Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Similarities Between BPAL Scents - GC and general discussion

Shattered and Undertow smell similar on my skin. Undertow is a bit more sweeter than Shattered. I suppose the grapefruit in Shattered dampens down the lotus while in Undertow, the lotus is very very strong.

okay, folks, this is sort'f strange.

the lab put a gimp of whitechapel in with my last order. if citrus has the same habit of disappearing on your skin as it does on mine, it should leave you with basically a single note white musk. :P -toddles off to play with layering-

Follow me Boy and Sacred whore of Babylon are quite similar, FMB is bit sweeter and lighter, and has that "voodoo" feeling to it.

To me and on my skin these smell similar:

Eris and Water Of Notre Dame seem to carry a lot of similar notes, WOND I find a bit heavier with a herbal note while Eris is a bit softer and lighter.

Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo and Hollywood Babylon on the dry down. ACJM is the innocent version of HB. HB is a bit heavier with an incense tone to it.

Four scents that have similarities to me:

Sepulcher: The most dry and severe of the four

Ouija: woodier, less floral but a similar feel the floral is similar but adds a warmer rose

Zombie: Dirtier but still yummy and rosey

Crossroads: The holy grail, all the good of the above and then some. dame crossroads is just wonderful :P

Other similar blends: Snake oil is similar to O, just add honey ( an improvement in my mind) Sacred Whore is Snake oil with a spicey gardenia added, perversion is snake oil with leather and white wine.

Are there any oils that stay like the very first stage of Ouija -- the smoky dusty wood scent? I LOVED the way it smelled in the imp and when I first put it on, but then it turned into a very heavy floral and gave me a headache, and I'm sad.

Are there any oils that stay like the very first stage of Ouija -- the smoky dusty wood scent?  I LOVED the way it smelled in the imp and when I first put it on, but then it turned into a very heavy floral and gave me a headache, and I'm sad.

I think crossroads fits the bill for that. They smell similar to me but the ouija goes flora ( which I love) and crossroads stays dry and dusty.

Thank you! I'll have to try that.

Next question... what oils (if any) are similar in character to Wanda? I particularly like the way it smells like heat-flushed skin.

dana o'shee - queen of sheba - (skuld? - salome?)

queen of sheba - morocco

eos - old new orleans

old new orleans - bayou

desire - la petit mort

desire - vixen

There are so many whose differences are so *subtle* it's hard for me to tell them apart without wearing one on one wrist and one on the other. Nuts.

Edited by orangepaas

Centzon Totochtin vs. Blood Kiss

These two have a similar, major component that I've never smelled in another blend. They're different, yeah, you can tell them apart, but still VERY alike on me!

Blood Lotus vs. Kabuki

Kabuki dry and Blood Lotus wet smell way similar on me.

Akuma vs. Vice

Akuma smells like Vice without the chocolate on me.

Vice + Blood Kiss + Centzon Totochtin = Vice is the least cherry of the three, but shares a similar base note I think. Blood Kiss and CT have the same sweet and sultry cherry/wine/blood top not, but while BK turns really soapy on me within about 30 minutes, CT stays very true to that luscious sweetness.

Golden Priapus is a more rugged Snake Oil

Fire of Love is a very smoky version of Siren

Snow White + Sweet Almond + Dana O'Shee all share the same creamy, albeit slightly plasticky note.

Vice + Blood Kiss + Centzon Totochtin = Vice is the least cherry of the three, but shares a similar base note I think. Blood Kiss and CT have the same sweet and sultry cherry/wine/blood top not, but while BK turns really soapy on me within about 30 minutes, CT stays very true to that luscious sweetness.

Golden Priapus is a more rugged Snake Oil

Fire of Love is a very smoky version of Siren

Snow White + Sweet Almond + Dana O'Shee all share the same creamy, albeit slightly plasticky note.

you are so right on the blood kiss and centzon t.- vice is a bit more orange blossomy but i can see the similarity!

golden priapus is actually o with added wood notes for the boys.

snake oil is more vanilla and patchouli than o or golden priapus and i liken it to sacred whore with added gardenia :P

also, hell's belle is very similar to sacred whore and black dahlia.

someone above said new orleans and bayou are similar...i don't get that...new orleans is a bit boozy with jasmine, honeysuckle and nightblooms...bayou is ozoney murky water with spanish moss and earthy elements and swamp flowers.

Am I the only one who thinks that Antony is nearly identical to Perversion, with the exception of the level of smokiness, maybe my skin just likes the leather :P .

I have found that O and Skuld are almost exactly the same in the bottle (very heavy with honey). Once I put them on, Skuld turns just slighty floral while O stays very sweet.

Edited by DameBecca

Hey I was wondering

1) what rose scents smell very similar to, or have the same feel as Persephone- I have no idea what kind of rose it is exactly (turkish, bulgarian, damasus, etc.) but it is by far the freshest, juiciest rose I've ever encountered. According to previous mention, it bears resemblance to Rose Red and Bordello--one of which is discontinued and the other seems better suited for colder weather.

2) what other fruity scents have the same feel/ level of freshness as Persephone, and are not candylike (i.e., Tamora)

thanks!

I swear they are sisters: Midwinter's Eve and Carnal smell almost identical on me when they're dry. It's the figgy plum thing.

Relatives: The Unicorn and Nosferatu (hear me out). While Nosferatu is very dark and almost medicinal, there are underlying sweet herbal notes that become dominant when dry, well the same sweet herbs appear on my flesh with The Unicorn (in the bottle, and when dry) without the overshadow of decay.

Hey I was wondering

1) what rose scents smell very similar to, or have the same feel as Persephone- I have no idea what kind of rose it is exactly (turkish, bulgarian, damasus, etc.)  but it is by far the freshest, juiciest rose I've ever encountered.  According to previous mention, it bears resemblance to Rose Red and Bordello--one of which is discontinued and the other seems better suited for colder weather.

2) what other fruity scents have the same feel/ level of freshness as Persephone, and are not candylike (i.e., Tamora)

thanks!

The rose in the Rose Cross I just tested, very much reminded me of the rose in Persephone. It's just got dry, incensy frankincense backing it up instead of pomegranate. I like both! More to sniff than to wear, but still, it's lovely! :P

i don't know if this has been mentioned but hell's belle and perversion smell so similar that i could only justify getting a 5ml bottle of one scent not both!

On my skin, Egyptian Temple (the Twilight Alchemy blend) smells almost identical to Black Lotus. It has that smoky wood/resin smell and lotus (in fact Egyptian temple is more lotusy on me that Black Lotus!) on my skin, but in the bottle it smells totally different-it actually smells much nicer in the bottle, a rich, sweet, resinous blend with a hint of wine. I was hoping it would be like that on my skin too...

Out of curiosity, how close are Sudha Segara and Shub Niggurath?

To me, Shub and Sudha Segara aren't close at all. The ginger note is familiar, but shub is much warmer, stronger and complex than Sudha. To my nose, Sudha is like a lighter version of Dana if you take out the grain and substitute ginger. Shub is a bright splash of ginger with an underneath that is almost carmelized cookieish...not really foody, but the same warmth i got from say Jack, I get from Shub. I think people that like Gingerbread Poppet, aged Sugar Skull, maybe Jack...will probably like Shub - it's that kinda spicy sweet.

I am seeing these similarities:

Violet Ultraviolet-->Veil-->Wings of Azreal

Lemon Shanghai-->Kumiho-->Severin

I am sure I will find more as I smell more.

Edited by olympia301