Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
filigree_shadow

Irrelevant and Disturbing Surreal Crawdad Dream

An irrelevant, disturbing, and surreal scent: red currant, green tea, red musk, Hawaiian ginger, benzoin, vanilla, coriander, squash blossom, and blueberry.

I'm getting ginger, tea, currant, and maybe the musk. On my skin, it's primarily ginger, musk, and tea. Not quite sure if I like this. Mostly ginger and musk on me, going to try a wider test.

In the bottle: Blueberries galore!

Wet on the skin: Blueberry currant tea, with the tea note taking over. I think I can spot a little bit of the coriander too, but none of the red musk, which is odd for me.

Drydown: Honeyed blueberry tea with a hint of ginger. After several hours this goes into some sort of brown sugar scent on me. I think it's the honey/ginger/tea combo. It's lovely and I'm so glad I hunted down a bottle. :)

Initial sniff from bottle: For me the strongest note wafting out is the red currant; it’s tart and behind it I believe it’s some sort of sweetness which I will assume is the vanilla and/or benzoin. Not getting any of the other notes. I like the sharpness of the currant with the undercurrent of sweetnes..it’s bracing.

Applied wet on skin: Tart currant and yes the blueberry…it’s the two if them with the green tea and a wisp of ginger..it smells fruity but not cloyingly sweet..

Couple of minutes on skin: The fruit punch has softened..and I’m getting more of the vanilla/ginger/benzoin. I detect a “freshness” on the back end and I’m thinking that’s the coriander. Still enjoying this immensely. Not sure I register the red musk which is odd because I usually can pick that out from the get-go.

Ten minutes later: Red musk has moved a bit to the forefront but the aura of the fruit creates a lovely veil over it with the sweetness of the vanilla/benzoin. Green tea and ginger are very muted and are in the back as wisps.

30 min later: It’s all now just musk and sweetness..but the throw around me is still that bracing fruit..I really enjoy this blend.

The throw on this is impressive and lasting power is good-6+hours.

Bottom Line: I think I really like this because for some reason it kind of reminds me in feel a bit of Hungry Ghost Moon..it’s that heady ginger/vanilla/tea mix shot through with the sharp fruit that makes this so appealing to me. The coriander added a bit of freshness and the musk gives it longevity. I’m not a huge fan of fruity scents but this one really works for me so I’m keeping it and loving it. I like to wear it when I want to embrace the pretty/girly side of me. I also think this would work quite nicely in summer.

:::IRRELEVANT AND DISTRUBING SURREAL CRAWDAD DREAM:::

... It's Uranulday, Septembruary 32nd, and things seem, well, different. You go to languidly stretch your claws and are immediately seized with pangs of regret... You'll never look at a 7-string oboe the same again! The fact that your feelers are still so swollen from elevation sickness has you feeling extraordinarily cross...You slip on your riding boots, sit astride your riverstone, then dig in your spurs, skipping along the sun-dappled surface, course set for the setting sun in the south...You must be wary; here, the Green-Man waits with his nets when he's not stroking his enormous...er...zucchini. Here, gigantic, pink-candyfloss bears with candy-corn claws lurk for the first opportunity to snatch up wayward crayfish, carry them back to their nest and cook them in a hula-hoop...

Ok, this fragrance is certainly disturbing AND surreal. Were it not for the potency of the blend, irrelevance might make a little more sense.

The Currants and Pikake factor together to form a flaming figment... It fills the head with molten magenta pigment to match the Crawdad's on the label... Neat!

The Green Tea and Corriander makes this one wet and refreshing! This is aquatic, yet not your Ozoney type of aquatic... More of an oasis... A wilder body of water by which to lay back, cloudburst, and wile away the hours.

On the skin: Starstruck! Experience has long since proven not to underestimate the range of the oils put out by Black Phoenix Alchemy Labs to morph, but Irrelevant and Disturbing Surreal Crawdad Dream is ridiculous! The Zucchini Blossom in this pops bigtime!

This is very remniscent of The Sea Foams Blood in a sense, which, of course, emphasizes the aquatic aspect in a huge way! Deliriously fantastic!

These Zucchini blossoms are otherworldly gold, trumpeting, openthroated wonders that evoke worship from hives! There is almost bee-pollen sweetness here, too! Remarkable and gorgeous stuff! It is actually nearly impossible not to imagine a large-scale fantasy setting with Irrelevant and Disturbing Surreal Crawdad Dream; picture Fauns and Wood-Nymphs cavorting in the spray of waterfall pausing only to raise their cups to honor the prowess of that riverbank rapscallion.

After this has had some time to mellow, Irrelevant and Disturbing Surreal Crawdad Dream gets very sweet... Bordering on something quite like a tempting dessert.

This is a wonderful unisex fragrance!

4.89 out of 5.

BLUEBERRY KAPOWWWW!

Blue goo suckerpunch.

There isn't a lot that I can add to this review party except that I get a LOT of coriander on my skin throughout. It's almost enough to put me off but it does calm down when it goes from Blueberry pie-filling to just a warm spiced blueberry. This isn't your everyday fruit scent; it's wacky and unpredictable. It seems from the reviews that everyone gets blueberry + one of the other notes. It's like blueberry russian roulette. I bit disappointed mine was coriander, not vanilla or something awesome, but I'm happy enough with the blueberry POP! that I'll be keeping this.

(8/10)

In the bottle: an interesting mix of fresh and fruity, kind of like fruit juice mixed with tea. (Mmm! :yum:)

On: This ceases to be a fruity tea and becomes something else... there's a little spice and it's still sweet, but I can't detect any of the blueberries. There's a note here that disagrees with my nose--at first I thought it was the squash blossom, but on second thought I think it could be the ginger. Pretty, but there's definitely a disturbing edge to it. It reminds me very much of the Other Mother from Coraline; things appear fine on the surface, but there's Something Not Quite Right lurking underneath...

Verdict: this is a really interesting scent that retains the fresh feeling, but it's just not for me. It's very strong with great throw, though. A little Crawdad goes a long way!

In imp: Blueberry! Juicy blueberry with sweet fluffy muffin. Blueberry muffin! When people told me this one smelled like a blueberry muffin I didn't believe them, but it absolutely does - that candied blueberry smell, that impossible fluffiness of a muffin, the muffin of dreams! It reminds me just in theory of the way Diary of a Lovestruck Teenage Cannibal has a ton of notes that sound nothing like the sweet pepper birthday cake smell you get from it all combined. Somehow, with their powers combined, these notes make blueberry muffin!

Wet: Now it's a little sharper and a little less candied, a little more layered. Vanilla is there for sure, and I actually do get a tiny, tiny bit of squash blossom. The green tea, if it's there at all, blends with the florals. I get a little of it when I breath out through my nose after sniffing.

Dry: Sweetening even more as it dries. The blueberry is finally relaxing and being less manic, and I can now tell there is some currant underneath. What a sweet, summery, juicy confection! Total keeper, 4/5

I got this as a FRIMP from a wonderful formate and was very intrigued! In the IMP it smells of grape, liquorice, jasmine and berries, very sugary sweet!
On me it is BEAUTIFUL. The green tea and the current are the most dominant smells with hints of the blueberry and vanilla underneath.

This is a very fruity, fun, summary and sweet scent! I love it!

I just tried this again today: 9/29/14 and YUM. It smells a lot like those rubbary bath balls/pearls that my mom used to buy and throw in the bath :) Love it even more!

Edited by Lilly

I am really happy to get to try this scent out because I did my Masters work on blueberries and I thought about buying it when Crawdad originally came out but I was worried about a number of the notes. So thank you to the forumite who gave me a partial imp! In the imp and immediately upon my skin it is all blueberries. The blueberry note makes me think of the super fake-y blueberry Bonne Bell lip smackers I had years ago more than the candied blueberry note in the Blue Phoenix proto I sniffed way back. But hey- blueberry in BPAL. I'm happy. The blueberry note does quickly fade and the green tea steps up. Perhaps there is suggestion of the currant, but it's really only that. After a bit, there's a note that I don't much care for showing up. It almost makes me think of onion, which I loathe. At first I thought it was maybe the squash blossom, but then I read Michi's review and though oh! Yes, it is the ginger! It is a different ginger than I'm used to. Maybe with the coriander in there, it's throwing me off. After this, I can smell the benzoin/vanilla in the throw but not up against my skin, which still smells of the green tea. The vanilla/benzoin is really, really good. I think this does fit the idea of irrelevant (blueberry), disturbing (ginger) and surreal (the green tea and vanilla/benzoin). I'm delighted the red musk doesn't show up and ruin things for me. Very happy to have smelled this.

this is such a bizarre blend on my skin.

it starts out with a burst of...skin so soft. my grandmother used to use skin so soft as a bug repellant. this took me straight back to summer as a first grader.

it then shifts into watermelon gum.

it then cycles through something vaguely herbal/spicy, the skin so soft, and a blast of fruit stripe gum. as it's on longer though it does shift into something more herbal and fruity and less skin so soft. i'm guessing the ginger and tea are interacting with the squash to make that weird chemical impression to me.

i do like the blend and i'm going to hang on to my decant, for novelty if nothing else.

I love how incredibly complicated this scent it! Supporting everything are big fat juicy ripe blueberries, with a slightly herbal and spicy spent next, topped off with just a little vanilla and ginger. Lovely, but definitely complicated, which is something I adore about the Lab's blends!

Imp: Fruit, tea, ginger and coriander.

Wet: Oh, yum! Sweet and fruity but mellowed down by the tea. A bit spicy due to the ginger and very soft and lovely due to the benzoin and vanilla. This is delicious and tropical!

Dry: This is mainly ginger, fruity tea and soft vanilla on me. Lovely!

This is a lovely blend, and if it weren't for the blueberries - which are, indeed, disturbing - it would be a top ten fave for me, especially for hot weather. I just really dislike smelling of blueberries or other sweet berry. It almost makes me nauseous, which is weird because I do like them for eating.

I'm really disappointed, because all the other notes are so made of win. :cry2:

Edited by OctoberGwen

I love the comment that Crawdad is a blueberry roulette. It's so accurate it hurts. For me? It was Squash and Blueberry. Did you know Squash is apparently an absolutely beautiful smell? It adds a curious soft squishy butteryness to everything.

I've tried to break down the glory that is Crawdad into individual notes, but I'm not even going to fib. I have no idea what half of the notes in this are even supposed to smell like. What I will say, is that this scent was my first ever bottle purchase WAAAAY back when, that a friend was telling me about and ended up buying for me because I thought the description was too insanely creative to pass up. I had no idea about perfumes AT ALL.

When this stuff touched my skin it exploded into a beautiful prism of scent. Since then, I've been actively searching to find scents similar to Crawdad so that I can have a chance to figure out what these notes are that are making me feel so amazing. I've come to the conclusion after years of collecting that it's not one individual note. It's everything working together in a harmony that only Beth could whip together.

It's juicy and slightly effervescent. It's deep, like a blue slow moving river bed where you go crawdad hunting :D. It's bright and fresh, and yet mellow and chillax. It's contradictory in itself but works together seamlessly. This scent has never morphed on me or changed. And since I've purchased it, it has remained true to the day I opened the bottle. It must work WONDERFULLY on my skin because the reviews from family, friends, coworkers, strangers, has always been extremely positive. When my younger sister was SAD that my bottle of crawdad was more than half empty, I was a bit depressed. It's the reason I finally joined the forums myself- to trade for more. Along with other goodness of course.

I get claustrophobic fairly bad in my life- little things make my chest feel tight. And Crawdad feels like a wide expanse around me. With firm edges but a clear, uninhibited very calming blue center. /end hippy. The scent has INCREDIBLE throw. You just need a drop and you're good to go. The plus side? even with the crazy throw it's not overpowering or annoying. You can smell it, but it smells so good no one ever minds. I do get positive comments on occasion when a coworker walks behind my desk, wondering where the delicious smell is coming from. It's almost impossible for this scent to overpower. And boy does it have STAYING power. A few drops in the morning and I come home with a lingering remainder still drafting close to my body. It's been a long lasting investment.

It's wonderful. You should try it out, if not just for the sensation of one of Beth's more curious creations. Not to mention one of the first scents Lilith inspired her to make :heart:

Edited by Aveya

Ginger, currant and cream(?) on me. Maybe the cream is the squash - I've no idea. It has a bit of a note that I register as 'summer' and interpret as 'sunblock'. It's explody and sweet and really great, bright red and blue based in dark green. Om nom nom.

Musky blueberry! Sounds gross, smells divine. I can't stop huffing my wrist, and my kitten keeps rubbing her face on my wrist. ha ha Very unusual scent. I'll be wearing this a lot this spring/summer!

Wet: Tea and blueberry and musk. Hints of ginger. Amazing. Instant love. There's none of the artificialness that sometimes happens on my skin with certain fruit/berry notes.

Dry: Gosh I love this. Musk, tea and blueberry. Who would have thought that would be this amazing. It's summery and happy. Really glad I tracked some down!

Wet: Musky blueberry and red currant gummy candy. Love.

Dry: While the wet stage was an overall general muskiness, the dry stage has brought out the actual red musk. Red musk with blueberry and red currant gummy candies. It's such a unique scent, and I absolutely love it.

One of my favorite BPALs, ever. It's only gotten better with age!

Right off the bat, I'm getting so much green tea! The other really prominent notes I can detect are the blueberry, vanilla, and currant. It smells like a fruity herbal tea. It is pretty unique and I can't think of anything else to compare this to. There's a very faint hint of the ginger once dry, but overall it's a pretty sweet scent. I think the green tea actually makes this not super foodie?

This is amazing if you love tea blends!

Dug out my old partial bottle of this!

Blueberries, tea, and ginger in a big burst, at first! Then it calms down after a few minutes and gets a...sort of powdery edge? Not in a bad way, but less juicy than the first minutes, more like sniffing the blueberry-ginger tea leaves rather than sipping the tea.

Awesome Husband immediately said, "baby powder!", which makes me a little sad, because that's probably quite nice for some people but not a thing I personally want to smell like! Still, those first few minutes are lovely. Wonder if it'd work better in a scent locket, or some sort of diffuser...