Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

What a great freakin’ word. BPAL LOVES TEH SMUT! Three swarthy, smutty musks sweetened with sugar and woozy with dark booze notes.

I didn't order Smut at first, because I thought it would be a lot like Devil's Night. Then it was clear that it was not, but was darker and swarthier and sexier, so I figured, why not. Plus, who could resist "Smut"?

So I ordered it. And it was nice. Spicy and sort of boozy vanilla, similar to aged Snake Oil, but rougher, more raw, not as sultry...smuttier.

It's nice, but it sort of tickles my nose a little too much and in the end, I swapped it for something I wanted more.

:P Smut, Smut, Smut. I just love that Smut. This scent is exactly what I imagined it would be and better. Musky and sweet. My favorite thing is asking everyone "Would you like to smell my Smut?" Oh, the looks and reactions are priceless! :D

angharad was kind enough to send me a bottle of this, because it was on my want list, and she obviously is the nicest person in the world.

I opened it at a friend's house, and she, her daughter and I couldn't stop smelling it! I tried it when I got home.

In the bottle: Wow! The booze is right up front there. The other notes are in the background, and the whole thing smells good enough to eat (drink).

On: It's incredibly strong, and it's obvious that I put on too much. I'm surrounded in wafts of scent, but boy, I'm a happy camper. The booziness is very strong, but the whole thing just makes me smile.

Drydown: The booze fades to the background, and a spiceness and the vanilla come into play. I really, really love this. I just have to remember to use less! :P

Throw: Boy, does it! :D And lasts, and lasts, and lasts.....

ETA: twelve hours later, and I can still sniff it on my wrists!!!

Edited by Melantha

Finally, I get to try the Lupercalia oil everyone was raving about. I didn't order it with my other Lupercalia decants, because it sounded too foody for me, but after all the glowing reviews, I was happy to be able to try it at a Meet'n'Sniff.

At first, it actually smelled pretty nice on me. Not too foody at all, but a very pleasant sweet, musky skin-scent, with faint overtones of vanilla. I found myself thinking I might have to track some of this down.

And then, alas, the vanilla-ish note in it slowly morphed into Play-Doh, as it tends to on me. Oh well. :P It was nice before it got to that point.

Grade: B-/C+

I tried to get into this scent, really I did, but it disturbs me a little so I can't wear it :P

However, this perfume really does do justice to the concept it was named after. On first sniff, I get a dirty, uncomfortable yet curious-enough-to-know-what-the-grownups-are-doing kind of vibe. I heard a lot of comparisons to Snake Oil but the scent I feel this one is most similar to out of the ones I’ve tried so far is Enraged Oranged Musk- I guess it shares a small host of the musks that played a part in the monkey musk. I’m not getting much of a Snake-Oil similarity vibe on me, Snake Oil is spicey and sweet where this one is dirty and seedy. The sugar mellows it out a bit and once it’s on, there’s some boozy floater notes that are giving me a kind of "bad night out" vibe.

Sexy as hell! Dark, boozy and sweet as well, what more can I ask? Lasts forever, when I put it on in the evening I can still smell it in the morning.

I love Snake oil as well, but prefer Smut in the sexy department, it's more dirty somehow. Gonna hunt down some more :P

Woah. What can I say other than this smells very strongly of patchouli to my nose. When I put it on, it's still very strong on patchouli, but I can get the hint of something sugared in the background, maybe a touch musky... but there is no resemblance to Snake Oil on my skin.

Maybe there's vetiver in there? I think that might also account for some of that smell, but then I haven't smelled vetiver in a long time so I could easily be wrong. It's another scent that I'm iffy about, which is why I haven't sniffed it in ages!

Smut fades as time goes on, and the patchouli lessens a lot, but never really goes away. I'm not sure if I like this one or not. I really want to like it, but the patchouli isn't one of my most favourite smells... :/

But this is gorgeous when layered with Morocco, or with a combo of Khajurajo + O.

It's nice with Bliss, or with O, or with Snake Oil.

Edited by kunoichi

First whiff: in the bottle, it's atrocious, old-socks atrocious :P

Fortunately it morphs almost instantly on my skin!

Drydown: Ouch. It still packs quite a punch though :D

It's... exactly like the description, swarthy musks for sure - there is a dark musk in there that overwhelms everything, with a hint of red musk detectable. On me, Smut is absolutely not sweet whatsoever (tee-hee), it's a complete, targeted MUSK attack - very little to do with Snake Oil on me, actually.

It's, hm, completely true to its name, dark, swarthy, musky and frankly I'd adore it, were it not for that funky, burning-rubber note in the background, that's thankfully not overwhelming.

Verdict: I alternatively love this and am slightly sickened by the slightly funky note. It's definitely unique and darkly seductive... on the right person :D

I'm definitely keeping my bottle.

8/10

In the imp: Sweet, musky, and boozy.

On me: Dark and musky. It smells much sexier on than it did in the imp.

Dry down: OMGMusk! Very smooth and sexy. There's a vanilla-esque note, but it doesn't go weird on my skin like most vanilla does.

Smut last forever. I put it on in the morning, and it was still strong when I got home from work in the evening. Nothing last that long on me.

Where O has failed with me, Smut triumphs - this is the scent of bottled sex.

In the bottle: A sweet, adult beverage. Maybe a cigar is lit in the back of the bar, and the lights are dim.

Wet: Slightly boozy, but the musks gain sweet leverage.

Drydown: I can't place my finger on what the final scent is like on me, but it's sweet, warm and dark. Very half-lidded, languid sex. Think of smeared makeup and half-off lingerie on a hot day. Something like that, heh.

I was thrilled to track down a decant of teh Smut.

In the vial: boozy vanilla and swarthy musk. I think I am going to cry because this smells really good and I was foolish not to order a big bottle when I had the chance.

Wet: Hmm. I'm not sure that I like this b/c the scent reminds me of falling asleep in one's clothes after a big night out.

Dry: No, not for me. I am happy that I got to try this scent, but I am no longer pining for a big bottle.

On me, this is sugar, sugar and more sugar, like cotton candy or something, overwhelmingly sweet. I don't get booze at all. After the sugar, the musks come out with a vengeance, and unfortunately it's the ones that go bad on my skin. Teh Smut

is not for me.

Booze notes indeed, just popping the lid off my decant for a sniff gets me dizzy. This is a dark, sweaty oil - it's thick with smokish cloy and overly sweet notes, like cheap whisky or wine - sweetened to hide a bitter taste and yet in its own way pleasant. I like it but not for any reason I can discern. It just is... hot. There's no other word for it, this scent is hot. Now when they say booze, they mean booze. This is almost a soda taste-type of scent, like root beer - dark and sweet, like a cola maybe. It goes directly to the back of your throat and knocks you sideways in a manner that both demands submission and attention. It's sweet but not overly sweet and it has a swarty after-effect to it that is discombobulating. As it warms up, the sweet tone fades a little and it turns more musky and well... smutty. It's hot and raw and very plain that it expects some severe attention for a while - it also makes my palms itch to go eat berries however, which really makes little to no sense to me at all. But I find amusing. This may be a sweaty kind of scent, but it's the enclosed spaces with candles and smoke and a bottle of cheap champagne and flowers sweaty. Not at all an outdoors kind of scent. Which may, actually, explain the berries thing after all... It has a little more throw that what I'm used to liking but this is a scent that defies disliking. It keeps dancing between sugar sweet and mind-numbingly musky, it's like being drunk and trying to dance: you never know where you're going to end up, but it's all good no matter what. As it fades out, it gets a spicy tang to it like dry sweat and no real surprise there. It mixes very well with my sweat, toning down the bitter tang of my own body and covering it with a sticky lazy scent that is extremely intoxicating to me.

Well, Snake Oil was terrible on me so I didn't buy this when it was up. I kept hearing about it though- how Smut is the greatest thing ever,etc.

After reading so many glorious reviews I figured I had to get a bottle, even though booze and straight musk don't usually work on me.

Well, my bottle came. I love the label, but the oil itself was not so good. I don't know why my skin chemistry has to be so obstinate.

One thing- it sure lasts a long time. I had to scrub and scrub with dish soap to get it off (so that would be a good thing if Smut works on you).

It just smelled really funky on me, like old sweat or something. :P

In Bottle: Very sweet. It's like pure sugar syrup, with faint musky undertones.

On Application: And hello booze! Wow, that's strong, but not in a bad way. It's almost like a rum drink, like a Zombie or something. Still very sweet, with an almost bubblegum scent to it. The musk seems to have disappeared, unless I inhale the scent very deeply. To sum in a word so far, it's very *playful*. I'm starting to feel the twangs of heartbreak, because I think this is going to turn out to be way too sweet for me to wear. I want to like teh smut!!!!

On Drydown: Wait, wait! The sweetness is really dying down now. The musks are much more prevalent now. And it's not giving me a headache! The throw isn't very intense though, and it seems to be fading fast. Still, what it's turned into is very pleasant.

Comments: I think this is going to require another test or two. The initial sweetness stage isn't unpleasant in the least, but it's not really me. However, on drydown, the scent is much more something that I would wear. I'm wondering if layering it with something heavier in a dry musk in the initial application would balance this out. It's probably a sin to layer teh smut though.

Final Verdict: Retest. As it stands right now, a couple imps will definitely be kept, because I *like* how it smells, just not necessarily for an all-the-time scent.

Oh my!! A sweet scent I love!! I mean... OH MY!!

Smut is sugary, vanilla sweet and lightly musky. There is also a creaminess to this. I was worried when I sniffed this in the bottle because I smelled a fruitiness to the sweetness and fruity scents just don't do it for me. This is incredible on my skin, very sexy. Love the Smut!

vanilla, booze, and musk. sweet, warm and sexy. like snake oil but not as resinous. love it. i feel flirtatious when i wear it. i really missed the boat not getting a bottle of this.

I managed to wrangle an imp of this and so far - I'm Madly in Love!

The musks are wonderful, and the sugary and boozy elements add just the right touch to mediate their sometimes overwhelming smell.

Some compared this scent to a nice, dark, comfortable, and sexy, cigar bar and i think that is right on the money. It's amazing that a scent so relatively simple evokes such complex ideas and feelings. It's a testiment to how completely divine a perfumer Beth is!

Pure Snake Charmer crossed with Snake Oil -- one is spicy and musky, the other is more sweet and golden. I don't actually like Snake Oil very much, although I have a beloved bottle of Snake Charmer, so I'm undecided on this one. The heavier, sexier scents are not usually my bag, though, so I suspect I'll be passing this imp along.

Hush you Muskies!

teh Smut starts out with an aromatic rootbeer blast and later develops a little fermented undertone. On me it's just big-time loud musk and needs to go live with someone a little sexier than I.

For me, when I first tried Smut I immediately thought of Snake Charmer. They have a lot in common. I'm not that sure about incensy smells though, I'm not sure exactly what they have in common, but there is a licrice and rootbeery ness that they both share. I like them, but since I have a bottle of Snake Charmer I think I can pass on the Smut Craze.

Smut is absolutely gorgeous! It’s somehow got a very Snake Oil-ish quality to it, but sweeter and with a touch of booze. I don’t smell much in the bottle, and when I first put it on my skin, I still don’t smell much. But as the oils warm up on my skin, the first notes I smell are the musks, which is odd because I can rarely identify musk on my skin. Upon complete dry down, it becomes dark, sweet, musky and every exotic. It has the tiniest pinch of booziness. I would swear it had a swirl of vanilla in it, although the Lab description mentions nothing about vanilla. The longer I wear it, the stronger it seems to get on my skin. Wow, the next time I put it on, I’m only applying the tiniest drop. I wore it on both my skin and in a scent locket today. On the skin, the fragrance gets a faint dusty undertone at about the 2-1/2 hour point, but in a scent locket it keeps it's bright, fresh, and juicy scent for hours. This is an impeccably blended oil, and it's obvious that a lot of love and care went into this one. It's a beautiful blend, and has already achieved status as one of my favorites. Plus, it's just the most fabulous name for a fragrance. LOVE IT! I am positively thrilled that I purchased two bottles of this!

I love musks. Smut has 3 musks. Therefore, I love smut. Right?

Not really :P

I don't know what it is. In the bottle I wasn't oooing and ahhhhing, it smelled like it went bad. I wore it today and was not content with the way I smelled. (I hate that!)

I did receive a compliment today from one of my grandpa's friends that I just met. I walked in front of her and she gasped "Something smells gorgeous! What are you wearing?" Ok, I did not have the heart to tell her I was wearing "Smut" so I blamed it on the blooming Jasmine in the backyard.. I know *hangs head in shame*

I guess there are tons of people who love this, so Smut won't be hurt if I don't.

Let me say that this is a scent I didn't think I'd like. But I ended up liking it. And it works. ::.giggles.:: ^_~

In the bottle: Ohhhhhh.....So SEXY. It's those musks I smell first and the booze. Kinda with a hint of a powder candy-like scent buried under there. Heeeeeee....NAUGHTY NOO PERFUMEZ. ::.giggles.::

Wet: WAH! ::.stares at her q-tip.:: It's so DARK! O_O;;; ::.dabdab.:: Ohhhh ::.gets drunk.:: Issum BOOZEY nooow.... ::.slurs words.:: Mebbe a bit buttery too....still got them muskssss.... ::.falls over.::

Dry: Alright. I'm good. The booze notes are pretty much gone and all that's left is the sugary musky yummy smutty sex. ::.licks self.::