Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
viciousviolet

Lilith

Mother of Demons, Vengeful Fury, Darkest Seductress, Queen of the Djinn, Goddess of the Gate. Red wine, myrrh, black musk, and attar of rose.

This smells so gorgeous in the vial - the myrrh, musk, and wine mingle to form a gorgeous scent with a hint of rose in the background. Once this hit my skin, two things happened. The red wine amped and the rose amped. They do not co-amp well. It was rather unpleasant, but thankfully brief.

The red wine toned way down and the rose continued to be the dominant note. Right now, the scent is rose with a hint of myrrh and musk. The wine is not really detectable. It's still a beautiful scent, but not so much me. It does however paint a really vivid picture of Lilith for me. For whatever reason, it fits.

This smells like the Italian alcoholic drink of Marsala to me- sort of a red wine/port drink, plus a bit of Cheshire cat. Can detect just a hint of rose. Too strong for me.

Got this in a swap 'cause it sounded interesting. The whif from the bottle made me go 'euurgh' as it was rotten blackcurrants in cleaning solution...

When it dries down on me the wine disappears and it becomes a pleasant rose-scent, with no detectable musk or myrrh. I'm afraid it reminds me too much of a brand of bathroom air freshener my nana used. I don't like rose, but I thought I could handle it as one of four notes - apparently not. Maybe my skin amps it..

Edited by DarthArwen

On my it becomes 'whoooaaaa red wine!....and roses.' I have never had the wine notes become so strong on me before so this is new. The roses in this blend also dont become powdery like a lot of the BPAL roses do on me. I can kind of detect the musk, darkening the blend a bit. Perhaps if the wine wasnt so crazy on me I might have kept it.

imp: rose and a little bit of wine.

wet: there is a bit of myrrh warming up but it's still mostly rose (which is starting to go soapy) and wine.

dry: soapy rose with myrrh.

Bottle: Sour wine and rose

Wet: This is actually not bad on me, the wine smells a bit sour, but the musk makes it bearable.

Drydown: Nope, never mind. Attar of rose has amped.

2.5 outta 5

Spicy rose...and the rose is really sharp, so although this is a floral, it's not a girly floral. And there is a bit of the wine in there...it smells like a wonderfully romantic evening.

In the bottle: Rose, acidic red wine, and sweetly smoky myrrh.

Wet: Rose (the sharp, fruity kind from Rose Red) and sour grapey wine. The myrhh is sort of earthy, gritty. A hint of sweet musk.

Dry: That rose is amping! It's very strong and rich and fresh. The wine has opened up a bit, losing some of the sourness, becoming deeper and fruitier. The musk now too adds sexy depth and warmth. While the myrrh is faint, it's a bitter earthiness I don't much like.

Summary: Rich, powerful rose, deep, dry wine (the grapes lose most of their fruity sweetness), earthy, smoking myrrh, and swet sexy musk. It's a fitting scent, but the myrrh and wine notes in this are the not the type I like, and this lacks unity on my skin. Great throw and lasting power.

A sinister rose musk, with sharp red wine drifting somewhere in the background. I have to say, rose and wine are two things that usually turn me off to a scent I'd otherwise like, but this time they've teamed up to form something dark, mysterious, and tasty. It brings up strong vampire imagery for me.

This probably won't end up being my favorite scent, but it seems perfect for those times when I'm feeling a little devious.

Fresh, this was disgusting. It smelled rotten and spoilt. It quickly evolved to a not unpleasant floral, but the memory of the vile first sniff haunts my lizard brain. Sorrow!

In the vial: Fruity sweet, yet tangy and with an interesting little sharpness way back in the throat. Not at all what I expected from the description.

Wet: Sweetness vanishes immediately. Myrrh predominantly, with some strong warmth that must be the musk. There's a bit of rose underneath.

Half an hour: It's settled down some, still predominantly myrrh with musk-rose underneath. A fairly pleasant balance of warm-sweet and bitter, but that fruitiness appears to be gone forever.

Three hours: Musk-myrrh-rose, all blended together. Still very intense, and the musk is sort of making my head ache a bit. I like it, but just not on me. It smells old, somehow.

In the imp: sweet fruity wine, dark and thick

Wet: Sweet incense and swirling roses

Dry: Dark and musky rose. The myrrh and wine have a figlike throw, but upon smelling my wrist, I get musky incense. The rose is almost herbal and dry and not particularly sweet. The black musk is almost feral, but it is lifted nicely by the wine. Still this is dangerously sexy scent and evocative of Lilith. There is a hint of danger. a woman who could turn on you in a heartbeat and laugh about it. The scent is commanding and sinister.

I like this scent very much. As it wears on, the myrrh gentles the impact of the wine and musk and gives it some earthiness.

wet: sweet and slightly musky - and something fruity? one of the first reviewers mentioned a juicy fruit note of doom, and i thought, a-ha! there IS something a little juicy fruity about it! like a warmer, more musky juicy fruit. and i always liked juicy fruit. :P based on what other reviewers are saying, though, i am thinking that is the wine i am picking up.

application & drydown: sweet and spicy, musky, powdery. i agree that this doesn't smell very dark, but it IS beautiful and definitely very sweet!!

it has only been on for a short amount of time, but it is gorgeous thus far. it seems to be getting spicier as it goes along, which is reallllly nice as it is taming that potent sweetness that i sometimes have to be careful of - sensitive tummy these days. that sweetness is still there in the throw, but . . . ohmy, up close this is quite a sexy, heated scent. yum.

based on the notes in this oil i really can't imagine lilith doing anything terrible on me on the long drydown, but i will have to be careful that i wear it only when i think my stomach can take such a heady, sweet scent. it is absolutely lovely, though, and i think that i will definitely be keeping my imp. :D

This is like a light wine scent. It's sweet and berry-ish and the rose removes any threat of a dark, enveloping scent. It stays true to the wet stage but it's too much like a cheap imitation of Obsidian Widow for me to keep it.

In the imp, red wine, and lots of it. Oh...and on second sniff, the myrrh becomes obvious. This is going to be interesting.

Wet, musk and myrrh...this is intense, and given the two given notes, very incense-y. But, I like intense, so this is still VERY promising.

Dry, this is amazing. The myrrh is most obvious, but I can smell all the other notes around it as well, so nothing is overpowering anything else...and it seems to constantly alter, one minute the wine is most obvious, the next the rose...but again, no note is becoming overpowering. Another addition to my top ten, I think.

WOW!When I took a sniff out of the imp,I thought "Here's another perfume that'll never see the light of day again".Normally,I love sweet scents,but lately I find myself wanting to try something more grown up and sexy.I was SO wrong to judge this divine scent by a simple sniff.Lilith is a very beautiful,really amazing and complex scent.It's soft,yet powerful,sweet,yet fierce and seductive.When I put it on,I fell in lovge and now I crave for a big bottle of this.

All of the notes are so well blended that's almost impossible for me to distinguish each of them separately.It has a light fruity undertone to it that's barely noticeable,but keeps the scent from being too heavy on wine and myrrh.It's lightly musky and sinful.Oh,beloved Lilith. :P

Edited by Vespar

In bottle/imp: Thick, fruity red wine, sweet myrrh, and an overtone of rose.

Immediately on skin: This is very thick and sweet. The main thing I smell is the red wine, and the myrrh and rose are blending into that. There’s almost a rich chocolate note but I think it’s just the black musk swirling into the wine.

After a little while: The sweetness calms down in this and as it dries, the rose and musk come out a bit more. This transforms into a musky wine and rose scent with the richness of myrrh blended in. It has a nice complexity, and is very well balanced.

Overall Impressions: This scent is very womanly and rich… the wine gives it a wafting sweetness, while the other notes add a nice complexity and depth to the blend. This scent is dark because of the black musk and myrrh, but the rose adds a little lightness to it. Very pretty and feminine.

In the imp: Sweet, with a bit of chemical -- probably the alcohol in the wine.

Fresh on the skin: Sweet red wine and rosewater. Quite lovely.

20 minutes later: I'm starting to think I amp rose -- this is mostly a nice, light rose on me with a sweet red wine base.

4 hours later: While I was dealing with teaching (in red horns, black and gold wings, and a red shirt ironically proclaiming "angel" across the front -- there's something highly amusing about proctoring a midterm on Halloween), Lilith went from a nice delicate rose with hints of red wine through to a kind of powdery rose that was thankfully a little less baby powdery and more just rose than Jezebel's, to this faint warm fuzzy chocolatey scent with maybe just a tiny bit of rose remaining. I think I need to figure out a good way of applying these to my hair, because my usual method of putting stuff in my hair is to just put it on my hands and smooth it through, but that doesn't seem like the ideal solution for bpal, somehow.

5 hours: Gone.

Verdict: I actually really adored the early stages, and the later ones are quite nice, if not spectacular. It had a similar rose to Jezebel for me, but Lilith's red wine made it more fruity and delicate and less heady and cloying than Jezebel's orange blossom honey. So, definitely a keeper (which makes me really happy -- I've always had an affinity for Lilith), and I want to experiment with ways to make the early gorgeous clear delicate rosewater and red dessert wine stage last longer.

In vial: red wine, sweet/fruity/boozy (like in Christmas pudding!), dark musk, and rose that just sweetens instead of dominating.

Wet on skin: rose and red wine, boozy and exotic. The booze smells stronger than wine, as if there's some brandy in here too. Just a hint of smoke.

Dry on skin: fruity rose with a twist! Perhaps a more adult version of Libra 2007? Much better than I thought it would be! Red wine often goes sour on me, though, so I won't speak too soon. It must be the myrrh which is giving the incense-y feel to this. The booze fades quickly, leaving a very soft and pretty rose - possibly the best BPAL rose scent I've ever tried! Who would have guessed from the description? If you like Bilquis, you should try this.

Years before Lilith Victoria and Lady Lilith there was primordial/basic/original Lilith!!

For such a visually light oil, the scent is black and toasted. Might be the myrhh?

Verdict: A definite "Like" - which is surprising given an oil with the problematic notes (wine and roses). Bravo to the Lab for pulling off the combination.

For some reason I had never considered trying this scent but just recently received frimps of Lilith from two generous forumites. Thanks!!

Wet -- At first it just smells like wine. Very quickly the wine looses some of the alcoholic tang and becomes sweet and fruity. It doesn’t smell like something I could like at this stage. “Too young and fruity” I thought.

As it dries -- it darkens down and the sweet fruity note is balanced by incense-y notes (the myrrh?). After about fifteen minutes the rose note starts to come out. On me the rose note does not scream “rose”. It isn’t the tea rose of London or the sharp rose of Rose Red. It is blended right down in the mix and I have to focus to smell it. It is lovely though, sleek and silky.

Drydown -- Myrrh plus a bit of sweet wine. The rose is in the background but there is enough of it to make this decidedly feminine. The scent is cool, silky and very unusual, not at all like any commercial perfume I know. From some of the reviews I thought this would be an overpoweringly dark and assertive perfume but it isn‘t. This scent doesn’t feel as soporific as some of the other dark scents, makes me feel lively and sociable.

EDIT: I was wearing this at work the other day (library) and a male patron said "Something smells really good, is it you? Like powder but really nice!"

Thanks, I guess....

EDIT again: I've gone through a couple of imps of this and gotten several compliments. It is definitely on my wish list for a bottle.

Edited by Myrrha

Oh man, this was a sweet red wine and roses scent. It's got a bit of a bite and it's very sensual.

As it dries however, it just becomes red red roses. You know the kind. Big. Voluptous. Sensual.

Ah, if I only liked slutty roses.

In the bottle – Sweet red wine, and the darkness of the myrrh

Wet on me – It’s hard to pick out any particular note, but it’s dark and fiery, and undeniably feminine

Dry on me – The black musk takes over and dominates the blend

Overall – The musk is just too animalistic for me to be comfortable wearing.

A frimp from Lycanthrope with a decant circle purchase.

This is my day for finding rose scents that work, I guess. First Red rose and White Rose end up working, and now this. It's lovely. On me it's mostly myrrh and wine, but, the rose and musk are still there. No amping, no over sweetening...it is working.

I have a djinn character in an online game and this is actually just about the scent that I had described for her over three and a half years ago. :eek:

This came to me as a frimp along with Dance of Death. In the imp, all I can smell is Robitussin. It must be the red wine, but it's gross and cloying. I finally persuade myself to try some on (it's the last imp that I try out of my pack). It's still cloying, but the red wine is still at the forefront and it's not helped by the myrrh or musk. It's too strong and it gives me a headache. Into the swap pile it goes.