Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Similarities Between BPAL Scents - GC and general discussion

Does anyone else think that Kabuki and Hollywood Babylon are very similar? Kabuki is a bit more spicy, but apart from that they seem almost the same to my nose.

Ouija and Seance are sister scents....the big difference to my nose is that one smokes (Ouija) and the other doesn't. I luv them both.

I've found Blood Amber to be just like Spellbound without the rose.

The now-discontinued Pandora has a very similar cherry candycane feel to the up and coming Nine Mysteries (indeed, if Nine Mysteries enters the permanent collection that will help me get over my sadness at losing Pandora). :P

I think this might have been mentioned earlier, but Bewitched is very similar to Glasgow, just a bit sweeter- more focus on sweet berries, where in Glasgow those berries are tempered more by the heather.

Have you tried Thanatopsis?

It's very resiny and non-floral and similar to some of the stuff you listed.

I don't know if there's cedar but it seems like something you'd like.

i am only now starting on the bpal journey. i have quite a few imps from a friend and fell head over heels for tintagel what r some similar scents i may wanna get imps of? tia

Yes, I have as a matter of fact, and I love it. :D

To me, it's like a mix of Loup Garou and Black Forest. :P

i am only now starting on the bpal journey. i have quite a few imps from a friend and fell head over heels for tintagel what r some similar scents i may wanna get imps of? tia

hamadryad is very similar to tingatel i think :P i love these two myself!

I find that tintagel smells primarily of dragon's blood resin on me, so I might suggest some of the other dragon's blood blends. You can find them listed under Ars Draconis. Maybe you will find something you like!

Just thought I'd throw in another similarity: Phantasm and Embalming Fluid could be long lost twins.

Phantasm is like Embalming Fluid + a bit of jasmine on me. :P

Did I already say that Perversion smells like whatever is hot and spicy in Snake Oil? (And then Dragon's Milk is the leftover sweetness from Snake Oil once it fades.)

Posting in here to ask yet another question. oh, what I wouldn't do without you ladies' help.. :P

What scents are similar to Tamora and Glitter?

Tamora smells exactly like Glitter and O's lovechild on me, and the Glitter component makes me absolutely SICK. I tried to bite my tongue in the reviews, but honestly, something in them is very, very sickly and a whiff haunts me for a long time thereafter. The only common note I can find is heliotrope, but that's in one of my favorite blends (Hollywood Babylon) as well as one I didn't love, but wasn't sickened by (Eclipse.)

So..are there any other oils you'd be able to put in the Tamora and Glitter family? Is there an unlisted culprit, perhaps? Let me know so I can stay away! Especially since I'd probably end up ordering them because I love sweet smells and Tamora and Glitter are definitely sweet, but NOT in a way I enjoy.

Hollywood Babylon and Lampades - Lampades is more tart and less incensy.

Swank and Rage, while nothing alike wet, have a similar drydown that reminds me of old import stores. Which is a good thing...

Embalming Fluid, Phantasm and Shanghai are all strong clean tea scents.

Morocco and Scherezade are very similar, with Scherezade being less sweet and more incensy.

Queen Mab, Regan and Phantom Queen are all similar - it's the orchid.

Rapture and The Caterpillar- can hardly tell the difference, except that Rapture is rosier. They both have jasmine, bergamot and neroli.

Phobos, Endymion and Fae all dry down to the same yummy white musk smell.

Sacred Whore and Love Me must have something in common, they have very much the same feel to me.

Lady of Shallot is like The Unicorn with musk.

Melopomene is like a floral version of Envy.

Lady Macbeth and Lilith - it's the wine.

Eve, Jezebel and Alice (and even La Petite Mort) - rose and honey.

Fae and Tamora are almost interchangeable on me.

I found Golden Priapus similar to Snake Oil as well.

Perversion is wonderful, it has the same "feel" as Snake Oil. Sexy, mysterious and guaranteed that no one else in the room will smell like you (unless of course you're with a bunch of BPALers.)

In reply to "what oils are similar to snake oil":

The up and coming scent Decadence smells very much like Snake Oil... I know there are some imps of it floating around out there, perhaps you will be able to find one.

Dragon's Milk is fairly similar to Snake Oil as well. They both strike me as rich, spicy-sweet scents, but Dragon's Milk has that unique dragon's blood tang to it, making it fruitier than Snake Oil.

On that note, Egg Nog resembled Dragon's Milk quite a bit... it had the same creamy, spicy sweetness to it, but none of the fruitness. So that might be something else to look into, if you can get your hands on some.

Mabon and Hunter Moon must be twins. Both are predominantly deep, dark, fruity/wine scents on me, though Mabon had a touch of floral while Hunter Moon had a drop of musk. Both are heavy, both are undeniably autumnal scents, and I associate both with shades of purple.

The Queen of Spades is actually quite similar to Mabon as well, though her fruitiness is less heady: plums instead of wine. They both have that light floral touch (which is a bit more noticable in the Queen), and they both share a soft, resin base. The Queen of Spades is a very purple scent as well.

Having just gotten some wonderful swaps from some lovely forumites, a couple of similarities occur to me...

Anne Bonny comes off just like Cathedral on me...a little stronger. I will definitely order it when I run low on Cathedral, as I can't live without this resiny smell and this is just a bit stronger than Cathedral....but not different enough to warrant me getting more immediately. I really like that it's stronger though. I should've ordered this one first!

Sin is turning out like Spellbound does...without the roses, but still, very similar. I might need more...yes, yes, I think I need more.

And Jabberwocky is turning out almost like Loup Garou, though a little stronger with the eucalyptus. I'm waiting to see if the orange comes out. I'm lovin' it, as they say!

And as I mentioned on another thread, I definitely agree with the Dublin=Skadi theory! Well it's a bit different, less pine perhaps, but I definitely see the similarity.

So the question is...if something smells just like another scent that you have (and like), do you still buy it? I'm thinking I'll wait until I start to run low...but who knows!

PENANCE ... sounds like we may be quite twinnish in our tastes ... DEFINITELY try Fire of Love ... I went back over my reviews and that was the one that just cedared me out of my mind!!!!!!!! But in a good way ...

By the way, haven't seen this one listed ... for those of you bemoaning the loss of Scorpio, have you tried Veil? I made lotions with both and can't tell the two apart ...

PENANCE ... sounds like we may be quite twinnish in our tastes ... DEFINITELY try Fire of Love ... I went back over my reviews and that was the one that just cedared me out of my mind!!!!!!!! But in a good way ...

I've got an imp of Fire of Love at home that I haven't gotten around to trying yet, so I'll have to move it up the list. :D :D

And on the scent similarity topic:

Capricorn, Brimstone and Malediction are all very similar to my nose and they're all gorgeous. :P

Golden Priapus is a lot like Snake Oil on me, with the addition of soft woods and amber.

golden priapus is O for the boys- it has the addition of the woods and musk- it s a little different from snake oil :D

i really like fae and tamora and have to say that marquise de merteuil with its juicy peach gives a similar vibe :P

Here's a totally weird one - Temple of Dreams and Morocco. On my skin they smell NOTHING alike. On my sheets, however (what rubs off because I wear it to bed), Temple of Dreams smells exactly like Morocco.

What oils are similar to Snake Oil (spiced) that are just as sweet or near it?

I think Blood Kiss & Snake Oil have some similarities. Snake Oil doesn't have the clove or vetiver, though (thank GOD).

Perversion and Dorian don't actually smell similar (they're definitely different) but on me they have a VERY similar 'vibe.' So if you like one (specifically the vibe of it), I predict you'd like the other.