Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
viciousviolet

Lilith

Mother of Demons, Vengeful Fury, Darkest Seductress, Queen of the Djinn, Goddess of the Gate. Red wine, myrrh, black musk, and attar of rose.

Lilith is one of my favoite scents. Strangely, I don't get much rose out of her, but I know it's in there. No, mainly what I get is the scent of Fig Newtons. Fig and molasses. It's foody to my nose, and thick, satisfying, and delicious! (I did a side-by-side comparison to a Fig Newton...take away the pastry bit and they're very close indeed!)

It also shares similarity with Glitter- but glitter is sparkly and pink and girly like a mylar balloon, and Lilith is seductive, languid, and wanton. Like the plate of figgy cookies under the balloon. *lol* Both very, very yummy!

This is very rich and sultry on my skin. It's mostly wine and black musk. I get a whiff of roses just behind that, but they are very pale, almost delicate. Soft pink roses floating in wine, is the image that comes into my head. This is very much a dinner by candlelight sort of scent. I do like it alot, but I think my imp will be enough. It is too rich to wear all the time, sort of like drinking wine too much. Fans of excessive decadent scents will like this very much.

Initial impression:

Wow! Mulled wine – rich, spicy and refined. This is delicious beyond words!

First on:

Lush red wine (without smelling boozy) and incense in a very rich and luxurious combination. I love it!

Dry:

After about 10 mins, it's a dark and sensual blend that strikes me as perfect for Lilith. The roses are peeking through, but luckily not all that much.

20-30 mins afterapplication, it remains a lush scent of wine and incense, that's unfortunately fading rather quickly. I'll need to reapply if I want it to last, but yum, it's a great scent!

Finally:

This one went above my wildest expectations. Keeper!

In The Vial: Thick red wine and rose petals. Someone's most decadent bath.

On Wet: The wine is heady and the roses are thick. This is not a shy scent. The musk is the barest undercurrent here, as is the myrrh. They're hardly there at all. You catch whiffs of them, tangling up under the roses and wine, if you look for it. If you don't, they're just a background note.

Drydown: This goes down to dry wine and dried rose petals -- someone's gotten out of that decadent bath, let the liquid dry on their skin and smells divine. Dark, thick, heady. Someone compared it to blood red, and I say darker -- blood under moonlight, looking black. Really heady stuff.

Definitely a winner, and trumped Lady MacBeth big time in the wine scents. I think I've found my wine...

Imp: Unflavored cough syrup.

Wet: Ouch. Bad to worse --dried ginseng and deer antlers and all the usual smells you'd find in a Chinese apothecary. And plastic.

Drydown: Freshly pressed Chinese red envelopes. O_o While I'm all for nostalgia, I don't really want to smell like money.

Dry: Chinese red envelopes.

My rating: I'm torn between giving it just a 2/5 or a 1/5. I fear giving it the lowest rating because, well, I don't want to diss money. I'll give it a 2/5 because it fades quickly.

Both in the bottle and on my skin, Lilith smelled of sour red wine. It dried to a musky rose. It was nice, but not impressive.

Dearest Lilith,

I had such high hopes for you. Sadly when I sniffed the bottle I nearly gagged. Not one to be daunted by this I forged onward fearlessly and tested you on my skin.

blech!!

Wet you are like Juicy Fruit gone bad. After settling on my skin you morphed into nasty old lady rose smell. I know you're the first woman and all...but did you have to go there?

I'm very sorry to say this, but I dont think we can continue this budding relationship. Off to the swap pile with you in the hopes you'll find someone to be kinder to than I.

At least I have Kali to console me...

Lilith

Bottle--Smoke. And something sweet.

Wet--The musk and the rose. Nice, but I want more wine scent. Sometimes the Lab's wine note works on me,and sometimes it is grape bubble gum.

Drydown--It goes way too rosy and then disappears too fast. Hrm. Disappointing all around.

I hoped this would be a favourite, because Lilith is my patron goddess.

In the imp: very fruity and immensely sweet.

Wet on skin: so gorgeous that, after dotting a tiny amount on to try, I slathered it very liberally. I smelled honeyed fruit and wine. I didn't smell roses at all, which was a surprise.

After slathering and thinking how much I loved it, my son asked "Did you put on perfume?" I said "Yes, just like I have been for every day for the last three weeks. Do you like it?"

Fatal question. He said that it smelled like oranges, to which I responded "I smell something citrusy too". He then said "You know that smell when oranges are rotting?" That's the last time I ever ask my son if he likes my BPAL. :P

Drydown- fades a lot quicker than I'd like, down to a powdery/fruity scent that is just about gone four hours later despite the huge amount I applied.

I'd give it about a 3.5/5 total. I'll keep the imp, and probably will buy another when it's gone, but won't be buying a 5ml.

Edited by lilirose

Exotic. Light. Fruit, a really nice fruit! Can’t identify it - what is that fruit? It’s very complex. Nice, I like this!

In the bottle I mostly smell the red wine, but on my skin the rose comes out strongly with a hint of musk. It's a gorgeous, deep and intense scent.

I've already ordered my 5ml bottle!

I was worried about this scent because I don't like wine and roses don't usually like me. I finally tried my imp and am pleasantly suprised that Lilith seems to work for me! :P

In imp: something warm and sweet but not powdery sweet.

Wet on me: wine and incense, with maybe a hint of rose. Not icky, cheap, 4 Roses-in-an-alley wine, but dark, expensive, dinner-in-a-5-star-restaurant wine. Nice. Usually rose gets totally nuts on my skin and I end up sneezing and scrubbing it off, but this stays quiet and subtle.

Drydown: the wine fades somewhat and the incense notes, musk and myrrh? return. The rose is still quietly in the background.

Throw: medium. I can smell it on my hand as I type, but not continuously or really strongly.

Staying power: only a few hours on skin. In scent locket still going strong at end of day, but the wine and rose notes fade. The longest lasting effect is a warm, incensey, slightly sweet scent.

Not at all what I expected, but quite nice. Also, my partner likes it. Always a good thing. :D I will probably keep an imp on hand.

Very sweet in the imp, more foody on the skin. Definite wine action. Not very strong, and fades quickly. Swap pile.

Edited by purplemoonshoes

Smells like wine cooler in the bottle. Very heady when first applied, but not entirely fortunate in it's blend of scents. Smells a lot like a drunken whore trying to cover the smell of a long night of sex and drinking under inadequate cover of rose attar. Whoa!

Wine, wine, wine...Lilith definitely hangs out with Wanda. In Madrid. Lilith's spicier than Wanda and doesn't wear a leather jacket, though. Madrid still wins in the wine-note category, but this imp is worth hanging on to.

In the imp: Wine and roses. Yup.

Wet: Wet, Lilith is all boozy roses. She is thick and heady and RED. Getting a bit of sweetness from the myrrh, but luckily, it and the black musk are behaving themselves.

Dry: Dry, the black musk comes out a bit, adding a touch of powdery sweetness, making Lilith a powdery, winey rose. She's not offensive, but Beth makes tons of rose blends that I like a lot more.

First sniff: LIQUOR! It was screaming BOOZE! at me out of the imp.

Wet phase: Fading alcohol smell into grapey-ness. Very grapey, in a much more pleasant way. And what's this -- a hint of rose, hiding in the background?

Drying: Woo, what throw! I can smell the grapey-ness from feet away. And now, it's more... grosey. Grapey and rosey. It's calmed down a lot now ... it's a lot softer, almost powdery, as the rose asserts itself.

I may have to try this one again. I kinda like the grape/powder/rose that I'm getting, but I'm not sure if I like it enough to keep it and wear it.

Bleargh.

I liked the promising wine-iness from the imp and immediately on my skin. Bright, but very rich at the same time.

...then it turned into Wicked Lite. It might be due to the rose/myrrh combo, but I've discovered that rose does not like me in general... so now it's very soapy rose with grape juice.

*sighs* Such promise. Throw was good (or bad, considering what I was smelling), and it was nigh on impossible to wash off without a good, long, painfully scrubby shower.

I'm reviewing this scent a second time, having first reviewed it around 2.5 years ago.

Lilith was one of the first BPAL scents I ever tried, and I remember being disappointed in it at the time, although the description of it had sounded really good to me, enough that I made it part of my very first order and then picked one up from a sales post in the forum before my order had even arrived.

But that was before I knew that rose amps up tremendously on my skin, that black musk turns to warm sweet powder, and that BPAL's wine note goes very fruity on me and smells more like grapes. And the odd thing is -- now, knowing all that, and after trying over 400 scents, Lilith's description still sounds good to me! So when a friend listed it in a recent swap post, I decided to try it again and see if it smelled different to me after two and a half years of BPAL experimentation.

And it definitely does, though another factor may be age -- this imp has a somewhat yellowed label and looks like it's been making the rounds for a while, which is a good thing as far as I'm concerned. I've found that other rose scents get much nicer and much less likely to amp terribly on my skin once they've aged for a while.

The dominant note here is still a sort of rose/fruit hybrid, giving it a heady sweetness, and the myrrh is very much in the background, but on the whole it seems warmer, richer and more complex than I remembered. Also, I no longer fear fruit scents the way I did then, since I've found they can actually work really well on me. On the whole, I definitely like it more, though perhaps not as much as I initially thought I would way back when. But I think I'll be hanging onto this imp and wearing it at least from time to time.

New Grade: B

Hello My Name Is...THROW!

imp: strong, sweet wine with a cough syrup tang at the end

wet: THROWWWW!

drying: the wine settles down and the rose comes up a bit. A leetle bit powdery, I think - is that the black musk or the myrrh, I wonder?

After about 15 minutes the wine starts to sour on me (at least I think it is the wine - it could be the myrrh?) I'm not a huge fan of grapey/wine scents in general, so it's okay. May retest down the road as I think this is a neat combination with the rose.

in the imp: like cheap spiced wine. not unpleasant, but definitely...cheap.

wet on skin: the wine comes out stronger. it reminds me of high school and drinking boone's farm strawberry wine. or grape Mad Dog 20-20.

dry down: i feel like i could get a hangover just by smelling this too much. a boozy note that it overpowering all else, with the barest hints of spice and a single floral underneith. not my thing.

in all: it got more unpleasant as time went on. i feel sad about that, but sometimes that's just how it is. :P

Edited by VioletChaos

Lilith……this has the same myrrh note as Penitence and Omen, and lots of it. It’s too sweet for me and comes off powdery on my skin. I can’t even smell the other notes, even after giving it time to develop on my skin a little bit. Not for me!

(later) Hmm, I looked up the other notes in this. I like black musk, red wine works sometimes, and I’ve been more open to rose lately. So after I read those, I decided not to wash Lilith off. And I keep sniffing my wrist where I tested it. I like it more now, and it might be growing on me. I think the rose is coming out, just a little bit. So, long story short, I might like this enough to keep the imp.

(over an hour later….) Okay, the black musk finally overcame the myrrh. It’s still somewhat powdery, but I do actually like this. I guess I’ll keep the imp after all!

Imp: Uh, fake grape-flavor lollipop. You know the kind--always super sticky and always more messy than it should be. But you eat it anyway.

On: *chokes* Okay, an odd combination of grape soda and a weird wine scent.'

Drydown: I have to say that this one rolled quickly downhill on me--and at the end, it was a weird grape children's tylenol tablet smell, faintly metallic and medicinal and having nothing at all to do with a real grape. I really wish that I could get a little of some of the notes described by other reviewers to join the party.

Ordered this because I really wanted it to work (both because of the name and the description), but had some concerns. Grabbed it out of the "to try" pile this morning without looking to see what was in it.

In the imp: Cough syrup, plus something I couldn't put my finger on.

Wet: Ah! This must have red wine in it *checks description* Yep. There's no mistaking that grape Bubble Yum scent I get from the Lab's red wine note. (and that would be why I was concerned when I ordered it) *crosses fingers it doesn't last*

Dry: Still grape Bubble Yum. *sigh* Okay, so after about 4-5 hours the grape has faded, become more wine like, darker and softer. Hint of rose starting to peek out from time to time, and a roundness I think's from the myrrh.

Overall, I like where it ends up, but the 4-5 hrs waiting to get to that point, with a stronger throw than I normally like anyway... not going to be one of my faves.

This is red wine and myrrh, the dark and biting kind of myrrh. There are rose petals for a period, then the scent fades into the darkness of black musk. A lovely, beautiful scent rendition of Lilith.