Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
paperdoll

Shattered

A scent as sharp as glass shards, and as brittle as a broken heart. The formula came to me - quite literally - in a dream, and is named after, and created in memory of, the last poem that I ever wrote… almost ten years ago to the day. A blend of white champagne notes, grapefruit, lotus, slivered mint and crystalline aquatic blooms.

Very minty!

Clear cool and mint. And more mint. Not peppermint, though: a high refreshing mint.

I would wear it. And scent my room with it, once the room gets cleaned up :P

Shattered - this was a DC imp from the circular swap.

In the imp: Mint and lotus, but the mint is a soft, afterdinner variety and the bubblegum scent of lotus is very faint.

On me/wet: When it first touches my skin, those same two notes are the first to make an appearance. Soon after, a hint of grapefruit and an aquatic somethingness begin. This is a weird one! Mint, but a catniplike mint, is still the forefront.

Drydown: More grapefruit, but still minty. Reminds me of one of the citrus mint gums, or the extremely odd citrus mint toothpaste I sampled recently. However, this works. Still weird, but it works. I think I like it. :P

This is predominantly grapefruit on me. Ordinarily that would be a good thing, as I like the Lab's grapefruit note, but there's something else in here that's not working. It smells okay, but it's hitting an unpleasant switch in my brain, to the point where I can't sniff this without my nerves getting badly jangled. My stomach knots up, and I have to wash this off.

When I read the scent description, it kind of makes sense. If Beth was going for 'ravaged nerves' with this one, she nailed it.

I get this very bubbly, effervescent mint from Shattered. The mint stays much longer than I expected it to, and a nice watery floral barely peeks out after a while. My body chemistry must eat grapefruit, because I really don't get any hint of it at all!

I find the scent really calming for some reason, in spite of the description. I definitely will need a big bottle of this :P

This one started off minty, but very different from Envy. Envy is sweeter, and Shattered is more herbal, and pretty masculine to me. I find that I'm sort of indifferent to this smell. Nothing really attracts me to it (as a scent for myself or the boy), but I don't feel like I have to wash it off.

In Bottle: Beautiful clean ozone and soap

On Skin: This is so pretty and feminine. Usually ozone scents feel masculine to me, but this one is so very womanly. It is so elegant, quite perfumey as well. It is a sharp scent, but not so much that it’s pungent. I think the lotus and the blooms help soften it with their sweetness. The champagne gives a bubbly effervescent feel that makes it sparkle even more. Yes, sparkle is the perfect word… this scent is pure sparkle. A perfect scent for a formal party or for an event you just want to feel extra special. It’s a little less sweet than Bon Vivant… Shattered is the more adult version. The mint is undercontrol, it gives just the slightest tingle and isn’t medicinal at all. The grapefruit is sweet & sour at the same time and gives a beautiful juicy feel. Over all, a gorgeous scent. If you like aquatics and grapefruit, you must try this scent. A medium to fairly strong throw and average wearlength.

In the bottle - Mint with grapefruit behind it.

Wet on me - Mint backed by something floral.

Dry on me - The mint disappears leaving something vaguely citrussy and then that disappears as well.

Overall - Interesting but shortlived.

Origins - Discontinued Sniffing Circle (so this is from a really old imp).

In the imp - mainly mint (maybe spearmint?)

On the skin - mint with a touch of grapefruit. Maybe some flowers behind the mint. This is a cool, crisp scent. As it wears, it stays fairly linear, not really changing.

Overall impression - crisp, cool scent that would be perfect for summer and anyone looking for a great mint scent should check this out. I like it more that I thought.

Finally, Shattered! I missed the boat the first time around with this one, and then it was discontinued. Now it's back in stock and I'm finally getting around to trying this one, more than two years later.

I can't smell any champagne notes, but I do smell the grapefruit, lotus, and loads of mint. I get a slight shiver of an aquatic but it's very faint. It reminds me of one of the muses (can't recall which one) and Cold Moon, sans slushy notes. The lotus here is behaving quite nicely, and I love the grapefruit-mint combo (it's zingy!).

This really feels like a winter blend, and I think I'll save my imp until then. This would also be very nice in shampoo, I think.

On first try, I found myself thinking, "Why does this smell so familiar?" Liked the scent, especially the cool sparkling minty-grapefruit, but couldn't quite get it.

Until tonight, when I put on a dab and asked the Sam to take a sniff. Response? "Toothpaste!"

:P

Minty-fresh I like, but not on my skin. :/ Shampoo scent was mentioned above, sounds like a good idea.

In the Bottle: Sharp, wet smelling, citrusy. I think I smell bergamot, but I'm not sure...might be leftover scent from my soap.

Wet: Yum! Citrus and mint, and sharpness. It is cold, and crystalline smelling.

Dry: Still sharp, citrus, mint and floralish. Divine, but seems to be very short lived.

In the imp: spearmint and grapefruit, sweet and sharp sugary mintiness.

On me, wet: mint and watery grapefruit and bubbliness. Hmm. This smells like eating a ultra-strong mint feels, when it fizzes on your tongue and floods your nose and mouth.

On me, dry: slightly citrus-tinged extra-strong mints. With the fizzy powdery feel and everything. And the lotus is lurking menacingly beneath it.

Verdict: Interesting, but enh, I think not really my style.

In the bottle: mint, but not a strong, sharp mint.

Initial application: mint changes to a dry citrus scent. I guess the dryness is from the champagne notes...?

Drydown: on my left wrist it now smells like a light, nonspecific cologne, somewhat masculine, while on my right I still get the citrus. The mint is completely gone. This is very strange, neither scent smells at all like it did in the imp. I'm not crazy about the citrus, but the light cologne scent is nice. I'd like to try this again at a different time, see if I get a different result.

Smiley rating: :P

I wanted shattered for a long time, but, upon trying it, it wasn't as nice as expected. It smelled ok in the bottle, but, on me, the ozone and chamapgne scents took over, and the grapfruit and mint smell i'd been hoping for dissapeared in the drydown. :P

Shattered-

In Bottle: A lime-grapefruit floral. Beautiful in the bottle!

Wet: Woo, tea tree oil right up the nose.

Dry: This mellowed into something lightly floral; nice, but didn't really send me.

Overall: Not interesting for me.

Tried this at a meet and sniff. Based on the components, I'm *really* surprised I like this as much as I do. It has a glass-like quality, and would be a good winter scent. I get mostly the lotus and the mint.

Mmm... minty. This is a chilly sweet mint with a very clear aquatic note. It reminds me of sniffing the pink ceramic bowl of peppermints that my great-great-aunt used to keep on her coffee table for when us kids came to visit. It has a slight floral tinge to it that adds just the perfect hint of sweetness to the minty freshness. This one may be a bottle buy simply for the childhood reminder alone.

In the bottle: Citrus! Very citrus, in fact. This is a good solid grapefruit, not sweetened or altered in any way.

Once it’s on I can get a hint of booziness from the white wine, but it’s still predominantly grapefruit. After about ten minutes, though, this morphs into a very aquatic scent. The note listing says “aquatic blooms,” but all I’m getting is the aquatic! I guess that’s what I get for being a Pisces. Shattered is like drinking lemonade on the Jolly Roger (well, maybe grapefruitade. But close enough).

In the end, though, it’s the grapefruit that really has staying power, and lasts throughout all the phases of this blend. In the final drydown, Shattered is a perfect bitter grapefruit with a decent throw and some pretty good staying power.

I'm actually rather surprised, considering so many reviewers find a lot of mint in this blend... None for me!

I had meaning to try this for a while since I like grapefruit quite a lot, thanksfully I got it as a frimp in one of my recent orders. In the vial, I smelled minty grapefruit, very invigorating and relaxing. I was pleased.

However, my skin totally ate it up! Literally, it was gone within 1/2 hour....this happens with minty scents, and I know mint is the culprit, because what's left of it on my skin is pure grapefruit (hey that isn't bad since grapefruit is one of my favorite fruits to eat, but...). So sad!

I did turn this story into a happy ending though when I dumped the rest of my imp into my oil burner. It has scented my flute studio quite wonderfully, and is great for keeping my work environment energetic and such. At least as a room scent all the notes are present, unlike on my skin.

So, long story short, I might buy a bottle to use as a room scent only, but this is a no go as a perfume for me.

There's something about this scent that I absolutely adore, but I can't put my finger on it. In the bottle, it's slightly astringent and sharp, though not overwhelmingly so. I can definitely smell the mint, and a touch of that cat's pee type scent that sometimes accompanies it.

On the skin, that disappears immediately and the grapefruit makes an appearance. But it's not just grapefruit, this is grapefruit peel, sweetened with sugar. There's a nice mint/grapefruit combination going on, almost a candied peel smell.

Honestly, the wet stage isn't that great. It's not until about an hour or two after I apply it that something comes out and makes it gorgeous. It's slightly floral, a bit of that heady champagne scent, and a touch of leftover candied grapefruit. There's no sharpness left at all, and all the scents blend into something that just works on me.

This is a review of a very old imp (before it was discontinued). I don't know about the new formulation, but this is how Shattered aged: splash of mint on application, both sweet and cool, with the drydown being mostly sweet, floral, soft. A tiny bit of edge, but not much.

This is the perfect summer scent! I know this is a pretty bold statement but hear me out. Upon the application it's mostly mint and sweet grapefruit with the hints of something crystalline underneath. It isn't as aquatic as many of Beth's other blends that feature aquatics but just clear smelling, if that makes sense. The lotus seems to blend downward more with the mint creating a soft drydown similar to that. The grapefruit and crystalline notes fade fast upon me after a few hours with normal wear.

But in the summer that changes.

When you apply this oil, do so near a fan. The cooling sensation will cool the skin because of the dual nature of the mint and grapefruit. Very nice.

Try an imp of it next summer and see why!

imp: mint!

wet: mint with a hint of grapefruit

dry: grapefruit with a touch of mint

Five minutes later, it's gone, though after forty minutes or so, there is a light gloss of champagne on my skin.

I love all the notes and stages of Shattered, but it's too light on me and my skin drinks it up so quickly... :P

Shattered is quite minty to me at first. While it's wet, that's almost all I get, with the faintest hint of *something* behind it. As this dries, I see the reference to the champagne notes first, then the lotus/crystalline aquatic blooms, and finally the grapefruit. Once completely dry, my final impression is of a minty champagne, with a hint of grapefruit (no floral, thankfully). This doesn't have a lot of throw, but has good staying power. I like this one - it's very light, and although I wouldn't wear it everyday because it's not my typical type of scent, I might get an imp for summer weather.