Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Delirium1009

Spun Sugar Spectre Bath Oil

SPUN SUGAR SPECTRE
A web of gleaming, glistening sugar strands!

When I first opened the bottle I was a little nervous as I got a lot of booze (bourbon in particular) with some deep caramel notes and a bit of creamy cotton candy, since I was hoping for a lot more of the latter. Using it in the shower, I get very boozy cotton candy. The scent left on my skin, however, was a rich but very light cotton candy scent that I really love. It goes very well with my favorite cotton candy scents (Boo and Loli.Goth) and leaves my skin lightly fragrant and moisturized. Definitely a keeper!

Note: I prefer to use the bath oils as an after-shower moisturizer, so my review is based on that fact.

At first Spun Sugar Spectre is very similar to Sugar Skull, but when compared side by side, it's not as sweet. It's a white-sugar Sugar Skull, lacking some of the brown sugar as well as the fruit. I think this will age beautifully and it will layer nicely with scents like Sugar Skull, Boo, and any scents that you would like to sweeten up a little without changing them. I was really disappointed that Sugar Skull wasn't back for this year's Halloweenies, but this is a close relative. I am definitely ordering a second bottle!

I also use the bath oils as a post-shower moisturizer. My first sniff of Spun Sugar Spectre in the bottle was straight up OMG SWEET! It was initially just a blast of sugar, but started morphing as I smelled it--deeper than I'd initially thought, and less hectic than pure sugar. On my skin it smells very golden; I kept trying on images and rejecting them...it's like caramel, but neither that dark nor that heavy...like toasted marshmallows, but not exactly marshmallow-y...I was surprised at how many subtle changes it went through before it settled. Now it's a lovely light golden sweet smell that I can tell will go beautifully with lots of different scents--it will obviously complement the standard sweet scents, but I think it'll also enhance spicy scents, and I think it'll add a gorgeous layer to vanilla scents as well. Can hardly wait to find out!

:D

Caramel Cotton Candy! Caramel usually makes me go ACKBURNTSUGAR! but this is very light and airy. There's a fluffy tart lemon note in here upon first application, but mostly it's just caramel cotton candy. I love this, it's such a change from my usual bath oils.

I always use the bath oils as after shower moisturizers. :D

This is wonderful, wonderful sugary sweetness, and reminds me so much of my much-loved Zombie Apocolypse! I am getting the light jammy red fruit and carmelized cotton candy that I get from ZA. Not the exact same, but similar on my skin.

I will need moar.

I'm so happy I bought a bottle of this. It's like bottled cotton candy on my skin. (I haven't used it in a bath just yet.)

If you love sugary candy scents, this one is definitely a must to sample.

SSS smells spectacular in the bottle. It's so bright and sugary, and there's a sparkly fruity note in there too, like lemon. Things start to go wrong in the shower, though. Everything just sort of turns artificial. I can still smell the lemon on my skin. At this point, it is more like a lemon hard candy. The sugar goes a bit off though. It's almost stale. That sucks! I really thought this would be a hardcore winner, especially because it's awesome in the bottle and scents like these normally jive well with my skin chemistry. Aye, what can you do.

I have to agree with Incendiare - SSS is *gorgeous* in the bottle, but I took a bath in it last night and was surprised by how much lemon I got from it. I wish I got boozy cotton candy!

This is lemon candy floss with a hint of caramelized white sugar. Yum!!! But its a light scent and didn't last overly long in either the bath or on my skin. Even so, I really love this scent. :yum:

This smells like Sugar Skull in the bottle, not a good sign. On, there is a bit of a lemon citrus vibe along with brown sugar. It's a bit better on the skin, but still quite a bit like Sugar Skull to me. Glad I only got a decant of this, I was really hoping for cotton candy.

In the bottle I get an almost identical scent to Lemon Sugar by Fresh. I've used it in the bath and as an after shower oil, and the scent has good staying power, but it does change from the bottle and gets deeper and more carmel-y. It's a great one to layer with other sweet scents or light florals.

Note: I use the bath oils as an after-shower/bath lotion.

In the decant: Liquid sugar.

Wet: Now it's becoming lemon sugar.

The dry-down: Getting more and more like Lemon Pledge. :cry2:

ETA: Much further into the dry-down, the lemon note burns away, and just leaves a beautiful sugar scent.

Edited by thekittenkat

I wasn't sure about this one at first, but after trying it for a few days, I'm hooked. Sugar usually works well with my skin chemistry, so it's pure win. Leaves a nice light scent that lasts all day!

I didn't get booze or burnt out of this at all: just pure sugar.

This isn't quite the sugary note I was expecting, but I wasn't disappointed either. I bought it last year and then saved it for a very, very special occasion at the start of February, so I had a lot pinned on it really. I put quite a bit in the bath because it was a special day and I could still smell it on myself by the time I went to bed... and the same the following morning! It compliments some of my favourite perfume oil blends incredibly well (Boo in particular, the older the better) and I have used it since I opened the bottle as a layering note on more than one occasion. Also, the label art is so cute! :wub2:

I was so excited for this, I ordered 2 bottles unsniffed. When they arrived, I dabbed some on immediately and got a burnt-sugar scent reminding me of the B&BW vanilla soap. I wasn't really into it, but I stuck it in the shower anyway and I'm glad I did. In the bath/shower, the burnt bit is less apparent and is instead more lemon-sugary. The scent doesn't last as long that way, but it's much more pleasant to my nose. On its own, SSS isn't a favorite scent of mine, but it's a good base for the supersweet/foody scents I like, and the moisturizing properties are great.

This smells almost exactly like Boo on my skin. I use it as an after-shower moisturizer, and once it's settled down I get the same sugary, cottony scent that Boo has. It'll be nice for layering with vanillas or just for evenings when I don't want a heavy scent, because while it is super, super sweet, it's less concentrated than the perfume oil and fades down to just a veil of vanilla fluff.

This is delicious. It kind of smells like caramelized sugar to me...very nice - sweet sugar with a bit of charred undertone. I've never smelled Sugar Skull, but if any of the years are like this, I would love a bottle LOL.

White sugar, lemon sugar, hint of brown sugar, hint of plastic.

There's a vanilla here that does not play well with my skin.

HURRAY! I dodged a bullet!

I use all the bath oils as in-shower moisturizers. This one starts out as a deep dark caramel when I first apply it in the shower. Then after I rinse it off, it morphs into this amazing lemon scent. It's dewy and musky and sugary lemon. Almost like Dorian but with no tea. Very nice surprise! Biggest scent morph I have ever encountered.

This definitely is a cousin of Sugar Skull in the bottle, minus some jam and brown sugar. I didn't get much of the lemon mentioned upthread - maybe aging has toned it down somewhat.

It's a lovely texture in the bath. My skin felt extremely soft all day (I took the bath last night.) However, mental note not to dunk my entire scalp underwater - I did shampoo but I didn't get all the oil out, so I look like I have rather greasy locks today. I'll have to wash my hair again well tonight.

I smell the cooked sugar note from sugar skull. This smells sweeter than sugar skull, but wearable, cooked sugar, but not burnt. There is subtle fruitiness and muskiness that I can't identify but it makes this scent complex and not just sweet.

I just used my beloved Spun Spectre oil as a after shower moisturizer and ohw gosh ...

This IS pure cotton candy :twisted:

It is even more sweet if you don't pour it into the bath tub ghehe

I don't have one now so I am experiencing ALL of my TP oils as moisturizers !!!

This is my absolute favorite bath oil because it is one of the most neutral ones I own. It really does just smell like sugar, and maybe a hint of lemon. I feel like I can use this (sparingly) and go to work in my fragrances-are-prohibited workplace. I can wear just about any of my oils over it and they don't clash with the smell. In short, it is perfect for everyday use and it smells amazing too. I wish I had 10 more bottles.