Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Lucy's Kiss

Created to represent the essence of Bram Stoker's tragic heroine, Lucy Westenra. Seductive, wanton and deadly, but underscored with a soft, wistful innocense. The gentle scent of rose and a blend of Victorian spices.

Alas, this is the chemical rose on me. I do get a bit of spice behind it, but the rose is too overpowering and turning evil on me. I might give it a second chance later though.

On the wand, this is spiny and high-pitched, but it immediately warms once it touches my skin. I’m inclined to think that there’s orange blossom in here, but a quick check of the ingredients informs me that I’m wrong.

The spices are very nice. They clothe the rose in a warm, elegant haze, subduing the floral nature of the scent in favor of something more intangible. Lucy’s Kiss has sophistication without haughtiness -- a casual sophistication: the innate class of a woman to whom it has never occurred to be unclassy.

As time passes, the rose seems a bit misplaced and forward in the scent. It appears above the rest of the smell, but this would be pretty enough with the spices alone. As it is, it’s too high-pitched and it doesn’t quite seem right to me. It’s a nice enough blend, but I’m looking for something more.

If only I could wear rose blends this would be perfect. I can't, unfortunately, and this, like 99% of the other rose blends I've tried, gave me headache :P

Edited by Eros

In the imp: weak, watery rose

On the skin: smells like a weak tea rose on me. There’s only about 3 BPAL rose blends that I can do and this is not one of them. I find this to be weak, watery, with a slight chemical tang. The spices are there but they do not compliment the rose well on my skin nor to my nose.

Smelled while outside (it’s so cold here, -2*F), my hand smells good, especially from a distance. The rose was nice, sweet, pretty. I didn’t get that weak chemical smell. And after washing my hands, Lucy’s Kiss is still sticking around – now the rose is taking on a powdery aspect and the rose scent has smoothed out. I think that I prefer this scent in smaller doses. Not enough to want a bottle but maybe enough to keep an imp.

In bottle: Pears and wet florals

Wet: much the same only more spread out and drying out a bit. Which is too bad, I liked the wetness (it seemed appropriate for a kiss :P )

Dry: the pear has receded and the florals have partially dried out but not completely. It’s settling into a very pretty feminine scent. I’m not sure it quite goes with the ratty jeans and hiking boots I have on, but it’s nice.

Later: turns a bit soapy but not in a bad way – more of a freshly bathed soapy than a bitter-washed-your-mouth-out-with-soap soapy.

Summary: Nice enough to keep for the moment, not nice enough to crave a big bottle.

Lucy's Kiss was the first bottle I ever bought and one of my first rose-scents.

Appropriately, it seems to me like more of a "younger" rose scent, girlish like the rose in Persephone. It's Victorian roses in a nursery, not the heady womanly scent of London or The Peacock Queen, and definitely not the naughty rose of Whip or Wanda.

After a while, it started turning into a powdery rose, so I had to get rid of the bottle. I still have an imp, in case I want to feel girly. :P

I've decided I like rose scents. Not as much as I like amber, musk and vanilla, but I like them for when I'm feeling girly and fragile.

Lucy's Kiss is at once both womanly and innocent....just like the description. The rose is clean and light....not a deep overblown red rose or dried roses (like Zombi) but a soft pink or white rose that has been elegantly pruned and placed in the sitting room of a well to do home. The spices are subtle, but serve as a complex background to make this more than just a "rose" scent.

I like Zombi better for my rose needs, but I'll definitly keep this imp!

Begins pretty strongly rose... I think I can faintly detect the spices, but they are quite gentle. Something is keeping it from being Just Rose.

However, not very long after touching my skin... it's turning to soap. This is the first BPAL blend ever to go soapy on me, and that is including other rose blends (Wanton, Black Rose). I don't think I need to hang on to Lucy or her kisses.

Imp: Sharp powdery rose

Wet: Pretty rose. No spice to speak of...

Dry: Fresh pretty pink rose with a soft twist of something (which must be the "Victorian spices"). I actually like this one! I have had a hard time finding The Rose for me, and while this might not be "My True Love ~ The Rose" blend, I do actually like it. It's not too heady on me like Black Rose or Spellbound, nor "meh" like Whip and London.

Pwetty :P

Lucy's Kiss:

In the imp: Just rose; a big bouquet of full, bright spring rose. A bit of an old-fashioned feel.

Initial: WOW. Lots of beautiful rose, but rose tinged with regret. Almost a little lemony.

Drydown: Still rose, but slightly spicy. Still a lonely, regretful rose sitting in the sun in a beautiful, fancy abandoned house.

Final: Not really for me. This makes me a bit depressed, haha.

I was so looking forward to this one - roses and spices, two of my favorite notes!

And indeed, on drydown I get a faint rose scent. But mostly? Grass. Lawnmower clippings. Grass grass grass. :P

Such a sad, grassy disappointment! Back into the swap pile with this one.

strangely the two times i tried it out i had slightly different effects.

lucy's kiss smells like roses mixed with greeness. the rose is apparent but not overpowering; it smells sensual but at the same time the green/fresh smell gives it a more innocent and young quality.

the first time i wore it the rose does not come off so strongly, but i tried it again last night and all i got was roses. unfortunately i am not a big fan of rose though i do admit it is befitting of its name.

I love anything with rose, so it's definitely my kind of scent. I really like the blend of spices and soft rose, the spices do start to dominate the scent after a while, but overall it's a nice scent. It's also quite strong on me.

Edited by porcelain

Wet: Roses, but not too sweet -- definite spicy undertone.

As it dries, this smells like soap to me -- very nice soap, very posh soap, but soap nonetheless, though not at all bitter. It is decidedly Victorian; I could easily imagine wearing this with a high-necked lacey dress. I myself prefer something a bit sexier, so I don't know how often I'll actually wear this, nice as it is.

ETA: forgot to mention that this does have pretty impressive staying power. It was still quite distinct on my wrists at the end of the day.

Edited by Baitu

This a very strong rose and to me, it truly is a very Victorian scent. The scent didn't morph too much on me from when I put it on. It went on rose and stayed rose. The rose has a bit of a bite, slightly soapy, and it has incredible staying power. I put it on last night around 7 PM and it is still very noticeable on my wrists. If you are a rose fan, you'll like this one.

This is a lovely rose scent. There's definitely a dried quality to the roses, a powdery vintage scent very much in keeping with the whole victorian theme.

It takes a while for the underlying spices to show up, but they do, very faintly. This succeeds as a vintage rose blend where Kelly Pool failed for me. And while I'm not as fond of this particular rose as I am of Whip, this is still beautiful.

Not a bottle, but keeping the imp.

This is a lovely, light rose scent. There's definitely something keeping the rose from turning a little sickly on me, which has happened with a couple of the other rose based oils that I've tried. I'm still very bad at identifying individual notes!

I'll definitely keep this imp and I may even consider a bottle. Pretty, sweet and it stays in the background nicely and doesn't give me a headache like some of the stronger rose scents do occasionally (Viola, I'm looking at you!).

I ordered this one by name alone, and I am so glad I did. It went from my first imp purchase to being my first bottle purchase, and the only scent I wear regularly.

In the imp/bottle: I definitely smell the rose, which is a good, fresh rose scent, not the powdery or heavy blown rose of so many body products. Just under the rose are other florals, and a tiny bit of something green and spicy.

Wet: The rose is unleashed and it whispers around me, while close to my wrist is more of that complex spiciness. I love putting it on, and getting this first wave of powerful scent, though I can't do it at work, because the throw is extreme.

Dry down: The swirling veil of rose dies down, and the spicy green comes to the front. There is still a floral note, though it is less obviously rose at this point, just a lingering, fresh sweetness. This scent lasts for hours, well through a work day, and the throw is just long enough that I can smell my wrist at my keyboard, but it doesn't reach my nearest co-worker.

This perfume feels very womanly in a fresh, dreamy, elegant way, and I just adore it. I adore every stage it goes through, and am constantly delighted by it.

In Imp: Little Old Lady Convention.

Wet: Strong but standable, with the promise of something wonderful poking out in the gradual dry down. Clean, rosey soap popping out from underneath. Mmmmmm, this just hits the back of my nose and swirls around in there.

½ Hr. Dry Down: A great rose, well done. Very Victorian and old world. This is a good rose for me, but in general, all roses are good for me since I LOVE rose scents.

1 hr. Later: I can still smell the roses, strong and wafting up to me from my wrist. I love it when perfumes do this because just a turn this way or that, just a flip of the hand, and you can smell your perfume. Lovely!

What a gorgeous, soft rose blend!!

Like others have mentioned, this is like a potpourii of dried roses. Light and airy when some rose blends can tend to be heavy and too much.

This would be a beautiful blend to start with if you're on the fence about wearing rose scents.

I can stop sniffing myself! Next 5ml purchase for sure.

In the imp, I can smell the spices clearly. It's like they've been layed over rose petals or something. On my skin, however, it's a very Victorian rose - all lace, corsets, good manners, parasols and just a little bit of dust. It's not a "wet" scent at all, but definitely dry. While I enjoy how effectively it sets an image for me, I don't think I'd want to wear Lucy's Kiss. It's...not really me.

Another freebie. The contents are pretty much as advertised. A weak rose scent with a hint of other things. Bland, girlie, not very interesting. I am not sure how this is supposed to be wanton and deadly, instead of old fashioned girl potpourri in the underwear, but my taste is likely not theirs. Meh.

Got this as a frimp and I have mixed feelings. I've tried it a few times and each time has been an entirely different experience - from the very good to the very, very bad. I loved this the first time I wore it. At first, it reminded me of my grandmother's rose garden, as all I could smell were roses, and mostly just one type of rose. As I wore it, it slowly morphed into something more complex - the spices, I guess. It lasted a ridiculously long time and my husband loved it. I wore it again today and it immediately turned in cat litter, and not even fresh cat litter, but cat litter that desperately needs to be changed... I think I'll give this another try later in the month because I really loved it that first go-round. Maybe today was a fluke?