Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
kashmira

Funnel of Love

17-year aged black patchouli, champaca flower, cardamom bud, green coriander, Haitian vetiver, red vegetal musk, black pepper, night-blooming jasmine, and leather.

i have to admit, that when this arrived fresh from the lab a few months ago, i wanted to get rid of it immediately. 

the black pepper was INTENSE.

i could tell there was something really beautiful behind it, though, so i stashed it away and remained sad but slightly hopeful. 

i pulled it out again recently and started getting very curious. it wasn't nearly as harsh anymore, and seemed smoother, much more blended. the black pepper had figured out how to not scream so loudly, and some dark patchouli had come out to play.

i finally gained the courage to try it out today.

this is a heavy scent. it is dark & powerful, moody & sexy.

i can't see myself wearing it all the time, but definitely when i want something really heavy. probably more often a wintertime scent, when im wearing lots of layers, as i'll want something that i can still smell through all my clothes. it is a very comforting smell when i'm in the mood for it, and i could see it bearing some resemblance to The Witch/Strega, though less sweet. 

Edited by rivetted
edited to add the scent notes since i started a new page!

I have a decant of unknown age.

Patchouli is the star of the Funnel of Love show. All of the other notes are back-up singers to help a really smooth, sleek patch shine. The black pepper is a thin gloss on top. The musky leather is a soft and smooth base note. Though this is mostly a dry scent, the champaca lends a little sweetness. The coriander and cardamom are in no way foody; they are warm, a bit green and bitter, and I feel like they are twined around the jasmine (and yes, "feel," because I am not sure I can account for the jasmine).

I agree with a lot of what @rivetted wrote. I initially found Funnel of Love unpleasant, but loved it once I gave it more time on my skin. I have enjoyed this most under layers of winter clothes. It is deep, dark, smooth, and a whole mood.

I wouldn't necessarily call this an everyday scent... but I could see myself wearing it every day. When I was in my early 20s, I wore straight-up patchouli oil from a New Age shop. It was the dank, dirty variety and it was... a lot. This is my grown-up, sophisticated answer to that.

This is incredible. I can't say more than what's already been said. Snake Oil's impossibly sexier older sister. She left the vanilla and ran away from home with that one guy with the motorcycle.

Edited by elissamay

This was my third BPAL fragrance. It has the same core note of sweet, sensual incense or musk as Blood Popsicle, adorned with peppery, lemony notes and earthy patchouli, along with a (not unpleasant) note I would compare to crayon wax. It has good staying power and a beauty reminiscent of Blood Popsicle.

Edited by QueenProserpina
Additions