Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

What a great freakin’ word. BPAL LOVES TEH SMUT! Three swarthy, smutty musks sweetened with sugar and woozy with dark booze notes.

Oh yum. :P Sugared musk indeed. And strong. Almost "apply with a toothpick" strong. This is very sexy; not down and dirty sex, but slap and tickle sex. Fun romps (repeatedly) in a big bed sexy. It's musky without being overwhelmingly earthy and sugared without being syrupy. It doesn't have the 'tang' red musk sometimes has, but I can definately tell there's red musk in the blend. If Spellbound is red musk and roses, Smut is red musk and rum. And naughty fun.

I am going to really really enjoy wearing this blend. :D

Hmm, other days it smells like latex. Strong, acrid latex. Darn skin chemistry strikes again. Edited by Shollin

I am sad to say that Smut is not working with my chemistry that well :D . First, I get a nutty, sour scent out of trying this but the drydown is lovely though - sweet and musky and longlasting.

I am just not completely sure about the strange intense sourness that develops on my skin the first hour of wearing :P .

I was excited to try the legendary Smut - I've heard such great things about it.

in the bottle it smells kind of boozy and musky, and I still smell that on my skin, but there's an additional sour smell to it - kind of like pee? ugh. :P

I suppose it's good that I didn't fall in love with yet another LE, though. my bank account thanks me for that!

I smell sugar. And musk, too, but the sugar kind of assailed my nose first because it was so unexpected. Maybe that's rum minus booze, or something? I also smell grape juice. On my skin, it's 100% musk, though. I'm not really a fan.

IN BOTTLE: Good Lord, strong! Umm... booze. Lots of alcohol. and sweet.

WET: I smell like a bar. A smoky, slightly sweaty bar.

DRYING: ...now I smell like musky charcoal. THis is - interesting.

DRY: waah! I wanted this to love me :P I'll give it another try later, but right now I smell like smoke again. It's not unpleasant -- just not smutty enough.

ETA: okay, after a while it sweetens up, and I smell kinda hot. I like Trick 2 more as my sexy scent, though... I'll sit on this for a while, but maybe swap it for something I know I like more.

Edited by myoubi

My auction results arrived yesterday, so of course I had to try one on before bed. The natural was Smut (naturally!). I don't get the maple syrup (much), but I do find traces of wood, and the musk blends are yummy! The throw is not very strong on me after an hour, but hooboy! that first hour!

Thanks for the lovely jewelbug! :D

In the bottle: Musk and booze.

On Skin: Musk. Very musky.

On Drydown: Sweaty male. Much more than Madame Moriarty. I am getting like uberly gross and sweaty male. :P

Verdict: I wanted to love Smut. I really did. It just didn't love my skin at all.

Jewelbug's two cents when she smelled me: Wow. That doesn't love you at all.

Smut-

In Bottle: Musk, yup. So musky-sweet it's a little off-putting.

Wet: Oh! When the sugar hits, this is actually much nicer! Yes, it's a little cloying, but it's also strongly moody--not sexy to me, actually, but...You know what this smells like? It smells like what cigarettes would smell like if cigarettes actually smelled good, if that makes any sense.

Dry: It is a little cloying. Not bad, I think; just conditional. So I'll have to see.

Overall: Conditional.

In the vial: Boozey musk.

Wet: Oh God this is gorgeous - seep sugary musk. It's one of the stronger scents I've tried.

Drydown: Smut lasts and lasts. The booze notes go away pretty quickly (which is a good thing IMHO) as does some of the sweetness. It's the musks that make this - they weave in amongst each other, with one or other of them peeking out from time to time. As of 12 hours it's still going strong.

I knew this scent was going to love me before I ever even tried it. I FINALLY won an auction on ebay without spending my life savings and it arrived today!

In the bottle: Oh, my. Musk and sweetness. It smells like one of those sex (well they are technically massage) oils they sell at adult stores. And I don't mean that in a bad way. This *IS* Smut.

On my skin: sweet, sexy, earthy musk. I knew this would smell excellent with my chemistry because my skin loves musks -all musks. And oh, it does. My skin does eat it up somewhat after about 2 or so hours, but man, those first few hours? HOOBOY is right. This stuff has a pretty decent throw and smells....divine. It's too bad my kids are still up because this stuff has put me in the mood.

I've never smelled anything like this! It reminds me a bit of Obsession but it's better. Smut is hot. This is definitely in my top 5, perhaps even my favorite.

I think my bank account might have just shed a little tear :P

Edited by talula_fairie

this smells very earthy on my skin, almost overpoweringly so like zombi. i'm also getting something nutty and sour in the background...and then everything i've mentioned is drenched in booze. not pleasant...but reading other reviews i'm hoping that smut calms down into something sweeter in an hour or so. i'm crossing my fingers that this will morph into a pleasant scent.

In the bottle, sugary musk.

Upon application, I was amazed at how light the scent is on me. I'm getting no booze, a smidge of sugar, and lots of musk. I smell what I think is Siberian musk (I have a SN imp of Siberian, which I love), and then just basically "skin".

Drydown: Musk, warm and comfy, very close to Buck Moon on me.

I think this will be nice to mix with something sharper, say, Snake Charmer (my fave).

I see I never reviewed this one. Probably because I was really disapointed when I first got it. I didn't get anything but musk out of smut. Fortunately, it wasn't funky musk, or unwashed body musk (I'm looking at you, Bengal, king of the dirty ass). It didn't smell bad, it just smelled... bland. Like there was something missing. It really smelled unfinished to me. It needed something more. I gave it a few tries hoping it would get better, and then pretty much forgot about it. (I couldn't swap it though. The perfume might not have knocked my socks off, but that bottle did).

Fast forward to, well, today. I was looking through my smellies trying to decide what to wear, when I came across my poor neglected and forgotten bottle of Smut. It's been nearly a year, so I decided to give it another go, see if some age helped any. Yes, it definately has. The musk is still the strongest note by far, but now it's tempered with sweet sugar notes and just a hint of booziness. So thats what was missing. This I like. This is not bland at all. This is what I was hoping Smut would be all those months ago when I ordered it. It's gorgeous and sexy, and I can't stop sniffing myself.

I am so glad I didn't decant this and get rid of it, which I had thought about doing. For some reason I decided to hang on to it, and it looks like that was a wise decision.

Oh, wow. I am in love with teh Smut. :P It's sweet, smoky musk that is absolutely delicious, and my skin loves it. It lasts, it has a very nice throw, and I will definitely be getting at least one bottle of the new one. :D

Wow this is a sexy blend. It smells like gilded innocence and corruption in a bottle. I love it! :P

Edited by macabre_fae

i got my bottle of smut '07 in the mail today :insert squee here: and i'm happy to say that i like it even better than last years'~ it seems to be lighter, less boozy and more of a sweet sugared musk, very much more like scherezade than last years' smut. it doesn't have that down and dirtyness that smut '06 had....that smell that made you question whether or not it was appropriate to wear for work or visiting great grandmother.

:P

I LOVE Teh Smut! I wear the "old" version all the time - there's something about the combination of musks and sweet-sweet booze notes that smells sexy yet playful and silly on my skin - not really smutty at all. I was a little nervous when I read that this year's version was different - I want to stockpile the same lovely musk that I fell in love with before!

Thankfully, I don't really detect any difference in the two besides aging. I figure most of the bottles I own are a year or so old, and after that amount of time, all the bpal scents deepen and mature. It has the same medium throw and when my nose catches a whiff of it I still grin. I am definitely buying a few more bottles to keep in my box for aging, and I'm really grateful it still smells the same to me! :P

Note: Review is of Smut 07.

The description and reviews of Smut both intrigued and worried me. I haven't had good luck with Mme Moriarty, which some claim is in the same 'family'. However, as I'd had reasonably good luck with musks -- why not try it?

My goodness, I love it. Musks with a bit of sugar. Little to no booze (unlike Devil's Night, where the booze has a strong, funny 'off' note on me). :P LOVE. Lasts for hours, too.

The boy's opinion confirmed this: "Hey, that's actually pretty good." This, from the fella who consistently turns up his nose when I ask him to sniff! :D

Verdict: Finally, I know what I'm swapping my unloved bottles for. Hello, Smut! :D

Edited by Muse of the Winds

SMUT 2007

At the moment I'm a little bit sad.

I get the latex smell too :D With undertones of sugar and booze. Ew. And I thought musks love me?

Well, we'll see. I'm going to age it a bit, and test calmly later on, and hopefully I will be able to report a positive change in the same way that RainyDayGray experienced.

Awaiting a hopefully more positive ETA. :P

ETA: so... After my initial scare I braved up and tried it again, this time applying very cautiously. Still not good. Not as awful as the first time - But not delicious like I expected from the rave reviews. I compared it to Scherezade on my other leg (yes, leg) and I find that I much prefer Scherezade as far as red musk scents go. The latex undertones of Smut are not so obvious when I apply lightly but they do still linger unfortunately. I will hang on to the bottle for a couple of months though, and if aging/skin chemistry changes the scent for something very different and better on me, I will report back in a second edit...

ETA2: Almost 3 months later and OMFG this smells really good all of a sudden. I cracked it open tonight after not smelling it for several weeks and was stunned. I don't know if it's my nose that changed, but I'm more inclined to think it *is* the Smut that has changed. Now it's alot more... *smooth* is the word perhaps. That acrid/platicky/latex sharpness is all but gone, and the musk is alot rounder with undertones of liquor and sugar. It smells like sexy, dark, musky candy now and I love it!!! :D

Edited by Browneyes

Who doesn't love Smut?

I put some of the '06 on and held my wrist up to the boyfiend's nose. He grinned and approved. Then I told him what it was named and he said, "You HAVE to get more of that!" So I ordered a bottle of '07; here's hoping it smells the same: sugared dark booze, very smooth and a little mysterious. Smut '06 was NOT the drunk reek that other boozy blends turn into on me; it's sexy and gorgeous. Smut was also not the very masculine scent that most musks become on me. It's primal and warm.

:D

ETA: Smut '07 is just as good as its older siblings. This is one of my absolute favorites. Eight hours later and I can still smell it all over my wrists and hair. I feel like I should look disheveled from a recent turn in the sack :P

ETA2: It lasted through TWO showers. Unbelievable. Thank you, Beth, for a perfect scent.

Edited by hackess

Well, I like this one from afar, but up close it has that latex note that everyone has noticed. It took me a moment to recognize it, but it really turns my stomach. I'll set it asside to age and see how it takes.

Very sweet sugar, musk and something a bit odd. Maybe it's the booze notes? Not sure if I like this one. It's nice but with something a bit off? I'll try it again because I really want to like this one.

This is absolutely beautiful! It's sweet, but dark and mysterious at the same time. And as so many reviewers have remarked, it's STRONG. I'll have to be a bit more careful next time if I don't want to give myself a headache. It also has incredible staying power. On me, it lasted for over 24 hours on my wrist, and that included two showers and a sink-load of dishes.

This is really sexy, and I can imagine a man wearing this as well.

I've not yet tried Snake Oil ( :P ), but I can certainly see the similarities between Smut and Sed Non Satiata. Smut is SNS, amplified, with extra stickiness and booziness. If I would keep SNS aside for certain occasions, then it's no surprise that I've got nearly a whole bottle of Smut a whole year after it was released as an LE.

It is a very, very sexy scent, indeed. There is nothing about this scent that is demure or shy, but still it is sophisticated. If I wore this, I should be expecting there to be some sort of unbridled, passionate, animalistic sex at some point.