Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
blackrayne

June Gloom 2004

Teddy's gloriously dismal creation. As a lover of rainy days, grey skies and chill air, summer is his antithesis. A spell of June Gloom is always welcome in our household. A bouquet of bright summer flowers dampened by the scent of morning mist and rain.

First of all, I'd like to thank Shollin for selling me June Gloom. I have been dying to try this (the name just pulled me in) and she gave me that opportunity. :P

In the bottle: The strongest lemon scent...like Dawn dishwashing liquid. My eyes burned as I smelled it.

Initial Impression: Still lemon...with the *slightest* hint of a floral coming through.

After an hour: Wow! This is beautiful! The lemon has subsided and a sugary floral is coming through. It smells like some sort of candy..but I can't put my finger on it. This is a very pretty scent and would actually be nice as a room air freshening scent. I might have to drop some in some candles tonight...

I am not sure how I avoided doing a review for this one. June Gloom is definately one of my favorite scents. No matter how stressed or emotionally distrought I am this always makes me feel better. The lemon verbana, which many people felt was pledge-like to me seems like the herb instead. There is a slight sweetness that goes beyond that herb, but even more than that there is that sense of comfort in being inside when the weather is fierce and stormy. I have no idea how this is accomplished in an olafactory manner, but I am thrilled to have been a participent in this LE. As it is I will buy as much of this as I can get my hands on (I am in grad school; I can use all the stress relief I can get!), but I am just glad that I had an opportunity to enjoy it.

Added later:

I forgot to mention how long this one lasts. I can wear it for nearly 8 hours before it fades, and in my scent locket it has lasted nearly a month and still going strong!

Edited by omly

June Gloom isn't something that I would wear. However, I put a few drops in a spray bottle with water and spray it on my bedding at night before I go to sleep. I have the most wonderful dreams! I love it as a home scent but not a perfume.

Must say: I personally ADORE this scent! (YAY to hypothermya for donating a bottle of this stuff to me! must pass on my decanted imp now to share the joy.)

It's like that fresh lemon laundry scent to me. It's clean and crisp and lemony without being so strong it smells like lemon cleaner. After a while some very soft very sweet very light floral notes creep in. I'm not sure what they are but the lemon is still the very dominant top note. I do completely love this scent!

Oh... ohhhhh... love. :P Ted, you rock. :D

In the bottle, June Gloom is all lemon verbena and white floral, like a lemon-scented laundry detergent.

On me, the verbena's mellowed out into a very soft, sweet, clean lemon. The white florals are still strong, and there's an uplifting of sharp, tangy green grass with a touch of aquatic glisten on the blades. Soooo yummy, and reminds me of one of my favorite Yankee tarts -- Summer Fresh, I think it's called? Anyway, just utterly and completely divine.

June Gloom.

You know, for all the threats of gloom, this oil makes me deliciously happy, relaxed, and at peace. *sigh* It's bright, clean, and fresh-lemon in all of the best ways. Do I think pledge when I smell this? Oh, heck no. I think happy, sweet lemons, light rains with intermittant sunshine, spotty dark clouds, rainbows, kids jumping in puddles, and dogs shaking water everywhere. It's the kind of scent that reminds me of what I love best about summer rains. The suddeness of them. The way that they provide such vivid color contrast between the technocolor green grass and the foreboding grey skies. The way that the first drops can hiss off of hot pavement and how even the threat of polluted skies can't remove the urge to open your mouth to catch cool raindrops on your tongue. In short? June Gloom godlike. Wench waxes poetic. :D

And, as a PS, special thanks to Pekeana for the industrial sized, fat shorty of it! :P

Edited by pkwench

Lemonhead candies! This is crisp, crisp lemon that only slightly borders on Pledge-clean. :P I don't get a whole lot of floral from this, but there is somewhat of a green overtone that adds a nice warmth to it. This is a very summery scent, but one that I'd wear year-round becauseit just makes me happy. It's almost a giddy, childlike scent, and I really enjoy it.

June gloom, the feeling, not the oil, is one of my favorite things. I *love* the rain, and I love a good rain in summer. My body, however, does not like June Gloom, the oil blend. :D I smell like rotting lemons. :P

Initial Sniff: Bitter lemons. This practically made my lips pucker :P

On my skin: Still lemony....

After 1 hour: Very citrusy with a hint of something else, flowers maybe? I hope the flowers can take some of the edge off the lemons...

Final verdict: Unfortunately this turned to lemon cleaner on me. The flowers all but disappeared. My skin doesn't agree with lemons apparently.

Lemon! All I get is lemon that smells like Lemonheads. But I love that smell, so it's great! Smelling June Gloom makes me think of summer--particularly the days when the sky is very grey, right before a summer storm when the humidity is through the roof and there's that sense that *something* is about to happen.

Having finally gotten to test an imp of this I was hoping against hope that it didn't do the typical verbana/lemon/pledge switch on me but alas so sad. I do have to say that unlike some of the more lemony fresh blends, this one stayed lemon on me the entire time. Sigh. I'm dissapointed in my chemistry but not totally unsurprised. Oh well, swapping away.

June Gloom:

Wet: Very lemony....very much like lemonheads candy and it has a lot of throw (and I mean a lot!!!)

Dry: The lemon scent almost completely dissappears and I'm left with a lovely soft floral

There is a "watery" component in there too.

I have to say, I love this!

Sunnier than I hoped. It is bright yellow sunshine and rain...which fits LA but it isn't what I am looking for.

It was better than Storm Moon though.

I am a BPAL newbie...so upon reading about June Gloom THIS year..and then realizing that this was a LE from last year put me in a determined mood. :evil:

MUST somehow get this..because..well...I am June baby..and sorta NEEDED to experience this BPAL with my birthmonth written all over it. :P

So..off to the For Sale thread..which I checked obsessively until the boards went down..OH NO :D

Plan B: EBAY. Yep...scoured that too and finally I hit it on the right day because wouldn't you know..someone was selling...WOO HOO :P

When I get in my head that I HAVE to try something..it almost becomes my life's mission..so yeah..I was in a bid of a bidding war..but in the end I came out victorious..so I was really, REALLY happy to know it was on it's way...and less than 6 weeks wait no less...YAY :D

Did I mention that patience is something I need to work on???LOL... :D

Anyways..onto the review..here I go:

Straight from bottle: Okay...this smells tart...like Smarties almost...so there is a small whisper of sweetness..but the first thing I could think of when describing was Smarties....

Second whiff from bottle:Not so much Smarties..but lemon..Lemonheads?? Ummm no. Actually I am getting a Lemon Pledge moment... :D Don't know how I feel about this...hmmm...

Wet on wrists:Ummm..YEAH...it is definitely the Lemon Pledge vibe all over me...this isn't good... :)

Dry on skin:Lemon Pledge has softened and I now have a soft lemon floral emanating from my body. Not bad.

Bottom Line:I don't despise this fragrance...it's just that the lemon/lemon verbena notes are amped up on me to the point of Lemon Pledge..and I just don't feel comfortable smelling like that. I had such HIGH hopes for June Gloom..but I am happy that I at least got the chance to try this...hopefully it will find itself a good home. Oh well.

The first sniff was of lemon dishwashing soap, which I really dont like at all. But I put it on anyway. It changes quickly to something more sweet but still lemony. The dishwashing soapy smell quickly leaves. As it dried down I am getting a nice sweet floral scent. The diy down is worth the wait. I guess I will take it out of the swap pile after all.

Initial/wet: Yup, have to agree with the "lemon pledge" assessment.

5 min later: cheery lemon candy. Where's the florals?

15 min later: very very slight floral behind all the lemony-ness. It's very odd. In order to sniff the florals, I have to approach it from the side. If I sniff directly over, just lemon. If I sniff from the side, I get slight flowers.

45 min: lemon scent is 75% gone, and the little bit of floral stands out slightly better. Nice, but very light. I'll have to give this a try during hot weather, it disappears a bit too fast during normal temps.

Bought an imp of this from someone on LJ. It's my first BPAL scent!

Now, just a warning...I don't wear perfume a lot, so I'm pretty much a fragrance newbie as well as BPAL one.

Initially, the lemon is very strong. I can see where the Pledge comments come from.

After a little while, the lemon calms down and I smell lemon plus something sweet.

This fades pretty quickly on me...however, I only used a tiny dab of oil. I didn't think I would like this when I first smelled it, but it's growing on me. I think I'd like to make this into a room spray or something.

Thank you Astrid for this...I love it!

wet :fresh and astringent like fresh cut up lemons with a bit of wet nap in the back.

dryer: reminds me of lemon heads candy

dry: the bitterness of the rind comes out in the end. it's still very lemony and fresh and there's an aquatic note in the background. it's lovely really. Very light and nice.

it's like a bottle of sunshine

In the bottle: Holy crap - that's the lemoniest thing I've ever smelled.

On: This smells like lemongrass to me - in fact, when I try June Gloom, I get this odd craving for Thai food. I smell no morning rain or mist; it's just very strong lemongrass.

Overall: While I love lemongrass, and woul dcurrently kill someone for a bowl of Tom Yum soup, I'm not personally very invested in the idea of smelling like my favorite Thai restaurant. My skin seems to really play up citrus, and June Gloom is no exception to the rule.

I usually really enjoy Beth's lemon note. It's usually milk, sweet, and smooth. However, the lemon note I detect in June Gloom smells almost detergent-y :P I'm not sure whether it's a different lemon note or whether the florals (which waft in and out of the background are altering the lemon note, but unfortunately, it meant that I didn't enjoy June Gloom as much as I would have liked =/

I only got an imp of this..I have been trying to find the PERFECT lemony scent. Banshee wasn't really cutting it so I thought I would try June Gloom...after losing alot of auctions I finally got it. Now I need at least a 5ml of this now (so if you hate it you know who to pm)

I wear teo deoderant from lush and needed a perfume to balance it out.

I can see how people get lemon pledge from this..but I like it because it just smells clean and fresh. It reminds me of my house after a cleaning spree..so it is like a reward in a bottle for not even doing any house work.

mmm I love it (my 1st review yea)

From the imp: Lemony.

On me, wet: Like a lemondrop.

On me, drying down: A very happy lemon

Impression: No gloom. Where's the gloom? If gloom smells like this, sign me up.

Verdict: I know just who'd like this. :P

In the bottle: Sweet and tart at the same time, this reminds me of a spice in the kitchen somewhere. I'm not sure which one, and I'm not going to run around sniffing all of them right now so I hope that it hits me later.

Wet: Lemon pledge. I like lemon pledge, I do, but I'm not sure I like smelling like it. Lemon pledge with a faint aquatic note in the background that must be the mist and rain. This smells very fresh and very bright. Bright yellow and greens.

Dry down: And now it starts to get a little sweeter while still keeping that odd lemon pledge note to it. Hmmm...it's kinda like lemon pledge and medicine now. Hard to really describe. The throw is very familiar but yet another scent that alludes me. Thankfully the medicine note dies out and leaves me with the lemon pledge scent some more. Checking the forum assures me that it is not my crazy nose. Good. I was worried. Unfortunately, this is giving me a headache in a big way so this is not going to work.

Dry: Lemon pledge and a headache. I'm glad I got to try it but this one will have to find another home else my head is like to burst. It does have an intriguing spicy note to the lemon that leaves me wondering what it is but the pain soon makes me just want to wash it off.

Bottle (Imp): Lemony flowers.

Just On: Lemon Pedge. My skin turns another one into lemon pledge. I really kinda like it.

An hour or two later: This is super faded, so it goes away fast on me. I would rather it stayed, it was a pleasant lemon pledge kinda thing.

Around 6 hours: Barely a hint of lemon pledge (remember I *like* lemon pledge, so I'm likely to buy bigger bottles of these, when available).. It just fades so quickly, that's my only complaint here.

12 hours: Completely gone.

Overall: I really like this scent. I know some folks don't like the lemon pledge effect, but I almost always do. The flowers never go soapy on me with this, which I love. I just wish it would last longer, this is gone way faster than usual.

After reading other reviews: Oh yes, I get the lemon pledge thing. Like some of the others, it's a good scent association for me, so this is an enjoyable scent all in all.