Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
viciousviolet

Lilith

Mother of Demons, Vengeful Fury, Darkest Seductress, Queen of the Djinn, Goddess of the Gate. Red wine, myrrh, black musk, and attar of rose.

In the imp I can smell the wine, and it seems like it will be a very sweet scent. Once on my skin it gets very *not* good on me. It's weird because the notes are all there, with myrrh and rose attar at the front. Sadly, the combo goes bad on my skin. Like outdated eau de cologne and baby wipes. :(

Oooh :eek: sparkling, diabolical grapes bursting with musk and spices. Winner! The attar of rose is warm and slightly powdery, but not the full on powder I usually get from some flower notes. It grounds and warms everything well. This is really, really nice!

In the vial, Lilith smells like sticky, fermented grapes. It must be the wine, it doesn't smell boozy at all though in fact it reminds me of the candied raisins from Kalustyan's, or cola. Neat.

On me, it morphs into something my boyfriend describes as cotton candy. I know many of you will probably disagree with me, but it reminds me of a darker, sexier version of Dorian for some reason. It has the same kind of sweetness to it on my skin. I absolutely looooooooove it, I will be getting a 5 mL. I could see this perhaps being my signature scent.

I did not expect to like this so much because of the rose (I hate rose!) but I could hardly smell it. I didn't smell it in the vial and I didn't smell it on my skin. I don't know what attar of rose is, but they either put very little of it in there, or it's some part of the rose that doesn't smell like rose o_O

- first review, yayyy! -

So, very strange... In the vial Lilith smelled to me EXACTLY like this candle/antique/general knick-knack shop I used to live down the street from. Not entirely sure why, but I'm going to blame it on the rotten-grape scent the wine is giving off. (Though what that has to do with a candle shop, I've no idea. ? )

Wet, it smelled more like wine with something spicy backing it up, and as it dried the musk came out a little more.

Dry, Lilith kind of morphed alot on me in the first hour and a half. For awhile it was pure wine - very fruity and sweet, but twenty minutes later it went very very dark and spicy - sweetness almost totally gone, and THEN wine came back but brought something almost... incense-y? Eventually (after about 2 hours) everything seemed to mellow out and it morphed into a very balanced, very pleasant, not-too-sweet-not-too-spicy, winey scent. For me the myrrh was IMPOSSIBLE to sniff out until Lilith finally mellowed.

It's a bit light on me (in a good way), like a a very rich, warm whisper. I'm thinking it will be very nice for when I'm going for the sexy & elegant vibe, but need said vibe to be very understated in-order to remain appropriate. There is something very formal and sophisticated - intelligent even - about this scent. I'm adding this onto the big-bottle list, and I think it's going to become high-priority.

Also - I got nothing even remotely cotton-candy, grape-soda, or cough-syrup-esque. Lilith never turned THAT sweet on me. Nor can I pick out the attar of rose, not even a little bit. It's all wine, musk, spice, and then subtle myrrh for me.

Special to me... this is my daughters name. I got the bottle to hold on to her for when shes older (shes 1 now, who knows what the oil will smell like then) I pretty much HAVE to like it.

But it comes so eaaaasy!

In the bottle: Boozy to me, strong, heady... thought I would get drunk sniffing this.

Wet: Still boozy but a delicious boozy.

drydown: what a morpher, this turns sweet! not at all what I would expect from the notes. A sweet luxurious blend. I really love the wine scents from bpal. I think its the rose and wine I pick up most, stunningly beautiful!

Just like my daughter Lilith, strong and evil... but sweet in the end :wub2:

Imp: Wine and myrrh. There's actually a touch of black pepper here.

Wet: The wine amps up and I get a touch of the rose. This reminds me a lot of Blood Rose from Rapaccini's Garden but not as lush.

Dry: Dark, sweet wine with rose. I can smell a faint hint of the myrrh and it's all layered over a deep, sultry musk. This is gorgeous. Very femme fatale and sultry. I see this often recommended as a fancy dress recommendation and I totally get why. The wine adds the perfect bit of interest to an otherwise sort of classic but borderline boring scent.

Throw: Good.

Overall: I think I need to start attending more fancy dress parties because I have found the perfect scent.

This is so, so gorgeous on my skin.

Sniffing the bottle, it smells like bitter patchouli and scared me at first.

But, wow, once it hits my skin, it's this gorgeous sweet (but not too sweet) wine scent with light rose wafting in and out. :thud:

Lilith was the only imp I bought that I didn't even glance at the scent description. I love the mythology about her, and really liked the idea of smelling like a succubus queen, haha.

So when I popped open the imp, I was really excited. Even though I'd just had a rather traumatizing experience with rose *coughcoughPersephone* I remained optimistic. Coming from the imp was the gorgeous smell of a juicy rose tempered with the smell of myrrh and musk.

Then I put it on. When it was wet it kept most of the notes listed above, but on drydown, it turned to incense on me. The cheap kind I used to buy in bulk at flea markets. The rose is still there, but it's buried under a ton of incense. Which, honestly, isn't too bad. I like the smell of incense, and the hint of rose keeps it from being total overkill.

So overall, I like it. It definitely seems like something a storm demon/lamia/succubus would smell like. It's strong and giving me a bit of a headache, but still nice!

In the imp, I get a really strong red wine note, with the rose. This should be interesting. On my skin, I'm getting the red wine, but that mellows out to a sinister mix with the rose and the black musk. This'll stay, but I don't think I'll need anything more than the imp.

I get a strong red wine and myrrh scent from this both in the vial and wet on my skin, with the black musk becoming more prominent as it dries, but not overpowering the wine and myrrh. I don't get much rose from it. I love the scent, so my only complaint so to speak, is that it doesn't last very long so I'll likely need a bottle of this to keep up with how much I am going to want to wear it.

I was worried about the red wine and black musk scent here, but I really like Lilith! Of course, the rose amps; it always does. But it's a sibilant kind of rose mixed with the other notes. This is a very serious blend, though, so I can only wear it on serious days. Nothing girly about this!

In the imp: Cherry cough syrup and amaretto...or some other syrupy sweet alcohol. Dunno about this one.

Wet: More alcoholic syrup and sugar cane. Very cherry. Dark cherry.

Dry: Finally get the rose and black musk. Slightly powdery, very dark red smelling. Not really alcoholic anymore and no more cough syrup on me!!

Overall: I might have to try this one again, but generally, I liked it on the drydown. Very heavy dark and sweet. Did not like it in the imp at all, but it morphs into something I might wear.

In the vial - Rich, dark wine and berries with the soporific sweetness of rose.

Wet on the skin - Myrrh and dark roses. This scent has a definite sharp edge to it. Within a few seconds, though, it darkens. It's like wine and incense and fits perfectly with the concept of the scent.

Next stages - This is a very evocative perfume. It smells like seduction, murder and black magic, and a poisoned chalice of deep red wine sitting on a dark altar for some unholy communion ;)

Dry down - Myrrh and rose attar is a wonderful combination. Sweet, resinous, sophisticated and a touch dangerous.

In Conclusion - There are very few rose blends that I like, but I think this one is going to grow on me. I shall save it for very late nights. ;)

Try Lilith if you like - Lady Macbeth, Horreur Sympathique

In the vial this is a dark and juicy floral scent; it really is a deep and mysterious scent. On my skin, it changes to a slightly lighter scent, though it is only light by comparison to the scent coming from the vial - it is a juicy, musky rose coming from a soft background of dark booziness with just a hint of myrrh. After a few hours it has become a lovely, dark floral musk that retains the mystery of the scent.

:::LILITH:::

When the Lab's notes for Lilith wer read, the expectation was that this was going to smell alot like Obsidian Widow...

Red Wine, Myrrh and Attar of Rose vs. Pinot Noir, Attar of Rose and Myrrh?

Well, the sniff off was a humbling lesson in ratios.

While Obsidian Widow is androidal, Lilith is organic. Obsidian Widow is high-tech and Lilith is primordial...

Lilith stands alone.

Lilith is an allure. An attraction. Lilith is a siren song that calls to men... Summoning them from their fictitious safety in the halo of light that surrounds their hearth fires, and out into the lush, starlit, dangerously alive garden of uncounted delights.

Lilith is untameable wildness.

Lilith is a holy grail of sorts; a chalice that forever quenches thirst.

Lilith is self-sufficience that will rub you raw and laugh while doing so.

Lilith is heartache... But a dream. Lilith a fleeting memory, a wisp of smoke...

Lilith doesn't eat forbidden fruit, Lilith IS Forbidden Fruit.

Delish for Her.

5/5!

I'm coming to realize that I must amp wine notes and on me they turn into very fragrant concord grapes. So this is a very fruity scent to me. No other notes come out...no rose, no myrrh or musk. I like the smell i just don't know if it's good as a perfume. I imagine i might seek this out to wear once in a while though.

The throw is not very strong. This is a scent really close to you. And it doesn't last very long. I have reapplied at least 4 times throughout the workday.

I love Lilith so much. On me this is all red wine, red fruits and incense. I'm not usually one for fruits, but in this case they totally work. This is deep and rich, it feels like there's a plush-ness to this scent, like falling onto a bed with a red velvet comforter on it in a room where the walls are dark red, there's an open bottle of red wine on the table, the lights are low, and the best incense you've ever smelled wafts through the air. Lilith is decadant, intense, rich, powerful and sexy.

Oh, and I'm normally sensitive to rose in a blend, but oddly enough I do not detect it here at all.

Edited by strahlend

Strange.. maybe because the version I got was aged..? It smells of roses and lotus with slight myrrh. The red wine is not really all that strong.

ETA: received a full imp and it's exactly in the order the lab described! I really like it!

Edited by SophieCedar

Preconceptions: Dark, sexy, but probably will fail due to rose.

Wet: Super fruity, wine note!

Drydown: Sultry myrrh takes the reins, with swirls of deep muskiness. Lilith certainly isn't for the faint of heart. The wine note lingers in the background.

Dry:Sharp, green roses take over everything. I was really hoping I would finally escape, but alas.

Overall: Dratted roses ruin everything.

In the bottle: Smoky darkness with wine. Yummm.

On my skin: At first, I get a smoky darkness/ dry smokiness smell ( the musk and myrrh? ) along with the red wine. Mmm, wine. I just love red wine in BPAL scents. I have no idea where the smokiness comes from, though. Are we sure that there is no tobacco smell in this? Not that I'm complaining. ;)

Cooldown: After it settles down and starts fading away, the rose makes a comeback at some point, although the dry smoke is always in the foreground. Then the rose dies away again and gives place to a faded red wine.

Nice. It makes me think of fire and brimstone (drinking some wine in the gates of Hell? What an alluring visual) ; quite fitting of Lilith, the mother of demons.

This is one that I was really excited about when I got it as a frimp. I love red wine scents and to mix it with myrrh and black musk seemed like it would be fantastic. Unfortunately I forgot about the attar of rose part.

In the imp: a lovely red juicy wine with a hint of something darker underneath.

On the skin: as above, but now there is something kind of sinister under the wine, my nose just waiting to be hit with something not quite pleasant.

A few minutes later: Yup. The attar of rose ruined it. A perfectly lovely and dark wine scent gone completely off because of that darn rose. Blech.

It wasn't a wash it off immediately sort of reaction, more of an "oy, darn rose" one. I'm not sure how this one will age, but I hope that the attar mellows out a bit or that the other scents just strengthen more to overpower it.

In the Bottle – Very strong and dark with a bite. I can taste it on the tip of my tongue. Smells like roses soaked in wine.

Wet – It smells like a commercial perfume with wine. This might smell really sexy on someone else, but it just makes me smell like roses and booze. My friend smelled my wrist and says she can’t smell the wine (which is the strongest smell for me), but she can smell the myrrh and loves it. I guess it smells different to different people.

Dry – The wine smell is mostly gone, now I’m just getting the smell of incense and rose. Nice, but not my thing. I will admit this perfume lasts a really long time though, at least on me.

Overall – I don’t really enjoy the smell of wine, and roses aren’t exactly my favorite floral, so this scent didn’t work well for me. It was also really strong, and I really prefer lighter perfumes. My friend however, who loves musky incense, really enjoyed the smell of this perfume, so I gave it to her to put in her oil burner.

This review is for the Lilith v5 prototype from the Cobwebby events.

This one I get a huge hit of red wine, and roses. Red voluptuousness of roses. Sweet red wine + roses. I think the released version went a little powdery on me because of the musk.