Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
paperdoll

Shattered

A scent as sharp as glass shards, and as brittle as a broken heart. The formula came to me - quite literally - in a dream, and is named after, and created in memory of, the last poem that I ever wrote… almost ten years ago to the day. A blend of white champagne notes, grapefruit, lotus, slivered mint and crystalline aquatic blooms.

That's kind of a poignant and sad scent description, but I guess that's the point.

Grapefruit is a juicy topnote here, backed by bubblegum lotus in miniscule amounts, and a great deal of razzy champagne. This is sharp and hard, with a spreading warmth under like seeping blood. Yeah. Okay, I get the symbolism.

This smells good, slightly aquatic, slightly clean, slightly citric It's not a very "me" scent, but that hardly stops me from appreciating it. It has a lot of throw and at a distance it smells almost equally of mint and grapefruit. The mint note I could do without, to be honest. Mint almost never smells good to me. Gag.

This is a wistful, sharp scent, agonized. Worth investigating if a citric/aquatic blend sounds appealing to you. Edited by Shollin

In the bottle: Minty minty minty!

Wet: Mint was still the sharpest note, but the grapefruit was very sharp when I first applied it. Couldn't really smell the champagne.

Drydown: Very bubble-gummy at first, but then turned flowery.

Overall: I think I might give this imp another go before I make a final opinion, but it made me think of gum the entire time. Hmm.

This is very sharp, bright, and strong. The most noticible notes on me are mint, boozy white champagne, and undertones of grapefruit and ozones. The longer this sits on my skin, the stronger the mint note gets. This almost smells like spearmint gum after awhile.

Ozones and mints are definitely not my thing, but I'm sure this is lovely on the right person.

I still haven't reviewed this??!? BUT IT'S MAH FAYVRUT!

Imp it smells like Orbit Mojito Mint gum. Me it's mint (a white mint, not peppermint or spearmint) and grapefruit about equally, with something sharp and salty/alcoholic balancing it out a little. It used to last a while, though I had to slather, but after contaminating it a few weeks ago (go ahead, ask me about my exorcism :P), it's gone down to fifteen minutes even with slathering. At the end, the grapefruit and that alcohol note are the most noticeable.

This scent is rescued on me by the grapefruit. Without that note, it would smell bland sweet and powdery, perhaps akin to dryer sheets. But with it, its a sharp, clean scent that is actually pleasant. Good for summer, its very light. But I think I'd like it more as a room spray than for wearing (it does smell a bit like a room freshener, a decent one though).

Shattered (slightly greenish light yellow oil)

Imp: sweet mint.

Skin: Refreshing mint sherbet laced with champagne. The florals add a lovely sweet touch, I LOVE this at this stage!! It made me smile.

However after the mint fades a bitterness develops. Like grapefruit rind. And it doesn't disappear for a very long time. I wish that never happened!

Once the bitterness is gone, my skin is left with a soft, creamy scent I can't quite put my finger on.

I would have bought a 5ml straight away if it never turned bitter on me.

In the imp I smell grapefruit and mint, but on my skin it mellows into a pretty, sporty citrus. It is a sharp smell in the imp, which suits its name very well.

The floral (lotus and aquatics) is very soft and sweet and creates a pretty base for the sharper citrus/mint. I cannot pick out an individual mint or citrus scent after 15 minutes, but I prefer it that way, since I'm not particularly partial to either by themselves. But together they are really something. The florals come out more after the second application, I put it on at 8am and 1pm.

There is the tiniest hint of something sweet, bubblegummy, but not so much that it makes the whole scent sickenly sweet, that might be the champagne. This is the note I have the most trouble discerning.

The dominant mood of this one is what I would call "refreshing". This is a great perfume for spring, but I'm sure I'll break it out in the middle of winter as well when I need some cheering up.

*** stars.

edit: after several months of bpal love, Shattered is still in my top ten. I just got back from the hair salon and proceeded to cover up the hairspray scent with Shattered, which is always gorgeous floral grapefruit, very Asian smelling. I love this blend... it reminds me of the scene in Perfume when Grenouille is trying to get the smell of glass right. Well, Beth, you got the smell of broken glass, all right!

update to 4 stars! ****

Edited by TereFaerie

SHATTERED

I smell mostly a mint-fruit scent, which is hard for me to like, but this is still nice. The grapefruit and bubble-gum lotus sort of overpower the mint after a while and it leaves me with a cold, crystalline, sharp pink citrus and floral scent.

Wet: Strongly grapefruit and mint with sharp undertones I can't identify (lotus? champagne?). It stays this way about 45 minutes.

Dry: The citrus and mint fade quickly, and leave a creamy, dry floral smell that is just barely noticable on my wrist.

Verdict: I love, love, love the wet phase, and the dry smell is very pleasant. I wish there were a way to boost it. I think I need to get a scent locket, and I'll likely buy a big bottle of this when I get the chance.

In the bottle: Incredibly, overwhelmingly sweet. Bubblegum and fruit. Grapefruit (the really sweet kind), and maybe berries. A hint of something sharp and green.

Wet: Sharper, greener, less sweet - thank god. Fresher and cleaner but still pretty fruity. Mint coming out a bit. Grapefruit coming out more - ruby red grapefruit cocktail. Something else sweet, I think it must be the lotus? This is not boozy at all. There is barely any floral - I'd like a little more.

Dry/Summary: It's faded alot, but otherwise is virtually the same as earlier - maybe a bit less sweet and a bit more floral

Kind of a weird combination...but it totally works for the theme...I smell the mint the most.....the grapefruit in the background adds a slightly sour undertone....or maybe that's the champagne. It has a sort of tearful quality, somehow....like when you cry till you almost can't cry anymore....but everytime you think of the reason you're crying a few more tears can't help but sqeeze themselves out....

Edited by AmandaKay

Hmm...I'm not sure.

To start it was all minty with a teeeny bit of grapefruit in there. Now I can't pick up the grapefruit at all. Like someone else has said before, it reminds me of gum.

Waited a little while and there's the champagne, but there is so little throw I really have to try to find it.

I think I will try this once more and really slather it to see what I get, but I'm not sure this imp is for me.

Expectations: Cautiously (and probably foolishly) optimistic. I liked the sound of this when I ordered, before having tried much of anything and learning what does and doesn't work on me. Now I have negative associations for nearly every note. But they sound like they really work together, so I'm hoping that fact and the fact that I really want a perfume named Shattered will make me like this one.

In vial: I can't find the right words for this, but it's cool and crisp. After much sniffing, I pick out the grapefruit note and eventually the mint.

On skin, wet: It's doing grapefruit's typical Pledge dance, but only slightly. There's an increasing coolness and a tiny bit of mustiness from the champagne. I think there's a good chance I'll keep this imp around.

On skin, dry: Very effective at clearing my nose. It smells vaguely like lemongrass. The throw is decent...not a powerful scent at a distance, but I can tell it's there.

After time: Pretty faint after not much time, but I'd attribute at least half of that to the amount and location of application. It's not doing any of the horrible things that I'd expect these notes to do.

Conclusion: Quite nice overall. I'm keeping it for occasional use (I can imagine it working well for me in some of the situations TAL oils were designed for), but probably not interested in regular wear. I'd prefer if the grapefruit were replaced with lime.

Imp: Sharp and delicate. It is what glass would smell like if it smelled like anything. Grapefruit and mint, with something sharp and tingly that might be the champagne.

Wet: More mint then before. I've had this awhile and it has gotten more minty with age. Still plenty of grapefruit.

Drydown: Minty grapefruit goodness. This is maybe the only aquatic-note scent I can wear, and I quite like it.

Headache I have, mintyness desired.

In the vial: aquatic mint, a mermaid sucking a polo.

Wet: Mint and something unpleasant. I know - towels that have been left damp in a bag after the gym. urgh.

Dry: The mint has vamooshed. I get a mild grope of grapefruit under musty towel.

And?...: My skin makes it nasty, very nasty. Grumble.

whoa, this scent goes through quite a few changes on my skin, most of them unpleasant and unsavory! i don't know why, but i had thought shattered was one of those mysterious, non-descriptive oils that didn't tell you which notes are in it...and those usually end up surprisingly good on me. so when i started smelling a combination of listerine mouthwash and cat pee on my skin during the wet and damp stages, i had to go look at the description...and there it be: grapefruit. ugh. at least i well know now that citrus of any type is just wrong on me. i suspect the "white champagne" bits are also guilty, as i normally do not have any love at all for the white wines. i like lotus sometimes and aquatic blooms all of the time, so this is a bit of a shame, but it really does make me relieved when some scents just plain don't work...helps to shave down the list of bpal loves :P for my bright, clean, "crisp" aquatic needs, i shall reach for tempest.

wet, the mint and crystalline notes are alive and sharp, but don't break the skin. (despite the description's 'aquatic' note listing, i dont get any of that here, thankfully) very much like glass! the grapefruit --tangy and friendly-- is noticeably in back. so far i really like this

dry, the mint and crystalline notes dry off to the lotus coming up. after even more drying, the champagne warms up, with the grapefruit always present. grapefruit, done right, is one of my favorite scents and this is perfect. must have a bottle of this one!!! :P

In Vial: This smells incredible

Wet: The mint is so light. Gives it an incredible crispness. So clean with a tiny bit of something dark underneath which keeps this from smelling overly "pure".

Dry: The grapefruit really comes out now and while I like grapefruit notes, I don't like it in this. It kills it for me.

Imp: Minty and refreshing. It is reminiscent of sharp glass.

Wet: There is an immediate cooling effect on the skin.

Dry: The scent fades easily, though it is still pleasant.

Overall: Something to use for non-special occasions.

Another favourite from Bewitching Brews!

I received an imp of Shattered this morning. To me it smells like a combination of mint and rose.

Lovely! 5ml methinks..

:P

In the imp, this is all mint. Slightly sweet, freshly crushed leaves of mint. As soon as it hits my skin, and for the 10 minutes following, it has a powerful cooling effect. As in the insides of my elbows and my wrists actually feel cold! But then the sensation is gone, taking the mint with it.

Left behind is a slightly masculine, very watery scent. I don't really get the grapefruit in here, which I would have liked, but this is a nice one nonetheless.

In the imp: Minty, with a hint of bitter citrus.

On skin, wet: mint and grapefruit.

During drydown the aquatics slowly blossom, and the sweetness of the lotus comes in to temper the shock of the mint.

Long staying power, and after several hours it's an odd, minty aquatic that I'd swear has a touch of musk- but maybe that's my own skin musk?

I like this very much. It reminds me of both Schrodinger's Cat and Envy, only without the lavender.

In the Bottle: Sharp mint

Wet: Same as in the bottle, sharp mint that immediately warms my skin. I actually didn't like this at first, glad I waited for the drydown.

Dry: Sharpness of the mint is beginning to fade and and the champagne come out and then the floral and citrus. An hour later no one note was dominate instead they all blended perfectly into a cool and invigorating scent.

Whoa, in the imp this is a sharp ozoney mint. Tingly and refreshing-I can see this being a lovely summer scent, especially if the mint holds up on my skin.

Oh, this is a lovely white floral mint! Tingly in just the right way-and a bit bubbly, likely from the champagne notes. Wow, I like this even more than I thought I would, it really is the perfect summer scent for those hot sweaty socal valley days! I do wish I got a bit more grapefruit from this, but still, I'm really digging it. I am going to give it some time to dry though, to see if the goodness will last on full dry down.

Unfortunately, it does fade dramatically as it dries. This is not a blend with staying power and after about a half hour I lose the mint almost entirely and am left with a nice white floral, but nothing spectacular.

That said, I'm not going to be rabidly searching for a bottle of this, but I would like to pick one up someday-I don't mind slathering and I think this is a lovely, refreshing summer scent (lol how many times can I say that in one review) and the first non foody bpal mint I've really been enjoyed.

This smells like Spearmint gum that's been left in a pocketbook a little too long, and blended in with some orange tic-tacs. I like it, very fruity and minty. In the drydown there's a tiny bit of bubbling champagne.