Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
kashmira

Funnel of Love

17-year aged black patchouli, champaca flower, cardamom bud, green coriander, Haitian vetiver, red vegetal musk, black pepper, night-blooming jasmine, and leather.

Funnel of Love starts out of the gate smelling very strongly of patchouli, cardamon,and pepper. As it dries, it becomes sweeter and richer, as the leather and musk begin to warm up. Eventually, a hint of jasmine and champaca flower do pop up, but overall, this is a much heavier, much more "earthy" type of scent. It is a scent that means business and is fairly assertive.

I admit I was a bit wary of Funnel of Love as it had a few notes that could possibly go wonky on me, but it has very pleasantly surprised me!

Patchouli and Musk are predominant. The patch is the dirty kind and the musk does have a slight vegetal quality which give this blend a gritty edge.

Hanging over the patch/musk is what I would describe as a dark, heavy incense and a medley of spices. The leather is rather quiet, just lingering, supporting the rest of the blend.

FoL comes out and screams "here I am!" it's not for the faint-hearted but if you love patchouli blends this is a must. :wub3:

So this is so not for me. I get a metric ton of BLACK LEATHER (DeSade, is that you?), patchouli, spices, and pepper. In other words, SPICY BLACK LEATHER.

I just can't handle this.

(It doesn't smell like funnel cakes. Just getting that out of the way.)

Wild, jungle patchouli! You don't wanna mess with this patchouli. Is red vegetal musk different from regular red musk? I vote no, because I smell red musk. I know the smell of coriander but I'm missing it here. Cardamom is present, though. Vetiver, no. Leather, yes.

Nice overall, but it's got a lot going on. Too much of a good thing for me, maybe. Ends up being mostly leather and patchouli, but I prefer Adam's buttery sexy leather.

Funnel of Love is dark, thick patchouli. And some other stuff, definitely pepper and spice, but mostly the meanest, grittiest, patchouliest patchouli ever. I don't think it is particularly wearable in any kind of a non-Burning Man-context, but it certainly is an evocative callback to the dizzying spiral of an opening scene of Only Lovers Left Alive.

I find Funnel of Love a deep and rich example of Beth's distinctive patchouli (if you want gritty, check out #OccupyWallStreet), lent a great deal of complexity by the other elements. The only other notes I can pick out are the red musk and maybe a faint hint of leather - it's blended pretty seamlessly. There is a slightly incensey vibe.

Smooth, deep, earthy, and very sexy. I'll be holding on to this one.

:cool: gah. reviews. so happy they are back...

I bought all my OLLA unsniffed and LOVED all of them, but this one is probably the favorite so far.

Patchouli lovers need to buy this stat. It does however have a sweetness for me almost like Black Taffetta. Love this one. six out of five stars

thankfully I do not smell any leather, dodged that bullet, if it's in here it's so well blended as to not make me smell like fine furniture or a nice fall jacket.

Edited by stellamaris

Very deep patchouli. Woody and peppery with leather blending everything together. Doesnt change much on the dry down except to get softer.

I love love love the patchouli here..it is soooo smooth and blends beautifully with everything else here, which I'm at a loss to figure out what the notes are. The whole feeling of this blend is rather like Crypt Queen, but with less fruit. It is drop dead sexy and would smell great on a guy too, I'm sure. A little goes a long way, and I wish I didn't slather, as I'm going out soon and I think it may be a bit of overkill. I really like this, it is patch at it's best, and I may try and track more down, but not much as it really does seem like you don't need a lot on.

My skin is weird. This smells very similar to Luna Negra 13 on me. It reminds me of Our Lady of Pain a little, but more Luna Negra. I get no leather or patchouli. :confused: I thought this would be horrid on my skin but I am pleasantly surprised. I get more of a fruity/herbal vibe from this and I'm still scratching my head as this does not smell anything like I imagined from the notes. Maybe this is mislabeled? IDK, I'm going to get a bottle and hope it's the same because it's beautiful!

Spicy patchouli and black leather, with a strengthening perfume of black pepper over the top.

Like most of the OLLA scents this should age really well, and I can't wait to see what they smell like.

Almost (almost!) every single note of this is gloriously amazing and gorgeous on me, so I HAD to try it and was blessed to receive a tester.

No. This is actually a washing it off oil for me. I can tell that all my beloveds are there, but -oh, hello death note!- all I can get is JASMINE. Dark spicy jasmine. *cries*

The jasmine did to this otherwise amazingly gorgeous scent what the violet did to Saturnalia for me. All you people for whom a jasmine note does NOT turn into stinky rot on your skin, enjoy this one for me since I can't.

I absolutely ADORE this song and love that it was used in the opening sequence of the movie. It sent the tone perfectlyI obviously had to have this. :) There are also so many win notes in here for me, vetiver, leather, pepper, spice? :thud: I was skeptical about the jasmine but I've learned not to let one note scare me away from a perfume purchase.

Out of the bottle, Funnel of Love is a perfumey, high-pitched jasmine, but just for a second! It jumps out right away but is quickly reeled in by the other notes.

On my skin, this is gorgeous! I'm still getting the jasmine along with champaca flower as top notes (no indole or diaper scent at all). Both white florals make this feel like an expensive, floral oriental perfume. It's the type of perfume you'd find in a boutique, test, fall in love with and then cry when you see the price tag.

As it dries, the dirty patchouli note makes an appearance but is tamed by the florals preventing it from going into hippie territory. Afterward, the pepper and spice peek out ever so slowly. I never get any leather from this or vetiver (I was hoping for a little more vetiver). It's incredibly well-blended, perhaps with some aging the other notes will come forward. Either way, this is magnificent!

Funnel of Love is probably my favorite out of the OLLA scents. When it first arrived, I couldn't stop huffing my wrists. It's sophisticated, sexy and surprisingly the jasmine really works for me.

Edited by Monster

On me this is mostly red musk, sadly don't get as much patchouli, and what I do get is pretty dirty, not as smooth. I would have liked for something more earthy and spicy, but its more high-pitched than I would have liked. Even though I really like jasmine, I can't smell it really here, it just sort of blends into the background as a floral sweetness. Reminds me a bit of Madame Moriarty and Snake Charmer.

I actually get the same vibe as Samarablackcat - it smells sort of like the plum in Our Lady of Pain etc, it has a dark/herbal fruitiness which is sort of random from the notes listed.

I"ll let it age, hoping to get more vetiver and patch with some time.

I get a mix of things on first sniff, out of the bottle.

Applied, wet, it's straight up leather. Leather & nothing but leather.

Dry-down: I get something almost maple syrup-y. The leather dies down, and there's something deep: hints of the patchouli & vetiver. I get 0 red musk, 0 jasmine, no champaca, and no cardamom.

Funnel of Love is so fantastic. I pulled the trigger on a bottle after the OLLA release, but was a smidge worried about the vetiver...I shouldn't have been. This is one well-blended scent. The patchouli that's almost old enough to vote, champaca, and leather blend into a supernote of smooth, resiny-floral goodness. The cardamom, coriander, and vetiver add a greenness to this blend that smells vital and adds depth. The red vegetal musk (wow), black pepper, and jasmine add darkness, sweetness, and shadow, cresting underneath in way that's difficult to tease out (for me) but is really meaningful in building to a more complex, layered scent. I put this on and I just feel relaxed. The vetiver does come out after a bit, but it's so mellowed by the other notes that I really enjoy it. Another great OLLA perfume!

this is my first review, so i figured i'd start with the first full bottle i bought myself. this is one well-blended perfume! it's such a complex scent with many layers; each time i smell it, i catch different aspects that i didn't notice before. i don't really find it dirty or gritty, but it's definitely strong - a little goes a really long way. it's sharper in the bottle and when i first put it on, and then as it dries down, it becomes sweeter and softer (like going on a forest walk on a warm summer night, carrying a well-loved, brown leather satchel, picking jasmine flowers). i find it so comforting!

This was a surprise! It's a very well-done leather, like a well-worn old jacket. The green notes give it an extra kick and make it something very special. On my skin, it gets so much better, leaving me with that strong, leather jacket scent.
Masculine/unisex. Green and black and really quite in your face. The longetivity of this seems to be forever, perfect!

If I want to feel like a badass this is the one I'll be pick for the day. :cool:

Wet: The leather caused this to smell very much of chemicals for a second. Then the patch amped up and took over. Then everything settled and it was really nice for a few minutes, well blended, unique and interesting. And it still is, but when I huff hard I get that aweful chemical smell leather sometimes has on my skin, and I hate that smell. The throw is lovely for a second, and then that leather hits my nose on the back of each sniff I take.

Dry: This turns really dry, dirty (not in the good way) and dusty on me. I think it's not meant for my skin chemistry, despite the notes that I love and the stage during drying that I really enjoyed.

Smoky black leather and a gritty, ashy sort of earthiness with a sprinkling of really sharp black pepper. I was worried about the jasmine, but I don't smell it at all in this blend, and the other notes are just a little too dark and aggressive for me, with no sweetness to round them out. I really like the lab's leather and patchouli, and usually enjoy vetiver and black pepper, but this just isn't working on me somehow. It's dark, sharp, and oppressive, with a gritty, ashy, dirty quality to it.

In Imp: Pungent! Strong leather and jasmine. The vetiver is blending well in the imp, and I can smell almost all of the notes, including the corianer and patchouli.

Wet:Leather, coriander, black pepper. This is the vetiver note I wish I experienced more in perfume - well-blended and grounding instead of front and center. Definitely strong and medicinal. Considering this scent has two of my death notes and I tried it mostly out of love for the movie and this song, this is going shockingly well. An incredibly well-blended scent.

Drying: Getting a little soapy, but the patch seems to be tempering that. I try not to ascribe too tightly to gender binaries for any scent, but this is definitely on the harsher and more masculine side.

Dry: What a wonderful surprise. A blend with vetiver and patchouli I could actually see myself wearing! Even the leather moves to the back burner on this one. I feel like this is what a dominatrix would wear, more than Whip. I was not expecting to like this so much, but I am keeping my decant for sure.

i get mostly vetiver and vegetal musk at first. it smells like a murky, slightly spicy irish spring soap. it's very traditionally masculine at this point, and i am hoping it doesn't stay this way. after a few minutes i get some coriander and a hint of leather, which gets stronger over time. to me this is irish spring and leather, not really aligning with my tastes, sadly.

I am popping my forum cherry to begin reviewing my collection, starting with my OLLA scents! And this one is my very very favorite, though I find it difficult to describe. I bought it for the patchouli and leather, though all the components are so well-blended it’s hard to detect them individually, at least personally. The result is something surprisingly green and refreshing yet sensual and sexy. I do believe it may be the jasmine adding a bit of sweetness and airiness. It’s an exceedingly complex blend. Swarthy and hazy. Wear it to: a fancy hookah lounge; be fur-wrapped eye candy lounging on a zebra-printed couch in a 70s music studio

I’m surprised it seems to have been a flop for many people! I think the more masculine scents just seem to like my skin chemistry a lot. I have so much perfume I told myself I’d never need a backup bottle of anything, yet here I am, eyeing a second Funnel of Love. I may even try to track down an aged bottle, another thing I committed to not doing. It’s gorgeous, seriously.

I've never been able to make up my mind about this particular scent. It's simultaneously beautiful and nauseating on me, full of both notes I hate and notes I enjoy, and all of them are present. It wavers between something I like to wear, a rich, spicy patch with a backing of red musk and champaca and other good things and a rather indolic jasmine with bitey black pepper and strappy leather. Later drydown (because of course this lasts a long time, of course it does) is mostly woody patch and musk and champaca. Oh, you know what -- ...I smell like going to a club, like, everything about it. The sweat and the way decades of smoke have seeped into the walls, the kind of gross toilets that you don't care about after three or four drinks, the low lights and and close whispers and grinding on the floor with someone you don't know, and they sure are wearing leather pants and that's hot, but also you can practically taste their perfume, which is neat but also a bit much. Nothing's going to come of that dance-that-isn't-really-dancing, but it's pretty intense while you're in the moment. Yeah. Anyway, that's what Funnel of Love is to me. ^___^;;; An experience I don't regret, but would be pressed to say that I really enjoy.