Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
FallDaze

June Gloom 2009

Bright summer flowers, fresh herbs, and a bit of citrus rind dampened by the scent of morning mist and rain.

Imp: Sweet citrus flowers in the rain!

Wet: So pretty! The citrus isn't overpowering the flowers and the watery notes just add sweetness.

Drydown: Amazingly soft and gentle for hot summer days. The misty notes and citrus are just right over the the light flowers ans sweet herbs.

Overall: LOVE. Looks like I need to join the back-order army for a bottle of this since I'm NOT letting it pass me by.

On me, this is soapy yellow flowers. It's quite rich and sweet, and I do get the slight tinge of rain but not so much the citrus... it's really soapy yellow flowers. Almost like a baby shampoo smell, which is nice and all but not for me.

June Gloom is a stereotypical floral fragrance. It's light and feminine and smells like something my mom would wear.

I got a decant because I wasn't sure of the florals and "mist". Turns out to be a good decision. The first thing I smell is strong gardenia, and nothing much else. Half an hour later, it's still a creamy gardenia. I get a very vague aquatic, but not what I would consider overwhelmingly so. This blend reminds me of a perfume my mom used to wear in the late 70's, and damned if I can remember it! So for a plus, this reminds me of my mom, and I may pass this imp off to her. It also reminds me a lot of Tiki Queen and Tissue, so if you like those two, you may like this one. For now, I think this and Tissue is going to my mom!

I don't know why but on me this one smells a bit beachy in the background with light florals on top.

Very pretty and light. It's not an "In your face" floral (on me that is). If you like Bobbie Brown's "Beach" then you may like this.

Okay, so the misty flowers totally don't work for me. The citrus and the misty flowers combine to smell like some sort of industrial cleanser on wet, and as it dries, the misty part turns musty. And kinda like... naphthalene. So... yeah. PASS.

June Gloom is much more bright and cheery than the name would suggest! I smell mostly flowers, and I find myself thinking of Midnight On The Midway, without the incense notes that I like a lot in that scent. There's something marshmallowy and sweet about June Gloom, and after a while, there is also a papery note that comes out. It's subtle but I can't deny it, and I am not a huge fan of papery scents. Overall, this is probably not really my thing, but it's not offensive by any means. The reviews for the old June Gloom mention a lot more lemon, and that would probably be more to my liking.

June Gloom '04 was strong lemon and soapy floral on me, sort of like lemon & wet laundry. The citrus isn't as aggressive here and the whole blend seems softer than the 04 version. It smells like clean, wet, perfumey floral and a little touch of sunny citrus. It's a little bit soapy-clean on me at first. After a half hour or so, it just smells like traditional, generic white floral-y perfume. A clean, springy, sharp sort of floral, and definitely not for me.

I've been wearing June Gloom today to keep the Southern California sun at bay.

It's been a nice month with clouds. It seems, it will get sunny again. Sniff.

Anyway, this is a great blend to wear on such days, sunny or not. It is fresh and vibrant, starting off on my skin as a airy floral, light fruits and ozone and ends up soapy but still rainy and clean. Like a mist of rain, much like what we get here in Southern California. It's like a scent poem of what it does out here weatherwise. I enjoy that it is more of a complex clean, if that can be understood. I mean, in this area, the mist comes and a lot of the nightblooming flowers bloom, thinking it is night because the clouds are out. I think if it was more lemony, I wouldn't like it as much. I think lemon would throw it off more than make it clean.

The initial phase of the perfume doesn't last long on me, maybe an hour or two. The second soapy phase lasts a few hours longer. It has a nice throw, but I wish the initial notes would last longer. Even so, the perfume oil smells very clean and refreshing.

I wouldn't buy a second bottle, but I really like this bottle and will use it up. My boyfriend loves scents like this, so this is one I can wear to sleep that isn't too overly strong. It's win win. I like the artwork on the bottle too, though I do believe it is public domain. But I often don't like the artwork on the bottles...so that is a win too. This one is really nice, bottle art and oil.

Edited by Madame Nyx

This started out as one of my favorite floral blends of all time, which is saying alot since I'm not a big floral gal. I got mist-covered lilac blossoms on a humid, overcast day. Freakin' awesome. Then it all went wrong :( The flowers amped to critical mass, a powdery deoderant note came along for the ride and it turned into a GAP lotion smell. Damn it!! I'll try scent-locketing this one, because it was so perfect before my skin chemistry botched it.

Here in Portland we've got the real article. Rainy and 64, baby, you know it. I have an assistant this time, No1 Daughter. Also Floppy BPAL Sniffing Dog. Yes, the dog now comes up to me and insists on sniffing the bottles.

In the bottle:

No1: "Lilacs and rain. A sorta peppery lemon after-smell."

Me: Aquatic lavender and lilies. Way, way in the back a tiny bit of citrus, but this smells mostly like aquatic flowers.

Floppy Dog: *snurf*

Wet:

No1: "Pretty much the same, but more of the citrus and lilacs."

Me: Definitely more citrus and herbs, with the aquatics/flowers underneath.

Floppy Dog: *sniff sniff sniff* *licking chops* *snort*

Dry:

No1: "Way more lilacs. The rain is more pronounced. Citrus has gone back into its hole."

Me: Gardenia now, which doesn't do well on me. The herbs have retreated, but the citrus is still there a little.

Floppy Dog: *snore*

Conclusion: I don't care for it. I think the bottle will go to No1 Daughter, who says, "I love it!" This is not a scent for slathering. In fact, I may decant an imp's worth into a roller bottle for No1 to cut down on slathering potential. Floppy Dog doesn't care one way or another.

I tend to avoid all lemon/lime/citrus scents. I was a little apprehensive to try June Gloom 2009 but I took a chance after reading the reviews.

Thank Goddess I did!!! I love love gardenia scents & this is what I smell when applied. That & wildflowers. It's gorgeous on me! This is what I imagine walking through a field of wildflowers smells like.

Scents tend to linger on my skin. I dabbed a bit on my wrist last night right before I went to bed & I can still smell it on my skin eight hours later.

This is a keeper for sure! :wub2:

I didn't expect June Gloom to be so perfumey and floral, but I am thrilled I took a chance. I thought this was going to be all citrus and slightly aquatic, and while it is aquatic, it is also fresh summer flowers blowing in the wind. I can barely detect fresh herbs, but I think what they do here is temper the floral explosion.

I was so excited to recieve this bottle! It sounded so wonderful, and as I'm NOT a hot weather person I look forward to random cool days. Makes ya wonder what the hell I'm doing in So. Cal.

In the bottle I smelled soft sort of creamy florals mixed with an early morning misty soft rain on concrete, very promising.......

Then It hit my skin, I don't really get a lemon smell so much as a sour aquatic.

At the dry down, I smell like I doused myself in spray deodorant, no flowers, no lemon, no early morning walk with the dogs just sour ozone.

I really wanted to like this but It just isn't working on me. I love florals, but I think I need something to ground them.

In the bottle, June Gloom smelled like rain with a touch of flowers. On my skin, the flowers were very strong...and I couldn't pick out individual notes, but I swear I caught a whiff of lilac. The floral calmed a bit as it dried, and I could smell the rain again. A few hours later, the citrus decided to come out and play! I was relieved that it was a tangy, tart citrus and not a sweet and sugary one. I am glad I have a big bottle of this, because it is definitely a scent I will wear again! Perfect for summer! B)

Yes, I definitely get the rain/aquatic note, but then the flowers come out to play. I get white flowers from it - I wish it were a bit more complex - but it's nice!

In bottle: light white floral

On skin: honeyed flowers

Half-hour later: sparkly ozone over the flowers, light and pretty

In conclusion: I was pleasantly surprised with this one as the ozone, instead of going soapy, became very blue-beachy. Maybe this was wishful thinking, as I grew up near the beach in SoCal and loved the cool, overcast days of June Swoon. Glad I ordered a bottle!

In the bottle: Various early summer flowers, some aquatics, and a hint of citrus.

Wet: The aquatic note is the strongest. But that wonderful citrus note is lurking in the background, and ready to pounce. Don't worry, the flowers are still present as a middle note.

The dry-down: Lots of florals (maybe daisies, roses, maybe wildflowers, and anything else floral that might grow by the side of the road in SoCal), but with a gentle rain dancing among the petals and the leaves and stems. Not sure what the citrus is, as it could be several of the fruits--I'm getting orange and lemon for certain, but not sure of any other citrus rind. Fresh herbs--those might be what's giving this a touch of sweetness--again I wish I knew for certain.

For those of you who didn't like the old June Gloom, don't worry. At the June SEWC, some of us did a side-by-side sniff and test of old and new June Gloom (I brought my bottle of the later from home, since there wasn't going to be any June Gloom bottles for sale, and TrailerTrashPrincess brought a decant of the original). The original is lemon, lemon, and then some more lemon, veering close to Lemon Pledge. The new version is nothing like, just those fresh florals with a little bit of water on them, and a slight citrus hint. June Gloom 09 is very lovely. And it should get more love.

Edited by thekittenkat

Accck! This started out all bright florals and freshness and turned to the soap from hell. It is making my sinuses block, my nose wants to run for the hills and somewhere in my head is one hell of a sneeze waiting to be released.

In the bottle, this is mostly aquatic notes and florals with a little bit of citrus -- fresher and cleaner than stereotypical florals. It actually reminds me a *lot* of a perfume oil Urban Decay used to make that I was completely in love with, though I remember that perfume being a little heavier on the citrus and aquatic notes. In any case, the similarity had me excited. Unfortunately, June Gloom gets a bit powdery on me as it dries down, and the floral notes ramp up quite a bit. It's not a dealbreaker, but I definitely prefer how it smells in the bottle (maybe this'll help me justify getting a scent locket). Still hasn't stopped me from using it as my go-to scent for most of the summer. I'd say this is perfect for anyone who wants to try something citrusy without having to smell like lemon Pledge.

In vial: a soft, damp floral with a hint of lemon. Very nice so far!

Wet on skin: preeeetttyyyyy! Is there lavender here? Honeysuckle? Lilac? It smells like real, fresh flowers. Yes, I think there's lilac. Where did the lemon go? This is probably too floral for me to wear, though. The dampness has evaporated off already, like dew on a hot June day.

Dry on skin: a fresh, juicy, sweet floral - very pretty and innocent. I was hoping for more rain and citrus and less lilac, though.

Bottle: smells like Avon’s old White Hawaiian Ginger at first sniff

Wet on Me: yup. Summer alrighty. Summer flowers and humidty. I get the fresh greenness of the herbs in the background.

Drying down: This is a warm hot summer’s evening..the sun is just starting to set and the ful black of the night sky has not been reached yet. Warm, lovely, heady but not overpowering.

Dry: I get sunset more than morning with this scent. I smell the intoxicating flowers, and the green of the herbs. I never really got the citrus but that is okay since the rest of this is supremely lovely.

in the bottle: perfume. As in department store perfume. There are a bunch of flowers in there, but I can't differentiate any of them.

on the wrist: oh, that's better. I get the herbs and a little bit of zest, though it smells to me more like lime than orange or lemon. Also just the slightest aquatic touch, mingled with a green that isn't *quite* grass. Thr throw is completely floral, though I don't get *any* flowers close up.

half an hour: this has gone metallic, with floral. The citrus and to a lesser extent the aquatic have bvanished. IT now smells a bit like the poor cousin of a cross between Pool of Tears and Kataniya.

Nope. It doesn't get rid of the metallic overkill. How disappointing. Into the swaps.

I was really looking forward to this one, the description made it sound quite yummy and fresh, but I was a bit disappointed.

In the bottle and on the skin I was hit with a fantastic blast of gardenia and frangipani. It toned down pretty quickly to a more subtle generic floral and sweet .... something I couldn't quite put my finger on.

As I went back for another sniff about 20 minutes later I couldn't find it. Anywhere. I gave my wrist to someone else to sniff, to make sure I hadn't become so used to it that I couldn't smell it, but they couldn't detect anything either.

So, NO lasting power on my skin, which is disappointing. I will try it in a scent locket though to see if it's just my skin that kills it, so I can't give it a thumbs down - I'll stick with a neutral, could take it or leave it sort of opinion.

In the vial: The bottle it tinted, so I can’t tell the exact color of the oil. It’s very pale, though, almost transparent. In the bottle, the scent is bright and faintly green, like fresh spices, rather than dried ones. It might be the herbs, it might be the flowers, I couldn’t say. There’s a faint tinge of citrus – maybe lemon, maybe grapefruit, but not orange or tangerine. Doesn’t smell much like lime, either.

I’m smelling a few light florals, but nothing I recognize. They’re not my strong suit, so I could simply be missing them.

On me: (Applied to inner wrists.) Wet on my skin, the green scent is much stronger. It’s not a cut-grass scent, but it’s a bright herbal note.

Dry, the herbal note is still there. It’s not a harsh smell – it’s clear, perfumey and pleasant. The floral is faint, but still there. I don’t smell the citrus any more, which is a bummer.

After a while: It’s been several hours and I’ve washed my hands once or twice. June Gloom is still present, though very gentle. It’s faded enough that picking out individual notes is difficult. Guessing, based on the description of the perfume, I’d say that there’s the ghosts of some of the herbs and a floral or two still hanging around – pleasant and gentle.

Verdict: I wanted more of a monsoon than a string rain, but June Gloom is bright, fluttery scent and I’m happy to have it. It’s a good summer perfume.

Edited by Dominique