Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Lilithlefay

Milk Moon 2005

... Milk Moon is Flower Moon's warmer, gentler cousin; it is a scent that emulates the closeness of child and mother. In it, cream and warm honey soften our traditional blend of lunar oils.

Another one i didn't buy when available. I think the "traditional lunar oils" scared me off but i did decide to try an imp from a forum sale...

Tried it on & was a bit surprised at the mint, (or the lunar oils?) then followed a creamy coconut. Okay, not bad but not two of my favorite scents. (I have to add that neither Spooky or Snow White worked for me.) Then the warm milk comes into play & I love this!

Everything blends so well together. Creamy, warm & comforting. Did I mention I love the milk? It actually smells like sweet, warm milk! The coconut smells like coconut milk & not sun tan oil or hair oil & the mint I think keeps it from being too foody. I mean this is definitely a foody scent but the mint balances everything out somehow.

So glad I nabbed a bottle & I think I've finally learned that I must try EVERYTHING!

Cuz ya never know... :P

Milk Moon is one of the most original creations of our dear lab goddess! And THAT'S saying something, as you all know.

Milk Moon reminds me of breast feeding my daughter, without the frustration factor. It's a real memory trigger scent for me, in the most positive way.

Milk Moon goes on creamy goodness and stays that way. No mint, no coconut, no suntan oil (thank goodness) just cream & vanilla in it's most wonderful manifestation.

The "throw" of this one is fantastic & it lasts a very long (over 12 hours with one application) time. One of THE best BPAL blend!

I will wear this alone & in a wide variety of combinations. It blends beautifully with Flower Moon, as has been said already. I find that it blend really well with most florals.

A "keeper" for sure!

(PS: My experience with Milk Moon is closest to Scylla & jj_j's.)

This is one that my body chemistry wreaked havok with. In the bottle, it's buttery, creamy and delicious, with just a hint of mint...I definitely agree with the other reviewers who say they got those yummy melty buttermint candies from this. Lovely, refeshing, and comforting. :P

When I apply it...it goes right to yogurt. Mint yogurt, to be precise. That's been left in the sun, no less. For a good, long, while with the cover on. Most un-excellently uncool...I had to wash this off for it's "turned" smell and strength. I SO wish it smelled like some of the other reviews on me. :D to my wonky skin!

Before we commence with this review, please keep in mind a few things that may affect my impression on Milk Moon:

a) My track record with the Lunacy Blends has been pretty dismal. At the moment, Pink Moon is the only blend I've tried that I can wholeheartedly say I like, and Chaste Moon is okay. This is out of six Lunacy Oils, including Milk Moon.

B) I am lactose intolerant. The idea of drinking real milk makes me gag.

When I first put on Milk Moon, I was bowled over by how "oatey" or grainy in smelled. It was similar to Dana O'Shee, but less milk and almond, and more oats. In the bottle, the hint of mint (that worried me a bit, due to my experiences with Spooky that would later have a negative impact on the Tarot oil of The Star) was there, but on my skin, it disappeared.

Eventually, the oat smell gave way to something more like milk, but not like the milk I'm used to in Dana O'Shee or Sudha Segara, the latter of which I love and adore. This.... smells like baby formula.

:::ducks flying objects:::

I think I'm having a similar experience as pranashakti, because it does smell like yoghurt as well. Soli seems to also have a similar issue with it. To me, it reminds me of babies. Baby milk, baby spit, baby bottles left out in the sun a bit. Seeing as how I don't have kids, nor have I had brothers or sisters to associate the scent with, there is no sentimental fondness for me and this fragrance.

No. This is definitely not for me.

-doreen

Edited by feline.by.design

This was very reminiscent of Chaste Moon on me-- creamy milk with a smidge of mint. It's not a scent that I would wear all the time, but it is certainly very comforting. It sweetens considerably on the drydown, and has kept me in a great mood all day.

I don't know if I'd wear it enough to merit a bottle, but I could do with another imp or so to keep onhand for vegging out!

Milk Moon smells odd & good at the same time. It's rich, creamy, sweet, lightly minty, & lightly cucumber out of the bottle. The only time I've been able to pick out the cucumber note in any of the lunar blends thus far.

Strong, long-lasting (another 8+ hrs scent from this last order), & foody. Dessert food, possibly similar to Chaste Moon (which I read smells like butterscotch). Heavier scent, lightens a bit once it dries.

I like sniffing it, not sure if I like wearing it so much, maybe it's a winter blend.

Compared to the other lunacy blends I've tried (er, Wolf, Cold, Storm, er.. three, I've skipped a lot of lunars, shush), it's above Cold & below Wolf & Storm.

When this arrived with two other 5mls (Flower Moon and Arkham Revisited) my co-worker liked this one the most. Enough to immediately put some on. She smelled fantastic. I left the opened package on my desk because that's the sort of low-key work place we are (it's a small country school)

I came over to work again this morning and my co-worker smelled FANTASTIC. I commented on how nice she smelled - warm, creamy, sweet. She smiled and said she couldn't help herself, she just had to put a smidge of Milk Moon on when she came in this morning. So I immediately offered her a decant which she happily accepted.

All a flutter with excitement, I put some on tonight after my shower.

Firstly, it is STRONG. It has amazing throw. It really lets you know it's out there.

Secondly, on me it is too much. Too sweet, too caramelly, too custardy. As it dries down it becomes less overpowering, but interestingly still maintains the Big Throw it has.

Sadly, I think it's a swapper for me.

I was expecting something similar to Chaste Moon, but this is so different! I hadn't read any reviews before trying it and was very surprised at the mint. This does definitely have a similarity to Spooky, which is nice in a foody way. I don't do gourmand scents but it's still a good thing to keep around when the mood hits.

I find it interesting that there is a slightly soured undertone, but instead of thinking of sour milk, it reminds me of yogurt. Perhaps a very delish, cool, creamy vanilla yogurt topped with a sprig of mint. Mmm!

I thought I would love this when I sniffed the bottle. I hated it on my skin for the first fifteen minutes. I now like it after waiting around to see if it would change at all as it dried.

In the bottle, it smells like baked goods - fresh cream, sugar, and a little bit of mint.

Freshly applied, it smells like burned plastic covered in day-old, plain yogurt. This lasts about fifteen minutes or so before changing into....

20 mins - several hours later, it sweetens as it dries and loses the sour-yogurt smell. After a while it smells like angel food cake, only not quite as sugary sweet. It's nicely foody without making me smell like I'm knee-deep in baked goods on a hot summer afternoon... it smells more like I recently baked a cake that's just now cooling on a rack by the stove.

this is lovely, but I do wish the mintiness would hang around a little. it's so creamy and milky on me, but I don't actually like milk to drink & don't think I want to smell like it.

I've already agreed to swap it as I already have bottles of spooky and chaste moon and like those more.

I didn't order a bottle of this but wanted to try an imp because of the minty descriptions -- I hoped there might be a cold, mint ice cream kind of smell about it. I have already tried and passed along Spooky and Chaste Moon because in each one something wound up lingering on my skin or clothing that I didn't like (butter or coconut) despite my having a surprisingly favorable reaction to them initially. But I do love mint and I wasn't entirely put off by the creaminess in those, so it's worth a shot.

Preconceptions: I should first mention that I really dislike milk -- I won't drink it or eat anything with milk in it EXCEPT for some kinds of cheese and mint or rose flavoured ice cream (seriously, I'm that picky). I hate everything about milk. I even eat cereal dry. I also have literally no experience with babies -- I had no siblings and even my friends growing up were only-children. So, I don't have any maternal associations with warm, milky smells.

So, background information aside, this basically comes across to me just like Chaste Moon did. It's go a very strong mint smell to me and that buttery creaminess that I know ultimately leaves an unpleasant after-smell on my clothing if it touches it. There might be coconut in here -- I don't like the smell of coconut. There's something faintly sour to my nose as well that must be the yoghurt association that many people have (I don't like yoghurt either). Haha, I sound like such a grouch! But I do like the mintiness in this and I don't entirely dislike it, I just don't feel that it matches my chemistry and personality very well. I was having intense cravings for mint ice cream last night so I think I would have reached for this in a second to calm that part of my brain that desires mint. But seeing that many people like scents like this I will probably pass it along after trying it a couple more times. Flower Moon fortunately turned out to be a much better match for me, even though I'm as picky about florals as I am about ice cream. :P

Milk Moon--who would have guessed?

good news: it is the first Lunacy blend that really worked for me. I kind of liked Chaste Moon--that butterscotchy scent, but the dry down wasn't that impressive so I swapped it. But this truly works.

bad news: since Lunacy's never work on me, I already promised it to Rosered.

Good news again: I'm swapping for her gorgeous jewelry, so I don't feel at all bad about giving it up.

Now for the review:

In the bottle--butter! Like I imagine midway or shill to be--though this like buttery caramel or something. Ie. sweet with a hint of salt. very strong and I want to lick the bottle.

On me--first 1/2 very much the same as in the bottle.

Then the floral comes out. No floral isn't the right word. Sweetness comes out. I smell like something really delicious to eat. I get no mint at all, or coconut, thankfully.

After a bit it turns milky, and yes it is almost a baby smell (not that I've had one, but sometimes I'm around clean just fed babies and its kind of like that).

then its final morph is to a scrumptious sweet custardy smell... Like creme brulee without the burnt sugar smell.

It is very tasty, but makes me want to lick my arm.

I don't mind giving it, as I tend to only wear the foody scents at night for comfort when sleeping....and I have Dia for that. But I'm delighted to have smelled it.

I finally got this in the mail yesterday. In the bottle, I get minty cream. On me... hmm... kind of hard to put my finger on. The best way to describe it would be room temperature sour cream with a touch of something else. Not quite sure what. Grains maybe? Oats? No mint on me, just in the bottle.

This is a keeper. Very similar to Chaste Moon, but different enough.

Starts with the basenote of Spooky--I imagine that's the cream. Develops into a powdery vanilla. I imagine the comparisons to formula and breast milk are correct, but I wouldn't recognize those scents if they bit me. It goes through a coconut phase briefly, as well as a very buttery phase. I never noticed the honey expressly. It's rich and lovely and very me (despite it seeming like a mother-scent, which I emphatically am not) in almost every phase, but it fades around hour 3. I have to say this is veryvery close to becoming a signature scent for me--and of course it's a Moon! :D Good thing I got two bottles. :P

Oh, oh! I just got the exact comparison I'm looking for. It's like slightly sweetened raw milk--the milk you get straight from the farmer, that hasn't been homogenized and still has a hint of personality from the cow. It tastes stronger in the summer than in the winter due to what the cows have been eating.

Side story: my mother lived on a farm when she was young. The cows got into the wild garlic or chives or something like that, and she thought the milk was disgusting and never drank milk again. In Milk Moon's case, imagine the cows got into buttered rum and coconut. :D

On the comparison to other scents tip: in different phases, similar to Chaste Moon, Dana O'Shee (minus the overwhelming sweet stage that I dislike about Dana), Spooky, and Grog/Hellcat.

ETA: Today I put this on straight out of the shower, and totally got the sour milk smell that a lot of others experienced. I endured it, though, and I think Milk Moon settled down to its usual gorgeousness, so I'm not in any way giving up on it--but I may be more careful about applying it to shower-heated skin.

Edited by quikslvr

Big, big, big sigh.

Everyone has posted such great descriptions already, that I'll be pretty brief here:

In the bottle: Butter, cream and a tiny little nose-tingling note - a touch of mint.

Wearing: The tingly minty note disappeared and this was all butter and heavy cream on me. And that's pretty much it. REALLY strong - I only tested the tiniest bit - and really long-lasting.

Drydown: Pretty much the same. After 2-3 hours, it was a little better if you sniffed my skin directly and very closely (a bit sweeter - and kind of a vanilla cake batter smell), but the throw was still all butter and heavy cream. No honey, really.

Verdict: Not for me. Way too much butter and cream (two things I don't even like to eat much less wear). Though on the plus side I got no sour milk or yogurt smell. Just something that's a little too rich for my blood. (see below)

Lame admission: I was so hoping this would smell similar to Suave Milk and Honey conditioner. (Yes - that cheap drugstore stuff is my favorite milk and honey scent of many incarnations I have tried. Maybe my tastes in this particular scent category aren't refined enough to appreciate the Bpal.)

(ETA: But luckily, it's worked so well for many folks that it's already been swapped to a more loving home.)

Edited by wolfie13

First whiff: Buttercream! Very similar to Chaste Moon, in fact. This made me nervous, as Chaste Moon didn't work out for me =(

The buttery note died immediately, and a creamy-cool scent emerged. If anyone's tried CSP's Lait Sucre, Milk Moon has a touch of that milk note, but it's very subtle and unobtrusive (Lait Sucre has so much of that note that it smells like baby spitup :D). The sweetness that I think people are identifying as mint is (to me) clearly the honey and the lunar oils. The honey might not be immediately recognizable; certainly, it's not like the honey is Jezebel or O. But I have Honey SN, and when layered over Vanilla Bean SN, the honey completely changes, and looses its floral quality. The honey in Milk Moon smells just like that soft, mellow, sweet honey. The "cool" quality comes from the lunar oils, I believe; at least, I am oddly reminded of Blue Moon :D

The overall impression I get is of a baby's soft, sweet skin :D I love how it really does smell like milk and honey, and that the lunar oils are far in the background and beautifully accent the dominant notes without overwhelming them. Along with Blue and Red Moons, this is my favorite of the lunacies and one of my favorite LEs ever. :P Bravo!

Out of the bottle: The milk scent on this was a little stronger than I expected but I tested it anyway.

This was not the best idea as my skin took that rather light warm milk and turned it to yogurt that was sitting out in the sun and curdling. I had to wash it off almost immediately because my skin also did what it always does with the lunar oils and upped the scent of it to overpowering.

This is going to a new home. Where it will hopefully be loved.

When I first put this on, I had the overwhelming memory of lying on the beach in Mexico... because it smelled so much like suntan lotion. Just need a bit of salty breeze, swaying palm trees, warm sun, and I'd have a vacation in a bottle.

The predominant note for me is coconut, with the slightest hint of mint. I'm finding it similar to Chaste Moon in it's general feel, but rather than Chaste's caramelly warmth, it has minty coolness and ton of creamy coconut.

Lest there be any doubt - the "suntan lotion" reaction is a good one - I love coconut. :P

I really wasn't expecting to like this so much, as milk blends are hit or miss with me, but this one's a definite hit.

In bottle:

In the bottle, this is exactly what most other people thought of it - creamy, warm, smooth, just a little hint of mint. Promising

On me:

It did not go onto me the way it smelled in the bottle. Nor was I as lucky as some to have a nice smooth, creamy vanilla/minty smell come from this. On me, this is terrible. It smells like baby formula. Just warm baby formula. I don't want to smell like that. I had so hoped that the minty or coconutty smells other people described was going to be there. But it isn't.

Final note:

I will be getting rid of this as soon as possible, it really doesn't agree with me :P

Oh. My. God.

Ok, first off - I put in an order for Milk Moon with a backing of La Bella Donne Della Mia Mente and Snake Oil. Let me say that this order has probably been the best three complimentary fragrances that set up the evolutionary process of smell... but really - I cracked open the bottle of Milk Moon, sniffed, swore loudly and started cackling madly.

I'm an imbecile for not being slightly more risque and buying two bottles. Alas, such is life.

On with the show:

Creamy, whipped milk and sugar. Through and through.

As it started settling it became a slightly spiced, toasted coconut and vanilla - but really, being a lover of Spooky, Milk Moon is its docile, friendly cousin.

And I ADORE her. The throw is insane with the comforting, warm fragrance - it is innocent, but Milk Moon makes her presence known despite that.

Sheer adoration right now for nailing down a new favourite. Love you, BPAL. Keep serving it up, please, I beg you.

Wow, this is...well, milky. I never would have thought dairy could be so encapsulated in a scent, but it has been. In the bottle, I get a strong creaminess that reminds me of what I smelled in the bottle with All Saints too. Unlike in All Saints, Milk Moon's creaminess holds on to the skin, actually intensifying in strength. Over time, a glimmer of mint emerges, which is surprising. It must have been in the 'lunar oils.' The whole effect reminds me a bit of the creamy mint found in Tarot: The Star. In Milk Moon, however, the mint is only a walk-on; milk and cream remain the major players here. Strong and long lasting.

milkmoon.jpg

I just love this scent. Foody, creamy, honey, more cream and...I don't get the mint I do get lime. I would never have imagined in a million years that cream and lime would be so attractive together, but they certainly are. It lasts a very long time and is very strong. There is something about this blend that reminds me of cake frosting. This is my favorite of all the lunacy blends and I am very lucky I could get my hands on a bottle to sniff and love. It is simple, seductive, comforting and pretty. It's also a little crazy, but that's what lunar things are famous for!

Edited by olympia301

Bottle (Imp): OH! Sweet, and beautiful! More.

Just On: Oh, this is heartbreakingly sweet, and I am loving it. We'll see how the lunar oils play out, but I'm willing to bet they won't hurt me, as my skin tends to like them.

An hour or two later: Beautiful creamy milky slightly sweetness. I'm lusting for this. How sad that I missed out on bottles.

Around 6 hours: Yummmmmmm. It's started to wind down, and it's still beautiful creamy milky sweetness. I must get more of this.

12 hours: Love at first and last sniff.

Overall: This hits the big bottle list right away. I really like it a lot.

After reading other reviews: I really didn't get the mint that others did with this, but it's still so lovely that I don't care about that. Anybody who wants to swap this, or sell it to me, PM me, as I'm LOVING this scent, but I can't afford to pay over $30 a bottle on EBay.

Oh, what a fool am I. Recently someone (who are you?? come back, I've regained my senses!!) PM-ed me with a swap offer of a bottle of Milk Moon for something I was offering, and I said no, because the reviews had all led me to believe it would be far too foody or buttery or otherwise sickly on my skin. But I just got an imp and am kicking myself firmly now. For years, the only scent I wore was Skin Trip coconut lotion, and here it is, in sophisticated perfume form, with a gentle wreath of flowers wafting through. This scent reminds me of my cat's paws for some reason.... perfectly white, clean, velvety soft....