Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
paperdoll

Shattered

A scent as sharp as glass shards, and as brittle as a broken heart. The formula came to me - quite literally - in a dream, and is named after, and created in memory of, the last poem that I ever wrote… almost ten years ago to the day. A blend of white champagne notes, grapefruit, lotus, slivered mint and crystalline aquatic blooms.

I always massage the BPAL oils into my neck as the more my skin absorbs the scent, the longer it lasts. After a few minutes I felt a strong tingling sensation with this one which worsened. Felt akin to having Vicks Vapo rub on you and it freaked me out. Took almost ten minutes for it to subside. I am assuming it was the mint? Never again! :P

This one came as a frimp by a generous BPAL'er and I'm glad they included it! It's very fresh and in the vial I had a hard time picking out individual notes without looking at the description. Melon? :P Ahhhhh yeah that's definitely grapefruit. Ooh! and now that it's drying I'm getting some sweet minty floral as well. Whoever described it as Orbit mojito gum was pretty on the money for me when it was in the wet stage. Very cool and clean! To paraphrase Captain Hammer "Not my usual, but nice".

Imp: Minty bubblegum, that's the lotus talking:)

Wet: I'm loving the bubbly champagne even though it only lasts for a second or two. Quickly changes to a tart grapefruit with a spring of mint. So far so good. Grapefruit often goes stinky on me.

Dry: Nice fresh grapefruit scent. A bit of cheerful, bubblegummy lotus hangs around making it fun.

It is off to the imp box for now but I think I'll really enjoy this when warmer weather returns.

I wanted to try this because Margaret Cho mentioned it once. I can't always wear grapefruit but so far this is behaving on my skin. It smells wonderfully like the old Citrus Fantasy body spray from Parfums de Coeur that I was absolutely addicted to in the late 90s--citrusy but sweet and deep. I'm surprised at how much I like this! The latter drydown stage brings out a little mintiness. This is refreshing and light and lovely!

Very refreshing, mostly mint in the vial. Once on the grapefruit comes out (there's also a tingle if I apply it on my inner wrist or the crook of my elbow), but it plays beautifully with the mint. I would never have tried this on my own, but it's delicious.

Mint and grapefruit with an undertone of sweet grapes. I can actually feel the place where I applied this (the mint maybe?). That, combined with the sharpness of the scent, makes me feel as if I'm playing with glass knives. This stays true and well-behaved on my skin but, while I like the way its smells, its a bit too dangerous for me to wear often.

imp: mint. not fresh mint but mint extract.

wet: wow, minted citrus. this does has a sharp, crystalline quality to it. i will be needing a bottle.

dry: the mint fades a touch and i get a little hint of the champagne. the grapefruit is dominant yet light. definite bottle purchase.

In the imp this smells like a more minty Gennivre. So minty, however, it's bordering on Certs territory. Hold me, I'm scared! Oh, okay, here we go: on my skin the menthol backs off a bit and the grapefruit note really comes out...It's totally reminding me of Shasta soda pop at this stage, and not in a bad way, but yeah...Shasta! I like it and I'll probably get a ton of wear out of this one when the weather warms up...After a while the mint completely vanishes to the background providing a vague freshness, the grapefruit mellows out, and now it's more like somewhere between ginger brew and carbonated grapefruit juice...effervescent and refreshing in any case! I likey!

Imp: Minty fresh. I'd swear I've had a drink that smelled like this

Wet: Minty and aquatic. Very interesting.

Drydown: Actually starting to smell sort of green. ::time passes:: Okay but no. This scent is not meshing on me at all. If it were just a bit more blended, I think it'd work out but...something just unsettling about it on me

I love this! It's minty and fresh and just really beautiful. It has an effervescence to it that makes it come alive.

My bottle will be here in a couple days. I can't wait! :wub:

In the bottle: Really, really bright sweet tarts! With mint!

Wet: Champagne! Sweet citrus! Mint! And something...sour?

Dry: Champagne, mint, and sourness. The citrus seems to have disappeared. :(

Verdict: Man, I think my skin amplifies alcohol scents and does funny things to them. I had this same problem with Bon Vivant. Smelled fabulous in the bottle, but turned sour on me. Darnit! I really wanted to wear this! Oh well.

Imp: Mint over grapefruit

Wet on Me: Mint over aquatic green

Drying Down: aquatic mint over lotus. Very faint.

Dry: less mint now. Pale whispers of the white champagne

dancing around the lotus and aquatic blooms all blending

together. Very delicate and ethereal.

This was a nice sharp, fresh scent. The grapefruit and mint and champagne really work well together. Would be great on a warm spring day!

Unfortunately for me, it completely disappeared in less than an hour. I'll try it next time in my hair, and/or my clocket to see if it lasts better that way.

Imp: Strong, tart citrus shower gel

Wet: Non-descript, generic citrus. Unisex

Drydown: This has sweetned up a little. But it's a generic lemon candle scent.

Overall: This has light throw. It's not bad, I don't think I'll wear it though.

Upon sniffing for the first time, the image of cold, broken glass and neon came to mind. I don't know how neon plays in there but it popped into my mind at first sniff. Maybe neon lights reflecting in a broken mirror.

This truly does smell "shattered," but in a beautiful, refreshing way. I can definitely notice all of the notes in the description. The scent is light, refreshing, almost minty (but not in a gum type of way). Very pretty! I'm definitely keeping the imp, but I'm not too sure about a bottle, its too sharp for me to really like.

Edited by delighted

This is somewhat disspointing. I don't really like mint in a perfume, especially when it dominates. (Lick It? big no no) Add to that the fact that this oil has practically zero throw on me. Makes me sad!

First off it's a whoosh of fizzy mint, strong mint. Then after about 25 seconds the mint fades, but only slightly and this turns very floral on me, slightest hint of fruit, no bubblegummy lotus.

Then it fades to a thin, weak scent within 5 minutes.

The best part of this scent is for about 30 seconds during dry down, I get this really really clean, fresh burst. almost like laundry which I love. But it's gone in a flash!

:cry2:

A really bright scent. The aquatic/grapefruit is really there for sure. I think this would make a good summer scent. As mentioned, very bright and clear. Sort of typical bath and body scent, though. As it's drying the hint of mint is coming out which seems to make this much nicer.

Faded within twenty minutes, just reapplied another little smear. A lot of reviewers are saying that this is MINTMINTMINT over grapefruit, but for me the mint is barely there at all which is a shame. It's mostly just soapy citrus.

interesting. it smelled like lime soda, then i realized it was grapefruit soda. none of the other notes pop out. just grapefruit and the aquatics give it a soda fizzy scent.

Hmm, I got more of a valencia orange scent than grapefruit. Wet, this is the juiciest orange, very fresh and summery. It dries to a perfumey floral :ack: , and stays that way for a bit. 40 minutes later, the perfumey is gone, and it's more of a powdery, sweet florally fruit. Quite a morpher, and really, all the stages I can do without. I do wish I got grapefruit, as I am not an orange scent lover (or perfumey floral). Off to swaps.

Interesting. This starts out smelling like Doublemint Gum and grapefruit peel. It's cool and tangy, sweet and tart. The mint fades on drydown and the grapefruit amps a bit. Now something sharper than grapefruit (that reminds me of the way a beauty salon smells, if that makes any sense at all) is coming out.

I don't know if I like it or not.

i'm surprised to hear that the mint in this is so strong for some people! on me, it blends in perfectly with all the other notes, to the point where it definitely feels refreshing, but i wouldn't necessarily have identified it as mint.

on me, this blend is stunning- musky, floral, aquatic, but somehow it all comes together perfectly. i might even go so far as to say this is my most favoritest scent ever! love it!

Mint and grapefruit are predominant at the start, and it reminds me of something from my childhood that I really can't put my finger on. It's making me really nostalgic and I wish I knew why. It's fizzy too: maybe it's the 'champagne' note that's doing that... and it's a fantastic thing! Fresh and cool and gorgeous, but with a very long memory for me.

Imp: Icy/minty citrus.

Wet:SUPER minty, nose-and-back-of-throat-cooling-ly minty. Over bitter grapefruit pith

Drying: This smells like minty bubblegum toothpaste and grapefruit. You know how if you eat citrus or drink orange juice right after you brush your teeth, and it tastes godawful? That’s what this brings to mind…not that it smells bad at all, mind you, just that it triggers the citrus with toothpaste memory and therefore has bad connotations.

Dry: This leaves a strong physical minty tingle (cooling and burning at the same time) on my skin for 1-2 hrs. Its SRSLY minty. Mint and lotusy bubblegum are what I end up with. The citrus dissipates.

Overall: Wow, minty. Cool, but not my thing. Passing it on!

ETA: DH says he smells "chlorine." I wonder if thats how he reads the aquatic notes?

Edited by jewelbug

After I got the imp from a friend, I just had to get a bottle of this one. I like mint blends, especially if they're slightly sweet (adore the Lick It series) and my skin likes to amp mint, too. That being said...

Shattered is exactly like those little pastel butter-mint candies that my grandma always used to have. You know, the ones that come in pale pink and green and white and have a creamy texture. It's like those, but on my skin--sweet (but not overly so), minty (but with a hint of fruit at the edges), sharp (but sweet-sharp, not metallic or anything) and cool (literally, leaves my skin feeling slightly cold). Hardly changes at all from bottle to skin, which is great.

Another success!