Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Lusty myrtle and jasmine with red sandalwood, stargazer lily, and clove over an opulent, rich bed of warm musk and bourbon vanilla.

In the bottle: Red musk and bourbon vanilla and something woody, sandalwood, I guess.

Wet: Sandalwood and jasmine, very perfumy and warm.

Drydown: Lily comes out, it's slightly aquatic and mixes well with the jasmine, which is soft and creamy. Florals dominate the blend, with hints of vanilla. The sandalwood is a nice base, it stays quietly in the background, you only smell it if you look for it. As it dries down, red musk starts to emerge and give it a really naughty vibe. Finally, the boozy vanilla comes back out again and dominates the blend.

Overall: It's predominantly a creamy yellow-white floral of lily and jasmine. Very sensual and feminine, it's a scent I'd associate with luscious body cream. It's not at all foody, and there's something a bit intriguing about it. It definitely represents a goddess of seduction very well, it's a warm and inviting scent.

Edited by Meg

A very lovely, heady, "white florals" fragrance. I tested it yesterday before bed without knowing the notes, and for some reason it reminded me of Euterpe and Sacred Whore of Babylon. I guess it's the "spicy, heady floral" which they each have elements of. I did not detect the red musk and bourbon vanilla unfortunately. - I'm still learning, so perhaps I'm one of those girls who amp up the florals.

At first, this is pure jasmine, then later with musk and clove. A minute later it begins to settle and the vanilla starts to shine through. The clove in this is a tad too strong for me – something about the scent sort of threatens to give me a headache (which is exceedingly rare in BPAL scents, indeed one of the things I’ve so come to love about this company – even when the scents don’t work!). I’ll retest it because I do so adore the jasmine but I might not be able to use up my imp which would be a great shame.

This smells like a sweet, sweet jasmine and lily scent over a slight vanilla base. This is an extraordinarily lovely jasmine blend; the floral aspect of Peitho is simply irresisitable and undeniably feminine. There is a slight powdery feel to the undertones, but not enough to spoil the richness of the scent for me. Gosh, this is just gorgeous! The more I sniff my wrist, the more I like it. There is a slightly sharp, green/ aquatic edge in there somewhere.

I really love this, and I'm not usually one for the strongly floral blends. This smells divine on me, and I am considering a 5 ml. I don't know how long this lasts, but the little bit that I tried on my wrist has a lot of throw.

in the vial: I don't what this is but it's lovely... sharp flower, spicy fruit?

on me: fruit, herbs, cinnamon

later: mmm, peppery sweetness

Also reminds me of my mom cooking in the kitchen for some reason.

Strongly floral right off the bat. I can smell the myrtle and the jasmine over everything else but I’m going to let it settle down to dry and then see how it smells.

Yet it never settles down—it’s strongly floral but the type of floral which is starting my allergies to act up. This isn’t all that good. aw, well, another for the swaps pile...

Rating: 2.5/5

Edited by Lunaratu

In the imp, Peitho was almost like a single note - and this single note was, you guessed it, jasmine. Which is not a problem for me at all, jasmine being one of my favourite florals.

As soon as it touched my skin, Peitho mellowed into this beautifully complex scent. Still predominantly jasmine, but softened by a wonderful creamy note, most likely the vanilla. This is rich without being cloying, fresh without being soapy, bright without being sharp. Very enjoyable and well-balanced.

Once it reached complete drydown, it simply kept becoming lighter and softer, yet it lasted for a good ten hours on my skin before fading completely.

I did not get any of the warmer/heavier notes such as musk, clove or sandalwood, which is probably why in spite of the description, I would not call this blend lusty. It is, however, sensual in a more sophisticated sort of way and impressively well-balanced for a jasmine scent, given jasmine's tendency to overpower other notes in a blend.

A keeper, definitely.

Peitho went on like strong disinfectant. It was difficult to inhale deeply to get a good read on this one. The jasmine was super strong and when mixed with the clove became lethal on my skin. I left it on for a couple of hours hoping that it would mellow with my skin and let the vanilla come out but it was not to be....I want to like jasmine and do like it in small doses - this was a whopper dose though.

One of my first buys, I was searching for a jasmine scent. At first sniff I smell a sweet, sharp, flowery scent. Once on I am reminded of a clean and sophisticated perfume (one my mother wore). It softens and deepens on my skin as it's drying. And finally fades into a slight jasmine scent. A lovely light fragrance for summer, but does not last any time on my skin.

Warm musk and bourbon vanilla should definitely be good on me; jasmine and red sandalwood may or may not, so anything could happen!

In the imp: jasmine, no surprises there! Also vanilla and clove. Mmm.

Wet on me: jasmine and warm sandalwood. Not as strong as I would have expected.

Drydown: non-soapy jasmine, musk, a little bit of vanilla. It's warmed by the clove and sandalwood.

Everything in here seems very subdued and warm. Ordinarily I like my perfumes to have a little more oomph, but I like how the jasmine in this isn't getting soapy on me. Vanilla and musk is also a favourite combination of mine, so I'm going to keep the imp. It's a languid, sexy kind of smell without being at all aggressive.

Oh, dear.

My boyfriend's first words when he hugged me within minutes of my first application of Peitho: "You smell like a Porta-potty!"

Thankfully I'm used to his romantic way with words, so I told him to wait a while before smelling me again -- the oils hadn't had time to react with my skin's chemistry, settle, all that. Meanwhile, he backpedaled: "Not like a Porta-potty, exactly. Like the thing they put in the Porta-potty so it doesn't smell like one." Yes, darling, thank you; I knew what you meant the first time.

Wet: Strong jasmine, sweet vanilla, faint sandalwood, floral? Apparently also air freshener. *I* didn't get the impression of urinal cake, just that it was strong, heady floral, and seemed to have a hard time finding balance between scents.

Dry: The jasmine backed off some, I finally got a little lily; I think the musk is the only think that kept the whole thing from going completely 'off' on me, though. Clove never made an appearance.

I do think this could easily be lovely on someone who played well with jasmine-vanilla scents, since the myrtle/lily/clove should keep it from being too heady, and musk grounds it to the skin with that hint of sensuality that I love. However, this one goes to the swaps for me.

In the vial...woah…this is straight jasmine and I loooove this! It's more jasmine grandiflorum than sambac (which happens to be my fav) but I love jasmine all round. When first applied it came screaming off my skin and had fantastic sillage. I don't know if my nose has just gotten used to it but about 10 minutes later it has mellowed out. I think this would be a good one for anyone who likes Lush's Flying Fox, or jasmine in general.

Jasmine is the most obvious at first, but the musk and sandlewood creep up on you. This is pretty nice, but I am a sucker for jasmine, as much as I can be for a floral and this is pretty pleasing as floral blends go.

PEITHO

You know what Peitho is to me? I tried it a couple years ago and it was the first jasmine scent I fell in love with. Before that, I was iffy on jasmine blends. Now? I love many more of them. However, Peitho is still one of my favorites. It's one of the most lusty jasmine blends I have ever smelled and I has a nice, strong throw. The bonus? To me it smells *so much* like LUSH's Flying Fox perfume, Youki Hi bath bomb, and Fox in the Flowers shower gel.

Edited by alicia_stardust

In the imp, I definitely get lily and jasmine - all florals, no spices, no musk, no vanilla.

On my skin, it's still all heavily floral - and when it dries, it's "florals, ahoy", and then powder. Definitely not for me.

I remain ambivalent about this scent. I got it off a friend who seems to have the exact opposite body chemistry that I do. It's very floral, almost too much so. I find it uncomfortably similar to mass market perfumes, and it reminds me of why I stopped wearing them. It doesn't have much throw, but whenever I get a whiff of it, it's like a sock full of flowers to the face.

Overall, not a bad scent, just not one for me.

All I get from Peitho is plumeria. Nice but not what I'm looking for. This is another one for the give-away pile.

Edited by whiterosepetals

This blend was on my "no" list before I got it free from the lab. Not complaining, just saying that it wasn't something that appealed to me, but sometimes I am pleasantly surprised.

Smelling in the imp- ugh. Something in this reminds me of Languor, which I hate. Gulp. (Goes off to compare ingredients). Nope. Okay. Here goes.

(Applies to easily washoffable wrists).

Ugh. Still not appealing. Will try to live with it as long as I can, who knows it might morph into something I really like.

Jasmine and sandalwood is a classic fragrance combination, and it's a great success in Beth's blendy artistan hands.

I'm a sucker for jasmine, so Peitho and I are fast friends. The woody undertones complement the almost-spicy jasmine note nicely, and give it a little edge.

I like it, but it's a little headache-inducing up close. It's pretty, and overall pleasant. In terms of notes, I am not getting much sweetness or warmth here (I can't pick up on any vanilla or musk). Those creamy notes must be way in the background, but they're not rounding out the blend as much as I expected them to by reading the description.

This is a nice jasmine scent, and I'm glad I got to try it, but I have other jasmines that I simply love more.

3.8 out of 5

Wet: This smells very familiar.. what is that?

Dry: OH! This smells almost exactly like Lush's Silky Underwear dusting powder! This is one of the only jasmine scents that works on me; I can barely detect it. I can only describe this as a soft, powdery scent.

On a scale of 1-5, I'd give this a 3.7.

I won't be needing a big bottle of this until I finish off the Silky Underwear that I have sitting in my room; they're too close to each other to need both! :P

Okay, I obviously have no refined sense of smell whatsoever. *bows head in humble shame*

Peitho came to me as a frimp from the ever generous lab. Just poured some from the imp onto my wrists and inhaled with deep delight.

And what did I think, without knowing what on earth I was smelling? What I thought was "beautiful delicious flowers. What could these be? Oh, must be roses".

Because, you see, I happen to dearly love roses, or at least some of the best of Beth's roses (like Rose Red 2007, praise all compassionate goddesses...that was in the order that netted me the current frimp of Peitho. But I digress.). Roses=good. This is good, ergo it must be roses.

And yeah, maybe incensey goodness, thought I.

So then I came to see what on earth was really going on with this blend, and hey, you could have knocked me over with a jasmine blossom, you could have.

*Looks at list and sniffs wrists yet again whilst typing* (be impressed, this is hard).

This is jasmine? It doesn't smell like jasmine. But it smells heavenly. (stargazer lilies? actually usually I don't like lily in my perfumes..but, okay).

Drifts of spice (clove? really? who would have thunk).

So--this is a beautiful fragrance, and educational besides, because I guess I have discovered jasmine is my dear and delicious friend.

*resumes gentle wrist inhaling, although the throw on this one is pretty good*

I'm pretty unknowledgable when it comes to flowers. I think most flowers just smell like... flowers. And unsurprisingly, I'm not into flowers.

I had no idea that this is what jasmine smelled like? I read that there was lily in here too, which even though I can't detect it, that alone makes me want to never wear it again. Lilies=funerals. Or more accurately, a particular funeral springs to my mind, one that I do not care to conjure up in my mind's eye too often.

Smelling this reminded me of my childhood backyard, and my grandmother's lilac bush. But she was an unpleasant, unhappy woman, so again, it's not a memory that I care to dwell on.

So, I smelled lilac, lots of lilac, with a smokier/earthier base grounding it. Must be the musk or sandalwood showing up? Sadly, they are no match for the overpowering floral scent-- they accent the floral, not blend with it. This scent is too much for me: death-by-flowers.

I only have an imp, so perhaps I'll try it again-- maybe in the springtime, or when I'm not burdened by the mental associations these scents trigger. Until then, this is way too flowery for me.

ADDED 4 YRS LATER--

After all that aging, now it's more or less just baby powder.

Edited by mazikeen

I got it as a frimp in my very first order, and it is absolutely positively my favourite scent so far. I adore lily scents, and this one totally blew me away. On my skin it's mostly lily, with definite clove and vanilla notes to warm it up and make it deliciously exotic. Every time I wear it I feel completely feminine and sexy. It's soft and florally enough for my girly moments, but packs enough spice and zing to spur me into any sort of trouble I might want to get into..... :P

In the Bottle: Warm vanilla with some spice

On Me: This is so yummy. The Vanilla blends down to more of a vanilla bean, and mixes beautifully with the sandlewood and clove to create a warm vaguely spicey resiney scent. The florals blend in beautifully to create a bit more depth and interest. Love it.