Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
paperdoll

Shattered

A scent as sharp as glass shards, and as brittle as a broken heart. The formula came to me - quite literally - in a dream, and is named after, and created in memory of, the last poem that I ever wrote… almost ten years ago to the day. A blend of white champagne notes, grapefruit, lotus, slivered mint and crystalline aquatic blooms.

I tried Shattered over and over again, hoping that it will be predominantly mint or grapefruit if I just try it one more time.
It starts out on my skin as a fuzzy, muted grapefruit with occasional glimmers of mint. It has an undertone of dried flowers, softening the grapefruit.
Then the grapefruit goes away and it smells like cheap brand flower scented handsoap.
I love grapefruit and mint together. I wish I could have gotten more of them. :P

This starts out as a very strong mint and morphs very quickly into something much more complex: I smell grapefruit, something floral, and something aquatic all melded together. It works really nicely and would be especially good for hot weather. Another keeper!

A little soapy, a little sour. I'm wondering if grapefruit doesn't work on me. I think the mint is spearmint and I don't like it. This just smells bad on me. And surely the aquatic blooms go awful with my chemistry.

Eventually, the grapefruit went away and what's left is kind of light and pretty. But there's that soapiness still. Either way, it doesn't seem like something I'd wear even if it worked. I bet it's really nice on the right person.

First Sniff: Grapefruity?

On: Less sweet, more nose-tingle. Less recognizably grapefruit.

Dry: Argh, it's a very distinct scent I've smelled before, but I can't put a name to it. It smells like ... some scented object or substance I've run across before, like a shampoo or a deodorant cake or something. Not in a bad way. I like it.

Cheerful; not sure I'm going to keep it, but will certainly short-term keep. Probably never own a bottle.

I got a frimp of this from the lab. (thank you!) :D Shattered is masterfully blended. I am carried away by it's crystilline beauty. On me, I get no akward moments, and it does not turn soapy. This is crisp, breezy, aloof. The scent that wafts up from my skin, beckons me closer. This is so hard for me to describe. I do not get mint per se. Just a coolness, a bracing. The grapefruit adds sparkle and shine, and the Champagne notes give a tingly fizziness. It's so pretty, but angular. There is an edge to this scent, and I am entranced. This will go on my 5ml list! :P

Beth, that was some wonderful dream you had!

First on, grapefruit and mint - great wake-up scent.

Later it calms down and smells like mint/lemon. Still wonderful.

But the drydown - ah, this is the magic part. It smells - like how the world should smell - soft, ever so slightly spicy, just a touch sweet, a bit of a citrus edge, and wonderfully clean.

Probably a 5 ml won't be enough.

In the bottle: Mint over indiscernible tart notes.

Wet: Mint, grapefruit and champagne immediately mingle in a very friendly way, making a fresh, zingy combination together.

Drydown: The combination of mint, grapefruit and champagne lingers, and there's something like dried florals there, rather than fresh. I do get misty aquatics, but they're barely there. If I really concentrate I can find the bubblegum of lotus, but I prefer not to concentrate too much because I abhor this note. I barely smell it if I don't look for it. On extreme drydown it's mostly champagne with a touch of lotus and mint.

Overall: This is one of those mint blends that makes me think of the dentist's - not the best mental associations - and I think it's the mint/lotus/tart note that does it because the other culprit was Undertow. However, this is more pleasant, saved by the grapefruity goodness. It's still not a blend that I would wear, but it's refreshing and definitely a good one for mint lovers and for champagne lovers.

In the vial:

A strange mint

On me:

Just put this on and already I am thinking of Undertow, which I think smells incredibly similar. The difference between Undertow and Shattered on my skin is that Undertow was very heavy and potent and Shattered is much lighter and airer. And yet somehow they do smell strikingly similar.

The mint is not the kind of mint I enjoy - it's not a bright, fresh green mint it's kind of a salty, medicinal smelling mint (which is probably the effect of combining it with the aquatic). I get that odd smell that can only be the lotus and the end result is this sort of salty mint with aquatic lotus.

Final note:

I didn't like Undertow - the lotus and mint and aquatics together just don't suit me and this is no different. I will give it that it is much less in-your-face than Undertow is, but still not for me.

In the imp: Mint

Wet: Very sharp mint (positively sinus-clearing) with aquatic-type undertones. . I am not getting much of the citrus or the champagne.

On dry-down, the mint fades slightly and loses some of its biting edge. I am now getting a hint of the citrus, though the mint still dominates. It's now smelling like one of those citrus-menthol throat lozenges. Not my thing, I am afraid.

i get lotus and other florals with aquatics added. very light and fresh and clean. it's nice, but i tend to not like the 'clean' scents, so it's off to my swap pile.

In the vial, sharp and tangy grapefruit.

My skin is a citrus amplifier, but often with beautiful effect. And wet on my skin, I got mostly grapefruit, but a sweetish, slightly fizzy grapefruit. Its really quite dazzling and I wish this stage would last longer.

On drydown, I get a stronger floral with a hint of tanginess to it. Its very pretty and fresh.

I was hoping for something 'cooler', with a bit stronger mint, but I get no mint at all. Nonetheless, the scent is citrussy kind of refreshing, something I might splash in my cleavage on a summer's day. Maybe not quite bottle material for me, but I'm definitely keeping the imp.

Bottle: Pretty light, though it's got a bit of a bite to it. The mint is there, but it's hard to really pick out any of the other notes. They all blend pretty well.

Application: The mint is still obvious, but the other notes are starting to come out. There isn't any one that jumps out at me aside from the mint, but it's not too sharp, and it doesn't overpower the other scents.

Dry: The mint faded after a short while, and it's just a light, white scent. Everything is blended pretty well.

I like it, but it's not anything spectacular. It also didn't last long on me at all: it faded after about two hours. However, it's a really even blend, and none of the notes really jump out as overwhelming.

Mmm wow what the hell is this stuff. I mean I KNOW the notes, but when I smell it, it's just this cool, watery melon-y sweetness, with something holding it together, but I couldn't name it for my life. My skin smells clean, but better than just regular clean, like extra clean. So nice.

The madre was going through my imps, sniffing, and going "ooh" to all, and then she picked this one up and went "... WHAT IS THIS" and ran away with it shoved up to her face. And refused to give it back. And draped a towel over her head to keep the scent right up to her face.

Beth, we love you. (:

um....

well, im gonna say it was the champagne note cuz it hates me as a rule.

but it kinda reminded me of glass cleaner......

Surprisingly this was not sharp on me at all! It actually came off really soft and was mostly the crystalline aquatic blooms...soft, white, watery...slight citrus but not biting. It's very pretty but not jumping out at me.

on imp: yummy yummy yay yay. This smells like really good really expensive candy.

On me: more or less the same, less fresh, more floral/powdery. It's kind of scary, like the candy from the proverbial stranger. I'm sure this is going to become a cheer-up smell for me.

I'm doing my reviews just as I smell so that I don't forget. I must come back to say if it's long-lasting or not.

So this is the infamous Shattered I've heard about... someone frimped me an imp to try.

In the vial: Oh yeah, sparkling grapefruit. Pink in a bottle.

On the skin: Still sparkling grapefruit with a heavy punch of something floral. Very bubbly... very aquatic. It's a lovely scent, almost 'designer', if you will. Unfortunately, whatever is in it gave me a headache. Oh well.

It's very brisk & nice--I like the champagne & mint notes--but it doesn't last very long on me! :D I like it so much though, I may just get a big bottle & carry it around & bathe in it every few hours. :P

In the vial, this was all sharpness and bright notes, with the grapefruit atop a pile of mint and petals. I almost put it on last night, but it was not a scent to wear to bed!

On, it morphs like crazy: grapefruit! Mint! Something earthy and floral that smells like ... wait, does it? Yes, it smells like hay. I almost washed it off at that point, but a few morphers I tried last night (the waxy-chocolate-cherries of Centozin Whatever I Can't Spell It turned to strong, strong cloves) had taught me to wait.

So I waited.

Now, I get one of two things: Faintly but richly, I get that same luscious grapefruit that makes me love Cheshire Cat (I do like that this is a pretty mild one as far as throw). But sometimes, instead of grapefruit, I get a pale, sweet note that reminds me of little kids. Not baby powder, not anything chemical, but maybe a tiny bit no-tears shampoo. Something like that.

It's fading fast, yet coming together with crystalline clarity. I love the way these florals, whatever they are, don't assert themselves, but play nice with the other notes. I do wonder if I'll ever be able to pick out the champagne.

In the imp: Aquatics and grapefruit.

On skin: Aquatics tend not to do too well on my skin, and in this it's fighting for dominance with the tartness of the grapefruit. I get the barest hint of mint flirting around the edges of this scent.

As it dries it becomes tart aquatic grapefruit, with a cool edge given by the mint without the blend quite smelling of mint itself. It's...odd. I'm not too keen on this.

When dry, it's a heady fragrance that I don't really like. It strikes me as a very white scent.

Layering a little Perfumed Lotus over the top sweetens it a touch. I like this more with an additional touch of lotus, but ultimately I still don't think that this one will be a keeper.

Got this as a frimp from littleone101701 (I think?), which is good as I would not otherwise have tried it.

Grapefruit and mint and lotus were all I could pick up, and at first the mint was overwhelming, a toothpaste mint. I would love a mint-grapefruit toothpaste, but as a perfume maybe not. It warmed up on my skin, becoming more fruity with the mint just as a sharp edge on the top. But then on the drydown the grapefruit went off arm in arm with the mint and left me alone with the lotus. Which is...nice, but not terribly interesting. I'd probably like it more as a room or linen scent.

Damn...if I use BPAL long enough I will completely convert myself over to the mint side. :P I've been leery of mint in anything but my toothpaste for as long as I can remember. But ever since I bought Tokyo Stomp I realized how pretty mint can be, so I finally decided to give my untouched frimp of this a try after months of neglect. And it was worth the wait--I want a bottle of this as soon as possible!

Starts out as crisp, cool mint, but with a sparkling, cirtus edge. The champagne is so tangy....it's bright and refreshing and really smells insanely good with the grapefruit and mint. Even though these are all food notes, I don't think of this as foody at all. The lotus underscores everything and turns it into a beautiful, light floral.

This remains light and cool on my skin, only changing slightly into a more noticable floral as the crisper notes fade. They don't fade a lot, and it still maintains the original sparkling quality. I don't notice the aquatic notes very much, if at all. And for something with citrus notes and champagne, this lasts. I wore it from this morning until the evening and it was still faintly present on my skin when I got home from the gym. If it can last through the gym then I'm hooked, since very few blends besides my heavier/musky ones last through that.

In the imp: Oooh, this is gorgeous. A very light, clean citrus. Maybe grapefruit or pink grapefruit. Fresh, summery, and tasty. I don't get mint out of this at all.

Wet on skin: Still the nice light citrus, but a bit of something sweet is peeking out.

Drydown: ARGH! I knew this was too good to be true. As it dries down, the clear, fresh citrus disappears and the sweetish scent comes out until it is pure Ivory soap. Not that I mind Ivory soap as soap, but I don't want to smell like it!

After an hour: Pure soap. Gives me a headache. And I so wanted to like this one!

Throw: Average. I can smell it a bit while typing, but it's not overpowering.

Verdict: The imps are off to the swap/sale pile. This doesn't work for me. :P

This is going to be the strangest connection to make, but this reminds me of something from a scratch 'n' sniff book I had when I was little. The book was "Billy Bunny Follows His Nose", or something like that, and featured a bunny having an exciting day by smelling things. I can't remember exactly what it was he was smelling that this reminds me of, but I think-- and this is going to sound really odd-- that it was a rose.

All that speaks to is the inferiority of the scents in my scratch 'n' sniff book. Or maybe my memory. Maybe it was the pine tree that smelled like this, I don't know...

Ok, anyways. I don't smell much champagne, which is I think what called me to this scent's description in the first place. There's a slightly spritzy scent of grapefruit, and the smell of sliced mint. The mint is prominent, but not over-powering. The blend is, indeed, sharp, and somewhat piecey-- things don't necessarily fit together perfectly, although they don't harm one another. It's very cold. I wonder when I'll wear this, what kind of mood I'd have to be in? I'm interested to see. I'll keep it for now.