Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The membrane enclosing the heart: white sandalwood and rice milk shimmering with sheer vanilla, white amber resin, frankincense, and a drop of sweet clove.

This smells very smooth in the bottle, sweet woods.

On, this immediately brings to mind Liz but without the pepperyness or the smoldering smoke.  I'm getting more of the vanilla and amber, and less of the milk and smoky frankincense.  The clove, if present, truly is just a little drop since I'm not getting a very strong spicy vibe.  This stays very close to the skin, and does have light throw, but it's silken smooth, and remains a non-foody vanilla floating over a dry, medium weight sandalwood.  I'll have to give it more wear time.

Sheer vanilla, amber, and rice milk. I get hints of both the frankincense and sweet clove. This is a very sheer, sort of milky blend on me. My skin eats this right up and about 30 minutes of this I barely can smell it.

This is a nice blend!  It’s very smooth and gentle resins + woods.  I swear I’m smelling a bit of honey, but I think that just may be the vanilla, clove, and amber playing with my noee.  

I've tested this several times, and it's just not really showing up for me. Everything is very faint on first application, and is already nearly gone in a minute or two.

For a few seconds I get a sheer, almost silken vanilla, rice milk, pale sandalwood, and a hint of clove.

Then the sandalwood and clove slip away, and I just get a thin, faint vanilla rice milk.

Then that, too, is barely there.

I hope time helps this one become less shy.

They are not kidding when they say the vanilla is sheer. It is a gossamer almost illusory vanilla that I have to look for..

The white sandalwood, white amber, vanilla and frankincense are very blended and I suspect this scent is a little more present in the waft than it seems to me from sniffing my wrists. Frankincense comes out more as it dries. 

I love the delicate, absolutely beautiful frankincense/amber/vanilla drydown but it is probably too light on me to be useful as a perfume. Maybe if I slathered?

A sheer resiny vanilla, with a tidy spice anchor.  Peg this one for an absolute stunner, but unfortunately short in wear time, even with slathering.  This is a milk note that played surprisingly nicely (usually the cream note goes to plastic on my skin). Lovers of Hod Resurrected, take note - this doesn't have that spicy carnation note as in Hod, but is otherwise very similar.

Pericardium features soft resins sloshed with rice milk and spiced with some clove. The clove is present throughout, being a main player for the first hour, and then just adding a light spice to the blend thereafter, mingling with the soft resins, rice milk, and sheer vanilla. This milky, gentle resin scent stays very close to the skin, and is very sheer, indeed.

I think it is nice, but I really wish it were stronger.

Edited by doomsday_disco

I didn't expect this blend to be as delicate as it is! The hint of clove adds a spice to the frankincense that gives it an almost floral touch, and the vanilla is a very gentle one that my skin somehow cannot amp (perhaps the sandalwood restrains it). The rice milk is only present in the throw at first, but with time it becomes more present as the clove backs away. It's overall too dainty for me, but I wouldn't mind smelling it on someone else.

Spicy milky frankincense. I'm always on the lookout for this type of blends. Very evocative and cuddly. Reminds me of Kenzo's oriental fragrances. The rice milk mingles so well with the frankincense and the vanilla sweetens the whole concoction a tiny tiny bit. The clove comes out later and adds a bit of zing (reminding me a bit of carnation) and gosh, iy makes the entire blend sing on my skin! I will retest this again and contemplate on acquiring a bottle.

Edited by theredkilt

I think I had the same experience as doomsday_disco.  

For the first hour or so this was a clove-dominant creamy rice milk with undertones from the vanilla, sandalwood and frankincense, but I wouldnt say I could detect those notes until the clove had burned down from being the main note.  It remained very soft and hard to detect throughout weartime.  It was interesting and I could imagine a lot of people enjoying it - it seems like a comforting autumnal scent to me, like a soft sweater - but just a bit out of my wheelhouse.  I'm glad to have gotten to try it though.

Pericardium is really gentle on me.  Sweet vanilla rice milk and pale sandalwood dominate when wet, and then a very low-key frankincense comes out with the clove.  Both of those can be quite prominent on me, but they are not loud here. The amber is quiet, laying down a warm background.  I like this a lot but it is really a skin scent.  I wonder if aging will make it a little stronger?

I almost went straight to bottle, but need to restrain myself.  The notes all looked great to me, except sandalwood, which can often overpower a blend.  At first, pretty much woody, perfumey sandalwood.  After a bit, amber comes out, but sandalwood is still the star.  This is smelling rather 'tinny' and metallic on me, and I'm glad I just went with the decant.  I wish the vanilla and rice milk were more present, as I think it would have made this blend glorious.  I'll keep the decant just to see, but for now, its just too sandalwood forward.

eta:  Weird that this is quite strong on me, while others have noted that it's a rather quiet blend.

Edited by milo

In the decant: Rice milk, a light resin that might be frankincense or white amber, and a bit of sweet clove. 

On my skin:

Wet, it's rice milk, frankincense, a bit of vanilla, and a bit of clove. At this stage, it's definitely embodying a sheer, translucent type of scent on me, which is fitting. 

Before it dried, I slathered it, deciding that the scent was sheer enough to warrant slathering, at least for accurate reviewing purposes. As it dries, I get sheer frankincense and sweet clove; the rice milk and vanilla are present in the scent's roundness. It's a little weird to describe, but I would call the scent creamy and full while also calling it soft and sheer. There must be some sandalwood coming out as well because the scent has a more grounded feel than I'd expect from the other notes. But this sandalwood is definitely playing a supporting role rather than a starring one. 

As it develops on my skin, I get a slightly powdery resin note, which is more likely the amber than the frankincense. But it's soft and sweet and meshes well with the vanilla, sandalwood, and clove. 

Like others, I'm finding this scent very pretty and wearable -- but also faint. I'll use up the decant I have as well as the one coming, I think, but I probably don't see myself purchasing a bottle.  

Is it weird to say this is what I wish sunscreen could smell like? Vanilla tinted sunscreen sunshine. Please?

Anyways, Pericardium kinda has an all natural sunscreen vibe...but this is sweeter and gentler. Floaty summertime vanilla breezes. The perfect outdoor day. This review is getting weirder by the second so I'm stopping now.

Creamy rice milk with clove. The frankincense and amber keep it from being a totally foodie blend. It's fancier than that. Sexy but delicate, inviting, keeps you guessing what's coming next.

I surprised I didn't snatch this up when it originally appeared, given how many notes in this I adore!

Luckily, I was just recently gifted a bottle and I'm so glad for it! The rice milk and clove are both the most dominant notes. I would've never thought they'd work together, because I'd assume that the clove would dominate. However, with Beth's mastery, they are in perfect balance, no doubt helped by the vanilla and amber combination, lending a bit of sweetness to shave off clove's rough edges. I'm not getting any of the frank, but I'm quite relieved, since frankincense often goes sideways on me. I agree this scent is both sexy and delicate, and will surely get use of this all summer long! :) 

pericardium is a really excellent vanilla forward blend. showcases it from all angles. in the bottle it’s very clean, almost stony, but freshly on the stoniness disappears and this becomes a very foodie vanilla. i never quite get any spice from the clove. freshly applied this is like a sweet vanilla milk wrapped around the nuttiness of the rice. as it dries the nutty aspect fades, leaving a more vanilla orchid vibe like a sweet vanilla floral, almost soap like but with the resins wafting in the background, grounding the soapy aspects with some powdery body. medium light throw and decent wear length on me

I had a lot of hope for this. I wanted a creamy, ricey, resiny blend. I got loud, medicinal clove with a hint of creamy rice. Massive bummer. 

White sandalwood is my bpal nemesis because it just smells like baby powder to me and it drowns out the other notes that it's paired with (and I don't like the powder scent at all).  It's hard to smell much here other than the powder, but I get whiffs of an astringent, clean, sharp milkiness and dry clove.

Pericardium was whisper-soft when I first tested it, and so I never upgraded my decant to a bottle until more recently, when I pulled it out to test and it was much more full-blown! Having acquired a bottle, and gone through a few Yules in the meantime, I'm finally getting around to reviewing.

Pretty, very pretty. The sandalwood is the pale, powdery kind that (like Little Bird) doesn't suit me quite right, but I know it works well for others. It is a white resin rather than a big dark stompy one, but it does predominate over the other two pale resins (amber and frank) for the first hour. Instead, the sandalwood dances with the familiar BPAL perfumey rice milk, which is a creamy semi-sweet waft straddling gourmand and rich perfume. If you've smelled it, you know what I mean!

For me, the clove is gossamer-sheer, just like the vanilla. I can almost smell carnation here too, but I know it is an illusion. Compared with others that were similar in my head (There Is No Bliss Like This, Wan Wan), Pericardium is far less spicy, much more mellow and calm. It continues to shimmer as it dries, doing the inexplicable amber thing that is just...pretty. It almost reminds me of a softer, sheerer Vision of the Courtesan. They share the rice milk and frankincense, so no wonder! I think if you like that one but it's perhaps a bit much, you will love Pericardium. For me, Vision was everything I needed from this kind of perfume, but without the sandalwood, so Pericardium will be moving on and finding a good home!

I would wear this while: scrolling through cottagecore inspo on pinterest