Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lunalight7

Oils with the strongest throw or sillage - the most noticeable scents

Hi folks! I'm pretty new (and immediately addicted) to BPAL. I recently received my first order of 12 imps as well as freebies and I love most of the scents. However, I need your help....

I'm the kinda sista that loves to smell myself when I'm wearing a scent....when I turn around, when I get out of the car....when I leave the computer to answer the phone, I wanna smell myself upon returning...when I leave the office, I wanna smell myself as soon as I return...Get my point?

The BPAL scents seem to have a "second skin" effect on me, which is lovely, but I NEED more throw. I've already placed a second order and my wish list for others is already a mile long....but it occurred to me that even if I love my selections, I'll be bummed if others can't detect them...I crave compliments on my fragrances....

I imagine that chemistry will affect the amount of throw, but can you share your experiences with scents that waft? Thanks! :P

Edited by ivyandpeony
added search terms to title and subtitle

You may find This thread useful - it's about making perfume spray. IIRC, the alcohol in traditional perfume is what gives it so much extra throw.

Edited by Lit Chick

Some scents I can apply forever without getting much throw. My skin will be soaking in the stuff, but the rest of the world would have no idea.

However, Scherezade and Dragon's Heart both had a *lot* of throw. To the point where if I wasn't careful applying them, I'd get comments/complaints/compliments from across the room. Same with Samhain.

Thanx for the responses!

Lit Chick, I didn't realize that alcohol gave throw to scents...I always thought that alcohol made the scent evaporate quicker and that perfume oils were more potent than commercial perfumes for this reason. Since BPAL oils are more potent than most, I thought I'd be scenting up the joint where ever I went.

I will look into making sprays w/ my scents as an experiment. Thanx for the link to the thread. :P

Water of Notre Dame has lots of throw, also. The strongest, longest lasting BPAL oil I've tried.

Tombstone has elicited responses (good ones) from people halfway across the room. If you like somewhat manly vanilla, I think this one has good throw.

The only ones I've tried that have had really strong throw are Hearth, Formula 54 and Yggdrasil. I know two are LE's, but they've been the absolute strongest. Yggdrasil was fantastic, though, I could smell myself all day long, especially when I moved. :P

I don't put enough on to have throw...but remember, throw has more to do with the person and how much they put on than the oil I think. If you are warmer/hot the scent will have more throw, if you're cold there will be little to no throw.

I don't put enough on to have throw...but remember, throw has more to do with the person and how much they put on than the oil I think.  If you are warmer/hot the scent will have more throw, if you're cold there will be little to no throw.

This is very true. When I put a scent on in the morning, I'm always disappointed at how I can hardly smell it after ten minutes. When I reapply a little in the afternoon, I can almost choke myself with how strong it is. The only difference I can think of is body heat.

I do notice a lot of oils are different. Some I could use a whole imp in a day, others I can only use a few drops or it's just too intense.

Lilith is one that seems to have a lot of throw for me (I wore that today so that's why I am thinking about it.)

I am the same way -- with me it's because I can barely smell anything unless I stick it right up my nose, so I like things that create a huge cloud of fragrance around me. Spellbound could stop traffic, I think, for me! And as a plus, I love it. Samhain as well, a little goes a long way. Venom is also incredibly strong and reminiscent of the perfume Poison to boot.

Also, putting them in my hair rather than on my skin seems to help me, personally. I have really long hair so there are lots of opportunities to let it float around me like a scented cloud!

Oddly enough, people always say they can smell what I'm wearing, even when I can't, though. Usually when I go into work people say "I knew you were here, I could smell you" or something to that effect. And I hope that they mean it nicely!

:P

I get the same thing, Sarada. I think it's just a matter of being so close to it constantly that we can't smell it...kind of like you don't really notice your clothes once you have them of for a while. I know there's a word for it, but I can't remember what it is...habituation? Yeah, habituation. :P

I can smell my perfume, but other people usually can't. However, two that have made a big impact were Jack (my first unsolicited compliment) and Bordello which, when I wore it the other day, broke the perfume barrier and elicited two compliments from people I've worked with on a daily basis for over three years.

I agree with Water of notre dame, and Chimera made my BF open the windows (all 4 of them) as soon as i entered.

Jester is also a big wafting scent only you have to like sweet berries

Bordello got me also a compliment from a co-worker, so I suppose it's a good one too.

Edited by quinkel

Thank you SO much for the recommendations ! I have added your suggestions to my ever-growing list (some were already there). The point about body heat makes sense. Also, in cold weather, I'm all bundled up and the scent can't waft from my skin as much. When my hair is down, I plan to try putting some there. Also, I was thinking...and I realized that since I only have imps at this point, I am applying the oils quite sparingly. Perhaps when I have more oil to work with, I can really get down and slather/layer it on....

Thanx again...and keep those rec's comin'!!! :P

if you like violets at all, Saturnalia just sings the tang of violet & dark vetiver at the top of its lungs.

most recently i was wearing The Raven, applied to both wrists and was paying attention to it over time to see how it lasted & changed. i decided to put a drop of Saturnalia in an un-Raven'd spot to compare the violet notes. JUST a drop of Saturnalia, a touch of fingertip to the back of my wrist. it became all i could smell.

some scents want body heat or chemistry to stimulate the different notes, Saturnalia doesn't need a thing. *VOOM* i just reviewed it as a good "hair annointment" scent for that reason. great for dark edwardian little girl or little gentleman days, ribbons in hat or hair and a few drops in the tresses and there you go.

I'm sleepless tonight, so I thougt I would ask, because I still reek of Belladonna.

What scents for you have 'throw', and by throw I mean both staying power, and effect at a distance.

we all know there are some scents here that are best appreciated by a lover, or another intimate friend, and some, that, well, everyone who would share an elevator with you can enjoy.

for me, the heavies:

belladonna

fenris wolf

mabon

De sade

Severin

and the mediums

saint-germain

cathode

*fill in the blank* moon

neo-tokyo

shattered

lightning

overall, what do you think? do you want a scent with striking distance, or somthing subtle for someone who gets rather close to you...

I think I'm both.

anyone else making these categories? and scents that are in the first list, what do you recommend? Let's have a list of scents with 'throw' that strike at a distance :P

Edited by erehwesle

I think it must depend on the individual, ie. which notes a particular body's chemistry amplifies or not. I have to say that while Severin made it to your 'heavy throw' category, I find it quite quiet and restrained, and has little staying power. I do agree with Fenris Wolf, though.

For me,

Throwy and long lasting (I have to be careful when applying unless going for 'effect'):

Sybaris

Embalming Fluid

Vixen

F54

Queen of Spades

Subtle

The Apothecary

Snake Oil

Snow White

The Moons

Skadi

Sudha Segara

I have many other oils that probably fall somewhere in between but these are the extreme cases I think.

Some of the ones that seem to get noticed and complimented by others when I wear them are Nemesis, Snake Oil and Le Serpent Qui Danse. Neither Rapture nor Desire really worked with my chemistry enough for me to love them, but both had lots of throw and staying power when I wore them (don't you love when that happens? I don't really like the way I smell, but I sure do smell... STRONG!) Other people liked my strong smell, however. :P

Siren has the most throw of any BPAL I've tried, and Snake Oil was very much a "skin scent" on me. I wish it were the other way around, I didn't like Siren :P but you may want to look into that one.

I really care most about scents w/ "striking distance" as well as staying power...I SO wanted Snake Oil to be noticed by others but, alas....only I enjoyed it if I sniffed my wrist or collar. After al....if the Love Potions really do attract others, then they would have to be able to detect it, no? I'm not close enough to anyone to be hugging up on them....I'm trying to GET to that point!!! :P

I will look into Siren and Belladonna....thanks again for responding...