Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Similarities Between BPAL Scents - GC and general discussion

I think O, La Petit Mort, and Skuld are sisters--honey-scented sisters, each with a similar basenote but with different attitudes. If you like one, you should try the others.

O is the experienced big sister. She's been around the block, she's tough, she's sensual, she's brazen.

La Petit is the romantic middle sister. She will have sex ("make love") only if she's in love. She keeps a journal and writes wistful poetry.

Skuld is the little sister, barely in adolesence. She chews grape gum and snaps the bubbles. She's just learned to flirt, and can't wait to do more.

Would someone compare Fae and Aglaea? I adore Fae but keep on seeing it pop up with Aglaea, but I would like an educated nose to give out the particulars. Also, Katherina, which seems to be in the same ballpark.

FYI-when I think about Tamora and Fae I consider Fae much more peachy and Tamora more like roses without any roses in it. I do not associate Fae with roses at all, nor Tamora with peach (although others would strongly disagree with me about this). :P

I've tried Tamora, Fae, Katharina & Aglaea.

For a point of reference -- Tamora is my favorite of them all and I do associate it with peaches. :P However, I think of it as the juice that runs out when you take a bite into a sweet, overripe peach. For me, the oakmoss and bergamot in Fae don't make it as sunny. Maybe more elusive and wild, but not the same sweet peachiness I associate with Tamora.

Katharina is extremely fruity. For me, it's slightly sharp due to the orange blossom but it's the fruitiest of the bunch on me.

Algaea is bright and sparkly. I'd say it falls somewhere between the sweetness of Tamora and the peach in Fae, if there were a spectrum. If Fae is slightly elusive in the "I run around in the forest type of way" and Tamora is sweet in the drenched peach juice sort of way, Algaea is a shiny and bright peach wine.

That's how they are on me, FWIW. My skin chemistry is a little strange, but it loves the peach and to a lesser extent, apricot.

I cannot for the life of me identify a single note in Peace (and even checking the reviews is no help because everyone comes up with something different) ... but that doesn't keep it from being my favoritist BPAL scent ...

SO ... for anyone who has tried it, can anyone tell me a BPAL scent that they think smells like Peace???

By the way, I think Omen = Spellbound for dudes.

Hemlock, Nocnitsa, Dublin and Leanan Sidhe slept in the same bed :P

They are all very different but have a comparable herbal fresness to them.

I just finished reading this thread hoping to find some hints to other scents I would like. My favorites are:

O

Snake Oil

Dana O'Shee

Queen of Sheba

Bewitched

Gluttony

Yep. Looks like a pattern forming here. Creamy. Sweet, but not overly sweet. I've tried probably a good dozen others, and have found that if there's a note in it that is sharp/strong or has a bit of bite to it (ginger, clove, strong musk, bergamot, moss), it goes horribly wrong on my skin or maybe just to my nose. I'm looking for something that would fit this bill that's a fruit essence. Not necessarily creamy but something that's a lightly sweet, but creamy would be nice too.

I tried Jester but that was way too fruit punch-like on me. Any recommendations?

I just finished reading this thread hoping to find some hints to other scents I would like. My favorites are:

O

Snake Oil

Dana O'Shee

Queen of Sheba

Bewitched

Gluttony

Yep. Looks like a pattern forming here. Creamy. Sweet, but not overly sweet. I've tried probably a good dozen others, and have found that if there's a note in it that is sharp/strong or has a bit of bite to it (ginger, clove, strong musk, bergamot, moss), it goes horribly wrong on my skin or maybe just to my nose. I'm looking for something that would fit this bill that's a fruit essence. Not necessarily creamy but something that's a lightly sweet, but creamy would be nice too.

I tried Jester but that was way too fruit punch-like on me. Any recommendations?

There i go again....I keep recommanding Katherina :P It's soft happy sweet and fruity. March hare is a good one to but might go wrong on the clove...I have and love all the scent's you have mentioned so we might be scent-twins :D

Can anyone compare Hurricane and Storm Moon? I love Storm Moon (ozone? salty aquatic? YUM.), but since I'm from the coastal Southeast I'm really curious about Hurricane :P.

RunsWithScissors:

Tamora IMHO is softer, creamier if you will, than Katherina.

Endymion is a crisp fruit scent, softened with musk (but I don't get the musk so much). Nice, juicy pears and muget. Mmmmmm! So summery!

You might want to dry Tombstone, which is woodsy-creamy -- at least on me. Also check out Carnal and Intrigue.

I saw there was a similar thread, only it's "if you like x perfume, try this BPAL"...

What would you all recommend (in the BPAL line, preferably, or even on the outside) if I'm in love with Antique Lace and Baobhan Sith?

As for Baobhan Sith, the closest match I ever found was an LE, Queen of Diamonds, but that's not going to be any easier to acquire.

Kumiho. Kumiho practically is Baobhan Sith to my nose, only it has a ginger bite instead of a grapefruit bite.

Regan also has a similar "feel" as Antique Lace...riddel once told me that AL smelled "white and pink" to her, while Regan smells "white and purple."  I adore AL and only *like* Regan though, but you might want to give it a try  :P

Yep! They're similar in "feel" to my nose, different "colors," though they don't smell exactly the same. Still, it's definitely worth a try. I really do think it's BPAL's closest match at the moment. Since you're open to non-BPAL recs, ginevra, I suggest you try Ava Luxe's Vanilla Musk. I find it quite similar to Antique Lace. I think Josey agrees. Also, Aquolina's Pink Sugar smells like a softer Antique Lace on me once it dries down, but that could just be my skin chemistry.

Edited by riddel

Can anyone reccomend a scent to replace Cheshire Cat if it never comes back? I never really got a strong Citrus smell from that one, am I the only person who didn't? It went very happy, creamy and soft on me. Sadly I've only had an imp to last me for I don't know how long now.

I also would like to try something that would be similat to Cerberus, I never got to try that one being a bit of a newbie, but it sounds like it would have been lovely.

TIA

Claire.

RunsWithScissors:

For me, the closest thing I have found to O (my #1 favorite BPAL scent, btw) is Skuld and for Gluttony, Hollywood Babylon is very similar on me.

I've looked over most of these posts, and I can't find anything on a Dorian sibling scent. On me, I get NO lemon at all from Dorian. Not at all. It's wonderfully warm and sexy, and has this bit of *kick* that's kind of cologney in a way, so I'm guessing that must be musk. I don't actually know what musk smells like by itself, so I'm only assuming here. I ADORE this scent though, is there something that smells really similar to Dorian (not the lemon part everyone else seems to get). ?

Try Follow Me Boy.

Can anyone reccomend a scent to replace Cheshire Cat if it never comes back?  I never really got a strong Citrus smell from that one, am I the only person who didn't?  It went very happy, creamy and soft on me.  Sadly I've only had an imp to last me for I don't know how long now. 

I also would like to try something that would be similat to Cerberus, I never got to try that one being a bit of a newbie, but it sounds like it would have been lovely.

TIA

Claire.

Can anyone reccomend a scent to replace Cheshire Cat if it never comes back?  I never really got a strong Citrus smell from that one, am I the only person who didn't?  It went very happy, creamy and soft on me.  Sadly I've only had an imp to last me for I don't know how long now. 

TIA

Claire.

cheshire cat is in my "summery citrus yummys" with kumiho, embalming fluid, aizen-myoo and baobhan sith (this one was discontinued when cheshire was). i have always though if you like one of these you'll most likely like them all....

wet - Vice and the Red Queen (I definitely prefer Vice)

dry down - Vice and Kabuki are rather similar (I prefer Vice)

I find Tezcatlipoca and Loviatar are somewhat similar initially (I definitely prefer Loviatar)

finally, Hearth & Miskatonic University have similar vibes (love Hearth, don't like Misk)

Can anyone compare Hurricane and Storm Moon?  I love Storm Moon (ozone?  salty aquatic?  YUM.), but since I'm from the coastal Southeast I'm really curious about Hurricane :P.

I don't know if this is gonna help but....

To me, storm moon is a lighter, brighter aquatic scent whereas hurricane is heavier and darker. Storm moon is like a thundershower in the daytime, and hurricane is like a thunderstorm in the darkest part of the night.

I found Storm Moon very fresh, cool and clean smelling, like Irish Spring soap. Hurricane is more of a warm, humid, kind of murky scent. It reminds me of camping in the summer, sitting in a rain-soaked tent and smelling just a tinge of that musty/moldy smell. It has that "humidity" note that I also got from Bayou without, of course, the florals.

If you ask me, Hurricane and Storm Moon couldn't be more different. Yes, they're both aquatics, but they're miles apart for me. I love Storm Moon, but Hurricane is really not my kind of scent anymore.

Storm Moon (as I'm sure you know) is almost pure ozone. Very metallic and crisp smelling, like the air after a thunderstorm. To me, there's none of the "aquatic" kind of note I get from a lot of BPAL's other aquatic type scents. It's just pure, zingy ozone and that's why I love it.

Hurricane is murky and smells of standing water and slightly rotting vegetation. That's not a bad thing, mind you, it's actually quite nice in its own way, but it's got none of Storm Moon's super-clean ozoney goodness. It's very much the smell of what a beach after a hurricane might smell like.

They really are night and day for me, but if you like a very humid, murky kind of aquatic smell, Hurricane is definitely a good choice. :P