Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Simplicity and innocence, gleefully despoiled! Sugared violet.

This is the first violet scent that I've tried and wasn't sure what to expect.

In the bottle: sweet, floral and somewhat sharp and powdery.

On me: at first, this is way too strong for me. It's powdery, sweet and a little too much. After the drydown though, this calms down and turns into a pleasant scent. I am almost tempted to gnaw at my arm. :yum:

Overall: I really like this, even more than Hope which I thought would be my favorite as I love roses. However, I like this even more paired with Hope.

Same sort of review I gave Hope, the best part of these oils is their simplicity :) I adore BPAL's violet note and after getting out of the shower with my Lucky Chick violet/mimosa scrub, Faith is the perfect scent addition. I'm just wrapped in a a cavity-inducing cloud of sugary goodness. Ahhhhhhh! :D

Bottle: Sweet violets.

Wet: This goes a bit baby powdery at first. The sweet note definitely amps up and gets very fuzzy. It takes a while to calm back down.

Dry: Gentle, sweet violets. It's very simple but very distinct. Not old fashioned but definitely classic. It's a little flirty but in an odd way. I wouldn't go on the prowl and wear this to a bar but I'd be more than happy to wear it to a work function and flirt a little with my workmates. It's very nonethreatening. The violet is strong and sweet in this and just absolutley perfect.

Throw: Strong.

Overall: Dangit. The Carnaval just keeps sucking me back in. I dread the next update because there are so many scents that I desperately need to be stocking up on.

This is one of the most apt descriptions the lab could pen. Its straight up sugar and violets...and you know what?

I like it :lol:

Violets don't really like my skin or my nose, but a small dab of this is lovely on me. Just like it sounds: Sweet and sugary violets, the kind you'd eat with wedding cake.

Not much to say except once again... Love!

It's exactly what the description says: sugared violet. Although I wish it was a little less sugar and more violet.

Still it is a very lovely scent that compliments her sister, Hope, very nicely. I love wearing them together.

:wub2: This is sugared violet heaven. It smells exactly as the description suggested it would.

I want to lick my arm. :yum:

I do wish there were just a hint more violet to this one, but I'm still in love.

My goodness! The Lab's violet note has broken my heart many times in the past, but Faith just put an end to my quest for a BPAL violet that works on me.

This is a deceptively simple blend - it's sweet and girly and frilly and deep and enthralling and paradoxical :lol:

Yes, it is very sugary and does turn powdery, but it is never cloying (I do love sweet and powdery scents mind you...) Miraculously, the sugar note stays true on my skin instead of smelling burnt as it so often does. Hurray!

I can see the comparisons to Antique Lace, but Faith reminds me even more strongly of Boo, if you replaced the vanilla with violet.

Faith is one of these scents that create a subtle cloud of fragrance around you - it may not seem like it has much throw, but you'll keep catching whiffs of it surrounding you, and you'll still smell it on your coat or your pillow days later.

A bottle is definitely in order.

This scent is purely sugared violets. Sweet, candided purple flowers. Doesn't last long, and doesn't have a large throw (as violet usually does). But it's a lovely simple scent. Just as the description. No morphing. From bottle to drydown, candied violets. Lovely!!

Bottle: deliciously mouthwatering candied violets.

Wet on Skin: powdered violets and spun cotton candy. I really understand now the comparison to Pink Sugar. It’s a slightly more adult version of that popular Aquolina confection.

Drydown: it’s so nice and smooth and creamy and yummy.

Like Hope, this is exactly as described - sugared violets. Unlike Hope, the violets and sugar stay in relative balance on my skin. I think this might be the same sugary/vanillay kind of scent that TKO is, but with violets instead of lavender. It's quite comforting and pretty. It stays rather cool, but really nice.

In the bottle, I smelled amazingly lovely violets sweetened with sugar. A little creamy, but not overly so. Just perfect actually. The violets are still crisp and flowery, rather than candied. Mmmm.

As soon as I apply this, it sweetens even MORE. The creaminess becomes far more prominent and now I'm smelling candied creamy violet custard with way too much sugar. What. Happened? The crispness of the sugared violets in the bottle completely disappeared. I feel more like I'm smelling sugar violets than sugared violets.

I thought I would love this scent, but alas it is too creamy and far too sweet on me. The violets in Faith don't hold their ground like the roses do in Hope, and unfortunately the sugar takes over making the blend EXTREMELY sweet. I'll give this a week or may be a few weeks until I decided to swap. I really, really wanted to love this one. If worse comes to worse I'll decant some and sell the rest.

Sigh... Oh Faith. Why did you not work when I so looked forward to our relationship? It appears Hope has seduced me instead!

imp: a very light sugary floral. this reminds me of a violet perfume i used to buy as a teenager.

wet: super-light, lightly-sweet violets. this smells very victorian, so feminine and pretty.

dry: this dries to the softest, sweetest violet imaginable. i think this would be excellent for a little girl or anyone feeling girlish at heart.

I got the Bottle about 6 months ago, and with all the tempting reports from the other reviewers I thought I'd splurge and try it out.

Faith didn't get very far, it just turned into powered soap on me. No sugar, no violets just soapy baby powder. boo. Hope was the exactly same way and usually the Roses get a better response.

Got an imp from Janelle_Hell aka the Easter bunny and am so glad I did.

first of all, sugar and violet are two of my favorite notes, so how could this go wrong?

it couldn't. It is AMAZING. The sugar is more a stand out than the violet, but they just meld together so perfectly. I want to eat it and bathe in it. I want to smell like it everyday.

This is the feeling that I look for when deciding whether to buy a bottle or not. None of that "well...maybe." No, this is YES, I MUST BUY. It is in my top 10 for sure.

Very light, sweet violets. Fades after about one hour on my skin. Very, very pretty, but so, so faint and just not me.

when I ordered Hope & Faith, I was looking for a version of Antique Lace that was a bit more upfront with the florals, and I got almost exactly that. In the bottle this one smelled like terrifyingly sweet bubble gum to me. After applying the violet comes out a bit more, but it becomes hard to catch over time. On my skin the slightly dusty sweetness dominates. The violet hangs around, but stays a bit bubblegummy. Faith doesn't come off as sophisticated as its rose counterpart or Antique Lace, so I doubt I'll wear it as much, but it's still a yummy smell. I think I remember my bottle of AL mellowing out a bit over time, so I might see if this one improves with age.

Wet: Violet pastilles.

Drydown: As it dries, Faith almost takes on a creaminess.

Dry: Creamy soft, slightly sweetened violet. This is just lovely.

Overall: I certainly like Faith a lot better than her twin. If I ever wanted to feel super girly, I would go for Faith in an instant.

I hold out great hope for violets. I HATED the Fresh violet perfume I tried, but I remain optimistic about this one.

In the decant: Candy and flowers. Very promising.

Wet: Sweet, with a not-quite-medicinal edge. I could go for this.

Drydown: Lots of sugary sweetness. Just a touch of violet.

Later: This is quite pleasant. This is the first violet scent I’ve really liked. It’s perfect for this time of year, too!

In the decant, this smelled AMAZING and I couldn't wait to try it!

First applied, it was great on my skin, but then it was GONE in 10 minutes. Completely. To Nothing.

Le sigh. I'll probably use the rest in a scent locket, but looks like I won't be getting a bottle.

First impression: I think I died and went to sugary violet heaven.

:wub2:

Second impression (after wearing it for a few hours): I am bowled over by this scent. In the last three months of experimenting with BPAL, I have learned that I really love sugar and violet notes. Put them together and Faith is an amazing discovery for me! I think I have just found one of my most favorite scents ever.

The longer it's on I notice the violet fades but doesn't get powdery on me. The sugar comes to the forefront and is beautiful. The throw is better than I expected and it's lasting a long time. Yay! So happy I ordered the Hope and Faith set based on reviews alone. Haven't skin tested Hope yet but she smells great in the bottle. Partial to Faith, though. Oh, SO partial!!! :)

Edited by Antoinette

I knew this wouldn't work out on me, violets and me don't get along well...

This is very strong violet scent, that goes from a nice single scent floral to dreadful powdery soapy scent in 30 minutes. Like some old soap that my Grandma used to keep in the dresser. Not for me, but for violet lovers (like violet scented stuff from Lush), this is a must have.

Edited by milica

In the bottle, wet, and dry, Faith is the same: violet buttercream frosting (a hint of vanilla).:yum: Never a hint of soapiness for me, it's stays sweet and foody. A strong scent with good throw and lasting power. The sugary-vanilla notes stick around for ages, the violet gets less intense with time. I love it, so glad I bought a bottle.

Creamy, sugared violets. Although I adore it, I have to say I prefer Hope. Together they make magic!