Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lunalight7

Oils with the strongest throw or sillage - the most noticeable scents

Love me lasts all day long on me.

I have to be really careful with the amount I put on.

let's see... i've also found Bordello to have pretty good throw. I do have to reapply during the day, but generally it is one of the stronger scents on me.

I'm with you on the scent eating, and second the statement that resins tend to last. So does vanilla, oddly.

I've had good luck with:

Al-Azif (everything sticks)

The Bow and Crown of Conquest (resiny cedar and vanilla stick, everything else gets eaten)

O (amber and vanilla stick)

Delphi (incensey resin and the 'honey wine' note both stick, the bay gets eaten)

I hate florals so I can't offer much help on finding a resiny floral or a long-lasting floral, BUT--the florals in Tezcatlipoca were strong and long-lasting enough to make me swap it. Swap a bottle of otherwise perfect chocolate-leather-incense! Ye gods. You might want to try it.

Which ones have the most throw or staying power is liable to vary a lot from person to person, but one general tip... I find if I apply a little scent to my hair (just run the imp wand through my hair, or put a little on my fingers and run them through my hair), it lasts far, far longer than on skin, and typically has a little more throw.

For me: Ravenous (great stuff that), Hunger, Snake Oil, Hollywood Babylon, Jailbait, deSade for starters. I agree with the person who said that the spicy/resinous scents last a long time. However, I am hearing good things about the throw and lasting time of Holiday Moon as well. There are a lot of them.

Don't forget there are also scent lockets which will hold, concentrate, and throw even the most delicate of BPAL's. Lucky us, BPAL is coming out with their own scent lockets (which I am lusting after mainly because they are big enough to do some serious good in the throw department).

I too am a scent eater (Alas!).

I have found several with good staying power (usually you will have to reapply more often for throw). Putting some oil in your hair is a good idea too...

The oils that last a decent time on me and have somewhat lasting throw are:

Euphrosyne

Rose Red

Fenris Wolf

Pannychis

Snow Moon

Dragon's Heart

Others that last a long time but don't really have a lot of throw (at least on me) are:

Haunted

Lolita

Mata Hari

Good luck. Every oil works on people differently, so you really just have to try a whole bunch and see what works for you and what doesn't.

:P

Snake Oil and Hunger are the 2 that really create that "cloud"around me. I found that making BPAL into a spray can give a scent more throw as well. I tend to do this with lighter scents.

i know it is either how far a scent wafts off of the wearer

like how far away you can be to smell it

or

how long it lasts

i think it's the 1st one, yes?

and if so

what is the term for how long a smell lasts?

(so far a favorite of mine, dee, lasted the shortest. like as in less than one hour 'till you couldn't smell it on me at all... sad.)

Ah, i tried to answer this in the newb mixer, but I think it got lost in the recent flurry of activity. Here's my take:

Well, i think some people use staying power(how long it lasts) and throw interchangably. But myself, I use "throw" as a measure of how far the scent sends itself--ie, do I have to put my nose right on my wrists to sniff? Or can i smell my wrists when they're far away from me? Or does my perfume permeate my whole room? That kinda thing.....

The first one is correct, and for the second question, I usually use "staying power."

Edited by quikslvr

Ah, i tried to answer this in the newb mixer, but I think it got lost in the recent flurry of activity. Here's my take:
Well, i think some people use staying power(how long it lasts) and throw interchangably. But myself, I use "throw" as a measure of how far the scent sends itself--ie, do I have to put my nose right on my wrists to sniff? Or can i smell my wrists when they're far away from me? Or does my perfume permeate my whole room? That kinda thing.....

yes i did see that, jewelbug, and i meant to respond and thank you for taking the time to respond to me ! :P *thank you*

though that's why i posted this again, because you didn't exactly answer my question. hehe. you just confirmed throw is one of two things, {and you, apprently, use it "correctly" btw}. . . and i wanted to know which one it really is.

The first one is correct, and for the second question, I usually use "staying power."
that answers my question. throw vs staying power. good terms. thank you :D

Strongly broadcasting oils that last a reasonable amount of time on my skin chemistry:

The Pit & the Pendulum, Midnight Mass (both resinous/incense)

Berenice (floral/linen/fresh)

Fenris Wolf (woody/resinous/musky)

Luperci (earthy/resinous)

Sed Non Satiata (musky/animalistic)

Bloodlust (spicy) This has much stronger throw than the others listed, and also lasts a much longer period of time.

Court

Hello, lovely board! I've been anonymously grateful for you for months as I continue to narrow down my selection for my very first imp order (yes, months. I'm cheap and neurotic so this purchase is being taken very seriously, plus I'm just kind of lazy) - the reviews have been invaluable to me. But now I've logged in for real to bring up my problem and hope there is some advice. So -

I smell bad. Badly, that is - I am not very good at smelling things. Mostly when other people say, in joy or disgust, "Do you smell that?" I have to say, "No." I also frequently can't tell the difference between scents. Sometimes I also smell things that nobody else does, usually spicy meat scents like balogna and salami (no, it's not that I have a weird body odour, and yes, I've checked). This small defect makes me sad as I absolutely love the concept of perfume and really enjoy the stuff I can smell - like the little bottle of lilac oil I got from a local hippie shop.

Is there anyone out there who is either in a similar situation or is wise enough to give suggestions on a strong, long-lasting scent that the odds are good I'll actually be able to appreciate? I don't want my perfume to offend or annoy others, but if the smell is too light or subtle I probably won't be able to smell it at all. I don't just mean aggressive or dominant scents, but also floral/candy/sweet/girly ones that have enough kick to them. If anyone would like some guidelines, I really like the scents of lilac, cucumber, and LUSH's Snow Fairy shower gel and Demon in the Dark soap, and as an ancient history major I'm in love with all the ancient world scent descriptions at BPAL - like Nefertiti, Kyphi, Gomorrah, Bathsheba, and Hanging Gardens. (Small aside - in my recent ancient Egyptian religion course I did a term paper on the role of scent - perfume, incense, oils and aromatics - in Egyptian worship, and got a really good mark! It was my favourite essay to research, too). I don't like rum or other alcoholic scents. Other than that I am a complete scent newbie and open to trying anything!

Thank you so much for reading and have a nice day!

Edited by Hellespont

Hello! :P

It may take a little time, but i've no doubt that bpal has the oils for you! And, do other people sat perfume smells funny on you, or is it just your nose? indeed, do you try them on and then sniff, or just sniff?

Having said that, I suggest the following oils:

Delphi - very strong, imo. incense, honey, and wine

the Masque - a lighter, less grapey version of Delphi

Leanan sidhe - a soft but strong green floral

Silk Road - a strong, non-floral black tea with spice

I did a search on the main site and found Nocturne, Viola, les Fleurs du Mal, and villain all have lilac, and i like all of those. Mr Oro adores Villain too...it's very yum on him.

Anyway, welcome!

Oro

I'm cheap and neurotic so this purchase is being taken very seriously, plus I'm just kind of lazy

For some reason, I think that's one of the best quotes ever, lol.

Anyhoo. Some quick thoughts:

If you're looking for strong scents with a lot of throw and staying power, BPAL is great for those :P. So many of their scents are wonderfully strong and clingy on me.

I'd definitely recommend Dragon's Milk for a candied/sweet scent (and it layers well with Snow Fairy).

Dorian is a strong musk and vanilla tea.

Snake Oil is intensely strong and one of BPAL's most popular blends.

Eat Me is a strong sugary/foodie scent.

The Hanging Gardens and Gomorrah were both very strong on me as well, and heavy on the fig.

If you can get ahold of Snow White, it's my favorite sort-of-sugared floral scent and it has amazing throw and staying power.

Dragon's Eye gets good reviews for being a very strong lilac floral, so you might be interested in that one.

Envy is a pretty strong, dark mint scent that remins me a bit of Demon in the Dark.

If this is your first order, you should try to get a good variety of scents. And you should get Voodoo (I pretty much always recommend that one), because it's strong and rather complex and gorgeous.

Hope that helps somewhat :D

snake oil has the most throw/longest lasting scent on me, however it took me a while to love it, which i now do

Dragon's Eye is a fantastic lilac blend, and the Dragon's Blood adds a lot of depth, so it's yummy. If you're keen on dragon's blood, I would also suggest Dragon's Milk.

Eos smelled of lilacs to me, though they're not listed in the notes. It's this delicate floral that tended to last forever on me.

I'll second both Snake Oil and, of course, Dorian. I'll toss in Alice, just because I love it so much. It might not be strong enough, though.

If you're into sweet, the Red Queen smells just like cherry cordials.

If I'm remembering it right, I think Cairo had a sort of resinous/honey scent that I really liked. Resins tend to be pretty smell-able.

For a girly candyish scent, I must, must, MUST recommend Jailbait. Jailbait was my first love, and it smells exactly like bubble gum in the imp/bottle. It makes me happier just to sniff it some days.

Try everything! BPAL is surprising.

suggestions on a strong, long-lasting scent that the odds are good I'll actually be able to appreciate? I don't want my perfume to offend or annoy others, but if the smell is too light or subtle I probably won't be able to smell it at all. I don't just mean aggressive or dominant scents, but also floral/candy/sweet/girly ones that have enough kick to them. If anyone would like some guidelines, I really like the scents of lilac, cucumber, and LUSH's Snow Fairy shower gel and Demon in the Dark soap, and as an ancient history major I'm in love with all the ancient world scent descriptions at BPAL - like Nefertiti, Kyphi, Gomorrah, Bathsheba, and Hanging Gardens. (Small aside - in my recent ancient Egyptian religion course I did a term paper on the role of scent - perfume, incense, oils and aromatics - in Egyptian worship, and got a really good mark! It was my favourite essay to research, too). I don't like rum or other alcoholic scents. Other than that I am a complete scent newbie and open to trying anything!

OK, first of all, I'm a guy. Different body chemistry, Your Mileage May Vary, all the disclaimers, etc... These are scents I like, that I've liked on girlfriends, or want to try on someone!

Belladonna This is a strong scent, good throw, and one of my favorites. It is floral and deeply vegitative (complexly floral), with a hint of lavender and earth. Try this it is very floral and it seems to, in my limited field trials and the reviews, come with a bit of candy on women. Do read the reviews on this one. I higlhy recommend it. Also belladonna was one of the main ingredients of witches ungents, should tickle if not your ancient religion fancies, your old religion ones if you have them ... :)

Severin This is is a real guy scent, but I've also heard a lot of women like it. Leather and citrus.

Black Forest Another heavy floral scent with some dark notes, particularly moss. This smells dark, floral, and candy all at once on a woman. Think Black Forest Cake. very good, and good staying power and throw. Try it.

Those three are my small suggestions, and they may be a little unusual but they are good, trust me! Do look at the reviews, always great.

Oh, and welcome to the madness. Are you really aware of what you are getting into? ;)

These folks are the bestest people ever. Trust them.

Welcome again,

Todd

I think the oils I've found with really good throw (and that I love) are:

Baobhan Sith

Blood Countess

Verdandi

Danube

Szepassony

Dublin

Sundew

One of the friends I've been enabling is like you in being somewhat anosmic. What we've done in her case is to try to select oils according to her personality and the type of work environment in which she's usually going to be wearing them...and to bounce everything off her SO, as he's the one who's going to be around her most at home.

Her favourite scent so far is Dublin, which is strong enough for her to smell it herself, subtle and "clean" enough for her work environment (it's very fresh and outdoorsy), and pretty without being too "girly."

Best of luck fnding your own signature scent!

Wow, thanks so much for the friendly response and recs! Please, keep them coming! Today I wore my hippie shop lotus oil - it smelled nice at first and then disappeared very quickly. I can't wait for BPAL!

Cairo, Blood Countess, Black Forest, Hanging Gardens, and Gomorrah are all on my short list, so I'm glad to hear they've got a good reputation in the strength department. I wonder if anyone has experience in this regards with some of the other ones I'm really leaning towards, namely:

Black Tower

Chimera

Yggdrasil

Hymn

Bathsheba

Harlot

Maenad

Tintagel

Vinland

Al-Shairan

By the way, Orodemniades - I love your name! What does it mean? I googled to no avail.

Wow, thanks so much for the friendly response and recs! Please, keep them coming! Today I wore my hippie shop lotus oil - it smelled nice at first and then disappeared very quickly. I can't wait for BPAL!

Cairo, Blood Countess, Black Forest, Hanging Gardens, and Gomorrah are all on my short list, so I'm glad to hear they've got a good reputation in the strength department. I wonder if anyone has experience in this regards with some of the other ones I'm really leaning towards, namely:

Black Tower

Chimera

Yggdrasil

Hymn

Bathsheba

Harlot

Maenad

Tintagel

Vinland

Al-Shairan

By the way, Orodemniades - I love your name! What does it mean? I googled to no avail.

Of those, I think I found Al-Shairon the strongest -- it's a beautiful spiced-orange scent. Vinland is a clear, cold, piercing scent that's wonderful for mornings and I found it to have a fair bit of strength. None of the rest of them are regulars for me, so I'll let other people handle them. Oh, and Gomorrah is *wonderful*!

I'll add another vote for Dragon's Eye as a lilac scent if you can wear dragon's blood. And if you like foody scents the two strongest oils I've ever tried, hands down, were Shub Niggurath (nearly impossible to find) and Jack (GC). Jack made the *entire dining room* gently perfumed with wondrous spiced peaches and pumpkin from me swiping the imp wand across the back of my hand so that about a square inch of it was oiled. It was impressive. Your body chemistry may vary, of course.

Chimera

Yggdrasil

Hymn

Tintagel

Vinland

Al-Shairan

My name, like my real name, is a word for 'dryad', in this case 'Ladies of the Mountains' in Greek. Wow, googling for myself...that's damned freaky. :P

As for the above, Tintagel and Chimera lasted longest on me, but my skin eats scents and it's a rare one that lasts for hours. Having said that, Red Lantern is amazing...wish I'd bought more than one bottle!

Oro

A gorgeous scent that I find has great throw and staying power, and is unlike anything else in the BPAL library:

XIUHTECUHTLI--Copal, plumeria and sweet orange and the smoke of South American incense and crushed jungle blooms.

I wonder if anyone has experience in this regards with some of the other ones I'm really leaning towards, namely:

Black Tower

Chimera

Yggdrasil

Hymn

Bathsheba

Harlot

Maenad

Tintagel

Vinland

Al-Shairan

I'm actually wearing Vinland today for the first time and I :P it. At first I thought the berry was too strong (fruits generally don't do well on me), and then it faded into the rest of the scents very nicely. It became sweet without being sticky-clingy-cloyingly so. Unfortunately, my skin likes it so much it ate it all up and now, about three hours after application, it's almost all gone.