Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Lilithlefay

Milk Moon 2005

... Milk Moon is Flower Moon's warmer, gentler cousin; it is a scent that emulates the closeness of child and mother. In it, cream and warm honey soften our traditional blend of lunar oils.

Because I was interested in the various lunacy blends, I tracked down a decant of this. I didn't think I'd like it, but I was interested in trying it.

In the imp this smelled like straight up Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk. Second sniff, same smell. It smelled very nice, but made me a bit afraid to put it on my skin. But I've learned my lesson about sniffing without testing.

On my skin, there was an initial waft of condensed milk, and then the smell sharpened a bit. I braced myself for the sour milk smell that other people complained about, but it didn't really come. The sharpness settled into the kiss of mint that I get from all the lunacy blends I've smelled. As it dried, it turned a bit coconutty, but not like suntan oil, understated and well suited to the overall creaminess of the fragrance. It's creamy, but not sickeningly sweet or overly rich. There's a clean undertone that keeps it from being overwhelming. It's comforting.

The longer I wear it, the more it makes me think of the way a baby's neck smells. Not like baby powder, but sweet, clean, and faintly milky. This is the perfect scent for when you need to be comforted and soothed.

Milk Moon is love. :P

This is beautiful - a soft milk and honey scent. It is very light, but still creamy and sweet. This doesn't have a lot of staying power - it only lasted a couple of hours on me, but it was so sweet and lovely that I don't mind having to slather to keep the scent. Very glad that I tracked down a big bottle of this.

BOTTLE SNIFF: Sour milk.

WET ON SKIN: Very similar to bottle smell, but more cloying.

DRYDOWN: Having the same negative reaction as a few other reviewers -- a spoiled milk, soiled diaper, stale sweat, sour yogurt smell. Not waiting to see how it develops; washed it off after about 1/2 hour (it didn't change).

FINAL THOUGHTS: Too bad. I enjoy other milky scents: Chaste Moon, Sudha Segara, and White Rabbit work well on me. You never know, which I guess is sort of the fun part about these oils.

I was trying to think of what this reminded me of, but after reading the description of Milk Moon, it suddenly hit me. I smell like Werther's Originals - all buttery, creamy and candy scented. :P Mmm. I'm craving sweets now

I was so looking forward to this one, another gift from KittyFlop, but alas, it did not smell good on me and worse I think bothered my allergies and caused a panic attack. :P

It smelled so lovely in the bottle, nice sweet milk flavor, but on it went sour and then I started feeling congested. Very odd and not good. I didn't even make it 10 minutes with this on.

This is by far my favorite milk scent. I received a precious imp of her from Gin (thank you again!).

Milk Moon is creamy and sweet, with an inital fresh breeze in the background, the lightest green mint. On the drydown I faintly smell coconut and white chocolate...so delicious. This dosn't sour on my skin like Dragon's Milk did. Just soft, delicately sweet, nurishing, comforting.

The perfect scent to wear around the baby and sleepy time...

So sad it's an LE!

Edited by lookingglass

In bottle: Baby formula, made from powder and too little water put in.

Dry: Baby formula, made from powder and too little water put in.

The first Lunacy oil I have disliked.

Now Milk Moon is nice in the bottle. I think it smells really sweet and it reminds me of murray mints, its a really creamy minty smell to me. On my skin though it is just too sweet and sickly and it really does last all day so again its just not me!!

Milk Moon

In the Bottle: Very gourmand. It smells very much like evaporated milk, perhaps a touch sweeter. The honey is barely detectable.

Wet: It still smells like evaporated milk, but the honey starts to develop and warms the milk.

Dry: A faint menthol note starts to appear but doesn't overpower the milk and honey. Milk Moon makes a journey from warm milk to a coolish milk after the addition of the mint.

Being a lover of sweet, milky scents, Milk Moon has become one of my favorites. I love the way the scent story develops from the bottle to it's final dry down. :P

Oof. I almost couldn't bring myself to try this one on. In the bottle, it smells very sour milk to me. I braved the curdled smell though, and I'm glad I did. Once it dried down, it bloomed into a lovely soft floral, with just a hint of spice and cream underneath. It reminded me of lilies, but softer, like I had a bunch of Stargazer Lilies in a vase last week, and the scent has lingered. I'll need to test this one again to see if I like it well enough to endure the sour milk drydown though.

ETA: So I tried it again. This time, the sour milk smell was much reduced, and I got a lovely soft floral. My son, who is two, has developed an interest in Mommy's new sniffy hobby, so he asked to smell my wrist. I held it out, he sniffed, and literally recoiled. He said: "Ewww! Mommy have owie?" I have no idea what he meant by that, but I'm taking it as a negative review. Off to swaps it goes!

Edited by Wench457

Milk Moon smells almost exactly like White Rabbit to me (but without the ginger).

This is Milky, fresh, and lemony...again almost exactly like White Rabbit.

Overall, I like this one, but I don't love it. I much prefer White Rabbit over Milk Moon. :P

I really thought I would love this one, based on its description as well as reviews. I *almost* love it--there's this one note (I don't know what it is) that turns my stomach and makes me feel queasy, which is a shame, because I love the milkiness of it. I just wish I could get it without the queasiness. After trying Flower Moon, I discovered the same note that makes me feel queasy, so I'm thinking it may be the "lunacy blend" that I don't agree with. It's a shame (for me) though, because this smells delicious.

Where did this great little imp come from? Oh yeah, lushlovely. Thanks!

In the imp this smells like sweetened condensed milk. On my skin it smells exactly the same while wet. As this dries, this gets a little powdery, but has a bit of a caramel smell. My grandma would take a can of condensed milk and let it heat up in a pan of water until it turned into caramel. This smells just like it. This is delicious!

Dry this is a bit creamy and sweet. I took lysithea’s suggestion of layering this with Miskatonic U. They smell wonderful together. I just might need to find a bottle.

I bought a bottle from Ebay, because the description looked like just what I wanted.

Well, it is what I wanted, but my skin just turned it bad. so, sooooo bad.

In the bottle I got a minty/buttery toasted coconut scent. It was very intriging.

On my skin, it was interesting, I could smell a lot of toasted buttery coconut.

BUT, then, it turned to sour toasted milk. blech!

This just was heartbreaking for me. Why, oh why, do you hate me Milk Moon?

I could barely smell this at first, but what I could smell was sweetened milk. Then I put it on. Almonds. No coconut, no milk, no cream or honey, just almonds. Very strong-smelling almonds, too. It's still a tiny bit sweet, but the almond scent is way too overpowering, and I didn't put very much on (having learned that the ones I barely smell in the imp tend to get amped up on my skin). I've washed twice and can still smell it, and it's driving me crazy. I wanted so much to love this one!

In the Bottle: Honey and milk

On the Skin: Honey, milk and mint. As it dries, the honey comes out on me, but I'm not much a fan for honey. The cream stays very true. It does remind me a lot of White Rabbit! It's a sweet, warm, soft scent, pretty but I'm not sure that it's me. The lunar oils add a bit of smoothness and bring to mind the color light, pale mint green.

Overall Impression: Milk Moon is nicely done but it's not me. I'm more a woods, leather and incense kinda gal. While this is soft and comforting, it's not something that I'd ever wear on a regular basis, or reach for much at all. So far it's sat in the dark for months. So that says something. For milk scents, I think that the spicy carnation of Alice makes the milk a lot more interesting. Ah well, I'm glad that I got to try it.

A very yummy scent. In the imp I have, it smells quite like buttered popcorn Jelly Bellies. On the skin, the honey and milk are just wonderful. It's definately got a very creamy scent, but not cloying or overpowering. What I love is that this one lasts on my skin for several hours before I need a reapplication. I'm in love. :P

Out of the decant I received, the first thing I smell is a candy, I think they are called butter mints --- chewy caramels with a slight mint flavour. I don't get a strong mint from this but it does have a hint of greenness over the buttery caramel scent. Once I put it on, it morphs through a whole series of sweet milky scents. If you cook milk down for a long time, its natural sugars do what sugar usually does, which is to caramelize. So what I smell is a series of Indian desserts --- gulab jamun, fudge, etc. Lovely. I also sometimes get a waft of , well, breast milk. It is a pleasant scent, sweet amd milky.

In the bottle: creamy, buttery and sweet with just a hint of mint. Almost smells like buttercream frosting flavored with mint extract.

Wet: pretty much the same as in the bottle, the honey smells a bit more like honey instead of just sweet.

Drydown: After a bit this starts to smell like Suave Milk & Honey conditioner on me, only 20 times better, with a bit of mint still. Not bad, I think I might have liked it, but there is something uriney smelling in the back ground on my skin. It's not strong enought that I'm walking around smelling like I've been peed on, but it's just noticable enough to bother me. Too bad, it really is a lovely warm comforting scent. In fact I've tested it three times hoping it will go away, but it doesn't. I think it's time Milk Moon and I part ways. I know some one out there can love her far better than I do.

I love this scent! Of all the BPAL oils I've tried so far, this is my favorite. It is warm, comforting, and nourishing, sweet without being cloying or sickening as some of Beth's sweet oils seem to me. Definitely foody but also a little bit sharp, perhaps the lunar oils. I myself don't smell the peppermint that others have mentioned, although I wouldn't be shocked if this contains a spice of some sort, such as cinnamon or cardamom. I hadn't noticed any coconut, until I read others' reviews: yes, it is there, but it doesn't obtrude.

On me, this starts with strong throw for about half an hour, reduces to medium throw for the next two hours, and then fades to light throw. However, if I get my wrists anywhere near my face, I can still spell this after almost 24 hours (haven't taken my morning shower yet).

Altogether lovely, a truly wonderful scent.

I bought Milk Moon as a gift for for a friend with a new baby.

She uses a dab on her daughter's blankies to help her sleep.

This is a gorgeous, creamy, milky, sweet blend!

Personally I can't see wearing this on a routine basis, but for the baby, it's PERFECT.

WOW.... the lab never ceases to amaze me!