Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Thick Turkish coffee spiked with whiskey, with a little bit of mocha to soften the bitterness.

In the bottle: coffee, cream, and mocha chocolate

Wet on the skin: Mocha Latte :D

Drydown: Still Mocha Latte, but now I can smell a bit of the booziness from the whiskey. Still the whiskey is a very minor note for me.

A very yummy scent to wear, especially in the morning. :P

I smell coffee and a bit of creamy dark chocolate - and not creamy in the milky sense because it does smell quite dark and delicious, but it doesn't have any of that artificial chocolate coco scent to it if you know what i mean. very rich and wonderful. i don't smell whiskey so it must be very well integrated. just up-front amazing, i'd say this my favorite inqisition blend this year :P

I can't believe that this isn't getting more love. This is the most coffee-ing coffee scent that ever did coff. Seriously. It makes Misk U look like a few drops of spilled coffee on a library floor and Pinched with Four Aces is totally just Folger's Crystals and cigarette butts in comparison.

This scent takes me back to Christmas in Germany. There are a lot of Turkish immigrants in Germany running cafes that serve Turkish coffee. I've only had it once, and this is an absolutely perfect representation. It's thick and *just* barely sweet. I am not getting any booziness or harshness from this at all.

I smell absolutely delicious. This is one of those oils. I will never get tired of this and I am willing to bet that when I leave the house today, I will turn heads with my deliciousness.

In the bottle this smells like coffee with just a hint of chocolate.

Wet. coffee with a bit more cocolate and maybe a splash of rum.

On drydown a cramy mocha latte.

The cream note seems to last forever on me.

:P

This is freaking amazing. I love the smell of deep, rich, dark coffee. That's what Bah is, with just a dash of creamy chocolate a la El Dia De Reyes. It's very subtly blended in, and I don't catch much in the way of whiskey. If you love coffee and/or the fragrance of it, this is going to be killer for you. Amazing stuff, peeps.

Thanks to a lovely swapper, I got a chance to try Bah today. I was sure I was going to love it and was willing to swap my first born (Havisham) for some of it.

Oy...thank goodness no one took me up on my offer.

In the bottle it smells delicious. Like those Coffee-Nips I used to enjoy as a child. A dash of sweetness, but mostly coffee, coffee.

Wet, it smelled the same. Oh yum. It was such a deep, dark roast. Rich.

By the time it dried, my wrist stopped smelling like deep coffee and turned into the can that holds the coffee. Tinny nasty bitterness. Like some old, nicotine-addicted yellow-toothed guy who lives on coffee and smokes and wants to kiss you. ICK!

I am fighting the urge to wash it off, hoping (so far vainly) that it will morph into its earlier stages.

This is no longer on my ISO list :P

But keep in mind that my skin is weird and in no way indicates that Bah will turn into disgusting breath guy on you.

This is the coffee scent I was searching for, I don`t get the whiskey but the moka and a dash of cocoa transforms it in a delicious cafellatte royal that sweetens more and more with time. it makes you want to drink coffee for sure. Lovely.

Rich, bitter, dark coffee, with whisky. This is so dark it is almost too dark, except for that little bit of sweetness that pulls it back from the edge. It has enough throw that the barista at the coffeehouse could smell it clearly enough across the counter to complement the scent.

The very first unsolicited complement I have gotten, and it was a coffee scent in a coffeehouse?

This really isn't a bit like Winter of Our Discontent in any note whatsoever, EXCEPT THAT it is the complex bitterness with just enough sweetness to be wearable that I really seem to love about both scents.

This also lasts all day long. It doesn't change much over the course of the day, except to lose a bit of throw and maybe possibly get a bit less complex smelling. Maybe the whisky ran out, but, the coffee is still very much there.

I have a friend that this would be perfect for. Unfortunately, I dont' think he's getting any of it.

In the bottle: Woah there! Coffee! It almost smells like someone spiked it with Bailey's Irish Cream!! :yum: No chocolate.

Wet on skin: Deep dark black black coffee. Bailey's smell receding. Chocolate coming out.

Dry on skin: Black, almost bitter, coffee. Chocolate - very dry and dusty chocolate, similar to Gelt. Hm. Might have to let this age and try it again during a different time on my cycle.

My BPAL disappointment of 2008 seriously :( I am so sad about this - after Pinched, I was hoping for another coffee scent and then BAM! Along comes Bah! It sounded perfect for me. Alas, it was not.

I have seen people say that something smells like cat pee on them so many times on this forum. But I have never experienced that for myself (really, I've never had a BPAL smell like that - maybe something didn't jive with my chemistry, but nothing that extreme). But this was it for me - my first cat pee reaction. It smells like my cat box (acrid!) and week old, bitter coffee grounds. It's unfortunately awful on me :(

Ah well, you win some you lose some - I was just REALLY rooting for Bah! ;_; *makes herself a cup of coffee and weeps over it*

In bottle: rich, black espresso (bitter, very bitter) and deep mocha.

Wet on skin: HOLY CANOLI! THIS SMELLS LIKE A VERY BOOZY BLACK RUSSIAN. Luckily, after a few seconds, the booze note dies down and I get a rich, bitter espresso with just the TINIEST hint of mocha. Thank god, because I don't like chocolate smells on my skin.

Basically, I love this! It's really sexy and, well, it's coffee. how could you go wrong?

I'm surprised at how much I actually like this scent. I'm usually not happy with coffee scents and I hate whiskey, but I don't smell any whiskey in this. In the bottle, this smells like coffee the way my father always liked it - coffee overloaded with milk and sugar. It brings me right back to being younger and making him cups of coffee.

At first on my skin, this isn't so great. It starts off with a bitter, burnt, black coffee sort of smell, with hints of foodie sweetness. In the drydown, this starts to smell really creamy and wonderful on me, though. It reminds me of mocha truffles that I had once. The staying power is really great, and I love that this is mostly creamy chocolate on me :yum:

My boy hates this, but he dislikes coffee and sweet scents. He didn't pick up the coffee too much in this but thought that it smelled like sickly sweet caramel in the bottle and burnt white chocolate on me. My nose thankfully likes this a lot more than my boy's nose does, lol.

I'll definitely keep my bottle, and just wear this when my boy isn't home. I like that it reminds me of my dad, and then morphs into a comforting chocolate fragrance...

Ohhh man, this scent is AMAZING. It smells just like I hoped it would! Wet, it is deep, rich mocha-- cocoa and coffe, though heavier on the coffee. As it dries down, it gets creamier but still just as delicious. I don't get any whiskey from Bah, just the chocolate and coffee. I had left one of my Inquisitions up to chance, asking for either one of the Bah Humbug scents. I'm so glad that this was the one I ended up getting!

Mmm, in the bottle this reminds me a lot of Misk U but on my skin a great dry coffee bean scent comes through. This has no hint of bitterness in it at all that you'd expect from a coffee bean smell though. The mocha reminds me of cinnamon coffee cake, a lot like the coffee-cinnamon-chocolate blend of El Dia de Reyes. I even get a hint of the whiskey, but it's not a boozy scent. It smells like one of those dessert coffees I like to drink after a special dinner.

I'm kind of in love with this scent. I want my apartment to smell like this, but I'm not sure I'll wear it myself all that much since I'm not really a foodie. I do see myself taking the bottle out often and just huffing it for fun though, like I do with my El Dia de Reyes decant.

Sniffed in imp: Extremely pale yellow. Sweet, flavoured coffee; reminds me of walking into a Dunkin Donuts. Mocha is distinct but light, and if I strain I get a wisp of whiskey. Creamy.

Wet: Super strong flavoured coffee, with a bitter edge. Still very creamy but less sickeningly sweet. The whiskey is definitely minor, though I do thing it adds a certain 'tang'. A bit more mocha-chocolatey, and I get a faint hint of spice.

Dry: The coffee goes stale as coffee does usually on my skin, so that this reminds me a lot of Egg Nog Latte, although this has way more throw. All the boozey whiskey is completely gone. Still mild spice and mocha notes.

Later: Final dry down is butter & stale coffee. Great throw & longevity, unlike ENL.

I don't like foody stuff and I hate flavoured coffee. :\

Edited by fairnymph

This one is indeed bitter coffee with a shot of cocoa... and for me I think the whisky makes this blend a little buttery.

It's too bitter for me, but I imagine a nice sweet vanilla would do wonders for this blend! *plot plot*

Oh, I was happy to get this. Licorice is not my friend. Coffee is another story.

Bottle: Oh. Oh, my. The coffee is thick and heady, with a real oomph to it. It's a rich bit of cappucino. There's a touch of sweetness, but it's more as if a pinch of cocoa fell in, rather than this being a proper mocha.

Wet: Hmm. The smell fades rather fast while it's damp. Honestly, I'm barely getting anything beyond a faint suggestion of coffee, with my nose right near my wrist. Perhaps my skin eats it too fast? Let's try a bit more.

Re-wet: Ah. There we go. It's perking out a bit more, but still close to the skin, after rather a heavy wipe. On a side note, the q-tip isn't much stronger, and it's still damp. I'm thinking of how a coffee truffle would smell from far away. Whatever the whiskey might smell like to other people, I got nothing. My skin normally picks up booze and wine notes. Here, it just makes the coffee dry.

Dry: How sad. This seems to be one of those oils my skin just eats up. I can smell it, like I spilled a mocha across my wrist and the aroma lingers. It's a lovely espresso, but it's so faint.

Ah well. I have a friend hoping for it, so she'll be pleased.

I finally realized what this smells like: the Fresh Market! It's EXACTLY like walking past the flavored coffee barrels. (But that's when wet. Once dry, it's like walking past the regular coffee aisle, and just catching an occasional whiff of the flavored ones.)

As another point of comparison, this is kind of the delicious love child of Miskatonic U and El Dia de Reyes. The dark bitter coffee of El Dia and the sweet, boozy cream of Miskatonic, and just a hint of chocolate.

The bitter, dark coffee is first and foremost in the blend. Wet, it's very boozy and sweet, and a little bit creamy, but as it dries, it seems to become a bit darker and drier. Instead of Irish Creme, it turns to straight whiskey. Some of the initial creaminess may also be coming from the chocolate note, which is similar to El Dia. Once dry, the chocolate doesn't call attention to itself. I don't think I could pick it out if I didn't know it was here, because it blends with the coffee quality so well. As the note description says, it just softens the edge of the coffee.

Once totally dry, this is as close to a pure, black coffee scent as I've experienced in BPAL. It's very strong, too. I got a tiny drop on my finger and it's wafting with gusto.

Edited by naeelah

In the bottle – Sweet, thick, creamy coffee. I really hope that this doesn’t turn to dust on me

Wet on me – Again the super sweet coffee, with just a hint of wafers

Dry on me – Aggggh! Sweet, creamy coffee to dry dusty ashes in 10 seconds flat. When the ashes do fade (after about 8 hours) it returns to a warm condensed milk and coffee scent

Overall – I love the scent in the bottle and in the very end of the dry down, but the central passage just kills it for me

thanks to the eternally lovely BookAndBroom i am able to finally review this treat that i have been dying to try...:D

in the bottle: milky coffee- this reminds of of those hard coffee candies that i used to be able to find everywhere but are much harder to track down these days. :yum:

wet on skin: lordy- more of the same. this is SOOOOO good! :thud:

dry down: the coffee has settled a bit and that sugar wafer smell that someone mentioned has come to the fore. now instead of a cup of coffee, i smell like a coffee and snack combo! :lol:

in all: although the throw starts out high, it settles after dry down and becomes average. the scent morphs enough that it's quite different both from Coffee Bean SN as well as other mixed coffee scents like Miskatonic U and Pinched With 4 Aces. the coffee is still a presence, but as i said, it's like having a treat WITH the yummy coffee together. Total. Love.

:wub:

In the imp....thick dark coffee...almost burnt to the nose...but not quite. It smells like fresh ground and brewed cappucino.

Drydown....no whiskey :joy: but dark coffee nonetheless. This smells like the coffee I would drink to study for finals. Dark, black, with a hint of sweetness. :yum: I am so glad that I Got to try this!!!

GirlinDenial gave me a sniffie of this. :wub2: I never would have thought to try it on my own, but I'm glad I got the chance to now.

In the imp: Coffee and booze.

On my skin: Still coffee, still booze! This is the lovescent of Starbucks and a liquor store. It smells like an alcoholic drink served with whipped cream and cinnamon. Mmm.

Pretty much a dead ringer for Arcana's Caffeinated Death on me, which is a RELIEF, because I've got a whole bottle of stuff. On, this is delicious whiskey-spiked gourmet coffee and not much else. I don't get any chocolate, except for maybe the smallest hint of cocoa during the dry down. Wonderful.