Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Lilithlefay

Milk Moon 2005

... Milk Moon is Flower Moon's warmer, gentler cousin; it is a scent that emulates the closeness of child and mother. In it, cream and warm honey soften our traditional blend of lunar oils.

Coconut? Mint? Flowers? I don't get any of that on my skin when wearing Milk Moon. I just get sweet, creamy milk. It is everything I was hoping Chaste moon would be. :P

Milk Moon is only the second Lunacy blend that I've ever tried :P

Given that my first Lunacy blend was Chaste Moon, which I really had to slather on in order to smell it, I did the same with Milk Moon. BAD IDEA. I smelled of sour milk for two hours before the scent settled down into a creamy blend of lunar oils. The next day I could smell a faint whiff of milky coconut emanating from my wrists, which made me think that I was putting on way too much. So I applied much much less, and yay, SUCCESS! Creamy lunar oils after only about 10 minutes of sour milk! (Though I haven't been able to find that coconut drydown again.) And I never got any mint, which is generally a good thing for me.

For milky BPALs, I think that I still prefer Dana O'Shee, Alice and Chaste Moon because these are all a bit more complex, but Milk Moon is very lovely in its own right and I can see myself wearing it often.

This was my first Lunacy blend, and, wow, it does not disappoint. It smells exactly like the buttery coconut cookies I used to filch from the box my mother kept on the top shelf when I was younger. And it doesn't change very much, although the coconut has faded slightly (it is now the fourth hour), and it's just a very creamy, almost caramely scent now. Makes me want to eat my wrist. This is definitely the best foody scent that I've smelled so far and is going in my top 5. I'm kicking myself for only ordering one bottle.

Initial Sniff: In the bottle, this smells just like the end of my meal at Taj India in Birmingham, AL. I still have a little of the my sweet lassi left in my glass and they bring a little dish of gulab jamun with its super sweet honey sauce. :P

Wearing: Again with the food association: there is a coffee shop in town (Expresso Royale) which makes hot milk with honey. This is that smell. It is sweet, but has lost the yogurty tang that I smell in the bottle. This one fades fast, and does not change much. The lunar oils never really peak out.

Final Impressions: I think this will make a fantastic bedtime scent! It is comforting and yummy. I was very apprehensive about this one, but I'm so glad I ordered a bottle!

In bottle: A toasted marshmallow Jelly Belly.

Wet on skin: Strong vanilla and more of that marshmallow. Very sweet, almost unbearably so.

Drydown: I get the mint under the sugary vanilla notes, just a tiny bit of cool blue mint that cuts the sweetness and is a soft little complement to the creamier notes.

Earlier I read Malista's review with the comparison to Mock Angel Food Cake...and now having smelled Milk Moon, I really want to go out and get the ingredients to make Mock Angel Food Cake. This is a delectable blend that I'd rather eat than smell like, as it's way too sweet on me. However, I can see how it would be a big hit among those who like their fragrances foody.

I was worried when I first smelt this in the bottle, because it smelt really, really sour. When I put it on this sourness faded and I got condensed milk. Occassionally in the back ground I got a waft of spearmint, but predominantly I got condensed milk. This didn't change much on me I have to say, although the scent of condensed milk did change slightly to the scent of rice pudding. In all it was a very creamy scent, in fact it was almost too sweet for me (something I didn't think was possible), I can see it be a brilliant, comforting time of the month oil. When all other scent had faded I get a faint waft of coconut, but it never really makes an impact.

Ugh! In the bottle and on my skin, Milk Moon was sour, curdled milk. I waited a couple of minutes for the scent to shift but it stayed exactly the same and I had to wash it off.

Bye-bye Milk Moon.

At first Milk Moon smells slightly astringent to me - and after reading some of the reviews I wonder if it isn't the minty-ness others are referring to? It softens over time, but there is still an odd background note to it - I Know! Milk Moon reminds me of dinner at our local Indian restaurant, more specifically dessert - the balls made out of garbanzo bean flour and swimming in sweetened evaporated milk....:P

Also I am getting wiffs of nuts. Buttery nuts. Then as it warms and softens it gets milky and creamy - all those scents are somehow linked in my olfactory brain.

I really love the overall warmth and comfort of Milk Moon - because comforting is what it is! I also think it smells like a baby's head - sweet and innocent.

Initial Impression:

Slightly tangy/sour smell of warm milk.

After Wearing It:

Wet this smells a lot like yogurt. Thick, sour and slightly yeasty. Not very pleasant at all. Thankfully this doesn't last. The strong yogurt smell wanes and thins, starting the smell more like true warm milk. It's a very light scent which has almost no throw. It smells like baby formula or breast milk rather than cow's milk. It's very room temp and there's a powderiness about it that starts to morph into what I can only describe as that classic baby scent. A cross between what a baby straight from the bath smells like and what toy manufactures scent dolls with. Pleasant, but blends a little too well with a normal scent scent so that I can only smell the scent if I really concentrate and if I press my nose to the point of application.

Occasionally the sour note comes back which makes Milk Moon smell really "off." It will only last a few minutes at a time and then the light mint note comes by and makes it smell fresher and sweeter. I never smell any honey though, which was disappointing. I was really hoping it'd take a strong stand here.

Overall this scent does a good job conveying the feel of the symbolism of Milk Moon, it captures the kind of awe you feel after seeing a baby of a loved one (or your own) for the first time. It just seems so remarkably perfect, somehow. It's so tiny and vulnerable, but such a powerful statement about the cycle of life.

Final Thoughts:

Good scent overall though it has its share of its unpleasant moments. Even at its best though it's not really for me. Way too light and completely unobtrusive. It's a scent you can forget you ever put on, which is very contrary to why I love to wear fragrances. Will probably pass this one on.

From the moment I read the description of Milk Moon, I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. I love creamy scents, and this one sounded perfect. Mostly I was hopeful that this would make up for my experience with Chaste Moon (mint overload).

Sadly, Milk Moon had a minty note that I just couldn't deal with. Even a tiny hint of mint is too much for me. People adore this blend, and I wish I could share in that love, but for now, I'll stick with my Snow White.

I loved Chaste Moon so hoped that Milk Moon would also be gorgeous on me. Unfortunately the evil coconut has ruined the scent for me. As usual. I really need to accept the fact that I *cannot* wear coconut in any way, shape, or form. It just smells like plastic on my skin.

This basically did the same thing that Spooky did on me - taunted me with faint whiffs of scents behind the plastic (chocolate/mint in Spooky, creamy honey sweetness in Milk Moon) that would have been lovely but for the damned coconut. This wasn't nearly as bad on me as Spooky was, but still unwearable.

Ah, well. Off to a better home.

YUM. :D :D

This is what I wanted Chaste Moon to smell like.

Creamy, milky, soft, sweet--maybe a touch of coconut, a bit of honey, a dab of vanilla--this is truly lovely.

It reminds me a bit of Burt's Bees Baby Bee lotion, but sweeter and brighter.

Glad I swapped for a bottle of this! :P

ETA: And even though this is a soft scent, it's incredibly long lasting--I could smell it when I went to bed at 11 pm after applying it at 8 am! The Bewitched I had applied at 5 pm was gone, but Milk Moon was still there--just lovely. :D

More imp love from wickedgoddess!

This smells the same from bottle to me, wet and dry. It is sweet, milky and luscious beyond belief. SO GOOD. My mom used to make me these hot milk drinks when I was sick, where she put a little bit of fresh butter and honey into the milk. This smells almost exaclty like that, and has that same comforting deliciousness about it.

I may be hunting for a bigger bottle of this one. :P

I wasn't sure about Milk Moon at first. There's a strange nuttiness at first when I put it on that's almost off-putting. But, it fades out into a soft, honey-sweet creamyness that's wholly comforting. It does remind me of suntan lotion in the same way that Rice Flower & Shea does. Tropical, somehow, but no coconut or pineapple or anything like that. In fact, if you put in that reedy, quasi-bamboo note that Rice Flower & Shea scents have, I think Milk Moon would be darn close in scent.

I received a decant of this from the lovely Cricketshay. :P

In the imp: Creamy and milky. It definitely lives up to its name.

Wet: Huh. I admit I haven't tried many milky blends, but this is an odd sour, milk smell on my skin. I'm a little concerned.

Drydown: It's a very creamy, milky scent. Unfortunately, it still has that sour tone to it that isn't sitting well with me. There is a similarity between this blend and Snow White, and I think that's part of what's making me uncomfortable because Snow White made me physically ill. Yikes!

Final thoughts: I don't get much mintiness from this, if even at all. I didn't really like this blend on me. It doesn't make me sick like Snow White, but I just feel uneasy wearing it. Le sigh.

I was keeping my fingers crossed that I would love this one, as I adore honey/milky scents...

In The Bottle: First whiff I get mostly the spicyness of the lunar oils with a creamy buttery milky scent wrapped around it like a blanket. It's like a milky version of the butterscotch disc candies.

On Wet: More of the same...a bit more of the spicyness of the lunar oils comes out to play...but the background milkycreaminess is still there.

On Drydown: Wow...after about a half an hour this really softens up and fades on me. Fades down to a soft, creamy comforting smell...almost like....*tries to put a finger on it*...um....really creamy yummy rice pudding, with maybe the tiniest drizzle of honey on top and the tiniest smallest sprinkle of spice (it's more like a nutmeg than a cinnamon, if I had to try and name the spice) The scent is still smellable on me, but it's very gentle.

Verdict: Love it!

Edited by LunaDragonGirl

I wanted to love this one, but it just didn't work on me. Normally I like milky/foody/vanillic, such as Dana O'Shee. But Milk Moon is different -- it's an odd blend of coconut, mint and a buttery/vanilla type scent. It doesn't smell particularly "milky" on me...on me it seems to be a fight between the mint and the buttery note. Oh well, up for swap it goes! :P

My experience with Milk Moon mirrored several others in that I breastfed a child not too long ago and am amazed that this is, in fact, the scent of lactation. When I put Milk Moon on, I smell like I did when I was nursing my son and it brings back a flood of memories.

I do get a hint of mintiness from the lunar oils, especially sniffing directly from the bottle, but that doesn't hold up on my skin. If you want a sense of how Milk Moon smells, brush your teeth with a mint toothpaste and then breathe deeply from a box of powdered milk. That concentrated milk scent with just a breath of mint is Milk Moon in a nutshell.

For me, though, it's much more about the memories than the scent itself. I will cherish this bottle for as long as it lasts.

Edited by elphaba

After being surprised by how much I liked Chaste Moon (all the other Lunacies I'd tried - Cold, Wolf, Hunter, Frost - did not agree with me at all), I ordered Milk Moon in the hopes that it would be as nice. Sadly, I was disappointed. I think it's the honey - honey and I have been bitter enemies ever since I first tried O and Blood Kiss as a BPAL newbie - because there's something about it that always makes me feel nauseous.

In the bottle: sour milk

Wet: a combination of milk, butter and sickly-sweet (honey) that made me feel quite ill. I soldiered through it just in case it was going to magically recover (Shub-Niggurath smelled like moldy cardboard for the first hour I tried it, but after that it blossomed into the most delicious thing ever).

Dry-down: a weaker version of my beloved Chaste Moon with a third of the staying power.

I never got any of the minty, fertile yum-yum you guys are talking about (/jealous). I did not try layering it with Flower Moon but I have zero hopes of that working out as Flower Moon went instantly soapy on me, as about 98% of BPAL florals do.

Edited by roesmoker

Oooohh this is lovely.

initial sniff.

pure creamy vanillary milky loveliness.

like the bit in Chaste Moon, on it's own without the red fruits and pink flowers.

and there's mint.

do they have Murray Mints over there? creamy hard mints. there's a whiff of them.

it's buttery, creamy, butterskotchy, fudgey, caramel, and ... coconut. and sometimes we get on, sometimes we don't. this time we do.

after a while....popcorn? yup. toffee popcorn. no wonder Mr Galena likes it.

I love this. I'm so glad I bought 2 bottles.

Wow, FINALLY!! After all the lunacy oils I have tried, one finally likes me :P . Milk Moon is just divine in the bottle, I get all the milky, creamy, condensed milk notes others have mentioned. On my skin, it's milky backed up by a very soft mintiness and I can see how that combination of notes might smell a little like yogurt to some. I love it. After about 10 minutes, the old lunar oils that usually hate me show up, they do smell a little metallic but they never overwhelm and they don't go "off" the way they usually do on me. I think Beth really meant it when she said they were "softened" in this blend. After about half an hour, even the lunar oils are gone and I am left with pure tonka bean. There is virtually no throw to this scent and I have to glue my nose to my wrist to smell it at this point but it is incredibly soothing and comforting. I definitely get the mother and child vibe. If I end up keeping this scent I will most likely use it for sleeping. I wish we had a lullaby icon. :D

First Impression: Sweetened, condensed milk simmering on the stove.

Dries down to: A lighter version of the same.

Additional Comments: This is a very comforting scent to me. It reminds me of homemade dulce de leche - the kind you make by boiling a can of sweetened, condensed milk. I'm surprised by how much I like this one since honey and I don't normally get along, but I can't really tell it's there other than by the sweetness. I don't pick up the mint or coconut that a lot of people mentioned, but maybe they're what's tempering the honey for me. I wouldn't wear this as a fragrance but will definitely use it as a comfort scent.

Lasted: 4-5 hours

Rating: 4 out of 5

This is my first BPAL review - heck, this is my first BPAL scent! Purchased off eBay, just came today.

In the bottle: BUTTERSCOTCH. Boy, howdy. After reading the other reviews I can see what people mean when they say they smell mint and sourness (to me it's more like creme fraiche than sour milk) but my first thought is that it smells like spicy butterscotch, with a little bit of some kind of light, desserty spice.

Wet: Not so much butterscotch as milk & honey, with some kind of fresh spring flower wafting through. It's just a hint of a gardeny smell, like having tea and biscuits in the garden. However, this also reminds me of coconut suntan oil, but more sophisticated and less sweaty. It leaves a sweet taste in the back of my mouth, like I just finished a butterscotch lifesaver. The milk & honey is all I smell unless I sniff my arm directly.

Fortunately, food scents really like me.

On drydown: I only put a bit of this on at first, because I can have some pretty severe fragrance allergies. (Being allergic to a perfume you're wearing? Pretty miserable.) It faded really quickly, no florals, the buttercream scent mellowed, and I got a faint astrigency that I think must have been the mint. But it was gone so quickly that I reapplied, a bit heavier. Now it's a soft milk & honey smell, and I'm definitely getting the mint and I still think I smell spring flowers. Maybe lilac?

Edited by shayelea

First sniff from the bottle- Minty and milky, a bit like Chaste Moon but not as sweet.

After 20 minutes- At first this smells like a vanilla mint protein shakes like they serve at gyms. It's a bit chalky and has yogurty smell. After a few minutes it goes down hill. Now I know I have a bad history with milk blends. My skin usually eats them and then I smell nothing. But this smells like...baby formula. :P

Summery- I had such high hopes for Milk Moon after reading the reviews where some people got creamy vanilla ice cream out of it. On me it is not sweet at all, it's more sour and curdled. This one is going up on Ebay asap.

Milk Moon smells to me like the stage in bread-making where I add warm milk and yeast to the flour. The lunar oils shimmer a bit at the edges of Milk Moon, casting a slightly floral glow around it. It's so soft and comforting, I love it.