Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
blackrayne

June Gloom 2004

JUNE GLOOM

Teddy's gloriously dismal creation. As a lover of rainy days, grey skies and chill air, summer is his antithesis. A spell of June Gloom is always welcome in our household. A bouquet of bright summer flowers dampened by the scent of morning mist and rain.

Wow.

From the bottle... fresh, light flowers of the mixed summery variety, with the crisp freshness of a summer rain.

When first applied... this is just so amazingly relaxing and cheerful to me...though as a lover of summer rains, I didn't expect anything else. Smells the same as in the bottle, may dry down a bit differently, but I will have to wait a little while to find out.

Stay tuned for a small update when this does dry down on me. :D

ETA - dry down... this still smells divine! The flowers have become a bit lighter, as has the crisp wetness, it is as if I went from being in the middle of the rain and dew covered flower bed to about 10 yards away from it. Still beautifully gloomy, though. :P

I'm second?!?!? :P

In the bottle: First whiff - Lemon Pledge. Second Whiff - something sweeter. More like Lemonhead candies. I'm not usually into lemons, so we'll se how this goes.

Wet: Still VERY lemony, but there's something lurking back behind it. Maybe it'll mellow out at dry-down. But sniffing my wrists is making me happy. :D

Dry: The lemon's faded a little to the background and other notes are coming up. It's much lighter than when it was wet. Goodness, I wish I could pluck out individual scents and identify them for you guys, but I'm so horrible at that!

One whiff and it's you in the house on a rainy, rainy summer afternoon after you've spent the morning cleaning, but are now settling down for a comfy day with the family. The next, it's that scent that lingers in the air right after it rains, and it's getting warmer again, and the flowers are moist and warm and sending their scents into the air, but there's a hint to the sky that it's about to rain again.

I love it!!! I'm going to have to ration out my 5ml :D

I have lemon verbena growing outside my bedroom door. When it rains you can smell it, and it's so lovely. This is exactly what June Gloom smells like to me. Lemony at first, then dries down very softly on me. Not strong at all, just clean and lovely smelling. I really like it!

Oh, what a gloomy day! And so perfect for my first purchased limited edition to arrive. I couldn't -wait- to try it on.

In the bottle: Uh-huh. Lemon pledge .. but taking a second .. and third .. and fourth .. and fith sniff, it just gets better. This doesn't smell like Villain does on me, this is closer to the fabulous lemon shea butter cream I just found that makes me smell like lemon creme cookies. It's bright and gloomy all at once .. like the lemon's been darkened by something .. the shine of this is dulled.

Wet: It darkens even more, though it stays very lemon-pledge-y. Now it's a rainy day spent cleaning and in general staying inside, away from the summer sun because it just won't emerge from behind those clouds. It's a day spent in quiet contemplation with a whole box of lemon cookies and milk .. a day that adds 5 pounds to your hips and you just don't care.

Wearing: This will be simply amazing layered with my lemon shea butter cream. I can't imagine the day when I run out of this, though I'm sure it will happen eventually. It's a strong lemon scent .. a lighter floral behind that though .. with something heavy to weigh it all down and keep it from being a sparkly, bubbly scent. It's still a happy scent though .. better yet, it's a comfortable scent.

I have lemon verbena growing outside my bedroom door.  When it rains you can smell it, and it's so lovely.

EXACTLY, B!

I too, have Lemon Verbana growing in my yard... and after it rains, the whole yard smells JUST like 'June Gloom' does. I am floored with this scent, and will be sad when the day comes that I use my last drop.

There's nothing I like more than a scent that is a perfect mimic of something or someplace that is full of good memories for me. 'June Gloom' is that kind of scent for me, and will be a very welcomed scent when the cold winter months come.

-Leslie

In the bottle: This smells like the lemon dishsoap my grandmother always used. I used to add glycerin and a teeny bit of water, and use it to blow bubbles with.

On: Whoops. lemon pledge. It smells like a Sunday afternoon, stuck inside doing housework.

If I get myself an oil burner, maybe I'll hang onto this. It'd do nicely as a room scent.

Drying: Less lemony. This is a very good thing. Almost a spicy floral. Still yellow, though.

Dry: Very faint, quite lovely. The lemon stages aren't very pleasant for me, but if I can make it though, the dry scent is wonderful.

Initial Sniff: A sharp lemony scent. I am skeptical.

Wearing: When wet, the lemon smell is sharp - with an almost herbal edge to it. This scent is definitely wet, post-storm garden. Drydown is a beautiful sweet floral - I can't smell the lemon at all anymore.

Final Impressions: I was worried when I first smelled this (not a huge fan of lemon), but this dries down just beautifully. I will thoroughly enjoy using up my bottle!

Paperdoll's review is dead on!

Lemon, since it is a "top note", doesn't usually last long. This surprised me in how long it stayed "lemony".

Having said that, the drydown is definitely worth the wait.

It's one of those "come sit real close & you'll get a nice surprise" fragrances. :P

I really like it, just wish it lasted longer on me. (Please remember I am one of those with the weirdo chemistry.)

RHM

This scent brings back very strong and very happy memories for me.

It smells just like the breezes that used to come in on the sleeping porch of my Grandmother's house. We'd go out there with giant glasses of sweet tea or lemonade (which is why I get yummm, lemonade instead of lemon pledge when I smell it) and watch the storms roll in.

The breeze after the storm was always so nice ~ the cooler air, warm, damp flowers with a twang of lemonade still hanging in the air. Is that a drop of white musk in there to keep it warm & hazy? Whatever it is, it works.

:P thanks Ted. I know happy & sentimental wasn't your mission on this one, but it struck a special place in me. I'll be wearing it to the last drop and swapping like crzy to get more.

eta: It also makes a damn fine bath scent.

Edited by sigh

:P

This is a dancing in the rain kind of scent I am SO thankful Michelle offered me an imp in trade so I could experience this one. Once I smelled it I was taken someplace incredibly familiar but I can't put my nose on it just yet. It has that lemon verbena scent or is it lemongrass? With light flowers or something completely familiar but unknown if that makes sense. Slightly dusty but wet, once I put it on I was spinning around the house and not falling over or bumping into anything and it felt incredible. OK so I'm a dork but it is smelling really great!

Thanks for creating this one Ted!!

Edited cuz I have problems :D

:D

Edited by Nadirah

Ok, so June Gloom is all I've been wearing since I received my last BPAL order. To me in brief, it's like a combination of lemon and bubble gum. I love it! It's such a whimsical scent! And the fact that it was created by a guy is wonderful! Seriously, Brian must make more.......

ADDED Sept. 15:

I can't help it. I have to review this again. I am so in love with this scent! It is the happiest scents I have ever met! Ted/Brian, whomever made this, thank you for such a precious, wonderful bottle of UNgloom!

EDIT: Merged with followup post --Shollin

Edited by Shollin

I can't really add an awful lot to the reviews above...

It starts out lemony, which turns out more 'wet' when worn a little longer. It's not a harsh autumny downpour, but a clouded over 'can-start-to-rain-any-minute-now' day.

Too bad it's sunny. It doesn't really suit it.

I've figured it out. It smells like Sun-In.

Which for me...not such a good thing. :P

I wanted to like it but my skin slurped up the other scents and left the lemon behind.

Initially I get a really strong hit of Lemon and after that dies down I get a hint of rainbow coloured flowers, glistening damply on the table. It really evokes some strong childhood memories of mine which is terrific when a scent has the power to do that.

:P

First sniff: A lemon tree entwined with greenery and battered by a heavy downpour.

Wearing: Very solid lemon. June Gloom is pretty, but didn’t last very long at all – I think it was gone within a couple of hours. I’ll try it on again before I pass it along, but I think Phantasm is going to stay on top of my lemon list.

at first: i love lemon, and this definitely smells of lemon. however, there's a slightly not-so-nice smell of cleaning solution in there as well.

on: yup. lemon pledge. ugh. goddess please let this change on me.

2 hours later: it's gone. completely. there's the slightest hint of lemon there, but only if i really strain to smell it. i'll probably kick myself for this later, but i'm reapplying a bit.

overall: well, it disappeared again. needless to say, i'll be swapping this one.

It's not what I expected (see what I get for preconceived notions?), but it's delightful nonetheless. When I first put it on, it's lemons, only greener. Bright, clean and sharp. Eventually the sharpness fades and I'm left with a soft, slightly sweet floral. It goes very light after 3 hours, so this would either be a reapplication for me or one of those that I could slather on.

My three year old begs me to put this on him, the boy's got taste.

Wahhhh June Gloom is the first LE that doesn't work out for me :P

First sniff

Wow this smells like Lysol lemon cleaner. Very lemony and antispectic on me

When wet/Drydown

Still getting the lysol vibe but its only stronger now and with a hint of bleach. Sorry.

Aftermath

I wanted to like this but unfortunately my body chemistry just does NOT work well with it and I've swapped it away to someone who will hopefully enjoy it much more then I did.

Wet: Lemon. Cheerful lemon, though, not gloomy. This is a cold glass of really strong lemonade on a hot day.

Dry: Gah, strident lemon. I like lemon, but this really does smell like bathroom cleaner on me. Gave me a headache.

June gloom.

For me, the lemon is very intense initially, then softens and is joined by a gentle musk and something creamy.

I find that this is really good for rainy days when I just can't get myself to move out the door to work.

(I also reeeally like it in the oil burner.)

This is the other scent that my Swap Faerie (Tygher) sent me! I've been waiting paitently to try it! *bounce bounce*

In the Bottle: Lemon dishwashing detergent. It has that powdered smell of the tabs when you put them in the dishwasher, the ones with the Jet Dry in the center. Not at all what I was expecting, although my hubby should be thrilled that there is something out there that makes me think of the dishes.

On Me: Lemon candy again. :whine: I think I have enough of these already. Although, this is fairly different suddenly, not a thick candy smell, but something lingering in the background. Double Bubble Bubble Gum? Lemon bubble gum. Ew.

No, this is going to the swaps. I found a friend of mine that isn't so succeptible to the lemon verbena in the oils and she gets all of the complexity of them instead of just lemon candy. She would love this one.

A friend was kind enough to put in an imp of this in a swap and I am so glad she did! June Gloom is my favorite BPAL scent right now. Although I was kicking myself repeatedly for not ordering a bottle when it was for sale ;-) Thankfully I found one on ebay.

The lemon scent is very strong when I first put it on but it doesn't remind me of Lysol. Rather, it smells like those Lemonheads candies. Which makes me hungry :P

Then it dries down to this amazing floral.

It reminds me very very much of summers in North Carolina when I was little. We would get summer rainstorms in the afternoon that didn't do much to cool anything off and afterwards the air would be steamy with the smell of rain and summer flowers. When I wear this scent it makes me feel like that all over again. It is truly wonderful.

Edited by Longstofly

In bottle: Lemon soap. Wow. This is strong.

On me: The lemon is so strong and it isn't fading. It's been an hour and while the lemon isn't as intense as when first applied it's definitely still dominant. I haven't picked much of anything else up yet.

I smell the lemon at first but after it's been on my skin I get straight monoi de tahiti fragrance wafting up. I don't know what's wrong with my skin chemistry but I swear it turns June Gloom to Monoi de Tahiti oil in 30 minutes. I love the lemon and wanted it to last longer, Oh well can't win them all.

First sniff from the bottle: Wow! So lemony and sweet!

First impression/wet: strong scent of lemons. Almost like lemon Pledge.

Drydown: I smell like Lemonheads candy! And this is some strong stuff. This has lasted longer on me than any of the other scents I've tried so far.

I think this is a great scent but it may be too lemony and strong for me. I'm going to give it another shot though. :P