Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
filigree_shadow

Irrelevant and Disturbing Surreal Crawdad Dream

An irrelevant, disturbing, and surreal scent: red currant, green tea, red musk, Hawaiian ginger, benzoin, vanilla, coriander, squash blossom, and blueberry.

Bottle: Blueberry and some dark whispers of tea struggling to come out
Wet on Me: the regular tart of blueberry is softened by the vanilla. But I get faint traces of the tea and currant wanting to come and play as well.
Drying Down: now more currant and musk with the tea right beneath it. The blueberry has moved to the back of the scent trail.
Dry: almost powdery, but the currant and tea and the blueberry in the background keep a counterbalance sharpness in it. I like this. I’m so glad I got a bottle!

In the bottle: Blueberries! :P

On wet: Blueberries instantly give way to tea and the currant - no problem, as I love both!

Drydown: Powdery lemon? Where is this coming from? This odd stage lasts for several long minutes, then the blueberries return with the tea in tow. Ginger lingers on the sidelines, as does the vanilla and currant. The musk is developing slowly - darkly sweet, vaguely leathery, working (surprisingly!) well with the berries/tea combo. Not picking up the benzoin (good - not a favourite), or the squash blossom/coriander.

Overall: Another good fruit-tea-musk (with a healthy dash of vanilla) combo for me! I'm not even very interested in blueberry as a scent to wear, but it's really nice with the supporting notes in this blend - and it's incredibly fresh/realistic! A unique addition to my BPAL box, and a nice change of pace from what I usually wear. 3.5/5 :D

I`m a fan of all the notes, and I must say that this blends gets better and better with age.

The initial blueberry-tea blast is still tart and fresh, and the drydown with ginger first and vanilla in the end it`s spettacular and incredibly long. It was so good that I couldn`t layer it with any other scent. This is fun from the start to the end.

I was so excited about this blend,

All the notes sounded fantastic, apart from me not knowing what Squash Blossom was!

At first it's a blast of Berries, Ginger & Green Tea...yum! It's very fresh and fruity and fun.

I'm not sure how I feel about the drydown though, I don't get any vanilla from this..and there's something very unusual about it, is this the squah blossom? I understand it's edible...

The scent becomes more rounded as it dries and loses the lovely zingyness it had at the start, in fact it's completely different. It's now much more floral and much stronger in throw. It's very hard to describe for sure, I think that it smells very slightly of some sort of honey.

I'm gonna need to give this one more time....

Ooh, I like the way this changes. At first it's all sweet blueberries, like blueberry pie or jam. After about fifteen minutes, the tea comes up, along with a floral element which I assume is the squash blossom. This lasts a long time - it smells like drinking blueberry flavoured tea on a patio with a flowering vine climbing up a nearby wall. The musk and spices round it out at the end, making it a very complex, fruity, and sexy scent.

ETA: Nutz. I think I might have to swap this - it's a great summery scent, but every time I wear it it makes me sneeze. Although I don't recall that being the case when I first tested it, and this summer is supposed to be particularly bad for hay fever... (wafflewafflewaffle)

Edited by Electric Maenad

In the bottle, HELLO BLUEBERRIES. It smells amazing, but not something I would ever think to wear as a perfume.

Wet, this smells like fresh warm blueberry pie. But I can smell the red currant and the ginger coming in too. It's very light and pretty.

Something weird happened with me though, a few hours into it. Suddenly I was wondering what smelled so strongly of baby powder, and then I realized it was me! That's a scent I really don't like, so I was pretty sad to be smelling it.

It's 21 hours and 1 shower later and I still smell it! Obviously not nearly as strong as when I first put it on, but this one has some amazing staying power.

I casually put some on when I first got the imp and I don't remember smelling any baby powder then, so hopefully my chemistry was just a bit out of whack yesterday, because this one has the potential to be one of my favourites!

Bottle: A sweet fruity (berry and a hint of citrus?) floral, a hint tea-like, with a bit of an herbal..almost oregano like? There's also something chocolate-y. Reminds me of some of the lighter 13 blends.

Wet: Basically the same...sweet, tea-like scent with some fruitiness (citrusy, especially).

Drying: This grows more tealike and herbal as it dries. Also...someting...squashy? Like cutting up a butternut or pumpkin. There's a light vanilla-like creaminess in the background, but it's basically a squash-tea herbal with a fruity sweetness. After about 30 min, that light chocolatey scent comes back and this reminds me again of the ligter 13 blends. This lasts about 7 hrs and fades to a sweet scent.

PS: I am so PLEASED with this skin test. I didn't look up the notes ahead of time, and the fact that I was able to pick out squash floored me *pats self on back*

Overall: light herbal squash/fruit tea-blend that reminds me of the 13 blends. Its nice, but I don't see it going into my rotation, so I think I'll pass it on.

In the bottle all I can smell is fruit. Yum.

Wet on Skin the tea and vanilla come out.

On drydown I get a lot of a soft blueberry with vanilla and a hint of musk. This is a great blend a must for when I am in a fruity mood.

In the bottle, a sweet and tropical blueberry. I'm guessing that's the vanilla and ginger that are contributing to that.

Wet - Sweet tropical blueberry, Batman! Totally loving this!

No! No! As it dries that wonderful blueberry note is pushed back leaving a still nice tropical blend in the front. The currant starts coming out as well, and it's quite nice. I still wish the lucious blueberry note would have stuck around longer though.

I was really excited when I was able to get a bottle of this off ebay- until I got it :D

In the bottle it smells very fruity ( I can make out a little blueberry) then this sharp smell takes over-I think it's the currents. When I put it on it was terrible! All I get is this sharp choaking scent that took a whole day to wash off! I was devistated! This is the first time a bpal scent has gone bad on me :P I don't know what happened! I'm hoping this will get better with age...stupid currents.......

On me, this is fruity, but very evenly tempered - something that I often can't say about a lot of fruity scents, which tend to go sharp or fake on my skin (though I always want to love them). It has some depth, a light muskiness, and the sweetness of vanilla. It's nice, and I'm really happy that a fruity scent wears well on me, but I'm finding it hard to describe otherwise- perhaps because it's surreal. ;) I'm probably happy with my imp, but I am glad I got to try it!

Mmm... I bought this quite a while back, from here on the forum. At the time, I had a dab.. thought "oh that's nice" and then put it in the box.

Fast forward to now.. and I open the bottle up to a blast of blueberry and red musk - those two must have been brewing up a storm while the bottle's been aging, I guess this is about 6 months old now if it came out in July '08. Once on my skin, it's all vanilla and blueberry.. and - weird - chocolate kinda smelling. But then I pay a little more attention, and hiding under there is the tang of the tea and ginger.

Over the last couple of hours, this has changed a few times on my skin.. fruity, then musky. Vanilla then coriander. But the blueberry is definitely dominant. I love blends like this - very multi-layered and sneaky :smile:

When I first got this one delivered upon first sniff I went 'eh', it wasnt really anything special but looking at the notes I figured I'd hold on to it because it would probrably age well. And it did!! The top layer is mostly red current, musk, and benzoin with a little fruitiness. I really do like this one a lot more now so if anyone else has this one stashed away waiting for it to age try it now ;) 4/5

In the bottle: Red currant, red musk, Hawaiian ginger and green tea.. and yes, it smells like blueberries, but rather artificial ones to me <_< Very interesting combo though!

Wet: More of the same really: very thick red musk with berries. The blueberry is present mostly in the throw.

Dry: This is not one I find myself reaching for every day, but it is definitely unique in my collection. The tea and esp. ginger really come out as it dries. The berries combine really well with the musk, and forms a nice red base, but the tea and ginger hover over it all.

In the bottle – Many layers in one sniff. First the fruits, sweet with the slightest edge. Then the warm, spicy ginger. Then the softness of the vanilla and the benzoin. And then, almost as an afterthought, the refreshing green tea

Wet on me – Sweet blueberries with just a hint of the green tea and the vanilla coming through strong in the background

Dry on me – It must be the coriander, but it smells like patchouli to me. I does go through a brief dust period, but settles into a warm, spicy vanilla

Overall – I’m in two minds; the patchouli/dust period isn’t great, but both the before and after are. I think it would make a great room scent in an oil burner

In the bottle: surprisingly tart, I can smell currant and green tea for now.

Wet on skin: very tart and sharp! Red currant and tea dominate, with a bit of ginger.

Dry on skin: mmm, not bad! it’s a very sharp currant-tea scent, spiced with ginger, but I can smell hints of blueberry and coriander as well, the coriander adds a pungent spice to it all. no sweet vanilla or benzoin yet, but I think I smell red musk. There’s an overall blackcurrant smell to this, maybe a mix of redcurrant and blueberry causing this. It is an unusual scent and a lot more biting than I expected!

After a while: the scent still remains sharp and currant-y, but the throw this scent has (which is nice and strong) is of sweet blueberries and creamy vanilla! And the scent close to the wrist has changed a bit too. It reminds me of the first 13 scent, a creamy currant and tea scent, but without chocolate. I also smell something almost like honey in here, as well as more of the spice notes.

Retesting this after it’s aged a few months-and it’s improved dramatically. It was lovely before but now the vanilla, currant and musk fuse at drydown into this wonderful, sexy berry sweetness. Not sticky sweet or cloying at all. Just rich red musky berries, which I love. the coriander adds something unique to it as well.

Verdict: this scent has really grown on me. The downside is that this isn’t as blueberry-dominated as I hoped it would be, as there are very few blueberry BPALs. But that’s no bad thing because this scent is wonderful enough as it is. It starts off reminiscent of the first 13, currants and tea with something almost honeyed to it as well as a creamy sweetness. And then it changes into a stunning redcurrant and red musk blend. I love red musk combined with fruit, and I’ve discovered that currants + darker sexier musks = utter gorgeousness on me. So it’s no surprise then that I adore the sweet red musk, berry and vanilla drydown this has. Incredibly unique in all ways-notes, inspiration and name-and it works!

Emoticon rating: :heart:

Is it a keeper? Yup!

If you like this, try: Blue Fire, Daiyu, Cheshire Cat, 13 (first version), Anactoria

Mmm, this is good.

In the bottle and wet on my skin, I get blueberry and ginger, but the blueberry fades back to blend with the currant and the tea comes up to lend some astringency that keeps it from going excessively sweet. This actually reminds me of Serpents with Glittering Eyes and Forky Tongues, but I like this better, because it smells less like shampoo.

In the bottle: *sniff* Yup, some of that tangy, dark red currant, coriander, and ginger.

Wet: Blueberry- yummy! And then... Whoa! Super fruity! :eek: I think this is a bit too fruity for my taste. Ick.

Drydown: There's still something sharpish-- I'm not 100% sure if it's the coriander, ginger, or green tea that gives it this crispness, or heck, maybe it's all of 'em together, hehe. Eventually something smoothes it over just a tiny bit (probably the vanilla though it doesn't smell of actual vanilla if that makes sense). Wait a sec, ahhhh, that blueberry is making another appearance. Nice!

Verdict: It's a very nice scent, and one I can imagine tons of people loving, it's just too fruity for my personal taste. It does smell nice on me, though. :P I would like this blend a lot more if the blueberry were more dominant and lasted longer as well; and some of the sharpness could be mellowed/ pushed back.

Yay! Tea and red currant! And blueberry! Very tangy and crisp. Somewhere along the way, the currant fades, and I get... something I can only describe as 'fuzzy'. Fuzzy and grey. There's vanilla, but everything else is indistinguishable. This is oddly comforting and soft--quite unlike what I associate with crawdads!

Holy god, this is amazing! I wasn't even going to try this one but luckily was frimped it by a generous soul. Green tea is usually pretty bad on me and blueberry is one of my least favorite fruit smells, but this is one of the most vibrant, lush, golden scents I've ever smelled! It's bursting with juicy lusciousness. It's amazing and I can't even put my finger on what makes it so good. Damn :)

Oh dear, I'm going through my BPAL collection and have just gotten to this one. I've tried it before and it was positively AWFUL both in bottle and on me, but I'm here giving it another go. Maybe time has helped it mellow out a bit...

In bottle: Sharp, SHARP currants. I'm guessing this isn't going to go well! I'm not sure what it is about it that makes it smell so sour too. And maybe it's my association with the name, but I smell fish.

Wet: Still the same. Fishy berries. :(

Dry: I get more tea now, but I feel like I NEED to go and wash it off.

Sorry Crawdad, I tried.

Verdict: It's a very nice scent, and one I can imagine tons of people loving, it's just too fruity for my personal taste. It does smell nice on me, though. :P I would like this blend a lot more if the blueberry were more dominant and lasted longer as well; and some of the sharpness could be mellowed/ pushed back.

This. Except it's not too fruity for my tastes...it's just it's a bit too sharp. The tea and ginger totally dominate in the blend on me and I was hoping for more blueberry. :ugh: Thing is, if I wait awhile I get this warm, vanilla blueberry tea that is smoother than what I first applied. I dunno. I think I'm going to keep it for now and do a full-day test drive to see how it acts over time. :beg:

And no crawdad dreams for me while I was pregnant. Funnily enough, mine were about monster blueberry muffins. It may be because I ate so many of them. :lol: :yum:

This is sooooo good omg :wub: Juicy and tart, I can smell the blueberries and currant...but then there's warm sweet red musk mixed with the vanilla...the tea adds a slight coolness...I love how this is fruity, yet still warm and inviting...mmm...love love love.

In bottle: odd scent. I’m mainly picking up ginger?

Wet: musk and ginger, with a touch of vanilla in the background

Drydown: Same thing. I seem to be amping those two notes. The other ones aren’t coming out at all.

Later: Mainly a sassy ginger scent. Moderate throw on me. A summer scent, I think. It’s odd, but I like it a lot.