Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

RAGE -- Black amber erupting with a dark volcanic surge of fiery dragon's blood and a burst of melati, rose geranium, mandarin and black currant.

Huh. Count me in with those who say this one isn't striking me as particularly red or angry or whatnot. I'm not getting any of the spice, and it's mostly just a soft floral... very generic on my skin, and it's almost faded away after less than an hour. Interesting, I think, but not for me.

Edited by cordia

I kept trying to review this under Deadly Sins and wondering where it was. Rage not Wrath, duh. I'm not taken with the name, as I don't want to feel rage--Whupass, maybe, but not Rage. I avoid people with violent tempers. :P

Anyway, Rage is bright rage-red in the vial; on me, it's actually a pretty low-key fruit blend. Mostly mandarin, but sweeter--like if there was a Mandarin Kool-Aid. I can find the dragon's blood if I really sniff for it, but it doesn't "bloom" the way it does in blends like Tintagel or Dragon's Milk. This is mild and pleasant, so maybe more of an antidote to rage than the feeling itself? (like the way Dirty smells clean)

In the bottle: First off, that imp was REALLY hard to open. Ow. My poor fingers. Okay. Here goes. Kinda fruity. Really strange though. I think I'm really picking up the dragon's blood scent now. I dunno why it reminds me of the taste of the filling of this chocolate I had that made me sick years ago. Oh well. Here goes.

Wet: Dragon's blood straightaway. I have finally pinned the scent. I...I don't know if I like this or hate it. I don't smell any mandarin...Though that may be what's making it smell appealing but the rose geranium is probably what's making it not. ;_; Oh no..help!

Dry: Okay I think I pick up the dark amber...and...that's what's making not like this. Kinda sad coz I thought it could have had potential. Oh well.

Bottle: I get the currant and mandarin right away, hints of the dragon's blood behind.

Wet: more of the dragon's blood behind the currant, the citrus receding.

Dry: none of the geranium, the currant still leading the pack. the sweet of the melati/jasmine is very present, but at least I'm not amping it today. erh.

Later: the amber finally shows itself, and the currant is no longer in such a strong lead. the sweet has lost some of its urgency, but so has the dragon's blood, unfortuantely. it seems unbalanced now, I'm clearly not wearing it as well as it could be worn. alas.

In the Bottle: Weird. There's something *cold* about this. Almost like there's a touch of mint. I smell the resin, and a touch of citrus, then cold.

On Application: Strong geranium, with an undercurrent of citrus, and then that lingering cold scent. After a little bit, I can smell touches of amber, but not as rich as I normally prefer.

On Drydown: Mostly resin and citrus, but unlike the citrus in Fortunato, this citrus is pleasant. There's a base of floral to this.

Comments: It's okay, but nothing I'll wear.

In the imp and initially applied, I can smell mainly geranium. After it's been on for a few minutes, the dragon's blood comes out and I can smell the black amber powder underneath. Geranium always smelled a bit spicy to me, and this is no exception. I don't know what melati is or what it smells like so I can't say how it's adding to the scent, but I'm not picking up mandarin or black currant (which I really enjoy). There could be some jasmine in here, or it could be the natural jasmine-like qualities of the dragon's blood that I'm picking up.

This reminds me of some other BPAL dragon's blood blends, especially Fiery Wall of Protection and a voodoo oil with similar qualities as Fiery Wall.

It's a nice scent, but to my mind, not especially full of rage.

All dragon's blood and spicy rose geranium. I have to agree with others, color aside this doesn't really say rage to me. Maybe a tame flame of anger but not rage. It is a nice spice scent though, kind of masculine.

Initially it kind of smelled like a burnt orange. It's not nearly as dark as I thought it would be, but it smells a little bitter. It's an interesting scent... just not the hot fiery scent I was envisioning. Also it doesn't seem to be very strong. It's ending up smelling kind of floral, but in a farty way. I don't think this one is going to work for me...

Rage - When I think of rage, I think of red-hot fury, seething and surging like the walls of flames in Hell’s inferno. Rage the perfume oil is more like the little fire you built in your fireplace that petered out in the first couple of minutes. This scent was a huge disappointment to me. I expected something more along the lines of Blood – a dragon’s blood resin filled with the fury of swirling, seething spices. Rather, I get a nice dragon’s blood scent that is fruity-floral and pretty and doesn’t remotely live up to its name. It’s a pretty scent, but doesn’t have much throw, although the staying power is good. I’m not sure if I’m going to keep this imp or not. It’s nice in it’s own right, it’s just completely not what I was expecting, based on the name.

Frimp from the Lab :P

I don't get any kind of flowers or much fruit out of this, just mostly resins and spices. It actually does kind of strike me as an 'angry' blend, but in a pleasant, wearable way. It's more like what I expected from Blood when I was new to BPAL. Oh, and the blackcurrant actually behaves itself in this - I couldn't even tell it was there until I read the description, a definite plus. I like this one pretty good, but I don't know about buying a bottle or anything.

Rating: 3.5

I, for one, totally dig this blend. :) I got it as a frimp. I'll agree it doesn't seem very rageful. When I saw it in my order, bright red in the imp, I just thought it was Wrath. I opened it up expecting firey cinnamon, clove and pepper but it was very pleasant. I didn't even remember seeing Rage on the site and I know I never would have ordered it. The jasmine doesn't show up AT ALL on my which is fantastic. Jasmine along with most white florals go crazy on me and make my sinuses act up. None of that here, I tried it on before reading the description and I never would have guessed it had jasmine in it. I mostly got rose, currant, and dragon's blood. Dragon's blood is usually really obnoxious on my skin but this is very nice and quiet. It reminds me of this dragon's blood bath salt I got at the Wharf in San Fran from this cool old man... Not relevant. This blend is perfect for my skin chemistry. :) Rage will defiantly be a 5mL in my next order.

Edited for spelling and: What the, I'm still trying to figure out why I love this so much. Everything about it screams, "HATE ME!" Except for the amber (which I cannot smell) and the currant... Whatever~ I guess "red" scents are just good on me.

Edited by spring heel

Rage-

In Bottle: Oh, very sweet and dark-smelling.

Wet: Cherry, soapy

Dry: This one does take some time to get down to something that I like; something sweet-fruity and pleasant; not a favorite, but certainly nice.

Overall: Conditional but nice after dry-down.

Not as sharp as I expected, and more fruity. It stings the inside of my elbow slightly -- I probably should have thought twice before applying it there, since my skin was acting up across that elbow through most of the past week. Definitely a fiery scent, all the same, and with a darkness that I can’t quite place.

The fruitiness has faded, and now it smells a bit more “perfumey” than expected, which may be the geranium and so forth. (It may also be that I still don’t know what amber smells like.) Right now, I approve of the scent, but I’m worried about the stinging. I hope it doesn’t get much worse.

It’s getting worse. Hrm. This is definitely a serves-me-right moment. Scentwise, it’s still perfumey... but not a pretty perfume -- just a scent with that note that says “perfume”. It is starting to remind me slightly of the aspects of Morgause that I didn’t like, but I can’t figure out why. I think I wanted a sharper scent out of something called “Rage”.

Gave up and washed it off. It never became fully painful, but if I can still sense it stinging after five minutes... forget it.

Hmm...Amber is mostly I get, and nothing else is really making itself known...I get a vague hint of "fruity" and a vague hint of "floral," but nothing in particular, and I'm not really getting much dragon's blood at all to start with (shame - I love dragon's blood), although it does ocme out more and more as it dries.

Why am I the only one who did get a lot of hot, spicy rage out of this one? After reading the reviews I thought it might be mellower than the description said ... but no! It's all dragon's blood, and it's hot and burns my nose like curry ... and it looks like I'm the only person who doesn't want it to be hot and spicy. Oh woe!

Fruity dirty diaper. Ugh. I think I'm narrowing it down to the Dragon's Blood that does NOT do well with me.

I read all these reviews and WANT WHAT YOU HAVE! *sigh*

I love the scent of this on the bottle, before I open it. It's spicy and floral. In the imp it smells very perfumey, almost as if I've smelled it before. On it smells...different each time I sniff it. I rather like it. There's almost a background of spice the the upfront sweetness.

Why am I the only one who did get a lot of hot, spicy rage out of this one?

I got it too! I love amber, and while that and the black currant were the only things I could pick out, I didn't really love this blend. Wearing it made me very agitated. It's anti-relaxation aromatherapy. I can think of a few situations I'd wear this, but not many. If I win the lottery and get to quit my job without needing a reference, this is what I'd wear on my last day to tell the managers that I dislike exactly what their problems are. If I got dumped, I'd totally wear this while dividing the CD collection. For regular life, though, this scent is a definite no on me.

I was nervous about trying this because I thought it might stain my skin (I have very fair skin and this is VERY red) but it didn't. I actually really like it. Not "rage"y at all, but rather a lot of berries. The currant, mandarin and rose come through very strongly for me. The amber comes through slightly, but mostly it's the berries. I like the sweet and heady scent, though I don't know if I'll be ordering a bigger bottle or not.

Frimped! Thank you Labbies :P

Wet: Fruity

Drydown: Mostly the fruitiness of the currant and mandarin, combined with a certain spicyness from the rose geranium - I assume it's that which gives it the spicyness, because on me Dragon's Blood smells like lilac (and is quite invisible in this blend) At least the geranium leaves that I have at home smell spicy-green.

I don't think I can detect any amber, and I have no idea what melati smells like.

I like this, and will wear it on occasion, but it's not extraordinary on me.

In the bottle: Oooh, black currant!

Wet: A good dose of thick fruity black currant, yum! I also get some citrus from the mandarin, and something akin to mint.

Drydown: Rose geranium like whoa, it completely takes over the blend, pushing the lovely black currant into the background. Ah, but it comes back, sweet and sticky, and mingled with the melati, I think. The black amber base makes it smell nearly aquatic to me. I also get tangerine, I think it's intimately mixed with the black currant, giving it a bit of a tangy edge.

Overall: A very complex blend, not really defining rage to me, but very "red" smelling to my nose, from the black currant and the geranium, as well as the dragon's blood. I really like the black currant in this, it's similar to the one in Medea. It's pretty, but rather quiet, not really something I'd see myself wearing.

**RAGE**

OK, Labbies, I can tell you where all the rage has gone - it's right here at my desk! :P

I've tried my imp of this before, and it's been fine - a touch on the sweet side with my skin chemistry, perhaps, but dragon's blood, amber and my skin are happy companions - plus the oil is a gorgeous, carnelian red that makes me smile with its vibrancy.

Except today.

Just going back to work after the lurgy, hormones also playing the merry fandango, shove on some Rage - and YUCK!

The overly-sickly-godawful-teenybopper-bodyspray BERRY has taken over! *RAGES*

Washed what I could off to tone it down, and after a couple of hours at work it's less offensive to my nose, but I am NOT amused. *grumbles*

Anyway, the point of this rant is that Rage does seem to be one that's sensitive to hormonal shifts (or possibly to immune system skullduggery) - so if it didn't work for you first time, it may be worth a second try another time...

(I'll edit and review it properly once it's not being SMUG BERRY on me!)

in the imp and wet: Whoa boy, there's that dragon's blood. Reminds me a lot of Wrath, without the cinnamon overtones.

dry: The currant comes out a bit, and the scent calms down somewhat… the mandarin is just barely floating in the background. This dries down to a rather pleasant skin scent, with just a whiff of dragon's blood peaking out every now and again. Quite interesting, but not earth-stopping for me.

In the vial and immediately on my skin, Rage is one of three scents I have tried that straight-up smells like the medicine amoxicilin (Undertow and Blood Lotus are the other two). I thought this was a lotus problem, but I think that the same effect also occurs when dragon's blood is combined with lots of other sweet notes. Thankfully (because this particular smell makes me sick), this does not last long, and what emerges on the drydown is a very light rose. Definitely off to swaps.