Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Similarities Between BPAL Scents - GC and general discussion

I find that Velvet and Morocco are definitely along a similar vein when it comes to warm, brown, spicy scents. I love both, but Morocco has an exotic edge that sends me into vacation-dreamland! :P

to me, and on me, Urd and Intrigue are the same oil.. no difference whatsoever!

It was weird, and left me wondering if i may have run across a misslabeling.

I was wondering what ones there are similar to Kabuki, but not quite as sweet. I like how strong the cherry is, but it's a bit sweet for my tastes.

Thanks.

I was wondering what ones there are similar to Kabuki, but not quite as sweet.  I like how strong the cherry is, but it's a bit sweet for my tastes.

Thanks.

Sounds like Kyoto would be perfect for you. It has the same cherry and anise as Kabuki but it has sandalwood instead of red musk so it's not nearly as sweet at Kabuki

You're welcome :P . Ooo, I thought of another good one. Have you tried The Red Queen?

Deep mahogany and rich, velvety woods lacquered with sweet, black-red cherries and currant.

The wood notes really tone down the sweetness of the cherries and currant, it really does make you think of polished wood.

Would someone please compare and contrast verandi and the hesperides for me?

Editied because I am a spaz...

Edited by lookingglass

Would someone please compare and contrast verandi and the hesperides for me?

Editied because I am a spaz...

To my nose, there was the same apple note in both, but Hesperides had a buttery, apple-danish quality to it, while Verdandi was just herby.

I am in love with Centzon Totochtin. I think its the chocolate and rum/wine notes I really like. I've heard Blood Kiss is similar, minus the chocolate, which defeats the point for me.

Is Kali anything like it? It seems to have similar ingredients and descriptions. I really like the dark and sinful alcoholic chocolate smell of Centzon, does Kali have this?

EDIT: Thought I'd first add the site's description-

This perfume is a blend of the sacred blooms of cassia, hibiscus, musk rose, Himalayan wild tulip, lotus and osmanthus swirled with offertory dark chocolate, red wine, tobacco, balsam and honey.

Then add taht my favorite scents are usually inscensy things like myrrh and sandalwood, and I adore the smell of real honey.

I am alittle uneasy about tobacco scents.... It doesn't make you smell like a walking cigarette, does it? Because I HATE that smell

Edited by LadyMagpie

I just tried Nyx and really liked it, but I saw the description for Wicked and it seemed quite similar (jasmine, myrrh, rose). Has anyone tried both? How are they similar/different?

Then add taht my favorite scents are usually inscensy things like myrrh and sandalwood, and I adore the smell of real honey.

I am alittle uneasy about tobacco scents.... It doesn't make you smell like a walking cigarette, does it? Because I HATE that smell

Tobacco is rich, thick,sweet and dark. It dosn't smell like a cigarette to me. My chemistry really amps up florals and it is about all I get from Kali untill it is dried out and almost completely faded away, then I get some cocoa with a fruity sweetness (the osmanthus and honey...).

Is Kali anything like it? It seems to have similar ingredients and descriptions. I really like the dark and sinful alcoholic chocolate smell of Centzon, does Kali have this?

Kali, on me, was a very strong rose scent. My skin has a tendency to amp up roses like noone's business. It was sweet, but insanely rosey.

The tobacco Beth uses smells much like an expensive pipe tobacco, only richer. It is a very nice note and, with the exception of Dracul where I can pick it out easily, the tobacco note in many of her blends merely serves to deepen it or give it a bit of a bite. I cannot promise that you will never smell like a walking cigarette b/c your chemistry is different from mine and my hubby's. But, neither of us ever have. :P

Kali is one of my top 3. I actually get very little rose or floral... on me it's all cocoa (not "sweet" chocolate), honey, and wine. I luuuurve it.

Oki, I've looked at ALL 18.2 pages in this wonderfully evil thread (my to-try list has grown considerably!), but I've seen no mention of Dance of Death, which is one of my bestest favouritest scents! It smells like crushed dry November leaves with powdered bone sprinkled over top just for good measure.

Omen (and Nemesis, kinda sorta) comes close -- they have the warmth but not that dryness that I lust after. Any other ideas?

Anyone tried Spirits of the Dead or Dragon's Bone for comparison with Dance of Death?

Does anybody know if there are any catalog scents at all similar to Miskatonic University?

The only other one with coffee in is Mata Hari, as far as I know, and that's a totally different beast to MU. Velvet (sandalwood, cocoa vanille and myrrh) has a similar feel to MU to my nose.

Edited by fallow deer

Any recommendations for a scent that's similar to my beloved, but discontinued, Shattered?

I get mostly the mint and citrus notes in Shattered, on my skin, with champagne also present, but any lotus, floral, or aquatic notes completely absent.

Any recommendations for a scent that's similar to my beloved, but discontinued, Shattered?

I get mostly the mint and citrus notes in Shattered, on my skin, with champagne also present, but any lotus, floral, or aquatic notes completely absent.

Hae you tried envy? On me it was mint and citrus, with a light herbal backing rather than champagne

Tushnamatay is very similar to Al-Azif on me. The Tush is lighter and more subtle, and doesn't have the "maple-syrup" wet stage that Al-Azif does on me - but they're definitely very close on my skin. Yum.

Sin and Snake Oil are very similar on my skin. Sin is darker and heavier and Snake Oil is sweeter and more of a spicey skin scent.

What I don't get is the similarity people seem to find between Snake Oil and O. I really do not get much similarity between the two, although I love them both dearly. O is sticky on me where Snake Oil is sweet. I don't get very much spice from O, either...hm. Different chemistry. Must be.

Edited by judas_kiss