Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Simplicity and innocence, gleefully despoiled! Sugared violet.

Imp: dead ringer for violet candies, in a sharp and juicy way
Wet: mmmm powdery violet candy
Dry: Violets love me and I love violets. This is my very first BPAL sugared floral and... :D The powdery sugar is just gorgeous. So pretty and feminine! Gives it a soft vintagey feel... Sigh... I don't know about wearlength, but this is the kind of scent where it doesn't really matter, it's just that gorgeous on application. (will edit if it changes alot in a couple of hours)

I should have maybe bought Pink Moon :P

Woooo! I finally got a bottle of Faith. I really love violets in some blends, but lately I'd been striking out with them, so I was a bit hesitant about trying this one out. However, my fears were abated. This is a simple scent, but a lovely one--pretty much like everyone says, it's a sweet violet (what a shock!). What makes this blend appeal to me is the fact that the violet note, which is a deeper floral, keeps the entire perfume from becoming sharp or overly candy-like, at least on my skin. Many thanks to wichapi for the bottle!

Like a lot of people have already said, Faith is like Antique Lace plus violet. It's a total comfort scent for me, something snuggly and floral-creamy that makes me want to curl up on the sofa and read a book. It's also perfect for the transition between winter and spring somehow. As it fades, it evolves into just the most lovely milky violet, the equivalent of a sheer purple that just hangs on and on. I'm so glad I got a bottle!

My little decant of Faith is reminding me every day that I should really go and make good on giving bottles of Faith and Hope a home with me (:

In the imp, it's all sweetness and slightly musky-powdery, and I guess that's what violets smell like! Yep, still a newbie nose *grin* It only knows that it likes something, and usually doesn't know what it is that it likes!

Wet on skin, it's lovely and creamy and sweet and a little floral, definitely snuggley sort of scent.

Once dry, there's nothing sharp about this scent, it smells so comforting to me.

A few hours after application, its faded to a lovely skin scent on me. I am going to have to save to bring these sisters home to me before CD goes away!

Oh. This is absolutely lovely. I am so very impressed by this scent, along with its sister, Hope.

First sniff: Light, clean, a little sweet. It smells a little antiseptic-esque in the bottle, which initially worried me.

Wet on Skin: Whoa, sugar! This is like...sugar with a top note of something that gives you a headache (the violet, I assume, since I don't think I've tried a violet blend before), but you don't care because it is so intoxicating. Normally notes like these (the headachey ones...jasmine, I am looking at you...) make me want to wash a scent off of my wrists, but this one is strangely okay...

Dry: I am in love with this scent. Totally, utterly in love. It is so simple and so beautiful. I smell like how I imagine the most beautiful woman in the world would smell. This is such a gorgeous scent...and it smells so organic...the different notes blend together like they were made for one another.

I totally expected to not like the violet...I made my order mainly because of Hope...I wanted the sugared roses. But I am so surprised...and now I have to order more, so I never run out! :P

I am not sure what to add about this fragrance that hasn't already been captured so well by the other reviewers. I'll just have to add my love to the fan list for this one because this is heart melting! Very dreamy...I just want to float around when I wear this.

Lush, pure violets and powdered sugar. Sweet, but not heavy/gooey sweet. This couldn't be more beautiful. Violets are one of my favorite flowers too. Even the soft, powdery note as it dries down is addictive.

I am absolutely, without a doubt getting a back up of Faith (and Hope)!

Imp: Sweetened violets - something almost candy-like about it

Wet: Yup, candied violets. The ones on top of wedding cakes. Mmmmm.

Dry: Violet gelato. Seriously. I want to eat my wrist.

But my skin eats it, and I love her rosy sister more, so I'll split up the twins and pass her along.

Carnaval Diabolique: Faith

Having tried Numb and finding out that it contains violets, I wasn't sure about Faith.

In the Bottle:

OOO - How wrong was I about doubting Faith?

EXTREMELY!

:P

She really is the sister of Hope!

Where Hope had mountains of sugar with an undercurrent of Rose, so Faith is a mountain of sugar with an undercurrent of delicious violets!

LOVE!

;)

On my Skin, Wet:

Uh-Oh!

Here I go amping violets again!!

B)

Phew! ok - the sugar is coming out to play, so far so good!

mmmmm - sugared candied violets, sort of juicy in a weird way too.

but weird in a very good way!

On my Skin, Dry:

Wonderous sugary voilet candy - but not at all little-girl-ish.

These are vixen sugared voilet candies not toddler sugar violet candies!

This somehow retains it's weird juiciness.

I am very pleased with the notion that Faith is a JUICY sugared violet, I just wish I could place the juicy note.

Maybe a single drop of peach or plum?

:D

Verdict:

Ah, screw it - I don't care what the juicy note is! :)

Beautiful Faith!

I adore you and your sister!!

You are what I had hoped Numb would be - except that you are FAR superior than my anticipations of the violet notes!

ooooo - wouldn't it be GREAT if there were more sugared flowers in the GC?

:D

Mmmmm! Sugared violets! I didn't really like Hope, but I like Faith a lot. The sugar seems to be just as strong as the violets -- very well-balanced. This is lovely.

In the bottle: supersweet syrup with a hint of violet...

Wet: Sweets... like the inside of a tic-tac, but without the mint, if that makes any sense. A sort of warm sweetness.

Drydown: Very smooth, sweet violet. Which turns to burnt caramel. Uh-oh. It smells fresh, too, and actually reminds me a lot of Numb. After a while the burnt smell lifts, and I'm left with powdered sugar and violets.

Overall: This is Numb without the lemon after being burnt to a charcoal-sugar mess. After a long drydown it's more acceptable, but I still find it smells like sun cream or soap. Not my thing.

I split Hope & Faith with kittyflop :P as she is on the quest for a good rose blend, and I've recently become All About the Violets.

In the bottle and wet, this is more soapy floral than sugary floral to my nose. I have recently discovered that my skin loves the sugars so I knew it was just a matter of drydown and time... I'm now enveloped in a warm, sweet, light purple haze of deliciousness.

This isn't an everyday scent for me (it is just on this side of going soapy at any moment), but definitely one I'll reach for when I want to feel girlie with a touch of naughty.

In the bottle: First sniff, pure violets. Second sniff, vanilla sugar.

On my skin: This must be what candied violets are like. I think I'm in love! Faith is definitely for floral lovers of any age. It's soft, sweet, and so, so feminine.

I'll be sorry when Faith leaves town with the Carnaval, but until then, this is going to be a whirlwind love affair.

I'm not really a violets fan, but I felt obliged to try Faith out simply because I love her sister so much. I find that the balance between the sugar and violets does stay better for longer than with Hope (the sugar takes over after a while), but I prefer the rose note. Violets just don't work for me.

Like Hope, this one is pretty much the same wet, dry, and in the bottle, for me: it's SUGAR and violets. White, candy sugar. Violet is naturally sweet and a little bright in character, so I think the violet blends a little more with the sugar than the rose does. (Hope is like sugared rose, Faith is like violet scented sugar.) Together, they're sweet, sweet, sweet!

If you like violet and want a sweet blend, then give it a try. It's lovely if you like violets or sugar notes. Hope and Faith definitely have a youthful, innocent quality. Faith is perhaps the more youthful of the two.

Normally I love Rose and Violet, and the lab's notes work fine on my skin, so I had high hopes for these, but unfortunately, they turn rather unpleasant and soapy on my skin. Oh well!

Edited by naeelah

I love violet, but so many violet notes that are out there don't really work for me. However, I had hope for Faith, and it wasn't misplaced!

Faith is pretty consistant, all through from wet to the next day! This scent lasts and lasts and lasts! And I adore it, as one of my alltime favorites, now! :P

Sugared violets indeed. It is sooooo sweet! But still incredibly violet. What it reminds me most of is those square violet mints that are so heavenly. Very sweet, very violet, not numbing or soapy like some violets I've encountered---"clean" comes to mind--can you have that with sugar syrup? This scent is amazingly consistant, has a good throw (a co-worker asked "what is that gorgeous scent? I can smell it over here!" and lasts just about forever. I need to get a full bottle before the Carnaval heads out of town. Since I tend to like rose scents, I think I can suffer getting the set of Hope and Faith together. :D

I adore violets, absolutely. I had very high expectations for Faith.

In the imp, sugary! Extremely so, with a hint of violet. Like my favorite violet pastilles. Too sweet for me, actually. I was hoping for violet with a sprinkling of sugar, not the reverse. So, let's try it on.

Hrm....still very, very sweet. I'd imagine violet cake frosting to be like this.

As it fades, just a vague sweetness. I'm trying to smell the violet at this point and it's not happening. It is lovely, sweet and evocative of innocence though. This scent will be good for the girly girls. I still maintain Sybaris as the ultimate BPAL violet though.

This is a beautiful scent. It smells just like a sweet I used to eat as a kid called Parma Violets. On my skin, it doesn't change very much- which is a good thing, since it's perfect! Absolutely lovely.

Edited by Laz

This starts out very much the sugar note on me but it smells like a fake sugar—as if someone melted sweet’n low on my skin. After a bit the sugar fades down a bit to meld with the violets which start to come out but this is still very saccharine sugar which I find a bit off-putting. I can see how this might smell like fantastic violet candy on some people but, sadly, it took a wrong turn on my skin somewhere along the line.

Rating: 2/5

Edited by Lunaratu

I really dislike florals and they dislike me. So I tried Faith with some scepticism.

So, I was pleasantly suprised when what came up from it was a buttery creamy fragrance with none of the nasty floral I really dislike.

Only issue with it is that it is really quiet, I can only smell it if I shove my nose onto my arm and sniff hard.

Wet this is sugar and violet. It reminds me of the violet candies I had when I was little. When first on this smells the same- like violet candies. The sugar note is very prominent and somewhat overwhelming. It begins to soften after about a half hour. This dries down to a creamy, sweet violet. I really liked the idea of Faith but I think the sugar note is just too strong even though in Hope it's not. I ended up sending this to a better home.

In the bottle this was so yummy and perfect: candied violets and thick powdered sugar icing, innocent and youthful but somehow entirely adult, and I loved it. It started off gorgeous wet, too, but when it dried it turned horribly wrong. It smelled like a Hug-A-Jug, one of those awful pure-sugar drinks, with a faint note of hand soap underneath. I sniff this on my skin and immediately think of Little League games from my childhood. Not something I want to smell like at work or out for the evening.

I passed this one off to the munchkin. If anyone can pull off a childishly sweet scent it's an eight year old, right? Imagine my surprise when she tried it on and the violets deepened, the sugar faded to a bare hint, and she was left with the gorgeous, delicate scent I originally fell in love with. :P Little monster, I'm sending her out to work to fund her own BPAL habit! :D

It drives me to incoherence. One word: edible. Sweet and edible and grape-like. But real grapes, not that fake grape flavor that tastes nothing like the real thing. NOM NOM NOM

It smells exactly like it's supposed to: sugared violet. It is dusky and purple and sweet, and it has the right amount of throw and wearlength. It pairs really well with Hope, either side by side or else layered. Try it, you'll love it!

Initially violets and candy, whilst Hope feels overpowered by the candy; Faith is the perfect balance between sweetness and violet on my skin. I've always hated the taste of palma violets but for some odd reason I can't get enough of this scent.

I'm thinking about getting a second set before the Carnival leaves town. :D I thought I'd love Hope more but Faith has stolen my heart and is quite unrepentent about it.

:P

Edited by Astarte

Wet, it's nothing but pure violet and then the sugar hits though it's not as sweet as I hoped. So far this is probably the most violet scent I've tried. A few minutes later it gets sweeter and has very strong throw and lasting power. I don't think it's sweet enough for me to keep.