Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Similarities Between BPAL Scents - GC and general discussion

If you like Embalming fluid, you'll like Kumiho. Same with Zombi and Burial.

See, I adore Zombi but didn't like Burial at all. It just smelled like wet paint to my nose. Peculiar.

I love Sin. I need a vat of it. I tried searching the database for the notes listed but it is giving me way too many scents for me to order to try :P Can anyone recommend Bpal oils that are similiar in note to Sin? At least one of the ingredients makes this really work on me so I'd like to buy some similiar oils.

Thanks!

Kimberly

Ooh, let's see, for me...

Penitence

Cathedral (sweeter dry down than Penitence, but very similar to my nose)

Anne Bonny (somewhere in between the two, with a hint of salt)

Tushnamatay

Old Kathmandu (more cedar, but very similar in the beginning stages)

Szepasszony (slightly more floral and with more ozone)

Bayou (more aquatic and slightly stronger)

Ultraviolet (More violetty)

Nine Mysteries (More citrusy, but with the same minty top note and vaguely floral undertone)

Ulalume (More floral)

Tears

Burial (More loamy)

Loup Garou (More woody)

Those are all I've come across so far, but I'm sure there'll be more once I get through all my imps. :P

~ Penance

Edited by Penance

Queen Gertrude and Zombi are the violet and rose version of each other, to my nose. They both have the same green flavor to my nose, with violet/rose on top.

I'm really really fond of alice and was surprised by that - I'm wondering if anyone has tried just the carnation single note? I have always loved bergamot but I think it's the carnation that really stands out for me in alice... now that they're phasing out the single notes I'm wondering if I should order a bottle... or just be happy with alice and not look a gift horse in the mouth kinda thing :P

anyone?

Trying to make a list of scents i wanna get for the full moon update.... so far my favorite BPAL to date has been Lilith and Morella. Any recs would be greatly appreciated! Thnx!

which scents do you find similar to Old Morocco?

(I'm also a fan of Kali, Wicked, Persephone, Old New Orleans, Snake Oil, Meagara, Noir and Black Widow... any suggestions?)

chimera is similar in the spicy, smooth aspect that old morocco has. queen of sheba carries the same slightly african atmosphere, but it isn't what i would call smooth.

I think that Scherezade is similar to Old Morroco in that they are both spicy scents. However, Scherezade is less dry because it doesn't contain any sandalwood and the floral component is provided by the saffron note.

FWIW, I prefer Scherezade although I think that Old Morroco is lovely as well :P

(Edited because I thought that Old Morroco didn't have any musk in it. Silly me, I should re-read the descriptions before I post...)

Edited by tempete

I agree that Scherezade seems to be like Old Morocco without the carnation.

They aren't exactly the same, but they're close cousins in my opinion. :P

~ Penance

Bpal relations:

Sin is like Snake Oil's older, leather-wearing sister.

Titania is Blue Moon with a fruit note instead of an aquatic one.

I just smelled the sabbat oils I was lucky enough to have shared with me as decanted imps from generous forumites, cuz I was thinking that Mabon smelled a bit like Ace of Cups.

I was wrong. But I do think that Lugnasadh and Ace of Cups are actually fairly similiar in scent...at least one...sort of berry/cherry notes, though ace of cups is a bit more silvery, if that makes any sense.

And I've wondered for a long time if Twilight Alchemy lab was up and coming or what....so I hope it gets off the ground too....more sabbat and ritual oils! Yay!

If you like rose, you might consider Othello. It has the same feel as Old Morocco to me... kind of the same "base," I guess.

Dana O'Shee

O

Le Petit Mort

If you mixed amber into Dana O'Shee you'd have O.

If you mixed tuberose into O you'd have Le Petit Mort.

They all smell extremely similar to my nose. I think they all must have a dominant honey note.