Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Black amber erupting with a dark volcanic surge of fiery dragon's blood and a burst of melati, rose geranium, mandarin and black currant.

I usually adore anything with dragon's blood in it, but this one was not instant love for me. The geranium was SO sharp in the bottle that I mistakenly thought there was vetiver in this blend.

Once I applied it though, the geranium calmed down and the yummy dragon's blood started taking over. There is a slight floral hint to this that is very curious but not offensive...I guess this is the jasmine. The currant is never a big player here, it just adds to the fruity, warm, red feel of the blend.

After I had this on for a few hours I really started to appreciate it more. It grew on me! But I really think I'd have to be careful about when and where I wear this because it really does radiate a "rage" feeling. I was shopping at a crowded store when I was wearing this and it really wasn't the right thing to be wearing!

All in all, a highly complex and curious blend that turned out to be a winner.

In the imp: Rose geranium topnote :P with a midground of sweetness (mandarn and dragon's blood?) with a dark musky base I think that's the amber and currant... This combo is familiar....

On my neck, wet: true to the imp with a hint more black currant in the top note

drydown: 5 minutes: Oh, amber, and dragon's blood love me, as much as they love each other appearently.... They've melded together into a smooth creamy warm base for the light sweetness of the Rose geranium and mandarin the black currant is turning very "cherry" and rounding out the scent.... Yummi!!! I like this one better on skin than I do on cloth.... The scent that's on my shirt isn't half as lovely as the one on my skin.... Definitely NOT one for a locket... :D :D :D Another 10 ml candidate... Though this scent is powerful a 5 ml might last as long as 10 ml of another blend.

- Miriam

ETA: It's been three hours and rage is pretty much gone..... Not a lot of staying power in this blend but still worth a 10ml bottle

In the vial, all I smell is dragon's blood and geranium.

On me, all it is is baby powder and geranium.

I should just face up to the fact that most amber doesn't work for my skin already.

ETA: On second testing, the amber isn't quite so powdery, and I'm starting to like it after about an hour and a half -- the dragon's blood comes up and plays with the geranium. It's still powdery, but in a sweeter, sexier way.

Edited by pekeana

Rage

It amusing to me how happy and lacking in rage that Rage makes me. :P Upon first crack, I get that big, sweet hit of Dragon's Blood. But then florals start to emerge on the skin. Later it gives way fully, allowing the amber to fully cultivate instead of drowning beneath the DB to a sort of powdery undertone. The florals also add just a lovely dimension to this. I think rage is that sort of bitchready combination of DB and Amber that I was hoping to find in Blood Amber. LOVE IT!

Oddly, Mandarin dominates this scent for me - it is very tart, and I never get the warmth of the amber. It's a pretty scent, but ultimately very light and with very little staying power. Off to swap with ye!

Uhoh...dragon's blood. I must share this with LadyofDarkstar!

In the Bottle: Dragon's blood and a little musk with the rose geranium. Mmmm...

On Me: OOOOH! I can't get my nose off of my wrist! The Rose Geranium in this is subtle, more on the wind than on my wrist, but on the wrist is fruity, cherry-like dragon's blood with a dark musk, a black heart! It makes it sort of charred, burnt, and broken. All around me is life and beauty, but on the wrist is charred and bitter. Too Cool!

I'm not quite certain if I will want to wear this on a normal basis, but I will at least use the imp and then see how things go from there.

In the bottle

Citrussy Jasmine and rose.

Wet

Nice. Rosey. Oh the Jasmine is coming in. Oh God...it's Jasmine without...Vetivert! I never though I'd find a Jasmine scent I'd like. Thus far this is lovely. A sweet floral. Sweet from the dark syrupy purple black currant.

Mandarin lends just a suggestion of sparkly happy citrus.

10 Minutes

More of the warm amber dragons blood is coming through now. There's almost a smoky presence.

20 minutes

sweet currant/ jasmine are primary

rose geranium middle

dragons blood bottom

Throw:

medium-light

Summary

I love this. Great scent for Autumn. And a great scent for those who didn't think they could wear florals.

Scent Genre:

floral/fruity

Purchase again?

Another imp for sure. Possibly a 5ml as a seasonal perfume.

1-5 rating, 5 being best.

3.5-4

freebie from the Lab :P

in vial: warm amber and fruity dragon's blood

wet: the rose geranium starts to come on pretty strong

dry: a floral with a lovely kick...lasts about 6 hours

verdict: very nice...I'm considering a big bottle of this one

Initial Sniff: Ok - I think this one is quite angry in the vial. The resins, fruit and flower somehow combine to form seething passion. :P

Wearing: Dragon's Blood and... black pepper? When wet this is very angry and spicy - to the point where I was almost intimidated by the scent. As it dries the pepper scent goes away and I get a beautiful dragon's blood/amber/musk/currant scent. It did fade rather quickly - a few hours later it is completely gone.

Final Impressions: Beth, in all of her genius, has perfectly captured rage. The hugely passionate red blinding start, the smoldering anger that follows, and ending with the more palatable resentment. I'll have to be in the right mood for this one, but seriously - this is genius and art.

In the vial: VERY sharp and fruity and bitter...this scent has TEETH!

On skin: This is dragon's blood in monstrous form--pulsating, mad, black and red and green-tinged. It is a burning fire without warmth, and though this is very floral it somehow doesn't strike me immediately as so.

I can imagine this as a "dress-up" scent, but not something to be worn normally. This is not a sensual scent, or even "dangerous"--more like downright scary!

This was a bit meh on me. At first it was a really fruity juicy black currant, with a sense of the currant leaves and something spikey behind it, but it dried very rapidly to a kind of earthy mossy fragrance, which then faded all together.

In Bottle: Dragon’s blood, amber and something tart.

On Skin: I think it’s the rose geranium that is the tart note. The Dragon’s Blood and Black amber are strongest for sure, and the mandarin is faint. I’m not sure what melati is, and the currant hasn’t shown itself yet. I love amber scents and this is similar to Blood Amber but lighter, tarter and fainter. A very pretty scent which I instantly like.

Hmm, after trying this one, I have no idea why it's called rage. It seems very sweet, fruity and floral.

In the vial: mmm sweet mixed in with the dragon's blood (which i like very much)

On my skin: about the same until it dried. Then a little more of the dragon's blood scent, but not very strong. I think the fruit and florals mellowed it down.

This scent faded pretty fast on me, but I still like it. I'll just have to put more on.

I love the currant smell, it reminds me of Prague. Then there is the spicy, swirling mix that comes up, like flowers with heady pollen. It's like a storybook painting, vivid spice and sweet berry. I like this scent.

In the bottle: This smells much different from my first Rage imp. It's dragon's blood and something spicy. This is much more rage like than the sweetness of my first one.

First on: Now it's all herbs & generic flowers. It smells like cheap perfume. Weird.

Drydown: Now it's more like my first imp. It's flowers & dragon's blood, with a hint of pepper or something else slightly spicy. Definitely not invoking thoughts of rage, but it's nice.

This blend is just fine. I detect jasmine in it. If you like jasmine, you will probably like this one.

Edited by olympia301

Rating (on skin): 0/5

Summarised in a word or two: Ick.

In the imp/bottle: So far, ick.

On skin, wet: This is a very unhappy scent. Acrid, sharp, biting, though I can't detect any specific notes. I just don't like it.

On skin, dry: This reeks on me. It's sharp and foul, and just pissed off.

Conclusion: No; absolutely not.

Edited by Aredhel

Rage changed very little on me, from wet through the drydown. I could've SWORN there was a touch of vetiver in it... it gives me that 'murky' greenery scent, underneath the dragon's blood and fruity florals. I otherwise had trouble picking out notes, since it's very well blended, but it gave me more of a strong, sexy, don't-mess-with-me feeling than 'rage', per se.

I like it a lot!

Black amber first, likely. Dark, fierce dragon's blood and an almost musk note. I know I've smelled similar, but can't place it. Calms to a fascinating cherry-syrup floral.

In the vial, fruit shading off into something smelling very, very dead. This has me worried. :P

Not to fear though, because once I put it on my skin the dead smell vanishes and the scent explodes into a juicy sweetness of fruits and flowers. It shifts rapidly at first between different fruity and floral notes with elements of smokiness dropping by from time to time until it resolves into fruit underpinned by something dark, hot, and sweet. The amber and the dragon's blood do a tango wearing baskets of ripe fruit on their heads. That is what this scent is, its a passionate tango between two people who are furious with each other but who can't let go.

Slowly the fruit subsides and I'm left with dark, ambery, yumminess. I think this is a little too sweet for me but it has made me resolved to try everything with amber out there because it is just s good.

Rage as no fruit for me. Just amber and Dragon's blood. Amber is fine as long as it's blended with somehting I like. I don't like dragon's blood. To me, this smells lie what a hippie butcher basement would smell like. Hm.

at first: the lab included this as an extra. it just smells acrid to me, unfortunately.

on: wow...the geranium and mandarin are really strong. however, the dragon's blood is holding them together. i'm not getting the black currant. it smells almost ashy to my nose, which makes no sense when i think of the individual notes i'm smelling.

1 hour later: very floral and pretty. a bit sweet, but mostlyl just floral.

2 hours later: this is very pretty, but almost metallic on me right now.

overall: i'm not sure about this one at all. i didn't think i'd like it, but i do. however, i can't see myself reaching for it, so...off it goes.

Even though I hate rose geranium with the passion of a 1,000 angsty Goths, I still tried this blend. Who knows- maybe I wouldn’t notice the geranium and all the other notes would cancel it out. Wishful thinking on my part, eh?

On for not even a second and I had to take it off. The rose geranium turns into baby wipes and I am not liking it. Mandarin and black currant sounded so good, but the geranium showed its evil face and wrecked the party. A definite swap.

:P :D :D

Bottle (Imp): Dragon's blood with something sharp to it.

Just On: More dragon's blood, and less sharp.

An hour or two later: A very nice calm dragon's blood with my skin. Quite animalistic without smelling like dirty animals, as most musks would do.

Around 6 hours: A soft animal.

12 hours: All I smell is me now, so it is gone.

Overall: This is a good sceent. I like it. I don't know if I like it enough for a bottle, but I'm glad I got to try it.

After reading other reviews: The flowers must have been the initial sharp, but it was good after that. No soap from flowers... that's a good thing.

In the bottle, I smell the geranium and mandarin with a hint of fruity-sweetness behind it, which is the dragon's blood, I believe. On my skin, the florals take over and I can barely smell the dragon's blood. It's very clean with a slight spiciness underneath.