Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Lucy's Kiss

Created to represent the essence of Bram Stoker’s tragic heroine, Lucy Westenra. Seductive, wanton and deadly, but underscored with a soft, wistful innocense. The gentle scent of rose and a blend of Victorian spices.

hmmm. a light rose with a hint of something else. Not spicy, exactly...maybe slightly musty? I don't know...
Anyhow, not a big fan of rose scents, and this one makes me sneeze, so it's going to the swap pile. Edited by Shollin

for some reason, though it's not listed, this smelled like orange flower water on me, and just OFW. Pretty and clean, and a little too boring. Too bad.

n.

I've been wanting to try this scent for a while now, but because of the rose I've been putting it off. But when I found out that I can wear Beatrice and Love in the Asylum I thougt I'd give this one a try.

In the bottle it smells very sweet but not too rose-y. Sadly aftr I put it on it turned one to be nothing but rose. So sadly this imp will need to find a new home.

And I wanted to love this one too. It almost broke my heart when there was nothing but rose on me.

In the imp: sweet and faintly spicy.

Wet: Oddly, I'm getting more of a violet scent than rose. Hmm, maybe it's a general green and floral.

Drydown: soft rose with a little spice. But not for me. Roses are fickle on me and I think I'm more of a Persephone gal.

i love roses, and spiced roses sounds neat-o. i bat about .5 with bpal roses- good vs soapy...unfortunatly, lucy's kiss is the soapy variety. soap, soap, soap :P

Lucy's Kiss... *tickle* *tickle* my nose.. eep! This is a pretty rose scent, but it's a bit ::sigh:: soapy. Lucy's Kiss smells to me just like Persephone, minus the pomegranate and plus a smidgen of spice.

In the bottle: Floral with a bite, almost like a spring garden with an undertone of evil.

On: Turned instantly in to fancy guest soap on me, but not in a bad way. Slowly rose started to peek out at me. I can even smell the stems of the rose. Good amount of throw.

Later: The soap smell is gone and now all I can think of is walking through a rose show. That is the only way I know how to describe it. The rose is very light, not headachy. I don’t smell any of the spices though.

Overall: Ok, I have been very scared of trying any rose scents because most commercial rose perfumes make me sick and I am not big on florals to begin with but I think Beth have converted me on the first try. This is a true rose, light but demanding. I don’t think I will buy a big bottle but I will definitely finish off the imp. I must have my mom try this one since the rose used is identical to one in her garden.

Rating: 3 1/2

at first: beautiful rose and spices. i'm pretty sure i'll like this, since i usually do well with bpal's roses.

on: lots of rose. very beautiful.

half an hour later: all rose. dusty and beautiful.

3.5 hours later: a bit spicy, but still mostly rosy.

overall: i'm such a sucker for rose. i don't really need another rose scent, but this is so beautiful. not sure what i'll do.

All sweet rose on first application, this strikes me as a very innocent scent. It smells like roses, fresh and cleanly cut, with a bloom of greenery arranged around them. As it dries, the scent gets a little bit powdery, but I don't get any other notes. It's a soft and girlish scent, but there are other rose blends I prefer.

Wet: baby powder and lotion -- this is, unfortunately, a smell I associate with diaper wipes or the moist towelettes (sp?) that you sometimes get in restaurants. If I sniff *very* deeply, I can catch a hint of a lovely spice undertone, but it's not strong enough to make up for the rest of this scent. This is a very, very heavy rose… almost an entire dried bouquet of strong florals by itself.

Dry: the spices come out more clearly, but the blend eventually turns into a slightly sharp rose soap. It's an improvement over diaper wipes, but definitely not what I was looking for.

Overall this scent is a bit too stuffy and old-fashioned for my tastes (which pretty much means that the Lab did their job exactly right, as far as the description goes… and that I need to stop thinking Victorian scents are going to work on me!)

Lucy's Kiss is lovely. Rose is the dominant note, but it's a sweet, light, airy rose. A lot of people tend to describe rose-dominated oils as "old ladyish", but Lucy's Kiss smells young and fresh. There's something about it that's almost virginal. The spice isn't agressive at all.

I liked Lucy's Kiss so much that I was contemplating buying a big bottle...

Until it turned to soap on me, after a half hour of wear.

Damn. This is the first time that a BPAL rose hasn't worked out for me.

I usually strongly dislike floral scents, but this one is beautiful. It's not an obtrusive rose, but a soft, feminine, beautiful rose. I wore it to class tonight and felt so damned pretty--if only I had a more formal occasion coming up to wear this to!

With this one, Nosferatu, and Dracul, I'm 3 for 3 on vampire inspired scents so far. They're all so different, but they're all *such* a success.

In the imp, this is a light and pretty rose with a whiff of spices.

On me, it turns into a cross between those little rose-scented guest soaps and potpourri. I like rose, but I prefer something richer and not soapy, like Peacock Queen. This is just a little too generic "rose perfume."

Off to the swaps.

Usually I'm opposed to heavy, heedy doses of rose, but I'll make and exceptions for Lucy's Kiss. The rose intertwined with the warm spices is a fragrant melody. It's seductive and bold. I may have to reconsider my semi-opposition to the darling rose.

straight sniff from imp is a delightful airy floral blend :P

upon application i get lots of beautiful flowers...daffodil, peony, violet and

just a hint of rose....thankfully i get no soapiness....and oddly no spice but

that is really o.k. with me

this is very long lasting and strong on me....the tiny dab on my wrist from

the imp is still going strong after a few hours wear!!

while it does not morph much, the florals are simply glorious; enough that

this warrants a big bottle purchase for the upcoming summer months :D

First Impression: A sweet rose.

Dries down to: A faded, dirty rose.

Additional Comments: I can't identify any of the spices - all I get is a dirty rose. Rose just amps up on me in this blend, so I'll stick to the blends where it doesn't (Bearded Lady, Beatrice, Othello, Juliet, Baghdad, Alice, Wanda, Phantom Queen, La Bella Donna Della Mia Miente, Hanging Gardens, Baghdad, Haunted Palace - that's enough to keep me in roses.).

Lasted: Overnight.

Rating: 2 out of 5

This one was odd. It smelled very rosy and somewhat fruity, like lotus or maybe DB--I don't know. On me, it turned sweet and powdery. It had a very strong throw to boot. Its a very heady floral, a little too strong and sweet for me. I didn't really get any spice out of it, either.

In Bottle: Sour rose

On Skin: Well, I’m trying this just for fun. I know I don’t like rose scents, but I’m trying to make my way through the entire BPAL catalog and I’m almost there. This is a strong powdery rose. I also smell another floral, maybe lily, that sweetens it slightly. There is also a slight spice which is a nice contrast to the sour rose and slightly sweet other floral note. It still is a rose scent though, and I think BPAL has plenty of those so this one doesn’t seem too special, but I do like the description. And as usual, rose scents make me think “old lady” right away. To me this is a grandmother scent.

Bottle: Rose all the way, a bright rose..not terribly sweet. Reminds me of old fashioned rose bushes gone a little wild, full of fragrance..not the uber-bred kind you get from the florist that have practically no scent at all.

Wet: I'm catching hints of the spice behind the rose, but can't pick the notes out quite yet.

Dry: There is something sharp, sorta sweet, and rather green in those spices...tuberose? I can't put my finger on it...

Later: The spices are warm and reminiscent of spiced cookies..but very subtle. Nutmeg, maybe...Very Victorian, yes. It's not got a (vampire's) bite, tho, which I rather expected.

Interesting. Starts out smelling..youthful. As the spices come out a bit it seems a little more sinister. The rose, the thorns, the green stem and all. Wistful. I think I'll tuck it away with the other rose blends that seems to work on me, and eventually I'll have to do a snif-test to pick one or two to keep..rose doesn't do the ugly things on my skin that jasmine does, and it's not as sinus-grabbing for me as many of the white-flower blends can be, but keep every rose blend seems a bit excessive. At least I feel fairly confident that I know one floral that doesn't do strange things with my chemistry...

I'm torn! There's something about wearing a perfume called Lucy's Kiss that is so seductive but I can't justify keeping it since it smells pretty generic rose on me. I like it but, like someone else said, it smells like fancy soap on me. Like the kind my grandma uses. Pretty but not me. Traded away to someone who can do it justice.

At first sniff: a strong, feminine rose blend with an edge. It's interesting that this is indeed a very "Victorian" scent; it reminds me of the way old preserved Victorian homes smell. The rose smells like tea rose on my skin, and I can't guess what the spices are, but they are amazingly complimentary to the strength of the rose note. This smells like a seductress with a beautiful, alluring appearance and a rotten core. Lovely, a beautiful floral with a kick.

I've been going back and forth on this one for several months. In the bottle it smells like an innocuously soapy floral, and half and hour on my skin later it smells sharply, sneezily soapy, the rose and spices pickling my nose.

In fact, it changes so much that I almost forget what it smells like - the fact that a friend of mine hated it when I tested it on her and it changed from its soapy phase to a still worse sweaty phase really made me upset.

However, after the soapy stage is over for Lucy's Kiss on my own skin, it settles into what it says it is - a very girly, light Victorian rose with very girly and sweet spices. This means that it's still slightly soapy, but classically so, with a delicate sweetness that is quite pleasant! It smells really nice at this point (my husband likes it), and the the rose makes it enough of a "me" scent to finish out the imp (in fact, I think there are a few occasions for which it would be the perfect scent for me to wear), but it's just a little bit too much trouble for an only just above average payoff. If this weren't a BPAL, I would buy a full bottle, but I know Beth does better work than this (to me at least).

Edited by LadyMedb

Wet: Wow, what an excellent rose! It's light, and spiced just a little.

Drydown: (After spilling half my imp) It tingles a little on my arm. Some of the spices are singe the skin just a little bit. It's still a dusty, light rose, with just a bit of peppered tingle to it to make it interesting. It is burning, though - and I doubt that's a good sign.

Verdict: Lovely, light, but now my arm's got a big red welt. :P

:P Love this rose scent! It smells a little stronger in the bottle, but lightens up after a little wear. Not cloying, I foresee a bottle in the future.

I had been looking forward to trying Lucy's Kiss. Her character is one I'm really fond of from Stoker's book. While I liked the perfume idea in theory, I'm not sure I like how it plays out in practice. This rose scent is *very* old-fashioned, almost powdery or like a rose-spice potpourri. I was hoping the rose scent would stay clean and fresh, and the spices more sharp and pungent, but instead this is more sweet-powdery on me.