Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Lusty myrtle and jasmine with red sandalwood, stargazer lily, and clove over an opulent, rich bed of warm musk and bourbon vanilla.

In the bottle: Oh, dear. There's jasmine in this, isn't there?

Wet: JAAAAAAASMINE!!

Dry: JAAAAAAAASMINE! Well, crap. Another perfectly good perfume shot to hell by the hated jasmine.

Dry, an hour later: Ooo. Myrtle. Vanilla. Hey, where'd the nasty jasmine go? This smells nice. Too bad it has zero throw and is fading fast. Hey, Beth, can I pretty please have a myrtle-based perfume without jasmine or weird throw-notes? :P

Edited by harmonyfb

Peitho

What is this "myrtle" of which you speak? I see only JASMINE. Surrender to her!

Another fine gimp from kmasden!

In the bottle:

Straight up jasmine. Not jasmine tea, nor the "meaty" jasmine I sometimes get (why does jasmine make me think of slightly spoiled steaks?), just a heady, floral jasmine.

Wet:

Smells like a overripe jasmine bloom that is a little crinkly on the edges.

Drydown:

My skin loves to throw jasmine. Total jasmine tosser. Too bad I'm not terribly in love with it. But this is... bordering on nice. I'm not getting any of the other notes as prominently as the jasmine, but there's a really well blended, warm something that keeps this jasmine from completely taking over.

Later:

For the first half of the day, I've got incredible throw and waft. Right now (about six hours later) there's still a good "glow" about me, but I don't think I'm throwing that far.

This is the most persuasive jasmine scent I've ever worn of Beth's. If I were to keep a jasmine on hand, it would be this one!

Sooo...this myrtle appears to have the same effect on me as oakmoss, at least to the guesses of the Chicago bpalers.

This means weird maraschino cherriness. I know, I know. Now go read someone else's review.

Another of my favorites (despite the husband's opinion). I really like the lab's red sandlewood. I wear this scent when I want to feel sexy.

In Bottle: Jasmine with tinges of the sandlewood and clove

On my Skin Wet - Jasmine, definitely, with the sandlewood and clove then fading with the musk and vanilla starting to warm up during the dry down.

On my Skin Dry - the jasmine has softened and allow the other floral to show through resulting in a delicate musky scent with soft florals and hints of vanilla.

This one also has good staying power on my skin which seems to "eat" softer scents.

at first: a wonderful mix. tons of different, lovely notes. slightly sweet and very lush.

on: gorgeous! fresh, sweet, creamy, and a bit floral.

half an hour later: powdery, sweet, creamy...just amazing. i'm in love!

1 hour later: still amazing. this reminds me of a scent i had when i was younger.

1.5 hours later: sweeter still and very powdery. i adore this.

overall: it's always amazing to me when i run across an oil that i love as much as this one. a definite keeper and a possible bottle once i finish my imp.

In the bottle: Yum! A mixture of wonderful scents- sugary vanilla, florals, and a hint of woodiness

Wet: first swiped on my skin, I can barely smell anything -maybe a hint of vanilla

Dry down: As this dries down, it becomes more fragrant and strong. I can smell the florals in this but it isn't powerfully floral - which turns me off. I think the sandalwood and clove even the playing field. The vanilla really makes a great base to this.

Conclusion: This is a very warm, sweet floral without being too overly powerful. I will keep the imp but personally can't see me using a 5 ml.

Like other have mentioned, Peitho starts out *really* sharp. But after about half an hour, the vanilla peeks its head out and the entire scent softens and mellows. It's rather nice, but I think I prefer sunny Eos a little more.

Edited by Katinka

Wet on my skin, Peitho reminds me so much of Phantasm that I actually looked at the label twice to make sure I got the right imp. Same citrusy, jasmine note.

On the drydown, Peitho is creamier, sweeter and more lush. It stays close to the skin. Very lovely and feminine.

To me, Peitho is an older, stronger and lustier version of Phantasm. I like it, but since I already have a bottle of Phantasm, I see no use in keeping the imp.

This starts out as that soapy "too concentrated flowers" smell. It dries down to a riotous, thick heady scent of white flowers, most notably jasmine, but the lily is definitely there. The musk is too, deep at the base and mildly, not taking over. The vanilla just adds a tinge of sweetness at the base along with it. I find this scent a floral with a subtle supporting base. Very nice.

This reminds me of phantasm too, which also reminds me of jean paul gaultier. Rich, rich vanilla, and florals. A bit heady and a bit too rich for me. I like this at home, but I can see how this might knock me out at work or in other confined places. This is a big scent, a bit too big for me.

I wouldn't have picked this for myself (jasmine! gaaah!) but it was a generous frimp with a swap, which I really appreciate--so here goes nothing!

In the imp: Jasmine. This is really all I need to know, but... *deep breath*

On me: The vanilla and sandalwood undertones here are actually quite nice, but there's still no getting around the horrid, soapy, old-lady thing that jasmine does on my skin.

I'll re-frimp this with my next swap and share the love; it'll find the right home sooner or later!

The other components sounded promising, and I've tried some scents with jasmine where the jasmine stayed nicely blended into the background (Namaste for instance). Here it was pretty much the only thing I could smell, an overpowering cloying sweetness that made me go wash my wrists.

And Laurel passed it off to me!

Sadly my skin did this:

JAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASMINE!jasminejasminejasmine!

After three hours it did this:

Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaasmine! jasminejasminejasmineVANILLA!

Which isn't to say that this wasn't pretty. I had compliments all day about how nice I smelled. I'm just not overly fond of jasmine. However, I do have a friend who loves it so it's off to her.

Notes: Great throw on it and it lasted five hours which, for a non-incense scent, is a record on me.

mmm, peitho; powdery & floral. creamy. i detect vanilla. i detect jasmine! (always, detecting jasmine. i think that i could now pick it out from a mile away, you know!)

beautiful oil.

hmmm This is light and floral. I think I may have found a type of vanilla that doesn't go weird on me!!! yay! however there is jasmine here. And the jasmine is still doing that jasmine thing of going weird powdery. I never got any clove at all. oh well I love the vanilla, but I don't think it makes up for the jasmine.

Wet, I am definitely getting the sandalwood, clove and musk (all of which I like just fine), with floral overtones (must be the lily and jasmine, but I can't pick out the individual notes - just a very tasty flower scent). This is absolutely scrumptious.

The sandal and musk pull back a little after a while, leaving a very intriguing warm floral with just a breath of vanilla. Oh, my, I do smell yummy! :D

Oh, joy! IT LASTS ALL DAY!!! I usually lose florals right away, but not this one. AWRIGHT!!! WAHOOO! I love it and it lasts!

This one goes instantly to the top of my list (right up there with Cheshire Cat and Enraged Orangutan Musk). Yes, indeedy, sweety! Love, love, love it!

:P

Bottle: warm and rich, I can detect the bourbon and vanilla over woodiness

Wet: some of the floral is coming out, but still has a mulled, hot bourbon impression

Dry: still a little foody, but the musk is coming more to the fore. warm and growing more lovely.

Later: the vanilla hasn't turned this into something truly horrifying on me, for which I am grateful. it's warm and complex..some floral presence but not flowery. I would have loved more of the musk and clove, actually, but it's still rich and pleasant..not seductive, not on me, but comfortable.

in bottle: Aquatic? oddly enough, it is slightly aquatic with a light floral to it.

on skin, wet: jasmine, lots of jasmine.

on skin, dry: the jasmine has teamed up with the lily. There is a hint of creamy vanilla, but no signs of the musk, clove or sandalwood. It ends up as a rich creamy vanilla, without a hint of much else.

overall: it's a really elegant blend, but it's more for soft romance than say Persuasion, Seduction and Sexual Wiles. 4/5

In the imp: Jasmine and lily.

Wet: The uber jasmine. The floral just blew up on me in this blend.

Drydown: Ahhh sandalwood and vanilla, a little creamy, a little boozy, with the floral notes stepping back and letting this blend warm up nicely. I get an eensy little bit of clove spicing things up, but its surprisingly warm. I'm really liking this type of vanilla, and I do get a teeny bit of musk too. I think this would be light enough for spring/summer wear, actually. The florals do a nice job of lightening it up.

Verdict: Le yum. 3.5/5 on Medici's Scale o' Lurrrve

Other people would love this. The jasmine isn't plasticky, for once, and it's a very smooth, boozy vanilla-musk with a hint of clove.

Alas, the vanilla-musk that makes everyone else swoon is one of my least favorite BPAL scents. It's too sweet, and it makes me vaguely ill. So, off to someone else to love.

Rating (on skin): 4/5

Summarised in a word or two: The Jasmine Show.

In the imp: Jasmine and... well, jasmine.

On skin, wet: Jasmine, jasmine, jasmine. And a wee bit of stargazer lily. But mostly jasmine. Clove, musk, vanilla? Nowhere to be found.

On skin, dry: Jasmine. I love love jasmine and rose as single notes, but jasmine, like rose, has the habit of overshadowing every other note in a given blend; Peitho is no exception. It's the Jasmine Show, starring jasmine, and jasmine is a diva.

Conclusion/Notes: I do love jasmine, but I wish the clove, musk and/or vanilla had been given a chance.

bottle:

floral, jasmine, fresh

wet:

light floral with sandalwood

dry:

very jasmine now, still some sandalwood but mostly jasmine

overall:

not bad, but yet another jasmine blend… I think I'll pass this one on

rating: 6/10

Jasmine in studded Doc Martens stomping over everything else.

Peitho is almost indistinguishable from Ligeia to my nose. They both have the toasted grain undertone but are heavy heavy jasmine.

Peitho - With notes in this oil like jasmine and red sandalwood, I thought I was going to find it a highly unpleasant olfactory experience. I was really surprised at how light and pretty the fragrance was when I first applied it. I don’t know where the jasmine went, but since the slightest drop of jasmine usually amps up on my skin (or is at least unpleasantly discernable), I’m pretty sure the jasmine was left out of the imp I got. I can’t smell it as hard as I try! The red sandalwood is also nowhere to be found. This scent is softly and sweetly floral, with a touch of musk underneath it, and a creamy quality that I can only assume is from the bourbon vanilla. It is so pretty that as soon as I realize that my spot-test of it is going really well, I decide to apply it in several other places on my body. When I do that, it definitely seems stronger with a greater level of throw. I also notice the vanilla even stronger than before, and it has a quality that reminds me of Regan (probably the vanilla?). I really like it and look forward to wearing it again.

peitho is an odd one, on me. half of me likes it, but the other half finds it smelling sort of plasticky- i get the jasmine at first, and i like jasmine, so this is not a problem...but something about the way the other notes blend, feels kind of disjointed to me: i get the clove, not much sandalwood, and then the vanilla and lily..the overall effect is maybe just too "heady" for me, slightly overwhelming.