Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lunalight7

Oils with the strongest throw or sillage - the most noticeable scents

Just wanted to add Liz to my list of blends with lots of throw (don't know how I forgot to mention it earlier, as it's one of my favorites). I'm wearing a *tiny* dab of Liz on my wrists right now and I feel like I'm sitting in a cloud of vanilla-floral-leather goodness <3. It has awesome throw and lasts all day on me.

So far the ones with the most throw and lasting power both for me are:

Malediction. Number one on both. I was applying a tiny, and I do mean TINY dab from the wand to one wrist and rubbing my wrists together. My husband was downstairs about to come up and yelled up the stairs to ask what the smell was. (Fortunately in a good way, not a bad way.) It has black patchouli and vetiver for a one/two punch and is a seriously dark, smoky blend that stays and stays.

Hell's Belle. This turned out to be a bad thing for me. I LOVE the scent in the imp. On my skin, magnolia does terrible things, becoming half rotted and funerary. It didn't want to wash off. It wanted to linger and torture me for hours, and that's exactly what it did. The throw was also huge from a tiny application. I wanted to cry. Black Dahlia was very similar in this respect.

Bordello. Huge throw. Lasted forever. Went sickly, cloyingly sweet on me thanks to the plum. Doh! But if plum works for you, it's a really pretty fruity, kind of boozy scent. My husband and I both enjoy this one as a room scent.

Darkness. Those of you who like Opium (the perfume, not the drug) will probably really like this one. It's one of the closest BPAL scents I've tried to a commercial perfume.

Shub Niggurath. I always get unsolicited compliments when I wear this. It doesn't go too foody on me. The ginger plays nice with the darker resins, and it lasts for hours and hours. I don't ever have to work to smell myself when I've got this on, and I'm not a slatherer. (If you're prone to contact dermatitis, be careful with this one. If I apply it fresh out of the shower, I get painful red blotches. If I wait until my pores have closed, it goes on more gently.)

Medium throw and/or lasting power:

Snake Oil. Another one I get complimented on, but usually when people are sitting close to me. I don't have people run up like I do when I'm wearing Shub.

Scherezade. This is one that I wish lasted longer on me. I adore how it smells and that I don't have to work to smell it.

Saturnalia. The violet and the vetiver in this have equal balance with my skin chemistry. Pretty much anything with vetiver I wear tends to throw.

Jezebel. The orange blossom part of this lasts the longest on me and also throws the best. The amber, honey, and rose take supporting roles.

Dragon's Eye. I get more lily than lilac from this one. It's very pretty. My husband really likes it on me and always notices when I'm wearing it. Since a scent pretty much has to jump off my skin and beat him over the head for him to notice, like with Malediction, I'd say this is pretty indicative of a good throw. If I wear it at night, I still smell like it the next morning.

I'm still pretty new to BPAL, but I've definitely found so far that skin chemistry plays a huge role in whether something works for you, gets eaten by your body, lasts, throws, etc. Only through some trial and error and some fun experimenting will you know for sure. All the recommendations in the world can't predict what a perfume oil will do on your skin. The great thing is that whatever was death in a bottle for you is probably somebody else's bees knees. It's pretty easy to find people willing to swap, trade, or buy, maybe not for every scent, but for a lot of them. Enjoy playing around with your oils!

My experience so far has been that the scents I dislike the most have the strongest throw and the longest duration. I hated Delphi, Lilith, and Antikythera Mechanism, and had to wash them off me with rubbing alcohol, because they wouldn't leave with plain water and soap. My living room smelled like rotting tomatoes, grape Kool-Aid and moldy bread respectively for a good twenty-four hours afterwards.

Love Schrodinger's Cat and Dragon's Reverie, but they only stay for an hour or so (and close to the skin) before doing the vanishing act. So sad :cry2:

Definitely Boo. Whenever I wear this scent people can smell it a mile away. It also stays on me for a long time. I love it. A little bit of Boo on me goes a long way! :wub2:

I am absolutely SHOCKED this hasn't been mentioned before, but Smut! I have the 2011 version, but my friend says the old one she had was very throw-y as well. A little dab from the wand, and I mean LITTLE, like a dot smaller than you would get from a pencil eraser, goes a long way!

I'm a big fan of lots of throw myself. I really like not having to use a lot of scent to get a big impact. So I guess it's kind of fitting that as I read this, I realized most of my absolute favourite scents are ones that have good-to-great throw.

Bordello

Lilith Victoria (one of the Snake Oil scents, so I guess that's the culprit!)

Kitsune-Tsuki

Wezwanie/Hold

Infernal Lover

And of course... Smut, which throws the most out of all of them, to me.

I get noticed when wearing anything with red musk. Smut, The Infernal Lover, Spellbound and especially Madame Moriarty (huge guy magnet). Also Snake Oil, Banshee Beat, Boo, Tombstone, Underpants, Cake Smash and Velvet Unicorn.

Generally, everyone mentions "incense" with the red musks and Snake Oil, Banshee Beat gets "Angel" perfume, and Boo, Tombstone, Cake Smash, Underpants, and Velvet Unicorn are getting "MMM it smells like cake in here".

Butterscotch Balls and Black Beetles has extraordinary, frightening throw. My best friend tried it on at my house on Friday. On Saturday I picked it up off the coffee table to go put it in my perfume cabinet and I was walking around in a cloud of it for the entire day and evening, just from carrying the bottle which I guess had some residual on.

Samhain and Witch Dance (which smell virtually identical on me) have tons of throw.

Le Serpent Qui Danse, which was my very first true loooove BPAL, has considerable throw on me, BUT. The throw is primarily vanilla, whereas up close it's a lot more floral. I like scents that do this; it gives both an intimate secret feel and a lovely attention-worthy cloud. Le Serpent is one of the more memorable combos of this sort for me.

Lady Amalthea has lots of throw for me as well. Sonnet D'Automne too, but it morphs to a much softer and different scent by the end of the day. This is fine, because I'm obsessed and have bottles all around my house plus in my desk at work, so I just keep slathering. :P

I've only tried Bordello once, so I'm not ready to commit fully to this statement, but I found it had considerable throw but the staying power didn't match. It didn't fade right away, but the throw was all BAM HERE I AM so I didn't want to apply more than a drop or two, but then it didn't stick around the way other scents that I'm inclined to use sparingly do.

I tend to go for florals AND my skin eats up BPAL, so I have big problems in the lasting/throw department.

Of those scents that I regularly wear The Lilac Wood is the only one which lasts all day and has a decent throw.

Veil also lasts for most of the day but I have to sniff my wrists to tell it's still there.

Titania has both a decent throw and longevity, but I've gone off it a bit lately as I'm not that in to peaches.

Most of the scents that I really love like The Lady of Shalott and Leanan Sidhe require constant re-application.

Butterscotch Balls and Black Beetles has extraordinary, frightening throw.

Agreed. And I also agree with both Boo! and Snake Oil, which have been mentioned earlier.

Halloween: Las Vegas is one that I find to be very strong in the throw department.

Well it's BPTP but Celeste is strong! Probably the strongest one I know.

Other oils that come to mind as being very noticeable on me are Door, Mouse's Long and Sad Tale, Black Lace, and Cake Smash.

Just remembered the other day, when I dabbed on a tiny bit of Czernobog - it's powerful stuff. Seriously. Antikythera Mechanism is also very noticeable, especially the vanilla, until it dries fully.

Bumping this thread.

For me the most throw and staying power have The Witches and Marshmallow Cookie Pie. They both turn into nearly identical brown sugar on me and stay the whole day.

Lucy's Kiss has an extreme throw on me. Spicy and green, fresh rose! I always get compliments when I wear it.

Also The Bride seems to remind people of cake and chocolate, it has a pretty amazing throw.

Good necro bump!

Snow White (I have 2015) might take the cake for longest lasting and most throw.

Eat Me also has huge throw on me. Snake Oil and Womb Furie are very strong with lots of throw as well.

The Mirror, Mother Ghost and Muse of Fire all have tons of throw on me.

Volcano in Springtime is good and strong, as is Aradia.

I am sure I will think of more.

Feed Me and Fill Me With Pleasure, Badgers, Blood Popsicle, Mole, Womb Furie, Oakmoss SN, Sumatran Red Patchouli SN, Imaginer, Black Taffeta, Snake Oil, and Gingerbread Satyr all stay on me for Hours! :)

Snake Oil, Mme. Moriarty, Mouse's Long and Sad Tale, Black Moths, Whip, Bulgarian Tobacco SN, Perversion are some of the ones I wear when I want to smell myself and be smelled by others (weird sentence but moving right along). For how soft a scent Mouse's Long and Sad Tale is, I will smell it on clothes I've worn for days after. Black Moths is another that I don't feel is particularly boisterous when I'm wearing it but I do notice it wafting up throughout the day and will get (positive) comments on it.

I'm surprised to not see Buck Moon here... unless I screwed up the search. For me the LOUDEST scents are the best ones, I don't like scents that don't have a nice throw and sometimes the subtlest ones do.

--Antique Lace

--Champagne Lace

--Buck Moon

--Dorian

--Shroud

--Delousing Powder

--Perversion

That's just my list today. I love how BPAL prefs change for me over the years and some scents my skin ate are now smelling different as they age and I guess, so do I!

Edited by Tristessa

For me, the strongest and longest lasting are:

Le Serpent Qui Danse (so much throw, my colleagues tell me they can smell it all over the huge warehouse. Win!)

Kill-Devil

Malediction

Black Forest

Spellbound

Dragon’s Milk

I think Fae and Titania also have pretty good throw for me

Edited by Arcelie

On 7/11/2016 at 11:12 PM, roseus said:

Snake Oil, Mme. Moriarty, Mouse's Long and Sad Tale, Black Moths, Whip, Bulgarian Tobacco SN, Perversion are some of the ones I wear when I want to smell myself and be smelled by others (weird sentence but moving right along). For how soft a scent Mouse's Long and Sad Tale is, I will smell it on clothes I've worn for days after. Black Moths is another that I don't feel is particularly boisterous when I'm wearing it but I do notice it wafting up throughout the day and will get (positive) comments on it.

Updating since I don't wear several of these much anymore. Lately I've noticed that Snow White and Morocco have a pretty huge amount of throw on me. When I was on an apple kick recently and thought my nose had gotten too used to the scent to really pick up on it Pure Applesauce and Morana both had very noticeable throw.