Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lunalight7

Oils with the strongest throw or sillage - the most noticeable scents

Bordello has had the most "throw" for me, of the ones I've tried. I'm wearing a bit of Blood Amber on my wrists right now. First time wearing it, LOTS of throw, probably due to the Dragon's Blood in it, which I detected immediately. Dragon's Blood is mostly rose, which my skin instantly amplifies...

:D...Dragon's Blood is mostly rose?? I thought it was a resin. :P

Sugar Skull and Sugar Cookie both have a ton of throw.

(Note to self: No more wearing Sugar Cookie to work. Scary people come and tell you that you smell like baked goods.)

I second Pekeana on the Wolf's Moon!

Also notice lots of throw with Dragon's Heart, Dragon's Milk and Bloodlust

(though looking at this list, maybe it's just my skin chemistry + dragon's blood)

Oh, and Darkness, too.

I wish Dragon's Milk had a lot of throw on me! It's not quite a 'second skin' on me, but it doesn't seem to go too far. It lingers, though, like nobody's business. This makes me a very happy Ace.

Blood Amber, Red Moon, and Samhain definitely have a lot of throw on me. O doesn't at all - it's a close-up scent on me. Vice was somewhere in the middle ground.

Bordello has had the most "throw" for me, of the ones I've tried. I'm wearing a bit of Blood Amber on my wrists right now. First time wearing it, LOTS of throw, probably due to the Dragon's Blood in it, which I detected immediately. Dragon's Blood is mostly rose, which my skin instantly amplifies...

:D...Dragon's Blood is mostly rose?? I thought it was a resin. :D

Interesting :P When I wear Dragon's Milk it becomes very floral on me. In fact, I'd probably recommend it to someone after a very creamy floral. It wasn't what I was expecting being a resin 'an all! :D

For those whom are BPAL experts, what scent(s) be ultra strong? Like knock the spots off a frog strong. In the vein of dark and sensual for the elements.

Chuparosa is extremely strong -- in my notes on this scent the first word is WHOA! It's a very powerful white floral -- I thought I could pick out lilac among the notes, but who knows. Erato is another very strong floral. And Gluttony gives a BIG foody sugar rush, if you like that sort of thing.

I think it's really going to depend on your nose and your chemistry.

Things that smell super-strong to me: Any of the scents that are predominantly mint, cinnamon, patchouli, rose, lemon, pine/fir, or civet. These are the ones that make me say "whew!" when I open the bottle, whether it's a note I like or not. :P

If you're talking more about longevity on skin rather than pure strength, again, responses will differ wildly. The longest lasting blends on me have been Snow White, Antique Lace, and Morocco - all musks (and I believe all white musks, though none of the descriptions list it specifically)

As for dark and sensual elements - my ideas of dark and sensual might not be the same as yours, so this might be totally worthless. :D Generally, I think of the spice, musk, leather, and incense categories as dark and sensual. I second the recommendation of Loviatar. I also like Depraved for going out on the prowl, but apricot/patchouli is definitely not for everyone! Sin is a spicy scent that's pretty popular; I also like Scherezade for incense, and I've already mentioned Morocco for musk (not particularly dark, but oh-so-sexy in my opinion).

It's very sad that Spanked was so limited, because it definitely belongs on my list of all-time sexy scents - to me it's like a spicier Loviatar.

Things that smell super-strong to me: Any of the scents that are predominantly mint, cinnamon, patchouli, rose, lemon, pine/fir, or civet. These are the ones that make me say "whew!" when I open the bottle, whether it's a note I like or not. :D

If you're talking more about longevity on skin rather than pure strength, again, responses will differ wildly. The longest lasting blends on me have been Snow White, Antique Lace, and Morocco - all musks (and I believe all white musks, though none of the descriptions list it specifically)

As for dark and sensual elements - my ideas of dark and sensual might not be the same as yours, so this might be totally worthless. :D Generally, I think of the spice, musk, leather, and incense categories as dark and sensual. I second the recommendation of Loviatar. I also like Depraved for going out on the prowl, but apricot/patchouli is definitely not for everyone! Sin is a spicy scent that's pretty popular; I also like Scherezade for incense, and I've already mentioned Morocco for musk (not particularly dark, but oh-so-sexy in my opinion).

It's very sad that Spanked was so limited, because it definitely belongs on my list of all-time sexy scents - to me it's like a spicier Loviatar.

Things that smell super-strong to me: Any of the scents that are predominantly mint, cinnamon, patchouli, rose, lemon, pine/fir, or civet. These are the ones that make me say "whew!" when I open the bottle, whether it's a note I like or not. :D

As for dark and sensual elements - my ideas of dark and sensual might not be the same as yours, so this might be totally worthless. :P Generally, I think of the spice, musk, leather, and incense categories as dark and sensual. I second the recommendation of Loviatar. I also like Depraved for going out on the prowl, but apricot/patchouli is definitely not for everyone! Sin is a spicy scent that's pretty popular; I also like Scherezade for incense, and I've already mentioned Morocco for musk (not particularly dark, but oh-so-sexy in my opinion).

Thx ever-so to all whom responded, very helpful. The wish is an extremely strong scent that will just stay on the skin of a friend of mine in England. A dear creature whom writes Gothic poetry and lives in a 16th century tudor in the country amongst pea fowl and all things wild and lovely. Dark, incensed, and sensual is her target vein. She seldom can smell whats on her skin, nor can others says she. It's magic! So I am trying to merely find her a potion that is the most potent to see if it will even work with her chemistry to any degree.

Edited by Zaven

Sin, Lovitar, Bloodlust, bloodamber, Wrath all come to mind; but I would add something like ouija to the mix just because of how you described your friend.

I totally agree with that sentiment!

On me, musk-based scents (Dorian, Snow White, Scherezade, Snake Oil, etc) tend to be the strongest & longest lasting. A lot of the spice/resin/woodsy scents are similar too (Lust, Sin, etc) in that regard.

Sed No Satiata is the one I find strongest, and the dark musk in it seems like it would fit your friend's tastes. It also has some brightness from the honey and cognac, but it's a *rich* brightness.

I second the previous recs (particularly for Snake Oil and Sin) and would add Anne Bonny (a dark blend of incense and woods) and Vixen. These scents are all quite long-lived on me.

Fenris Wolf: Darkly complex and powerful(primarily deep woods, red musk and resin, through strangely, I often get whiffs of incense-like qualities when wearing, but that could be the result of nose-confusion regarding resins/woods. I love all things red and this is a wonderful embodiment of this color from the world of bpal! :D But perhaps I am biased because this is my favorite scent :P ).

I'd also second sed non satiata for strength of throw/notes. That sucker is a long- laster if I ever saw one, and the one time I slathered accidentally... :D whoa that was strong(good, but strong) :D . It lasted through a full day, night, part of a day again, and a shower if I remember correctly.

Bloodlust is incredibly intense and sexy, another of my favorites. However it usually last about twelve hours when I do wear it, and has few incense qualities/resins/woods on me. Its primarily a very spicy blend with a dark bite to it. When I layer it with Sin, it lasts hours longer at a much higher strength than Bloodlust alone. Sin alone lasts about half the time on my skin chemistry than Bloodlust typically does. I find the blend has a different(but still spicy) feel to it than Bloodlust, a far less primary red and more earthily toned feel, if that makes sense, but also a much less complex blend (althrough that's not neccesarily a bad thing, I find Sin layers well with alot of other bpal scents).

Scherezade, unfortunately, disappeared within minutes on my skin chemistry :D.

--------

Court

Edited by Court Analyst/Strategist

another vote here for sed non satiata.... :P

also, saturnalia!!! this one is all violet and vetiver and

intense!! love this!! :D

and the halloween scents that last and last and last for

me....trick or treat, samhain 05, all saint's 05 and devil's night.......

gnome is very strong as well....... :D

I think you've received some great suggestions, and I'd like to add Ravenous to the list. Red patchouli and orange blossom -- IMHO, the lab description is most accurate -- "utterly feral and thoroughly rousing."

valentina

Im new to BPAL and im also a bit of a scent eater--at least with the floral scents. Im trying to find scents that have good throws and at least some staying power, but mostly a good throw. I absolutely love Morgause, Desdemona, Persephone, and so does my skin! It eats it all up! Dana O Shee lasts a long time on me, but it doesnt seem to have a throw. Maybe it does, I admit i have allergies so my sense of smell is kind of lacking! Thanks in advance!

a lot of it depends on your skin.

however, oils that last a long time on me (and i have skin that eats a lot of scents) are:

Beaver Moon :P

Lenore

Snake Oil

Wanda

Perversion

Tezcatlipoca

Sugar Skull

if your skin supports amber at all, a lot of the ambers tend to go for a long time on people (my skin hates amber :D )

n.

I think probably anything with resins will have good staying power and strong throw. ie: Snake Charmer, Midnight Mass.

Floral scents...on me, Moon Rose has pretty good throw.

Hi Miss Catelara....

Personally I think florals "scream" the loudest, but that's on my skin. Spicy musks and foody scents are also very strong for me, while resins and ambers and lighter musks are very gentle.

This thread over on the Recommendations subforum might help you.

I've found these to be very long lasting on me: Blood Kiss, Bordello, Hollywood Babylon, Snake Oil, Chimera, Hellfire, Perversion,Queen Mab and Highwayman.

These have moderate staying power on me: Tombstone, Moonrose, Black Rose, Whip (Ok just about anything with rose lasts a pretty long time) , Regan, Velvet, O,

and Wicked.

It really all depends on your personal chemistry.

For me, the scent that "knocks people down" and lasts ALL day is Highwayman. The vetiver does the job, but some people hate vetiver. Blood Kiss, which has a small amount of vetiver, also lasts forever. Snake Oil is excellent in this way as well, with no vetiver at all.