rose for me.

Wet on skin: Not getting better damned treacherous skin chemistry.

Drydown: My chemistry hates roses, none of the BPAL rose scents work on my traitorous skin.

Verdict: Not the finest scent ever at least not on me. Might work extremely well on someone else.

Edited by BlueStar

roses are hit and miss, and this is a miss for me. it smells like roses and dirt, but not in the good way like zombi does. more like roses and stale dirt. it kind of turns my stomach when i smell it on my skin. :P

i suppose some spice in there is not sitting well with my skin chemistry. off to the swap pile!

Lucy's Kiss

In the bottle: WOAH, roses. Candy-sweet roses. I love rose scents, so yay!

Wet: This is still mostly roses on me, but I can smell the spices in the background, a little bit. I like this, a lot...it smells extremely Victorian and old-fashioned to me. I don't smell the 'wantonness' so much.

Drydown: Oooh, this turns absolutely lovely! Extremely sweet-smelling on me, the roses mixing with whatever other floral is in here (it smells almost like jasmine or orchid). They seem to fade back and forth.

While wearing: I think I'm in love with this scent. I adore rose scents, so it really shouldn't be a surprise, I suppose, but...it's lovely. After a little, it fades slightly, becomes a pressed-roses-in-a-scrapbook sort of scent, powdery and light and sweet. I really love this, I feel that I smell exactly like Lucy must have. There's hardly any spice. I really, really love this - it's light and sweet and I smell almost edible, in a floral sort of way. Utterly lovely, I will have to buy a big bottle of this

Lucy's Kiss goes on entirely rose. I'm crap at picking out rose blends, but it reminds me of a tea rose oil I used to have as a girl. As it dries, a bit of spice comes out, but this is still an overwhelmingly rose scent. Slightly dry, but still fresh, this is delicate and lovely.

After about an hour or so, the rose has faded a bit more, and balances more evenly with the spices. I'm not sure how often I'm going to use this, but I think I'll keep the imp.

Lucy's Kiss is a nice rose blend on me. The rose is light and sweet, not bitter as rose usually is on my skin. The spices remind me of another BPAL blend that I cannot quite place. I think of lemon/cream spiciness everytime that I smell this. Perhaps it reminds me of Van Van?

Pretty. But not me. Most floral perfumes give me this same feeling. I don't feel like myself when I'm wearing them. I feel like a little girl trying to play elegant with her grandmother's old perfume.

Rating (on skin): 1/5

Summarised in a word or two: Rose!

In the imp/bottle: Soft pink roses at the very beginning of spring.

On skin, wet: A dry, faintly spicy rose. A very warm, very rich, almost seductive rose.

On skin, dry: Light, unassuming, powdery. Wistful innocence indeed, this brings to mind both virgins and whores. Quite confusing, but interestingly so.

Conclusion: This is nothing but rose, and is, then, not for me. Had it been a bit heavier on the spices, I might have done well with it.

Edited by Aredhel

If rose is listed in the notes, I must try it.

Origin: This was a freebie from the Lab in my very first order.

In the Bottle: Odd, for once I can't pick out any particular note. I can usually pick out at least one or two. There's a suggestion of darkness, of blood and malicious intent, but no identifiable scent to my nose.

Wet: Dusty dried roses, with spices creating high notes.

Drydown: Hmm...now something that smells like lemon is coming out. And I'm getting the soap phenomenon that I've seen othyers complain about when it comes to roses. Thank goodness this doesn't happen to me with my favorite rose scents!

Verdict: Not for me. Swapped it was.

Bottle: Definitely rosey. I can kind of pick up some of the sourness of Zombi's 'dead roses', but it's not bad. The 'Victorian spices' are at least in the imp, drowned out by the rose.

Wet: Roses, and...a faint coppery smell that I swear reminds me of blood. (Centzon Totochtin is supposed to have a bloodlike element to it, but I never noticed it!) Apropo for the title, but... jury's still out if I want to smell like a recently satiated leech... *cough*

Dry: Rose, rose, rose. It's like Whip, almost, but instead of leather, it has a bit of spice to it.

Final Opinion: Although it goes through a Zombi-like sour stage when wet, it's actually rather nice dry. The spice is subtle, well back behind all that rose, but it makes it less pure rosy. I think I'll keep the imp for awhile, but I don't need a bottle.

I love roses, and I love Bram Stoker, so Lucy's Kiss was just destined to work out for me. Another VERY nice rose blend. I've seen this written many times in other review threads, and it's true: Beth does have a way with roses. Nearly every rose scent I've tried so far has made it to the bottle list.

The first sniff from the imp is all gentle rose, and I already know I'm going to love it. I can faintly smell the spices behind the rose, but can't begin to identify them. I slathered; my wrists, behind the ears, cleavage and elbow creases.

Wet, I realize that I do love it, and it was a good decision to slather, since on me this is very gentle and soft. Dry, it stays almost exactly the same, pure gentle rose with a tinge of something else. It does lighten quite a bit over time, and would need reapplication to remain at the level I like my perfume to be.

After about four hours, it was very faint, and I finally understood what people mean by 'soapy'. I seem to like soapy, though, as it was still a very pleasant scent to me.

It made my bottle list, I can see myself wearing this during the day, shopping or going about my daily routine. Probably not dramatic enough for me to wear at night, but a solid 'anytime' day fragrance.

EDIT: I wear this all the time, I've used up three imps in 6 weeks and have 2 bottles on the way. It is indeed my perfect daytime rose scent. I wear it on days I'm out and about running errands, and it gives me a lift and makes me feel good. I ordered roller bottles for the specific purpose of carrying Lucy's Kiss in my purse.

Edited by LyndaM

In the vial: Rose, with a tiny bit of fruitiness (though I wonder if that's just Bordello wafting from my arm). There's also a definite spice to this, in an almost foody way, making the scent quite delicious.

Wet: Not surprisingly, the rose immediately turns soapy. The spice is clinging on for dear life, but the outlook is grim.

Dry: So the spice managed to hang on, though it's very faint, and if I wasn't looking for it I might not notice it was there. Otherwise, this is pure rose, rose, and more rose, and soap... no different from any other blend with rose in it.

An hour later: Wow, it's gotten even more soapy. It's pure Dove soap now. If I use my imagination, I can still smell roses... maybe.

Overall: I should just give up on rose notes, shouldn't I?

Wet and when first applied this is a dewy rose. This doesn't change much on me. It's a very feminine, soft rose. Really nice but not complex enough for me.

This is the perfect spicy rose scent for me. The rose smells incredibly fresh, almost wet, and the spices sort of hover in the background. They never dominate the rose, nor do they compete with the rose for prominence. Instead, they just keep the rose smelling fresh, and it's lovely. This is very much a rose perfume, not a spice perfume, but it is just lovely. I really, really like it.

Imp

Rose, pure and straight up.

Wet

Rose, strong and powerful. A very fragrant rose with a hint of something else. This is very reminscent of Crabtree & Evelyn's Evelyn Rose.

It is growing stronger, and sadly, a soapy scent is begining to evolve. This is the type of rose note I really am not crazy about: the kind where you can tell it more rose scent and less the smell you get when you bury your nose deep in an open rose and breath it in.

Dry

Just rose. Too much rose, for even the rose lover.

this is mostly rose but i think maybe it also has jasmine. it’s powdery and slightly soapy. very feminine and pretty, i like it.

Unfortunately no victorian spices. This was all rose, rose ROSE.

Why oh why does my body amp up roses so much? *cries*

First sniff: Yeah, nothing subtle about this one. It stalks up to me, grabs me by the collar and yells “ROSE!” right in my face. I have that reaction to quite a lot of rose scents... it takes a very particular sort to win me over, and I suspect Lucy isn't it.

Wearing: Pure poofy floofy powdery rose. Lucy keeps her fangs very well hidden.

This is like those bath "squares" that I remember my grandmother having and sometimes giving me for Christmas. Very cloying rose...the spice is very faint...like it has been hanging out in a stocking with spiced cookies...or like an old Valentine...

Yeah, this is a little scary... :P

I like Harlot better for a spicy rose.

Lucy's Kiss smells like cheap fake roses on my skin.

No victorian spices... just straight up stinky roses. With BPAL bends, rose is really hit-or-miss for me... this is a HUGE miss.

After 5 minutes this smells like urine and rose petals. *ewww*

Lucy's Kiss: A creamy rose, almost herby.

On: It takes on a metallic, chemically tang. Fairly unpleasant actually. The throw is still rose, though.

Dry: Totally sour on me, alas. I played Lucy in a stage production of Dracula, so I really wanted this one to work on me. :P

In the bottle: rose vinegar.

Applied: This is a very wistful rose (and I didn’t even need to look at the description to get the word “wistful”—it really smells wistful!) I’m not sure what kinds of spices are in there, but there is still a bit of an undertone that I identified as vinegar in the bottle, but isn’t quite as sharp on the skin. Unfortunately, roses always cloy on me, and this is no exception, but what is exceptional is Beth’s ability to totally hit the nail on the head with the character of the scent. This smells exactly like it should smell if you think of the character it is supposed to represent. It’s not personally my sort of thing, but I can definitely appreciate the accuracy.

On a scale of 1 to 5: 3.5.

In the bottle: Spicy roses. Roses can go either way on me -- they either smell good, or they smell like soap -- so I'm curious to see which way this one swings.

On my skin: Yep, as usual, the rose is going soapy. :|

In the bottle: a greenish-white rose with something slightly musty in the background

Wet: Very much the same as in the bottle, but the rose is amped up now. It smells really quite green and very fresh, slightly bitter - to the point where I have the impression of smelling chlorine, strangely.

Drydown: Hmm, the spices seem to tone the greenness down a bit, it makes the rose slightly powdery. This is one of the most "vegetal" roses I've smelled, it's playful and young and light. I get a whiff of undefinable spices in the mix. It's strange, because although there are spicy notes, I still feel it as a slightly cool scent... and then, just for an instant, I get a whiff of something much more sensual, spicy and sensual. But it disappears quickly into the background. The wet freshness and the dry mustiness seem to be playing hide-and-seek and creating a very dual perfume.

Overall: An interesting ambiguous rose. It's very green, young, innocent and playful, but there's a hint of something more sensual developing in the background... threatening, corrupting. I think it defines Lucy Westrena's story very well. It's an interesting and enjoyable scent, but you need to like roses and very green scents to appreciate it. The powdery drydown does give it a slightly old fashioned feel. Personally I prefer red roses, this one smells too white.

lucyskiss.jpg

This one is rose, all righty, with a sort of lemongrass smell underlying it all. I am such a rose snob that I should not go on about Lucy's Kiss (I love London..there I said it *sigh*). I don't get the spices under it all but the green of a lemongrass, and the lemony kick of it, I get. On the right person this would do wonders.