Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The Goddess of Persuasion, Seduction and Sexual Wiles. A member of Aphrodite’s retinue, she is also Aphrodite’s daughter and sister to Tyche and Eunomia. Lusty myrtle and jasmine with red sandalwood, stargazer lily, and clove over an opulent, rich bed of warm musk and bourbon vanilla.

I don't know why, but this went very old lady/thrift store smelling on me. :P

Had to wash it off right away. Safe to say, not for me.

Another Lab frimp, which came to me in a state of cracked leakage. I got a big whiff of jasmine when I opened the box for that order, and there was enough of the oil still in the vial to assure me that white florals were in my reviewing future.

In the imp: Vaguely perfumey white florals. I can't differentiate them yet.

Wet on skin: Hello, jasmine! The whole thing is still homogeneously white floral, with jasmine being the one identifiable aspect so far.

Drydown: Freshly dry, still plenty of jasmine. Some of the spicier stuff seems to be showing up a little underneath there, though I can't differentiate those notes yet either. At one hour in, it's pretty much a white floral, with jasmine as the most prominent note still.

Five hours later: The florals have receded enough that I'm finally getting a little whiff of the spicier notes under there. It's faint, though.

End of the day: Gone.

Overall: Well, seems like half of the notes listed for this one never even showed up on me. Musk? Vanilla? Where? It was pretty much exclusively jasmine most of the time, and the brief appearance of what was presumably (though not entirely identifiably) clove and laurel was too little and too late to really be worthwhile. This wasn't objectionable to my nose, but neither is it something I'm anxious to wear again. No reason to be heartbroken about that broken imp.

I think my experience with Peitho is fairly similar to a lot of others...

First impression: Wow, this is flowery... hmmm, maybe too flowery... wait... (checks description) Oh, of course. hel-LO, jasmine!

Like all jasmine seems to so far, this immediately turns into jasmine single note on me, and remains a happy, amping jasmine that makes my coworkers squint and flare their nostrils in my presence.

However, a few hours in (when I've barricaded myself in my cube where my jasminey presence can't offend people), I notice something... is that sandalwood trying to peek through the jasmine? Possibly hand-in-hand with something spicy?

A few hours after that, I really did have a nice blend of tolerable jasmine with spices, the warmth and sweetness of the bourbon vanilla, and some of the grounding of the woods. However, since it took hours of jasmine single-note to get to that stage, I think I will probably not be wearing Peitho often.

Sniffed in imp: Extremely pale yellow oil. Sweet, rich, and floral with a hint of spice. The jasmine is very strong, and the clove and lily are distinct a well. A bit oriental in feel, and somewhat 'traditional'. Sophisticated.

Imp: White. Just very clean, soft and white. I received it along with a frimp of Midnight and thought I had cracked Midnight by mistake.

Wet: The vanilla makes itself heard as does the jasmine. This reminds me of biggerCritters but there's an underlying hint of metal that reminds me there be clove here.

Dry: Beautiful. Drop dead beautiful. The jasmine and lily combine into this amazing, soft floral. The musk and vanilla are like the most sensuous skin scent you can imagine. The clove doesn't do its usual "blood metal" thing it does to me. I get a sense of th sandalwood but it's not overly woody or cloying. Gorgeous. Just... gorgeous. This isn't necessarily a list of my holy grail ingredients, and it is definitely more than the sum of its parts.

Throw: Average.

Overall: The drydown is pretty and the final stage is gorgeous. This is sexy and womanly and just smells amazing on my skin. I'm glad to have tried it and this unlikely black horse has shot straight to the top of my five ml list.

In the imp: Assertive, a big tangle of flowers.

Wet: One flower takes over ... but I suck at identifying flowers, so I'm really not sure what it is. Maybe jasmine? That sounds about right.

Drying: And that's it, apparently. On me, it's a one-note floral. Meh.

I do not like this one. Jasmine rarely works on me, and this is no exception. The Stargazer Lily is not helping things. Bourbon and vanilla I love, but I detect none here. Oh well, can't love them all.

Wet: Floral SOAP. Sigh. :(

First on: Still soapy. I think it's jasmine's fault again.

Dry: Unchanged. I was hoping for musk and bourbon vanilla.

jasmine and lily.....warm sunny easter eggs... like Eos.

Pleasant, but like something I'd expect my Nana to wear.. not me ;)

Imp: Sweet stargazer lily over something darker and richer.

Wet: Lily and myrtle and the smoky richness of clove.

Dry: Jasmine gets stronger and stronger. The clove and musk make a dark dry backdrop and the sandalwood is creamy and soft. No vanilla to my nose though...it would have been a nice addition. I'll have to retest another day.

Initially over-the-top floral and then dries down to a very soapy soap smell vaguely reminiscent of that old Imperial Leather soap we used to get when I was young.

2/5 Soap :sad:

I think I need to give up on jasmine as a note for me. The two of us just so rarely get along. This went screamy jasmine on me, with very little support from the other notes. Normally clove and I are good friends, but he was nowhere to be seen here. I thought the bourbon vanilla might temper this for me, but no such luck.

Imp: Baby wipes and diaper :nervous:

Wet: Jaaaaaasmiiiiiinne

Drydown: /sigh Jasmine

Overall: Curses and drat! I was expecting a lot of complexity and ended up with a jasmine single note. I've got a lot of things with Jasmine that do way more than this blend, so it's off to the swaps

Wet, this is all jasmine on me. As it dries, the lily comes out a bit, but I unfortunately don't get any of the musk or vanilla. This is straight-up floral on me, and very light, at that. Probably going to pass it on to someone who can give it more love - it's just not doing it for me!

In vial: jasmine over something incredibly rich and warm and perfumy with a base of vanilla.

Wet on skin: clove, musk, vanilla and JASMINE! If it wasn't for the JASMINE this would be really nice - powdery sweet and complex.

Dry on skin: see above.

Ahhh! Stargazer lily...and jasmine. This indoles in the jasmine are strong at first overshadowing the stargazer until the myrtle bends the whites toward the green side and becomes spiced by the clove. The final drydown takes a while but is well worth the wait. The blend is sugared with warm bourbon vanilla, musk and a soft sandalwood base. Quite the change from the wet, evolving into a beautiful warm floral.

This should have been epic amounts of win with musk and bourbon vanilla, but fricking jasmine! Why, oh why do you constantly interfere with the oils I try this week. I keep trying on blends with it and my skin keeps amping it until it's drowned out everything I was looking for. :evil:

Inside the imp, heavy jasmine. :ack:

On the skin, jasmine. Ugh. And soap. :(

Where's the bourbon vanilla? Where is the clove and musk?

All I get is soapy jasmine perfume.

In the imp: Jasmine! And a hint of sandalwood.

Wet: This is very jasmine, but I can smell a bit of the lily in the background. So far a nice floral scent.

Dry: The musk is coming out now! It's quite a heady scent. Not something I'd wear for work, but maybe outside!

Soft, with nice incense and floral notes and just a bit of spice. The clove and the bourbon are a wonderful addition and keep it form being too sweet. It's an enormously playful and charming scent, I imagine it being quite disarming on a woman, whether she be a lady or a tomboy or anything in between. It's a very unexpected but quite energetic and bold scent, very, very nice.

imp: myrtle, lily and jasmine. very soft and pretty.

wet: jasmine. alas.

dry: the jasmine is fading somewhat. it's still the strongest note but at least it's becoming easier to bear.

In spite of the lovely bourbon vanilla which makes every floral blend more beautiful, Peitho isn’t really my style. A strong jasmine note is too sharp and spicy for me. It’s wearable here, thanks to the creamy bourbon vanilla that smoothes it out a little. The jasmine is still very powerful, however. If you can’t wear jasmine or only like a little hint of jasmine, I would not recommend Peitho for you. There’s another floral note besides the jasmine that I can’t identify – myrtle, I guess. But it’s weak compared to Queen Jasmine.

It's been ages since I wore this scent. It was one of the very first BPAL scents I ever tested, but somehow I never got round to writing a review.

In the vial - A powdery floral with a background of warm vanilla and sandalwood.

Wet on the skin - The sharp scent of lily (my Note of Death) is definitely there, but the warm, soft woods and vanilla are softening it and giving me hope. It's a sensual, warm perfume that gives off a very "pink" vibe for some reason.

Next stages - Oh no oh no oh no. Stargazer Lily, go away! You are not my friend and I don't want to play with you. I'm not that fond of your BFF Jasmine, either.

Dry down - Once the harsher floral notes have worn off, it's very pleasant. Perhaps aging will help it become more rounded.

In conclusion - A pleasant and very feminine floral. Will be very nice used to fragrance body lotion or dusting powder. Good for spring.

In imp: jasmine with a flirty back.

Wet: muted jasmine with myrtle and with slight lily obscured by these 2 pals. Slight hint of clove. No bourbon vanilla.. bummer.

Drydown: still the same and if I try really hard I can smell bourbon vanilla. though that's a stretch and it must be a very small amount. I need to remember that elements are listed in order of prevalence. If the ingredients were flipped around a bit then I think this would be a hit. I still like it very much though!

Not sure how I ended up with a bottle of this. I don't recall purchasing it.. It's an older label so maybe I got it as part of a lot. (My desktop computer at home is dead so I don't have access to my spreadsheet right now.)

In the bottle: Jasmine!

On my skin: Jasmine!

There might be a hint of vanilla but to me this smells EXACTLY like the "Purple Jasmine" perfume that I still have a 5ml roller bottle of from The Body Scent which was a perfume/incense indie store in Seattle that used to be my favorite thing ever but has since closed down.

I love this Jasmine. Love love love.